Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,061 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I guess that's true. Hadn't thought of it that way. I guess I assumed because the fanbase is so massive and dedicated that scripts might pour in. But that makes sense.

I figured there might be a chance for a Halloween 6 situation. (Where they take a fan who's idea they liked to write a script. Granted, the final product was godawful.)
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'm not saying that can't happen, just that it hasn't yet and the chances are extremely low. Also, the barriers for entry in terms of even getting people of power to read scripts is so incredibly high, that there's no scenario in which fan-written SW scripts would ever "pour in" to Lucasfilm. Production companies and studios literally aren't officially allowed to read unsolicited scripts (meaning scripts that don't come from agencies or managers), and on the other side of the coin, if you *are* repped by an agency or manager, you're almost assuredly not going to be turning down potential paychecks to waste your time writing what amounts to Star Wars fan fiction.
YouBet
AG
Quote:

"I think it gives us a more open-ended view of storytelling and doesn't lock us into this three-act structure," she said. "We're not going to have some finite number and fit it into a box. We're really going to let the story dictate that."

Welll, she certainly didn't lock the latest trilogy into a three-act structure despite the fact it was a trilogy. The irony here is noted.
TCTTS
AG
"We don't want to be locked into the structure we completely ignored the last time."
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Their lack of planning for the ST has caused the majority of the issues. It doesn't matter if they are trilogies or not, they need to plan out a story arc and not just give each director carte blanche to do whatever their "subvert expectations" ideas are.

Totally agree.

However, it seems disingenuous to not note that NONE of the trilogies have been anything close to planned out.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248
AG
You don't think the prequels were? Find Anakin, introduce the sith, start a galaxy wide conflict, Anakin falls, empire begins seems like a plan.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

And he now has two trial runs with Mandalorian. 50% hit rate, imo.
Saul Goodman
AG
I'll be honest, I know he's new to it, but the two episodes he directed were the worst of the series so far, IMO.
TV Casualty
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Their lack of planning for the ST has caused the majority of the issues. It doesn't matter if they are trilogies or not, they need to plan out a story arc and not just give each director carte blanche to do whatever their "subvert expectations" ideas are.

Totally agree.

However, it seems disingenuous to not note that NONE of the trilogies have been anything close to planned out.

The OT certainly has it's continuity issues, but it's nowhere near the mess that the sequel trilogy has been. The LTJ left nowhere for the third act to go. It was so bad that they actually had to shoehorn the emperor back in.

The prequels were planned out, but just not in a way that was actually interesting.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
tk for tu juan said:

That is pretty cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I agree, and that's worrisome if he's to have a larger role at Lucasfilm.
TV Casualty
AG
Saul Goodman said:

I'll be honest, I know he's new to it, but the two episodes he directed were the worst of the series so far, IMO.

I largely liked the first episode. It did have a few scenes that were off, but overall I enjoyed it. The gunslinger episode wasn't too good though.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

tk for tu juan said:

That is pretty cool.
Very cool. Slave I was a street lamp!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On the 3rd day till Sithmas, my true love gave to me...

Ten Sith Lords a-killing,
Nine Tauntauns freezing (before they reach the first marker),
Eight Lukes a-milking,
Seven porgs a-roasting,
Six buns of Leia,
Five Golden Rods,
Four falling Sheevs,
Three hench of Ren,
Two crystal foxes,
And a Baby Yoda in a force tree.
Malachi Constant
AG
can't wait to see what the 11th and 12th days are lol
The Collective
AG
TCTTS
AG
That's really well done.
TCTTS
AG
After this weekend, with the next theatrical Star Wars movie not scheduled to hit until the end of 2022 - three years from this very week - a list of many of the big-name movies and TV series that will come and go before then...

- In terms of Star Wars, season two (and potentially seasons three and four) of The Mandalorian, at least one if not two seasons of the Cassian Andor series, and of course the Obi-Wan series.
- The entire phase four of the MCU (movies and TV series alike).
- A third Bad Boys movie.
- The fifth and final Daniel Craig Bond movie.
- A second Top Gun movie.
- A new Christopher Nolan movie.
- A third Bill & Ted movie.
- Godzilla will finally fight Kong.
- A reinvention of Dune in the form of at least one movie and at least one season of TV.
- A fourth Matrix movie.
- A fourth John Wick movie.
- A third Jurassic World movie.
- A brand new live-action iteration of The Batman.
- A minimum of seven additional DC movies.
- A fifth Indiana Jones movie.
- A second Space Jam movie.
- A second Avatar movie.
- Two more Mission: Impossible movies.
- Two more Fast & Furious movies.
- Five more Pixar movies.
- Seasons three and possibly four of Westworld.
- At least one if not two seasons of House of the Dragon, the Game of Thrones spinoff.
- At least one if not two seasons of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series.

Of course, what's funny is that we've been so spoiled, three years used to be the standard between Star Wars movies. Still, it's kind of crazy to think how much the cinematic and streaming landscapes are going to change between now and then.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

three years used to be the standard between Star Wars movies
And that three years, especially the time between the release of Empire and Jedi, was a living hell. Between the original and Empire was not the same, as I was not even aware that another movie was being made until, and my memory is foggy here, but at least until the Holiday Special aired (can't recall if that was Christmas 77 or 78).

The two year time frame between episode movies has been a double-edged sword, though. Previously, a Star Wars movie was a special thing that came along far too infrequently - at least for 10-16 year old me. Now that they have come at a faster rate, they wait is not so seemingly forever, but when coupled with the other releases they have put in there (R1, Solo), there has been a bit of an over-saturation.

There is a bit of sadness in me for what is coming this weekend (tickets for 7:00PM on Friday night). Star Wars was first released when I was 9, although I had my 10th birthday before I got around to seeing it. I'm now 52. That's the vast majority of my freaking life that Star Wars has been a big thing. Yeah, there was a long period where there were no movies, no nothing of any kind with the exception of Tim Zahn's awesome books that came out in the early 90s, but in the back of my mind, I always knew Lucas was going to return with the initial three episodes - so there was always some thinking about what those films might look like. As it turned out, I had some things right, some things wrong, in my thinking, but all in all, I was just ecstatic to finally get to see his vision for those movies. Others here consistently point out their problems, but to each his own. So with all these years of watching and thinking about these movies (I even wrote a bunch of books when I was in JH/HS set in that galaxy far, far away), The Rise of Skywalker represents the end of an era for a whole lot of people.
DB Coach
AG
TCTTS said:

After this weekend, with the next theatrical Star Wars movie not scheduled to hit until the end of 2022 - three years from this very week - a list of many of the big-name movies and TV series that will come and go before then...

- In terms of Star Wars, season two (and potentially seasons three and four) of The Mandalorian, at least one if not two seasons of the Cassian Andor series, and of course the Obi-Wan series.
- The entire phase four of the MCU (movies and TV series alike).
- A third Bad Boys movie.
- The fifth and final Daniel Craig Bond movie.
- A second Top Gun movie.
- A new Christopher Nolan movie.
- A third Bill & Ted movie.
- Godzilla will finally fight Kong.
- A reinvention of Dune in the form of at least one movie and at least one season of TV.
- A fourth Matrix movie.
- A fourth John Wick movie.
- A third Jurassic World movie.
- A brand new live-action iteration of The Batman.
- A minimum of seven additional DC movies.
- A fifth Indiana Jones movie.
- A second Space Jam movie.
- A second Avatar movie.
- Two more Mission: Impossible movies.
- Two more Fast & Furious movies.
- Five more Pixar movies.
- Seasons three and possibly four of Westworld.
- At least one if not two seasons of House of the Dragon, the Game of Thrones spinoff.
- At least one if not two seasons of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series.

Of course, what's funny is that we've been so spoiled, three years used to be the standard between Star Wars movies. Still, it's kind of crazy to think how much the cinematic and steaming landscapes are going to change between now and then.
That's a bunch of horse****! Why Disney, why?!
Malachi Constant
AG
I'm in the same boat, I had a whole post typed up about how star wars has been with my my whole life (born in 1983, same year as ROTJ). Accidentally closed the browser and lost it.

In summary, it's the end of the skywalker era which has always been with us beginning in 1977. Between movies, shows, video games like KOTOR, and merchandise, Star Wars has been a part of all our lives for 50 years (or 36 in my case).

Truly the end of an era.
5 Keys to Victory: 1. Out Hit 2. Out Hustle 3. Out Execute 4. Win the Kicking Game 5. Play with Emotion
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On the 2nd day till Sithmas, my true love gave to me...

Eleven Mandos sniping,
Eight Lukes a-milking,
Seven porgs a-roasting,
Six buns of Leia,
Five Golden Rods,
Four falling Sheevs,
Three hench of Ren,
Two crystal foxes,
redline248
AG
If they want to really end the Skywalker era, they better come up with some really good characters on the future. So far, they've introduced no one worth caring about in the movies.
The Collective
AG
Spilner, come back!

Ag Since 83
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On the last till Sithmas, my true love gave to me...

Twelve Anis spinning,
Eleven Mandos sniping,
Eight Lukes a-milking,
Seven porgs a-roasting,
Six buns of Leia,
Five Golden Rods,
Four falling Sheevs,
Three hench of Ren,
Two crystal foxes,
ABHag
AG
So outside of Obi Wans solo film, are we still getting another trilogy or have they all been canned? I remember Rian Johnson was getting his own and then the Game of Thrones guys we're getting their own.
TCTTS
AG
Short answer... no one knows. Last week, Kathleen Kennedy said no more trilogies going forward. Then this week, Bob Iger said actually, no, there will likely still be trilogies going forward. Game of Thrones guys quit/we're fired a few weeks ago. Whatever Rian Johnson is doing sounds up in the air. And the Obi-Wan movie is now a Disney+ series. Apparently decisions are being made early in the new year, but at this point Kennedy may not even have a job then.
The Collective
AG
The hype is strong with this one.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

This makes me really happy and sad at the same time.

But mostly happy.
Urban Ag
AG
*********it I'm going to be a wreck today

10 hours, 28 minutes to go

First Page Last Page
Page 883 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.