Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,434 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't watched any of the animated series (never been much of an animation guy), but lately I've been more and more curious to watch Clone Wars. (I did watch the movie, which did NOTHING for me, and the first 2-3 episodes.)

Maybe I'll pick it back up, and eventually make it to Rebels.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

C@LAg said:

D&D Off Star Wars. Trilogy dead.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wars-setback-game-of-thrones-duo-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-exit-trilogy-1202771184/

WTF
That is definitely not a setback.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I haven't watched any of the animated series (never been much of an animation guy), but lately I've been more and more curious to watch Clone Wars. (I did watch the movie, which did NOTHING for me, and the first 2-3 episodes.)

just watch the first episode of Rebels and youll wnt to binge.
exitone
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Clone Wars series is great. They usually work in 3 episode arcs... some of them are not great, there are I think two that were horrible... but the rest were great. We need to point out the good ones for you and have you watch those.
exitone
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ok, I have some thoughts.

I have been a pretty staunch defender of Kathleen Kennedy up to this point. She's been responsible for some of the biggest box office hits of all time, including the highest-grossing movie in Force Awakens.

But enough is enough. There seems to be NO order behind the scenes at Lucasfilm.

Look, I know we don't have all the details with whatever happened with D&D. But, it almost doesn't matter. Either Kennedy fired them and allowed them to make a statement to save face, or D&D decided to leave of their own accord. But either way, it's a terrible look for Lucasfilm.

We are talking about the best and biggest media franchise in American entertainment. If things are bad enough that the guys you hired to shepherd the next phase of your franchise, jump ship for Netflix?

It's either that, or you are making official announcements way before you should, counting your eggs before they hatch, or whatever you want to call it.

But this is not the kind of thing that should be happening. And the buck stops with Kathleen. Things are clearly a cluster**** behind the scenes and nobody is steering the ship.

It's time for a change. Get Favreau in there. Get Filoni. Get JJ. I don't care who it is, but it needs to be someone who the company can rally behind and who will clean up whatever mess is going on right now.

I could well be overreacting, but this is happened too many times by now. The writing is on the wall with the Rian Johnson deal, so expect that story to hit within the next few months, too.

This latest announcement is really odd. Either:
1) Lucasfilm (Kennedy) either screwed something up again or went back on their word
2) D&B signed the Netflix deal and over extended themselves.

I'm thinking '2' might be the issue. These are two huge projects. You cant split your time towards both and expect to come up with a quality project. These guys may be great at world building, but this was a stupid greedy decision. And to pick Netflix over SW (which basically this amounts to) is idiotic. Netflix is a massive jenga tower ready to fall down at any moment. If they choose Netflix (money) over SW, then these are not the guys telling the story.

As far as getting rid of Kennedy, I agree. She needs to go. After the disaster of TLJ which showed no planning (how in the heck can you not have this trilogy not mapped out from day 1), and the disaster that was Solo (which in the end I thought was a good movie).. it just shows a lack of leadership.

I agree, I would love to have either Favreau or Filoni. Favreau is not practical. He has too many things going on, but Filoni would be great. It will be interesting to see how Feige inserts himself into all this now. Maybe that is what they are setting him up for.
Urban Ag
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'd take the Lucasfilm job. I'd hire Muckraker as lead consultant, TCTTS to helm the writing and production, Spilner as head of media relations (basically it's his job to relentlessly defend everything we do. You know, like he does on here.) and guys like Urban Ag and Cinco Ranch to hang out and drink beer and watch the movies with me.
Good News. I have Six Sigma, Black Belt, Jedi Master level qualifications with references for hanging out and drinking beer. Whiskey too. I'm also much more likeable in person and generally maintain acceptable hygiene levels.
redline248
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

The reason it didn't have massive reshoots is BECAUSE it had a large room full of idiot writers that all loved what they came up with and no one to say "No, that's ****ing stupid!"
Sounds like George during the prequels

Yes, exactly. Disney didn't learn from that history
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Belton Ag said:

I'd take the Lucasfilm job. I'd hire Muckraker as lead consultant, TCTTS to helm the writing and production, Spilner as head of media relations (basically it's his job to relentlessly defend everything we do. You know, like he does on here.) and guys like Urban Ag and Cinco Ranch to hang out and drink beer and watch the movies with me.
I have never defended Solo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

redline248 said:

The reason it didn't have massive reshoots is BECAUSE it had a large room full of idiot writers that all loved what they came up with and no one to say "No, that's ****ing stupid!"
Sounds like George during the prequels

Yes, exactly. Disney didn't learn from that history
Neither did the Empire. Am I right?
Saxsoon
AG
I honestly think it is a combination of them over extending and Disney seeing the backlash against the last season of Game of Thrones
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I assume Rebels will be on Disney+. Clone Wars was too up and down for me, plus there were some episodes that featured JarJar. Rebels has some filler episodes like any show, but it's an overall solid show, don't let the fact that it's animated turn you off.
Ag Since 83
AG
Clone Wars is very hit and miss. Rebels is pretty solid overall. Resistance is crap
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Belton Ag said:

Shouldn't need to. That movie is awesome so no one talks badly about it.
Farmer1906
AG
Is anyone else more excited for The Mandalorian than Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?
double aught
AG
Not me. Not even close. Mandalorian looks cool, but it's not in the same ballpark.
Urban Ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Is anyone else more excited for The Mandalorian than Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?
This guy.

Although I admit the last TROS trailer reeled me.

But The Mandalorian is literally why I love SW. Same for R1.
The Collective
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I am really excited about the Mandalorian, because it is close. Excitement for IX is building though, partially because I don't know WTF to expect out of it.
Urban Ag
AG
Dude. The Mando in a couple weeks. College and NFL in full swing. Halloween in two days. Hunting season. Cooler weather. Thanksgiving. Vegas trip in four weeks. TROS. Christmas. Bowl Season. NY's. Playoffs.

Can't slap the smile off my face for the next 10-12 weeks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Belton Ag said:

Shouldn't need to. That movie is awesome so no one talks badly about it.
Plenty do.
My Dad Earl
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Absolutely. TLJ just killed all momentum with the trilogy for me that I don't even care how they end it. Besides, I'm not even sure who the villain is in this trilogy, and if its Kylo Ren, then he absolutely sucks as an antagonist.

So far, the spinoffs have far exceeded the main movies IMO. I actually like Solo and Rogue One was so unbelievably good thats it's probably my second favorite film in the whole saga. I've got high hopes for the Mandalorian.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

then he absolutely sucks as an antagonist.
Have to disagree. Flawed and complex villains are so much more interesting than just a run-of-the-mill bad guy.

He's entitled, arrogant, cocky, and yet still unsure of himself, perhaps even whiny, but that doesn't make him a bad antagonist, it makes him a more interesting character.

Just my take.
My Dad Earl
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Have to disagree. Flawed and complex villains are so much more interesting than just a run-of-the-mill bad guy.

He's entitled, arrogant, cocky, and yet still unsure of himself, perhaps even whiny, but that doesn't make him a bad antagonist, it makes him a more interesting character.

Just my take.
That's fine. We can disagree. I think for me, I fall into the trap of comparing the antagonist to Darth Vader. So evil and menacing yet always relaxed and always in control. Hell, I even thought Darth Maul was a fantastic villain. The temper tantrums for Kylo and the fact that he couldn't defeat a girl the first time she's touched a lightsaber just really turned me off.
TXAG 05
AG
I would like Kylo a lot more if they had gone with a different actor. That guy just looks like a Starbucks barista instead of someone wanting to take over for Darth Vader. Haven't seen him in anything else so he may be a great actor, but just doesn't fit what he should, at least to me. Plus he killed Han Solo, so he needs to die.
TXAG 05
AG
My Dad Earl said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Just my take.
That's fine. We can disagree. I think for me, I fall into the trap of comparing the antagonist to Darth Vader. So evil and menacing yet always relaxed and always in control. Hell, I even thought Darth Maul was a fantastic villain. The temper tantrums for Kylo and the fact that he couldn't defeat a girl the first time she's touched a lightsaber just really turned me off.

This. Why should anyone be afraid of him?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think they were looking at Hayden Christensen when they cast Driver. When you compare the two, it's pretty damn good casting.

He's no Harrison Ford, but I think that is part of what makes him interesting. I think the fact that he wears the mask says a lot about how insecure he is. (And how desperate he is to be Vader.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Random/unrelated aside: I wonder if Kylo knows what Anakin looked like, and how similar they are?

This thought made me realize there's no such thing as pictures in Star Wars. It's actually kind of odd when you think about it. I guess they have holograms, though.
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think they were looking at Hayden Christensen when they cast Driver. When you compare the two, it's pretty damn good casting.

He's no Harrison Ford, but I think that is part of what makes him interesting. I think the fact that he wears the mask says a lot about how insecure he is. (And how desperate he is to be Vader.)

Didn't think of that, makes sense, if that's what they were going for. They are both long haired, temper tantrum throwing crybabies. Christensen is another example of a different actor making the role much better, although you can only do so much with Lucas' dialogue. HCs portrayal was nothing what I had pictured for Anakin.
TCTTS
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

I would like Kylo a lot more if they had gone with a different actor. That guy just looks like a Starbucks barista instead of someone wanting to take over for Darth Vader. Haven't seen him in anything else so he may be a great actor, but just doesn't fit what he should, at least to me. Plus he killed Han Solo, so he needs to die.

I don't know. He fits the role perfectly to me. That, and he's worked with Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, the Coen Brothers, Steven Soderbergh, Noah Baumbach, and Jim Jarmusch. Basically ever major director is clamoring to work with him and he's almost assuredly going to be nominated for an Oscar this year with Marriage Story (which comes out next week), and is probably the favorite to win as of now. Then he has The Report coming out the week after that, which is getting stellar reviews as well. With TROS the very next month, the dude is about to be on apex mountain. He owns Hollywood right now.
YellowPot_97
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Random/unrelated aside: I wonder if Kylo knows what Anakin looked like, and how similar they are?

This thought made me realize there's no such thing as pictures in Star Wars. It's actually kind of odd when you think about it. I guess they have holograms, though.

In a cut scene from AOTC, Padame has moving pictures in her childhood bedroom.
TXAG 05
AG
Didn't know he got around that much. And you are right, he fits what they did with the character, I guess I just wanted a badass for the bad guy instead of what we got.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's less that he isn't a badass and more that they stupidly/instantly gave Rey superpowers with no training whatsoever. So that dynamic naturally makes him look like a putz sometimes because he's supposed to be the well-trained Force user, but he's getting beat by a girl with no training. It's just a nonsensical dynamic that Kylo gets the worst of for no other reason than bad writing on Rey's part. But I remember watching Kylo's scenes the first time around - before Rey starts to get the upper hand - and thinking that he was such a formidable badass That opening scene where he stops the laser in mid air is amazing and I think more effective than even Vader's intro. He was a legit scary villain until they had the girl-with-no-training start to outmatch him when he's trying to Force-pull the map from her mind.
Sex Panther
AG
I think that's my biggest gripe with the new trilogy. Rey literally picks up a lightsaber for the first time and is apparently the most badass person in the galaxy. Nothing earned whatsoever. It's lame and doesn't make me connect with her the way I should. Which is a shame cuz Daisy definitely has the it factor.
The Collective
AG
Nothing to add, but just want to say again I am a huge Kylo Ren fan.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. And it sounds like they're trying to play it off as the Force balancing itself out - "choosing" Rey to represent the light to "rise up" and meet the dark or whatever - but that's just a bunch of mumbo jumbo they're adding to cover the fact that Abrams and Kasdan couldn't figure out a way to believably train Rey before she took on Kylo.
Dro07
AG
I still remember the rumors about Rey being a previous student of Luke and went into exile when the Kylo destroyed Lukes temple. Would have made more sense to have that but this is where we are I guess.
First Page Last Page
Page 870 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.