Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,961 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If I could buy tickets for nextDecember,.I would.
Told my roommate this last night. I'd probably be willing to throw down a hundred bucks to have a seat for the first IMAX viewing on opening night in Dallas
wesag
AG
quote:
Talking to my brother on the phone about the trailer and we both pinpointed out biggest fear, wanted to share with the group.

It's that whomever/whatever the villain of this thing is lessens what happened in the OT between Vader, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, and Luke. I'm not sure who the villain is or what his/her/its motivations are, but I really fear it being some "ancient evil" that comes out of nowhere that is ridiculously more powerful than Palpatine was, and that was sleeping or dormant or watching from afar as the events of the Galactic Civil War played out.

Anyone else feel that way?

One problem with Star Wars is that it tries to achieve to many overreaching climaxes. Every story has to have some galaxy wide consequence. That isn't necessary.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I feel like the villain will be somebody that worships Vader and/or the Emperor and not just some ancient evil that was watching everything from afar.

Or maybe something/one nobody sees coming, like Darth Maul. But that's wishful thinking.
Sex Panther
AG
I bet it's Thanos
wesag
AG
quote:
I feel like the villain will be somebody that worships Vader and/or the Emperor and not just some ancient evil that was watching everything from afar.

Or maybe something/one nobody sees coming, like Darth Maul. But that's wishful thinking.

Hopefully. You can't keep making a bigger Sauron.
dave94
AG
quote:
Talking to my brother on the phone about the trailer and we both pinpointed out biggest fear, wanted to share with the group.
Not too kick you too hard in the nuts, but I'm picturing you and your brother talking for hours about this.

I'm so excited, I'm so scared!

It's okay, my brother and I nerd out about stuff like this sometimes too!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:

It's that whomever/whatever the villain of this thing is lessens what happened in the OT between Vader, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, and Luke. I'm not sure who the villain is or what his/her/its motivations are, but I really fear it being some "ancient evil" that comes out of nowhere that is ridiculously more powerful than Palpatine was, and that was sleeping or dormant or watching from afar as the events of the Galactic Civil War played out.

Anyone else feel that way?

I kind of get that vibe as well, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. With all the sixth we're aware of dead, they have to pull some new ones out of somewhere.

The vibe I get is whoever is giving the voiceover is almost some sort of Sith version of Yoda, living in seclusion somewhere, and he summons a younger Sith to him to hatch some plan. (The shot of the Sith in the snow even feels like it might be the young Sith coming to the master's planet, cocky and ready for a fight if it's a trap, but also peering into the dark, unsure what he'll find.)
wangus12
AG
Maybe Serkis is doing the motion capture work for an actual Sith, not that its really all that necessary.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
You know, the Sith baddie from this new trilogy might have been hiding from the emperor as well. I bet Palpatine would have about as much tolerance for rival Sith romping around as he would for any remaining Jedi.

That would explain why this new Sith threat is one we haven't seen.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:
Not too kick you too hard in the nuts, but I'm picturing you and your brother talking for hours about this.

I'm so excited, I'm so scared!

It's okay, my brother and I nerd out about stuff like this sometimes too!

Hell, if its Star Wars or ISIS, I'll talk Empire all day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
One problem with Star Wars is that it tries to achieve to many overreaching climaxes. Every story has to have some galaxy wide consequence. That isn't necessary.
I actually get the vibe that won't be the case with this movie. That will probably come later.

I think this one will be most similar to Empire, with the climax being more about the future of one (or several) of our new characters, whether or not they will fall to the dark side or remain in the light. A more personal story, that probably will eventually lead to large-scale war in Ep VIII or IX.

Granted this is based on nothing really, that's just the vibe I'm getting.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
You know, the Sith baddie from this new trilogy might have been hiding from the emperor as well. I bet Palpatine would have about as much tolerance for rival Sith romping around as he would for any remaining Jedi.

Something along these lines is what Im hoping for as well. I really like the Sith Yoda idea. Going forward, I just want the galaxy in the movies to be a bit bigger than the one we've been shown so far. I actually want a villain (or villains) that has kind of been lurking in the shadows, maybe for decades. Having only Palpatine/Vader and then nothing for 30 years makes it all feel so small and contained. I would love it if there was some other villain in some other corner of the galaxy finally coming forward and revealing himself - whether he's more powerful than Palpatine or not - and then essentially training Driver's character to whatever degree.
redline248
AG
quote:

This has been my stance all along. Which brings me back to this: What threat can exist that Luke couldn't deal with at this point? He essentially took down the 2 most powerful Sith in history.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

If this is the case, they'd have to come up with a damn good explanation as to how Palps didn't feel the presence of this person if he was so powerful with the dark side. If he could feel Anakin he'd feel this person as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To be fair redline, he only took down Vader.
Keegan99
AG
And there was a strong implication that Palps was powerful enough to create Anakin, too.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
This has been my stance all along. Which brings me back to this: What threat can exist that Luke couldn't deal with at this point? He essentially took down the 2 most powerful Sith in history.

Himself. That's the basic gist of what the movie's about. I don't know how much I can talk about in this thread, but the super generic version is that he has apparently become so powerful, he voluntarily goes into hiding as to not be used/tempted by either side of the Force.
redline248
AG
quote:

You know, Luke took a real gamble there. What if Vader decides to just let the emperor kill Luke? There was no guarantee the rebels would destroy the Death Star and kill the emperor.
wesag
AG
quote:
quote:

Himself. That's the basic gist of what the movie's about. I don't know how much I can talk about in this thread, but the super generic version is that he has apparently become so powerful, he voluntarily goes into hiding as to not be used/tempted by either side of the Force.

Stop right there. No spoilers please. This isn't that thread, or at least I hope not.
redline248
AG
What temptation is there from the light side? Having already been tempted and turning away from the dark side once, it would be dumb to me for it to keep happening.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

You know, Luke took a real gamble there. What if Vader decides to just let the emperor kill Luke? There was no guarantee the rebels would destroy the Death Star and kill the emperor.
True. But also (and I realize that the prequels are basically backfilling the story here) but Anakin/Vader had lost his mother and Padme. When the Emperor was about to kill Luke, he saw an opportunity to prevent a loss of another member of his family. A chance he didn't have with his mother and failed at with Padme.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Suppose the temptation is simply being one of the most powerful force users in the galaxy with essentially no opposition, seemingly.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Stop right there. No spoilers please. This isn't that thread, or at least I hope not.

Fair enough. But this is basic set-up info that will no doubt be in the trailers. If you want to remain completely free of any knowledge whatsoever about the movie, discussing it on a internet message board probably isn't the best idea. "Spoilers" don't equal essential, first-act plot points likely to be revealed in the marketing. "Spoilers" are plot twists, turns, and reveals. Asking people not to discuss the basic set-up of the movie is kind of absurd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If it's not in the teaser, it's spoiler territory imo. All of this is still theory/speculation.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
You know, Luke took a real gamble there. What if Vader decides to just let the emperor kill Luke? There was no guarantee the rebels would
destroy the Death Star and kill the emperor.

I always thought Luke surrendered in order to buy the Rebellion time to blow up the shield generator and the Death Star, believing his presence could occupy Vader & Palps.

He was willing to die for the Rebellion to succeed.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
If it's not in the teaser, it's spoiler territory imo. All of this is still theory/speculation.

Also, I was specifically answering a question asked in this thread. With theory/speculation. None of this stuff is even remotely confirmed yet.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Saying Luke beat Vader and Palpatine is a bit if a stretch. True, Like had Vader beat, but that might just have been because Vader couldn't bring himself to kill Luke. Palpatine was kicking Luke's butt before Vader betrayed him.

If the emperor couldn't detect Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, or the Star Wars rebels crew, there's no reason to think a Sith couldn't have hid from him as well.

Edited for Siri errors.
jr15aggie
AG
I think one thing we can count on is that JJ will not worry so much about stepping on past Star Wars stuff. The whole "only two, there are" is one thing I wouldn't be surprised we see changed. For example, the new Star Wars Rebels TV show has the Inquisitor who uses a lightsaber and knows the dark side... yet he is running around when Vader and Palps are alive (he references, "My Master" in the show... not sure if that's Vader or Palps).

I don't expect to see anything too bold in Ep VII... but as the series goes on I can definitely see Luke training more Jedi and the Sith also handing out lightsabers to anyone who can use the force and gets angry easily.

Regarding Serkis, it has been officially confirmed that it was indeed his voice in the trailer (not something JJ was keeping a secret). My personal opinion the first time I heard it was we were listening to the new sith master... just sounded too sinister when he spoke the words "dark side".
Ulrich
I love Andy Serkis. Evidently he's turning into a pretty good director, too.
Ulrich
...and by evidently, I mean I saw one line in an interview a year ago that implied that he may be a good director.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Andy is Mr. Franchise.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:

If this is the case, they'd have to come up with a damn good explanation as to how Palps didn't feel the presence of this person if he was so powerful with the dark side. If he could feel Anakin he'd feel this person as well.
Palpatine couldn't detect Yoda either, and he was the strongest Jedi. This is book stuff, but Luke speculates that the dark side cave that he enters while training (where he fought the Vader that had his face) was strong enough in dark side force that it hid Yoda's presence, like a positive and negative charge canceling each other out. The same could be done with a Sith and a place strong enough in the light side of the force.
wesag
AG
I'm not upset at anybody. Don't be offended at my aversion to spoilers. just how I roll.
Saxsoon
AG
Interesting page on the Rule of Two.

It seems like they broke that Rule a lot anyway and Sidious was mad enough to think he can have the Rule of One

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two
redline248
AG
That mixes a lot of book lore into history. If it's from a book it doesn't count.
First Page Last Page
Page 85 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.