Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,534 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 51 min ago by TCTTS
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the whole reason the Sith exist is because they have jedi powers but don't believe in following jedi rules. So some ancient rule of two unenforced by anything would be easy to ignore.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The rule actually was broken, if Force Unleashed is canon. (In my headcanon, it's not.)
redline248
AG
Force Unleashed isn't canon anymore...

..but while we're going down the legends branch of Rule of Two, this is how it worked when Darth Bane took over (Darth Bane creating the rule of two is still canon, as seen in the Clone Wars cartoon when Yoda was learning about becoming a force ghost).

The Sith were all murdering, backstabbing, morons and Darth Bane decided it couldn't continue that way. So he set up a plot for all the Sith to destroy themselves, and a bunch of Jedi, and he hid himself away. Found a force sensitive and taught her that the Jedi sucked, but the Sith had to remain hidden until the buitl up enough clout/power/resources to make a move. He said I'll teach you how to be a bad ass in the dark side, and one day it will be your job to kill me and find your own apprentice. If you fail, I kill you and start over with someone else.

So, it was never intended for there to be strictly two, but the apprentice was supposed to be certain he/she could kill the master before really trying to make a new Sith.

When we get to the prequels, there is only Palpatine and Maul. Maul dies, so Palps recruits Dooku. However, he knows Dooku is too damn old to find his own apprentice, learn everything, and be in a position to take over...so he works on Anakin on the side. (In some of the legends books, this creates a ton of jealousy in Dooku for Anakin).

The biggest question about it, for me, is if they were secret for 1000 years, how did Yoda/Mace learn about the Rule of Two?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
twilly
AG
Starting to see multiple rumors that say Lucasfilm and Rian Johnson have parted ways and his trilogy plans have been shelved. Is this fanboy fake news?
TCTTS
AG
Just looked it up and the "news" originated from a site called "Super Bro Movies," who sites "multiple sources," which sounds super fishy for a site no one's ever heard of before. And the only sites running this seem to be second rate movie blogs. On one hand, it would not surprise me at all if Johnson and Lucasfilm ultimately part ways, but a site called "Super Bro Movies" almost certainly isn't going to be the one to break that news. In other words, who knows, but I seriously doubt it. Let's wait and see if any legit outlets weigh in.
AliasMan02
AG
twilly said:

Starting to see multiple rumors that say Lucasfilm and Rian Johnson have parted ways and his trilogy plans have been shelved. Is this fanboy fake news?

Making Star Wars says the rumors are untrue. He has good sources and claimed some of them laughed when he inquired.
TCTTS
AG
And there's your answer. Making Star Wars is about as plugged into Lucasfilm as can be.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Mr. White
RJ is still a smarmy smart-ass. Yay.
twilly
AG
Yeah I thought this RJ news had a bit of a smell to it. Thanks for additional info. With news about the Benioff and Weiss movies making some noise this week, doesn't surprise me at all that somebody dragged the RJ rumor out of the weeds.
Beat40
Mr. White said:

Think he deserves to be after the amount of hate he has received over a movie he made. I get being disappointed in his decisions for that movie, but the flat out unadulterated hate he received was unnecessary.

Star Wars fan has ruined several people who have taken on roles - at least RJ has the self-confidence to dish it out.
Dro07
AG
he was a nozzle before the hate though... thats what amplified it even more.
The Collective
AG
Beat40 said:

but the flat out unadulterated hate he received was unnecessary.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Damn it, Liam.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn it, Liam.

I choose to believe this is true because the alternative is so much worse
TCTTS
AG
Beat40 said:

Mr. White said:

Think he deserves to be after the amount of hate he has received over a movie he made. I get being disappointed in his decisions for that movie, but the flat out unadulterated hate he received was unnecessary.

Star Wars fan has ruined several people who have taken on roles - at least RJ has the self-confidence to dish it out.

Agreed. He might have made a movie a lot of us don't particularly like, but in his position I already would have murdered someone had I been faced with all the hate he gets directly on a daily basis. I've said this before and I'll say it again, but in a town full of assh*les, he's easily one of the nicest, most outgoing, most engaging people in the business. Besides, he followed up his "smarmy" comment with this...

Belton Ag
AG
It's amazing the amount of hate that goes on for people who make movies others don't like, coach sports teams that don't win enough games, or have different political beliefs (this goes for the left and right in our society, not just Forum 16). This is probably a symptom of social media because I've noticed it more and more as I've gotten older.
Flashdiaz
AG
Social media gives everyone a voice... not everyone should be heard.
Fenrir
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn it, Liam.
Where did these SW/George Lucas "we just filmed" memes come from? They always make me laugh but this is the only place I see them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ha!
Dro07
AG
holy crap!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
I appreciate you for getting us through these times with no news.
bearamedic99
AG
sorry, I can't keep up with this thread but any idea when we will have a title or teaser for this Ep 9?
TCTTS
AG
The first trailer will almost assuredly debut at SW Celebration in mid-April. The title was assumed to have been announced by now, but since it's not, it'll likely be announced at Celebration as well, though it could obviously come at any point between now and then. In other words, give it two months and the landslide begins. Not only for Episode IX but The Mandalorian as well.
redline248
AG
This is one of my favorites that you've posted
TCTTS
AG
For those interested in all the ancillary products - figures, books, comics, games, etc. - October 4 looks to be your day. Star Wars Triple Force Friday. That's when the first wave of merchandise releases for Episode IX, The Mandalorian, and the upcoming video game. What this also tells us is that The Mandalorian, and thus likely Disney+, isn't releasing before October 4. It has basically always been assumed release later in the year anyway, though some were speculating "second half of 2019," but we can now at least peg it to October, November, or December...

TCTTS
AG
Had never seen this version before...

FL_Ag1998
AG

At the risk of being one of those old guys who always says things were better back in their days, I can appreciate the state of FX and graphic arts these days, and being able to stream movies, etc...but man, movies just seemed to be so much more of a spectacle back in the "old" days.

The posters like these...the trailers...the hype...the summer times that would be dominated by one or two movies at most, rather than a new "blockbuster" coming out every weekend. You ****ing youngsters just don't understand. If you weren't a kid in the 80's watching Goonies for the first time, you just don't understand.
I'm sorry but the 1980's-90's were the heydays of movie spectacles..
IronRed13
AG
TCTTS said:

Had never seen this version before...

Was Lando supposed to be played by Bill Murray in blackface?
Ag Since 83
AG
Got a variation of that one signed by Hamill, Fisher, Williams, Daniels, Baker, and Mayhew
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Where?
First Page Last Page
Page 790 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.