Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,005 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bangobango said:

I was watching Midnights Edge After Dark the other day and there's been rumblings about discussions about Kennedy's performance for a few weeks now. I do feel that she's right on ever point.

I also completely agree that Filoni would be the logical choice. He's over all Lucasfilm animation iirc, and I think he is or was on Story Group. Story Group has also been relatively absent in mention from anything I've read lately, and they were usually being mentioned early on for the sequel trilogy. And Pablo Hidalgo was pretty involved with Rebels.
Render
AG
bangobango said:

Wow that's a great analysis. Thanks for sharing. I was leaning towards seeing 9 out of morbid curiosity, but she convinced me to stay home instead. Kennedy's career needs to burn.
Ulrich
I don't really want to discuss the meat of the video any more, I don't know enough to have an educated opinion about the behind the scenes stuff. That said...

Dave Filoni is clearly the backup quarterback of Star Wars. I have no idea who he is or what he does other than that it involves the cartoons, but he's definitely the most popular guy on the team right now.
redline248
AG
The only thing I don't like about Filoni, which isn't a big sticking point with me, is his propensity to shoehorn in old canon to make it new canon, or retconning new stuff to make it fit the original trilogy.
Ag Since 83
AG
I like Filoni and all, but I really fear that if he ran everything we'd get Mortis, purrgils, and that weird time travel world in a movie. Yuck. Step up from midichlorians I guess.

Interesting video, but she seems to really generalize fans into one of two camps.
MandoArms
Check out the SDCC special edition Thrawn Alliances cover art.

https://nerdist.com/star-wars-thrawn-alliances-anakin-skywalker-cover/

Anakin in his Clone War armor...yea I dig it.
IG: mando_arms
SeattleAgJr
Ag Since 83 said:

I like Filoni and all, but I really fear that if he ran everything we'd get Mortis, purrgils, and that weird time travel world in a movie. Yuck. Step up from midichlorians I guess.

Interesting video, but she seems to really generalize fans into one of two camps.
that was George Lucas.

No Filoni.
Ag Since 83
AG
All of that was in the last season of Rebels. Definitely Filoni
Render
AG
One of the reasons I didn't watch Clone Wars and Rebels was because of that exact fact. Lots of weirdo fantasy stuff - it was like they pulled the worst stuff from the EU. I remember a Nightsister using magic to literally make Maul new legs out of nothing. That's not how the Force works...

So I wouldn't want Filoni either - get Genndy Tartakovsky to do it. He gets SW, and I feel he's languishing at Sony making kids movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Can we have a splinter thread called "I like Star Wars - let's talk about guns and ships and stuff?"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is as good a place as any to discuss that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/06/25/star-wars-episode-ix-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi/

Quote:

Reports about an Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off film have been wildly speculative, though a new rumor claims that Ewan McGregor will reprise his role as the Jedi Master for a brief appearance in Star Wars: Episode IX. This would mark his first portrayal of the character since 2005's Revenge of the Sith.

"Ewan will secretly film for the next Star Wars movie," an unnamed source shared with The Sun.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Blew my kids minds when I told them Frozone was Mace Windu and Christopher Robin was Obi-Wan Kenobi last weekend. Some nice Star Wars touches in the Wreck it Ralph 2 trailer as well - although the Disney Princess sequence looks hysterical.

Render
AG
Gotcha. Here ya go:

Living Legend
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

God I would kill for a great single player game

Really want another "Force Unleashed" type game where you can experiment with both the Light and Dark sides of the force, have really cool/over powered force abilities, and bad ass light saber play.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Render said:

One of the reasons I didn't watch Clone Wars and Rebels was because of that exact fact. Lots of weirdo fantasy stuff - it was like they pulled the worst stuff from the EU. I remember a Nightsister using magic to literally make Maul new legs out of nothing. That's not how the Force works...

So I wouldn't want Filoni either - get Genndy Tartakovsky to do it. He gets SW, and I feel he's languishing at Sony making kids movies.

Tartakovsy may not be the best choice either considering how, iirc, he made characters ridiculously over powered. Mace Windu in particular comes to mind in an almost EU style. He had good action sequences, but it's hard for me that say he does better story telling than Filoni.

The Collective
AG
The role is more than just a creative type, so I don't see why people want to stick Filoni as the head of the studio. It might also do the franchise some good to move away from people who were close with Lucas.
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

The role is more than just a creative type, so I don't see why people want to stick Filoni as the head of the studio. It might also do the franchise some good to move away from people who were close with Lucas.

Eh, the ideal solution would split it up: a creative head and a business head. Moving away from people who worked with Lucas as closely as Filoni did, who are intimately familiar with Legends and canon material and the concepts of Lucas' vision and how the force works, could also do as much or more harm than keeping those people in position. Granted, not completely adhering to Lucas' vision won't be a bad thing either.

Ideally finding someone who is passionate about the material to expand the universe and instead of going back to the well with established characters like they did with Solo and the proposed Boba Fett film, really is the way forward for the franchise. The franchise needs new characters that can actually grow/develop so audiences can form an attachment to them, rather than them being stagnant, and it's going to take a creative head who can cohesively tell a story. We were supposed to be getting that with the Sequel Trilogy, but I think we can agree that's not what we've gotten so far.

Filoni's series both were put in interesting places, one between two movies of the PT and the other before the OT. Regardless of how one may feel about the characters, one would have to admit that how he dove tailed the stories of the two series with the two trilogies, specifically the OT, was done pretty well. Additionally, with the EU being relegated as non-canon and the popular aspects of the EU/Legends, Filoni did try to incorporate aspects of the EU/Legends when appropriate.
Render
AG
Genndy practices all the core elements of StarWars in his work - non-cringe characters, visceral action, poignant emotion. His work has a 70's grit to it that Filoni's work doesn't have.

And Genndy's grounded, Eastern martial arts-spiritualism take on the Force is far more enjoyable than the blatant, weirdo Merlin-type magic Filoni brings. Out of all the post-OT takes on the Force, I think Genndy is the only one who has respected its mysteriousness.

You're right, his characters do practice high octane action, but their power is always skill-based and earned. And it's just plain fun! The characters always fight hard af enemies, and he deftly weaves poignant SW-type emotion into scenes.

Iger offered JJ the job but JJ turned it down. Imo, Genndy is a far better creative than JJ - just pair him with a business-centered partner like Walt and Roy did (as Grace said) and Boom! You got dynamite. I mean, who wouldn't want this guy working on SW???

MuckRaker - My above post was meant as a joke. I just saw that I forgot to put the smiley emoticon on it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Quote:

Genndy practices all the core elements of StarWars in his work - non-cringe characters, visceral action, poignant emotion. His work has a 70's grit to it that Filoni's work doesn't have.

And Genndy's grounded, Eastern martial arts-spiritualism take on the Force is far more enjoyable than the blatant, weirdo Merlin-type magic Filoni brings. Out of all the post-OT takes on the Force, I think Genndy is the only one who has respected its mysteriousness

We're just going to have to disagree here.
Render
AG
Did you watch my video examples? They're all short except the last one. I'm fine with you disagreeing but at least watch his work from my POV.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can someone confirm - Does Rebels show that force ghosts have the capability of coming back in physical form?
Render
AG
Genndy and Filoni both do Vader prophecy scenes. Let's compare them.

Imo, this is blatant, obvious, and boring. If this is canon, wouldn't the sheer obviousness of the warning that SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO YOU cause Anakin to be more self-aware and reject Palpatine's manipulations?

Meanwhile Genndy's is imaginative, ambiguous yet evocative, frightening, and let's the images do the talking. It's reminiscent of Luke's vision of the future on Dagobah.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Render said:

Did you watch my video examples? They're all short except the last one. I'm fine with you disagreeing but at least watch his work from my POV.

I have, and what Tartakovsky prioritizes is action. My opinion hasn't changed.
jabberwalkie09
AG
You do realize that the Mortis arc was essentially a Lucas story right? Lucas was still pretty heavily involved in TCW at that time.
PatAg
AG
If you aren't going to see Solo in theater, or Star Wars 9 in theater, are you really a fan?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can someone confirm - Does Rebels show that force ghosts have the capability of coming back in physical form?

I don't remember that specifically, I believe force ghosts followed what was already set in canon. Rebels final season spoilers to follow.

At one point Palpatine tempts Ezra with an almost alternate, possible future where he could rejoin his parents and live a life with them.He rejected the opportunity. To an extent, this explainable due to the portal space earlier on, to different times where he saved Ahsoka before Palpatine got involved and they returned to their respective times.

Additionally, when Kanan fought the Inquisitor that occurred in a Jedi Temple on Lothal iirc. Which like when we saw Luke face Vader on Dagobah, that was a physical interaction to some degree.
SeattleAgJr
Ag Since 83 said:

The mortis garbage was GL.
SeattleAgJr
PatAg said:

If you aren't going to see Solo in theater, or Star Wars 9 in theater, are you really a fan?
If you do not see Aggie games in person, are you REALLY a fan/member of the 12th Man?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Bit of a price escalation there.
Ag Since 83
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Ag Since 83 said:

The mortis garbage was GL.
And Filoni brought it back in Rebels. What is your point?
israeliag
AG
I liked the mythology stuff that CW and Rebels added <ducks>
The Collective
AG
I hated the Mortis story in TCW, but I liked the way it was weaved into Rebels. I think one thing that is important to remember is Filoni saw Rebels as his chance to complete TCW series.
The Collective
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Just like politics, people have a hard time seeing the nuance in a group that is in heavy debate. The fact is that there are a lot of Rebels/TCW fans (fans of Filoni by extension) that don't necessarily think he is the answer. He's a piece of the puzzle, no doubt about that in my mind, but I'm not sure if he is the guy. Too much of the fandom believes Filoni is the last hope, I choose to believe like Master Yoda:

Aggie_Journalist
AG
The challenge for any studio head is that Fiege at Marvel sets an impossibly high bar. Nobody has ever come close to reeling out consistent hits the way Marvel has. Every other property's fans want what Marvel has, and nobody is going to get it. And it helps Fiege a lot that he has decades of comic book stories to draw from and he can use what worked and failed on paperback to educate what might work or fail on the big screen.
Thanks and gig'em
First Page Last Page
Page 736 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.