Star Wars Discussion Thread

Saul Goodman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes - we can't help ourselves. In fairness, my rankings are constantly changing (with the exception of my top two and my bottom three).
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We gotta get our lists ready for Solo.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We gotta get our lists ready for Solo.


True.

The SW list ranking is bread and butter to the Entertainment board it seems.
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saul Goodman said:

Yes - we can't help ourselves. In fairness, my rankings are constantly changing (with the exception of my top two and my bottom three).

true....at times i could swap the order of TLJ/ROTJ/TFA order.... but SW/ESB and ROTS/TPM/AOTC are static.


Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll be there at Disneyland next summer. Was really hoping it would be open in the spring so they could work some kinks out.
MuckRaker96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We need to get off the ranking of the films and go to ranking everything else.

I'll start:

Top 5 supporting characters:

Top action 5 sequences (any major battle, starship chase or lightsaber battle)

Top 5 lines of dialogue (2 lines together max)





TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love it. I'll take a stab at the top five action sequences...

1. Luke vs. Vader, Episode 5
2. Qui-Gon + Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul, Episode I
3. Vader Attack, Rogue One
4. Luke vs. Vader vs. Palaptine, Episode VI
5. Rey + Kylo vs. Snoke's Guards, Episode VIII

Honorable mention:
- The Trench Run, Episode IV
- Battle of Hoth, Episode V
- Podrace, Episode I
- Sarlack Pit / Han Rescue, Episode VI
- Millenium Falcon Chase on Jakku, Episode VII

Granted, I'm obviously partial to lightsaber battles, and honestly, overal, the space battles in the franchise have never really done it for me. Also, no one come at me with Anakin vs. Obi-Wan in Episode III. That fight is low key ridiculous.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The action is way too dated in the OT. It doesn't stand up to the PT or the new movies.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I disagree. Choreography/blocking/execution? Sure, not as good. But the emotion and stakes in the older fights are so much better and run so much deeper. Makes up for the technical shortcomings in spades.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, I love the sequence in Rogue One beginning around the time the Deathtroopers land on the beach. The stakes definitely go up right then.
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The action is way too dated in the OT. It doesn't stand up to the PT or the new movies.
mind blown

are you kidding?

ILM did some of the best stop motion sequences in cinematic history

I'm literally staring at the wall with my mouth open

CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I feel like the ROTJ space battle belongs in there somewhere. It's incredible, especially the original, undoctored version when you consider the movie is 35 years old.
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The action is way too dated in the OT. It doesn't stand up to the PT or the new movies.
the PT was prettier but I didn't have the emotional attachment to what was going on like the ANH, ROTJ or Rogue One battles.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I disagree. Choreography/blocking/execution? Sure, not as good. But the emotion and stakes in the older fights are so much better and run so much deeper. Makes up for the technical shortcomings in spades.
Oh course, but I was thinking more of special effects and some of the choreography. How corny does Luke look dodging and getting hit by slow moving objects on Cloud City? Could the light saber battle on the first death star be any slower? Who could forget the "force kick"?
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anakin vs Obi-Wan has all that emotion in spades.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anakin vs Obi-Wan has all that emotion in spades.



Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
such emotion:




I wouldn't put this one in the top 4.... the constant changing cgi, lava waterfall, and lava robot thing were just silly. They should have kept it relatively simple and it would have carried more emotional impact.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No offense, but you have to take anything Spilner says regarding the prequels with a grain of salt.
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1. Luke vs Vader vs Palpatine. The stakes and emotion can't be beaten. The manipulation of Luke, how close he comes to turning, slashing away at Vader, and then it all turns as he chops off Vader's hand and looks down at his own mechanical hand, realizing how close he is to turning. And then he passes his test
2. Battle of Scarif
3. Space Battle of Endor
4. Rey/Kylo vs the guards
5. Battle of Yavin
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Am I the only one that think Hoth is not only the greatest SW battle but one of the best ever across all genres? Maybe it's just my 1980 seven year old side in denial.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Such an easy/obvious criticism of that fight, as if it renders any praise of the entire duel invalid.

Let's not pretend Obi-Wan vs Vader on the Death Star was some grand duel. It was slow, dull, and boring.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

No offense, but you have to take anything Spilner says regarding the prequels with a grain of salt.
Ok, sure. But you have to apply the same rule to the older generation regarding the OT.
Episode IV
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reranking:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. R1
4. RotJ
5. TFA
6. RotS
7. AotC
8. TLJ
9. TPM
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Reranking:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. R1
4. RotJ
5. TFA
6. RotS
7. AotC
8. TLJ
9. TPM
Flip TFA and ROTS and this is where I'm at.
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

1. Luke vs Vader vs Palpatine. The stakes and emotion can't be beaten. The manipulation of Luke, how close he comes to turning, slashing away at Vader, and then it all turns as he chops off Vader's hand and looks down at his own mechanical hand, realizing how close he is to turning. And then he passes his test
"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Urban Ag said:

Am I the only one that think Hoth is not only the greatest SW battle but one of the best ever across all genres? Maybe it's just my 1980 seven year old side in denial.
You are not the only one.

I watched Empire last night with my home theater cranked up. The sound effects are very impressive. The visuals are old school (think 1933 King Kong) stop motion, but that techniques lends itself perfectly to the entire concept of the AT-AT. Stop motion animation always results in a bit of a herky-jerky look, but this is not a "living" ape, rather a mechanical object that should have some kind of herky-jerky in its movement. Combine all of this with the frenetic music, and you have what I consider to be the best military action sequence ever put to film.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

We need to get off the ranking of the films and go to ranking everything else.

I'll start:

Top 5 supporting characters:

Top action 5 sequences (any major battle, starship chase or lightsaber battle)

Top 5 lines of dialogue (2 lines together max)






Supporting characters
1.K-2SO
2.Grand Moff Tarkin
3.Jango Fett
4.Wedge Antilles
5. Boba Fett

Action sequences
1. Battle of Hoth
2. Battle of Yavin
3. Luke-Vader-Palpatine duel
4. Battle of Scarif
5. Anakin-Obi wan duel

Dialogue
1. Luke: But they're going to kill her! Han: Better her than me.
2. Han: We're all fine here. How are you?
3. Leia: I love you. Han: I know.
4. K-2SO: I find that answer to be vague and unconvincing.
5. K-2SO: Not me. I can survive in space.


Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Always loved the defiance of that moment, and then...

"So be it...Jedi..."
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoth is probably my #6

Plus bonus points because Spiderman used it to take down Ant Man
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Hoth is probably my #6

Plus bonus points because Spiderman used it to take down Ant Man
Tom Holland's pretty good in that role.

"Hey guys, you ever see that really old movie, Empire Strikes Back?"

CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Random thought: It seems evident by what information is out there that Tony Gilroy fixed Rogue One and took it from a good Star Wars concept to a very good movie. Perhaps Lucasfilm needs to be looking outside the Star Wars fandom for a director or screenwriter (no small task given the OT's impact on filmmaking) to get this franchise pointed in the right direction.
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we're ranking fight scenes, taking into account all the context and buildup and stakes, the Rebels duel between Maul and Obi-Wan is near the top.
CJS4715
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

If we're ranking fight scenes, taking into account all the context and buildup and stakes, the Rebels duel between Maul and Obi-Wan is near the top.


I was just going off movies, but agreed. The buildup was great, and then the way it went down exceeded my expectation. Love the minimalist approach to that whole episode.
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

AliasMan02 said:

If we're ranking fight scenes, taking into account all the context and buildup and stakes, the Rebels duel between Maul and Obi-Wan is near the top.


I was just going off movies, but agreed. The buildup was great, and then the way it went down exceeded my expectation. Love the minimalist approach to that whole episode.


It's not a fair comparison really because television can slow burn those moments to achieve a great climax like a movie can't. Same with Ahsoka and Vader's duel. It carried years worth of weight.
Page 711 of 834
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.