Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,468 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 34 min ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Tying up all three trilogies. Nice.

Duel of the Fates. It's happening.

Do you just mean a reuse of the theme or does that name reference something else?
Yes, I mean the theme.

It would be awesome if Williams used it (maybe re-working into new themes) in whatever the climactic duel of the trilogy/saga ends up being.

It would tie everything back into that original duel between Obi-Wan and Maul, the one that kicked off the entire saga. Lucas always said there were "larger hands at work" throughout the whole Skywalker saga. Would be a cool way to tie everything together.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
oldarmyag08 said:

CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Was reading through some old pages. I wish MuckRaker were still around.

Did we lose Muck or did he just go Texags silent?

I randomly filled a spot in his FF league a couple of years ago. I exchanged a few emails with him this past August after I got an invite from the now defunct league. I mentioned that he disappeared from TA and hoped that all was well. He said that he was fine and had simply decided to give up TA to save time.
Well, good to know he's doing well, at least. Thanks for the update.
512Ag
AG
I saw a non-vanity license plate today that started with BB8 and I was somewhat jealous that a random person would be assigned that number. It was this style and the second set of three numbers seemed random, so I'm pretty sure it's too old to have been a vanity plate, anyway.

Cool story, bro.
Carry on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Damn. From the novelization of ROTJ.
Dro07
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn. From the novelization of ROTJ.

Haven't read any of the novelization of any the episodes... do they stay true to form and just expand on the movie scenes?
redline248
AG
The only one I read was episode 2, oddly enough. It was better than the movie.

To answer your question, it was pretty much verbatim with added depth due to the thoughts of characters that you don't get on screen.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen at an Italian cafe today.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Disney knew exactly what they were doing.

AliasMan02
AG
Fascinating Star Wars "what might have been" from Pablo.

ChipFTAC01
AG
That shot of 80s Luke reminds me of some action figure I had when I was a kid. I think they were bigger than the Kenner ones. Maybe they're from the Star Wars : Droids line? Does that ring a bell at all?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yep it looks like it's from the Droids line. I have no recollection of that show but I had the big Avatar looking dude and I think the girl with the funky bi-hawk, 3po and the buff dude with the red ponytail to the right

The Collective
AG
The dude on the far right reminds me of Azmorigan from Rebels.
AliasMan02
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

That shot of 80s Luke reminds me of some action figure I had when I was a kid. I think they were bigger than the Kenner ones. Maybe they're from the Star Wars : Droids line? Does that ring a bell at all?

The article at the link goes into it and gives the details of Kenner's attempt to continue Star Wars after Jedi. Pablo called it their Hail Mary.
AliasMan02
AG
Pablo also talked some today about how Shadows of the Empire came to be, which is basically that the prequels kept getting pushed back and Lucas had all these marketing deals to honor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://schmoesknow.com/ron-howard-reportedly-reshot-nearly-all-of-solo/51963/

Well, that can't be good.

LF really fumbled this one. A movie nobody needed in the first place, shot twice.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

http://schmoesknow.com/ron-howard-reportedly-reshot-nearly-all-of-solo/51963/

Well, that can't be good.

LF really fumbled this one. A movie nobody needed in the first place, shot twice.
I bet they (meaning Disney's various companies, I guess) start giving prospective directors other projects before handing them a Star Wars film. I think we all like the idea of having up and comers give us fresh takes on Star Wars, but that has proven incompatible with the absolute requirement (that I support) that Star Wars films treat the franchise with reverence.

I think you can do both, fwiw. You can try new things and still treat the material with respect. If Solo really was very nearly Ace Ventura in Space, as reported, that would have been an absolute disaster.
Belton Ag
AG
This is the same thing we heard with Rogue One, that they reshot almost the entire movie. I'm not enough of a movie buff to know which of these sites that report on this stuff is reputable and reliable and which isn't, but I'm skeptical of the whole reshoot narrative.
Simplebay
AG
I see this as a good thing. Trust Kathleen
SeattleAgJr
Simplebay said:

I see this as a good thing. Trust Kathleen
but Ron Howard is rather blah as a director.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed, but this was more of a substitute teacher gig. The script, the set-pieces, the action sequences, effects, etc. almost assuredly stayed nearly exactly the same. From what I understand, Rogue One had legit story problems, where as Solo had more of a diverging tone issue.

Also, because Howard didn't bring on his own crew - for instance, the same cinematographer (the amazing Bradford Young) and camera team were constant across both iterations - I bet they shot many scenes exactly the same as the first go around, just with more suitable performances and dialogue here and there (and in certain instances they likely got to improve upon techniques used prior). All Howard had to do was stick to the curriculum, so to speak. His job, I imagine, was more about ensuring that the performances and tone were more in line with what Kennedy and Kasdan had originally hoped for.

In other words, Lord & Miller and Howard all likely had the same coloring book to work with, with all the same pictures and lines, but Lord & Miller started using colors that were a bit too "out there" and colored outside the lines one too many times - where as Howard, with the exact same pictures, used the intended colors, and stayed inside the lines. That's all Kennedy needed anyone to do.

Also, remember that a decent chunk of the reshoots were strictly because Michael K. Williams wasn't available again, so they had to reshoot his scenes with Paul Bettany instead.

Point is, I don't think this is near the issue Rogue One suffered. From everything I've heard, the story isn't even remotely the problem in this case. It's that, originally, Lord & Miller weren't sticking to it.
OnlyForNow
AG
TCTTS said:

In other words, Lord & Miller and Howard all likely had the same coloring book to work with, with all the same pictures and lines, but Lord & Miller started using colors that were a bit too "out there" and colored outside the lines one too many times - where as Howard, with the exact same pictures, used the intended colors, and stayed inside the lines. That's all Kennedy needed anyone to do.

Hopefully this, because the first option typically doesn't get you a Van Gough or Whorol, it might get you a Picasso that takes folks a few hundred years to appreciate.
Ag Since 83
AG
The new Zahn book will be called Thrawn: Alliances and is available for pre-order on Amazon
AliasMan02
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

The new Zahn book will be called Thrawn: Alliances and is available for pre-order on Amazon
Ready for some Rukh!
TCTTS
AG
For the second time in three years, I was just in line behind Obi-Wan himself, Ewan McGregor, at the Whole Foods across the street from my apartment.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
TCTTS said:

For the second time in three years, I was just in line behind Obi-Wan himself, Ewan McGregor, at the Whole Foods across the street from my apartment.
Who had the high ground?
TexasAggie_02
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
TCTTS said:

i've seen Gabe, Billy, Sumlin, and Bill Byrne at Towerpoint HEB, so eat your heart out.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

This is not the quinoa you're looking for
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

Umm did you get him a copy of our TexAgs Kenobi script. You just had one job!
The Collective
AG
Did you at least say, "Hello there"?
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Please tell me you pointed towards anything unhealthy he was purchasing, wagged a finder and said "Oh I don't think so".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Did you try to sell him death sticks?
AliasMan02
AG
I have a book update:

From a Certain Point of View is a collection of short stories from the points of view of secondary characters in and around A New Hope. It's well worth a read, but be warned... a couple of them are terrible, like prequels level bad. The great ones are truly great, however. Some are very funny. Some are very heart wrenching. Will Wheaton's is very good. John Hamm's vocal performance is very good in the story he narrates.

It does have some consistency problems that bug me. They're not a huge deal, but like... we're there plenty of X-Wings at Yavin but not enough pilots? Or the other way around? Different stories tell it both ways.

Leia: Princess of Alderaan is very good. Claudia Gray is a great Star Wars author and writes Leia soooooo well. The fact that we get to know Queen Bria pretty well is a big bonus. There are some things that are a little forced, like the fact that there is such a thing as the Apprentice Legislature that handles (really advises on) very minor issues. But once you hand-wave that, the rest is very good. Has a couple of SUPER minor references that involve TALK to give us a flavor and some background, but they are incredibly minor.

The Legends of Luke Skywalker is something you can probably pass on. It's a collection of stories about Luke told by members of a starship crew, kind of weaved together in its own narrative. There is one very worthwhile story, a couple of decent ones, and a couple of very very terrible ones. It's a young adult title but is damn near a children's book.

In its best story, it does have one baffling problem, which is that apparently the author and editors and readers have no idea how long a kilometer is. As in, nobody can assemble from bamboo or routinely weild in any way a fishing spear that is a kilometer long.

I think we might see one or two characters in the upcoming Canto Bight collection.
redline248
AG
Have you read Heir to the Jedi? Any good?

I just finished the first Aftermath. Man, could I do without all the interludes.
First Page Last Page
Page 625 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.