Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,053 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm reading Phasma currently. It's a very different kind of Star Wars book, but I definitely see what the author was hinting at when she said at Celebration that when she writes, she listens to music, and her mixtape for this book was a combination of Star Wars music and the soundtrack for Mad Max: Fury Road

Anyway, sorry if someone point this next part out already, but I don't remember much conversation of the book when it came out. Actual dialogue from the book:

"I've never walked on sand. What's it like?"
"It shifts under your feet. Coarse and rough. Irritating. Gets everywhere. Slips into your clothes and boots."
YouBet
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I'm reading Phasma currently. It's a very different kind of Star Wars book, but I definitely see what the author was hinting at when she said at Celebration that when she writes, she listens to music, and her mixtape for this book was a combination of Star Wars music and the soundtrack for Mad Max: Fury Road

Anyway, sorry if someone point this next part out already, but I don't remember much conversation of the book when it came out. Actual dialogue from the book:

"I've never walked on sand. What's it like?"
"It shifts under your feet. Coarse and rough. Irritating. Gets everywhere. Slips into your clothes and boots."
No freaking way. Are you serious? She lifted dialogue from the worst Star Wars movie ever?
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well I just got showed the **** up.
Haven't see a one up like this in a while!
The Collective
AG
lol, Lucasfilm seems to keep green lighting material that mocks the prequels. I'll give them credit for continuing to do so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait until they make Snoke Darth Maul.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait until they make Snoke Darth Maul.

I realize that you are being sarcastic... but I love the Maul character from the animated series. Sadly, he's no more though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Reading Phasma as well. Not finished, but it is currently my least favorite book yet for the new SW EU stuff. I've read damn near all of them.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm only about 100 pages in. Read 70 pages when it first came out then got distracted by other things, finally made it back to it.

So far it's definitely not my favorite, but it's so different I have difficulty comparing it to the others. It definitely has more of a feel so far of a story from another genre/series being dropped into the Star Wars galaxy, rather than a Star Wars story that happens to move into a different genre like Rogue One, if that makes sense
Farmer1906
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I'm only about 100 pages in. Read 70 pages when it first came out then got distracted by other things, finally made it back to it.

So far it's definitely not my favorite, but it's so different I have difficulty comparing it to the others. It definitely has more of a feel so far of a story from another genre/series being dropped into the Star Wars galaxy, rather than a Star Wars story that happens to move into a different genre like Rogue One, if that makes sense
If you're read Tarkin, it kind of takes his wilderness experience and multiples it into some Lord of the Flies type stuff for the first several chapters. Then its kind of morphed into an adventure type story.

It is just not how I expected Phasma's history to be. I can't see to care about her and it doesn't fit to how she was portrayed in TFA. I am going to finish. I am excited about how Cardinal handles things.
redline248
AG
Y'all just confirmed my belief that pushing Phasma is a waste of time.
Farmer1906
AG
I would wait until you see what happens the TLJ before I write off a character just yet. Clearly, Rian had plans for her from the get-go.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This.

She's basically only been teased at this point. Let's give her one full movie.
The Collective
AG
redline248 said:

Y'all just confirmed my belief that pushing Phasma is a waste of time.

No **** - not shocked to find out that she even sucks in the EU.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Filming was strictly prohibited so these aren't the best, but I wanted to grab what I could.

Dro07
AG
way to be THAT guy!

jk thanks for doing that
hurleyag
AG
What is funny is we see at least one other person filming too!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There were a handful behind me as well.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
God i love that music... John Williams is a genius
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw an interesting thread in Reddit, wanted to bring the discussion over here.

What do you all think has been the best time to be a Star Wars fan?

These are my thoughts:

I think a lot of people up to the age of ~55 could make the argument that they grew up in the best era, with the exception of people born between 1980-1985 or so.

They basically had zero Star Wars in their childhood (except when in ran on TV), until its return in 1997 (Special Editions) and the prequels in 1999. At that point they were all teenagers. That was a decade+ of "darkness" in Star Wars fandom.

I was 10 when TPM came out (born in 88). That movie turned me on to SW, and I've been a huge fan ever since. I wasn't even a big fan yet but I clearly remember how massive the hype was. By the time of Episodes II and III, I was a huge fan of the series. Great time to be a fan.

Kids born anytime after 2005 basically had the same situation with the new movies.

To back up my point, my brother was born in '83 and couldn't give two ****s about SW. I was born in '88 and am a huge fan. Crazy what a difference a few years can make.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Born in June '67, so I was 9 when the first movie came out. I didn't see it until I had turned 10 however.

With no offense to anyone who was born later, but this was the absolute best time for a SW fan. We got to see first hand, without all these internet sites with their spoilers, the big reveal in TESB. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see such a massive and unexpected twist as that in any movie ever again, particularly with all the media focused on finding out such things and spoiling them. Yes, we suffered through the dark ages between 1984 and 1996. Many were disappointed with the special editions, and many more were disappointed with the prequels. I was not one of those - I simply love seeing Star Wars movies and am willing to take them at face value. You won't find me sitting there with a scalpel dissecting every moment, every word, etc as many seem to take great pleasure in doing.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

To back up my point, my brother was born in '83 and couldn't give two ****s about SW.
I was born in '82 and I often feel too young for the original release, and too old for the new stuff.
Farmer1906
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Born in June '67, so I was 9 when the first movie came out. I didn't see it until I had turned 10 however.

With no offense to anyone who was born later, but this was the absolute best time for a SW fan. We got to see first hand, without all these internet sites with their spoilers, the big reveal in TESB. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see such a massive and unexpected twist as that in any movie ever again, particularly with all the media focused on finding out such things and spoiling them. Yes, we suffered through the dark ages between 1984 and 1996. Many were disappointed with the special editions, and many more were disappointed with the prequels. I was not one of those - I simply love seeing Star Wars movies and am willing to take them at face value. You won't find me sitting there with a scalpel dissecting every moment, every word, etc as many seem to take great pleasure in doing.

I think just about everyone born in the late 50s to late 60s win.
The Collective
AG
'83 here, and my generation definitely did not experience SW in the same way. We grew up with it already in the culture. I was the youngest in my family, so that's probably the reason I liked Star Wars as a kid. There was a huge variation of exposure to Star Wars across those my age.
Flashdiaz
AG
I would say if one of your earliest memories of a movie was the original Star Wars in the theater, that's a good age due to the anticipation and delivery of the Star Wars movies to date.

When you were young, you got to be excited about the Empire Strikes Back. Then you got to watch the saga conclude with Return of the Jedi.
Then you may have read a bit here or there about what was planned (what are the Clone Wars, Vader had a castle and fell in a Volcano!).

Then you went through your early adult life thinking it was wrapped up then all of a sudden, George announces he's doing the prequels and the hype goes through the roof. Yada yada yada you watch them and are glad it's over and are happy with the original 3.

Then you hear Disney bought the rights to the entire franchise and want to do more movies set in the galaxy and not just around the Skywalkers... Holy crap i'm a kid again! Except this time, you have kids and can spoil them all sorts of star wars stuff and introduce a new generation to what you've liked all this time. Good times indeed.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Being 11 years old in 77 I would say was perfect...you can't top that experience because.....

a. Sci fi before and after that was no comparison (strings on saucers, stupid robots, or way too deep like 2001)
b. it was completely unexpected and out of left field - my friends and i all thought the promos looked stupid
c. it was the first blockbuster with so much merchandise tie-in, created a universe really and kids wanted it all

Hard to explain how much of an earth shattering change that was too those of us that experienced it.

That and the fact that there was not much else on the screen....meaning for nearly a year solid we just went to see that over and over again. I saw it at least 20+ times in the theater. On the military base where we were stationed it ran for over a year and on Sat/Sun matinee you could get in for 50 cents and popcorn and a coke was another 75 cents. We did that over and over and over anytime we had nothing to do.

Urban Ag
AG
For me, summer of 1980 thru summer of 1983. I was born in 73 and really can't remember going to ANH or even ESB but in the time after ESB the build up for ROTJ was huge. All i really had for Star Wars news was my quarterly Bantha Tracks newsletter and the Marvel comic. I can remember people camping out for tickets and lines around the corner (hence "blockbuster"). I was so mad at my dad because it was 3-4 weeks before he would take us cause of the lines.

For the next few years I searched high and low for any news on the next SW series which, IIRC, Lucas has said he was going to get to work on after wrapping up Indiana Jones and a couple other projects. But it never happened........until it did and by then I was in mid 20's and about to get married and didn't give it much thought.
twilly
AG
'69 here. I also agree that those of us around for the OT had it best. But not just for the experience of being around in the beginning, but it being personal for us.

No video games, no VHS, no internet, no books. The memories we made were personal because we HAD to create them for ourselves. There is so much content to draw from now. And even when the Prequels arrived, there was a ton of expanded universe media out there.

Only our imagination could create those battles with little 3 1/4" armies. Creativity overdrive as we battled with black plastic guns around the neighborhood until it was too dark to see each other.

This is a great time to be a fan, no doubt. But I feel those who are late Boomers/early X'ers had to use a little bit more of ourselves to create our adventures.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
When I think back on it, I never wanted to see the first one. I liked sci-fi well enough but this movie just looked stupid. It was probably a month or so in theaters before we went to see it. When I got home I was scrounging for scissors, tape and all the cardboard I could get my hands on to build my own X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

There were other movies that summer, but all I remember seeing was the Godzilla movie where the big green guy fought the mechanical Godzilla. I missed Smokey and the Bandit and The Spy Who Loved Me, for instance. I had become a Star Wars nut after one viewing. Got the double LP score and practically wore that thing out. It was, believe it or not, quite some time before the toys arrived, well into the next year.

The anticipation for Empire probably did not come to me until 1979. They re-released Star Wars in 78 and 79, and that was my SW fix (along with some Marvel comics and the book Splinter of the Mind's Eye). In that 79 re-release, there was a teaser attached to AFTER the credits that was the first I had ever heard of a new movie. And in those days, time seemed to crawl (as opposed to now when I look up and my kid is in 6th grade, wasn't she just born yesterday?). Alien, The Black Hole and Star Trek were good fill-ins but none of those came close to SW.

Then finally Empire came out. I had bought the book prior to seeing it, and I'm certain that I read it before seeing the movie but for the life of me I don't recall knowing the big reveal. But then, it only opened on 2 screens in Houston. I pestered my dad to drive us near the Westchase theater to see how long the line was. It wasn't too long so we got to see it. So then began the long wait for Jedi. These years were the majority of my childhood, or so it would seem. I still remember when I first heard that Lucas was going to do the prequels, somewhere toward the end of the 80s or very early in the 90s. Was forecast at the time that Episode 1 would come out in 97 but that turned out to be the special editions.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some great stories.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Similarly I actually did not see it until 3 months after it was out.

That's because I was living in S. Korea at the time - dad was stationed there. Movies typically came to the base theater there 6-9 months after they hit the US back then.

So I had not even really heard much about it when we returned to the states in July of 77.

We were staying at my grandparents house outside Las Vegas for the first week or so since we had not seen them for 2 years.

My parents insisted on going to this movie and showed me the newspaper ads and said it was a huge hit. But from the print ad it looked like another hokey stupid sci-fi movie and I pitched a fit saying I did not want to go.

I mean look at those stupid looking robots if you had no context...and a guy in an ape suit...and the cheap futuristic garb of luke and leia.

Ugh....so I went kicking and screaming (inside anyway).....and came out begging them to go see it again a second time immediately!!!! They still love to tell that story.

This is actually a later ad with the Academy awards but the image was similar...

3rdGen2015
AG
I was born in '93. My parents have never been huge Star Wars fans, so my first exposure to Star Wars came after renting TPM from Blockbuster. Attack of the Clones was the first Star Wars movie I saw in theaters.

The Star Wars toys were great in my childhood. We had all of the lightsabers as kids and had lightsaber fights in the house all the time. We spent many nights playing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 on the PS2. The Lego kits were amazing.

I was in 6th grade when Sith came out. We took a field trip to go watch it as a class because our teachers were huge Star Wars fans. We watched all of the others in release order during class in the lead-up to it. I started to read some of the EU books, mostly focused on the Clone Wars era because I grew up with Anakin instead of Luke.

I have never been more excited for a movie than I was for TFA. I can imagine it was like those of you who grew up with the OT while waiting for TPM.

I don't think my group had the best Star Wars experience, we were too young to have been exposed to Star Wars before TPM and didn't get to experience the hype surrounding it. But then again, we also weren't subject to the let-down afterwards. I don't hate the prequels as much as most of you because of it. I also like the Ewoks because my first exposure to them came while I was still in elementary school. We had the best toys and video games though, don't @ me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I was in 6th grade when Sith came out. We took a field trip to go watch it as a class because our teachers were huge Star Wars fans. We watched all of the others in release order during class in the lead-up to it.
I don't mean this to sound derogatory, but does stuff like this actually happen in public schools?

Pretty jealous, gotta say.
Urban Ag
AG
Not in the ones I went to.

Best we got was Top Gun and the teacher fast forwarded the boinking scene
spanky
AG
I think we watched the ghost from 2 men and a baby in class
First Page Last Page
Page 620 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.