Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,941 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kasdan and his son were writing before TFA was released, and had a completed draft toward the top of this year, if not before. Yes, the script is still being tinkered with - and will be up to production, like every movie - but the overarching beats and action set pieces have likely been locked for months. And yeah, Westworld was obviously in development as early as the beginning of last year, but just the development of that show wouldn't have had any impact on this.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty interesting stuff on the overall plans (or current lack there of) for the franchise from Kathleen Kennedy / EW...

Quote:

The biggest question of all: After the new trilogy ends with Episode IX in 2019, will a new trilogy begin? Or does the annual release of a Star Wars film become a litany of stand-alones, only occasionally threading back together (the way the Marvel movies do)?

"That's a conversation going on right now, too," Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says. "I have to honestly tell you, could we [do nothing but stand-alones]? Sure. But I don't know. We are looking at all of that."

Gauging audience reaction to Rogue One will be critical as Lucasfilm evaluates how different it can get with these stand-alone films from the traditions of the trilogy, or "saga," films

Quote:

After the release of the new film, the Star Wars braintrust will map out the further reaches of the galaxy. Among the titles that have been considered is a Boba Fett/bounty hunter movie that director Josh Trank was hired to make before he dropped out following the troubled production of his Fantastic Four reboot. It came so close to being officially announced, Lucasfilm even prepped a teaser reel to show at Star Wars Celebration in spring of 2015, sources tell EW. At the last minute, the split with Trank backburnered the project.

Another storyline fans have expressed interest in seeing include an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, possibly with Ewan McGregor reprising the role of the Jedi knight from the prequels. The actor himself has been enthusiastic about such an idea, if it were to happen.

Lucasfilm isn't tipping its hand about new titles yet. They're waiting until after Rogue One's debut to begin figuring that out.

"There are [possible movies] that we have been talking a lot about," Kennedy says. "But we are planning to sit down in January, since we will have had The Force Awakens released, now Rogue One, and we've finished shooting Episode VIII. We have enough information where we can step back a little bit and say, What are we doing? What do we feel is exciting? And what are some of the things we want to explore?"

Who will be making those calls? "The story team and the trust, and the visual effects team that we have been working with," Kennedy says. "We always pull in the directors and the writers that have been a part of these other three movies. We create pretty much a very collegiate group of people to share ideas."

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/22/rogue-one-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-movies

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean, you have to think Obi-Wan is happening, right?

Just as much a fan favorite as Han Solo, not to mention the actor himself has already said he's interested.

I do find it interesting that there's no hard plan for the franchise, a-la Marvel. They're sort of playing it by ear so far.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think so. My bet is that it's either a stand-alone after IX in 2020, or the Boba Fett stand-alone is in 2020, and then the Obi-Wan thing is expanded into a two or three movie saga stretched over 2021-2022/23. Either way, I just can't see Episode X coming in 2021. They'll need something to give the saga films a bit of a break, before a fourth trilogy (if that's what they even do).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I could see that happening. Kind of a hybrid "spinoff saga", so to speak, while they get ready for the next new trilogy.

Though I do wonder if they'll continue the pattern of saga trilogies or if they'll just start planning them with no end in sight. Sort of hoping that doesn't happen.
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

They're sort of playing it by ear so far.

I met with a Disney guy named Alan Horn (among several others) when I was in LA in August and he articulated a pretty clear vision for where the Star Wars franchise was heading at least through 2020. I'm not seeing anything that makes it look like they're winging it just by looking through what they've put together for investor presentations.
Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just as much a fan favorite as Han Solo, not to mention the actor himself has already said he's interested.
I'd love to see it happen. People can say what they want about the prequels, but McGregor absolutely nailed the role of Obi-Wan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I met with a Disney guy named Alan Horn
Lol. A "Disney guy"?

How the hell did you meet Horn?
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I think so. My bet is that it's either a stand-alone after IX in 2020, or the Boba Fett stand-alone is in 2020, and then the Obi-Wan thing is expanded into a two or three movie saga stretched over 2021-2022/23. Either way, I just can't see Episode X coming in 2021. They'll need something to give the saga films a bit of a break, before a fourth trilogy (if that's what they even do).
Sounds like how the milked the Hobbit into 3 movies. Not enough material or in this case probably the least exciting time in his life when he was a hermit on a desert planet watching over a buy no one knew was special.

I would like to see a pre prequil trilogy after a single Obi Won movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Check out the Obi-Wan thread. Some damn good ideas thrown around in there.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Gigem314 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'd love to see it happen. People can say what they want about the prequels, but McGregor absolutely nailed the role of Obi-Wan.

i guess the timing would make sense for his age now and being between Episode 3 and Episode 4....

He is 45 now. He was 34 when Episode 3 was released in 2005.

So Luke was born in 19 BBY according to canon
Obi Wan in 57 BBY
Anakin in almost 42 BBY
Han solo was born in 29 BBY (although Harrison Ford was 33)
Episode 4 takes place in 0 BBY

So Obi Wan would of course be 57 in Episode 4

So this makes for about a 12 year window right now where McGregor would be younger than Obi Wan was in Ep 4.

The actor playing young Han Solo is currently 27.

If you waited about 5 years......you could pull off a low 30's Han Solo with a 50ish Obi Wan...assuming they crossed paths. Of course you can work with ages within +/- 5 years easily I think.

If you even wanted Hayden Christensen again (hmmmm.)....he is currently 35 about 10 yars younger than McGregor whereas Anakin s 15 years younger but thats is within a doable range as well - not that I'm recommending that.

Long story short - I think it works in the next 5 years somewhere.

TCTTS
AG
What Brian said. There's basically a 15 to 20-year span where ANYTHING could have happened.
TCTTS
AG
Beat me to the punch. For reference, I think we broke down all that here in the Kenobi thread...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2711657
3rdGen2015
AG
Man, that's such a good thread
TCTTS
AG
Alden slowly but surely starting to get his Han on (filming kicks off in January)...

http://www.thewrap.com/alden-ehrenreich-oscar-dark-horse-han-solo-hail-caesar-donald-glover/
AliasMan02
AG
I keep saying this, but just like Han is a great character for serial adventures that aren't really connected, Kenobi is the perfect character for a two-parter.

Also, side note, in the Kenobi thread our chosen heroine name was Miar. One of the characters in Ahsoka is named Miara. Not bad!
PatAg
AG
There's nothing to say Obi Wan was just chilling in the cave the whole time.

I still think a movie that is similar in story to Coruscant Nights books would be interesting. It's basically a detective movie set in the Star Wars universe, at least to start.

And then you can have a Dirty Dozen group action kinda movie, if you ever read any of the X-Wings movies. You get cool dogfight scenes mixed with some commando and espionage action. It doesn't have to be all tied into the force.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
PatAg said:

I still think a movie that is similar in story to Coruscant Nights books would be interesting. It's basically a detective movie set in the Star Wars universe, at least to start.

And then you can have a Dirty Dozen group action kinda movie, if you ever read any of the X-Wings movies. You get cool dogfight scenes mixed with some commando and espionage action. It doesn't have to be all tied into the force.
This was my first hope for Rogue One. Still excited as hell about it but a legit Rogue Squadron movie would be awesome.
Ag Since 83
AG
I just finished Catalyst. A few quick thoughts (and some spoilers)

• Overall, I liked it. It's definitely not your typical Star Wars story as the heroes aren't going around from battle to battle. I'd say it's more like the Empire's version of the Manhattan Project. I don't know if this is exactly the correct metaphor, but I saw the relationship of the two leads as Krennic as Groves and Erso as Oppenheimer
  • Besides the relationship between the two leads, [sp]the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin is pretty interesting, with each one playing their respective games of chess: Krennic to try and manipulate the scientists into building the superweapon, while both of them tried to outsmart the other in their bids to curry favor with the Emperor and Mas Amedda.[/sp]
  • I liked how they spent a little time in between Episodes II and III just to bridge the gap between the Death Star plans showing up at the end of AotC, but quickly moved on to the more interesting Empire era.
  • A couple cameos (or at least mentions): Interesting to see how Jyn meets Saw, and I liked how Krennic described Vader as this mysterious newcomer at court with an "eccentric fashion sense"
  • Finally, how it links into what we've seen in the trailers of Rogue One: In all likelihood the flashback to when Jyn is a kid is when Krennic tracks them down and convinces/blackmails Erso to come back and finish the work on the weapon. I was surprised that the mother didn't die at the end of the book, and to my knowledge we don't know anything about her being in the movie (do we?), so I wonder if Krennic kills her and then threatens Jyn in order to control him
wangus12
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

PatAg said:

This was my first hope for Rogue One. Still excited as hell about it but a legit Rogue Squadron movie would be awesome.
I would be walking around with a boner for days if they did a Rogue Squadron movie
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Read a movie? Is it an independent film? How many subtitles ARE THERE??!

(j/k) I read all those X-Wing Books, and I actually like the idea of Wraith Squadron as well... more merchandising opportunities?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Actually, I think a Rogue Squadron series would be a prime candidate for a Netflix series opposed to a movie unless they did a series of movies. The choice then would be to select in which era to set it in.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think you could do a Rogue Squadron series and fit it into canon without changing the plot too much. although you probably would have to change the Coruscant liberation mission as the new canon seems to already have the explanation of how Coruscant was handed over to the New Republic. With the Empire going away after Jakku (most likely in the upcoming Empire's End) you'd probably need a new enemy, or move it earlier in the timeline to something pre-ROTJ
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rogue-one-star-wars-box-office-opening-projections-1201924775/
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rogue-one-star-wars-box-office-opening-projections-1201924775/

sounds about right...i was think 120-140 range.

and total $500-$550M domestic and $1.1 global.

some will paint that as disappoint but really those are huge numbers by any measure except compared to SW:TFA

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Wars is on another playing field. Even from Marvel.

But yeah, anything above $1B is a rousing success for a standalone movie.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I want an Old Republic Netflix series.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brennus said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brennus said:

Funny, I mentioned this to my roommate just last night.
The Collective
AG
I am still expecting official news on presale times to hit tomorrow night during the Disney Holiday Special on ABC. My lean is Monday morning... cyber Monday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Completely meaningless, but interesting.
Quote:

The Force Awakens had a social media universe of 933M with an astounding 828M YouTube views and a massive viral video share rate of 31:1. Rogue One is still strong, though less, with an SMU of 330M, YouTube views at 195M and a viral share rate of 16:1.
http://deadline.com/2016/11/rogue-one-advance-ticket-sales-projected-box-office-opening-1201858940/
The Collective
AG
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/23/rogue-one-composer-michael-giacchino-music-star-wars-standalone
The Collective
AG
maca1028
I missed the Disney celebration, should've watch it, I'm sure it's more entertaining than what's going on at Kyle Field right now. Can I expect one of you to post the Rogue One clip that they showed?
The Collective
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 503 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.