Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,996 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by TCTTS
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would prefer a throw away like this.

did you here about the wookie that made the kessel run in under 12 parsecs
AliasMan02
AG
Listening to the Star Wars radio drama, which incorporates a lot of elements of the original screenplay and novelization. I HIGHLY recommend it. It will be interesting to see if any of the pieces of the theft of the Death Star plans make it into Rogue One.

In the 5th episode, Kenobi talks about how he's not dressed like a Jedi. Just another bit of evidence on that point.

All of the audio is here:

https://archive.org/details/StarWarsRadio

The Collective
AG
If you have little kids... Amazon has this on sale right now:
goo.gl/Lslcmy

edit to fix url
TCTTS
AG
This guy jumps to a few too many conclusions, but overall, I think I'm in on this theory. The "poetry" of it at least makes sense...

Duncan Idaho
I fear you are correct
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Her fighting style still looks like Palpatines to me... Heavy two handed thrusts , not much parrying or slashing
From 4/3/16
Farmer1906
AG
That was so sexy.
The Collective
AG
Her fighting style makes sense given her weapon on Jakku was a staff.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Her fighting style makes sense given her weapon on Jakku was a staff.
Not really... Have you ever watched a new pick up a sword? What's the first thing they do? Slash and parry... You have to be taught that thrusts are a better way to fight.
Farmer1906
AG
Her staff is a red light saber. Probably double sided.
Malachi Constant
AG
Thrusting.
TCTTS
AG
The more I think about this theory, the more convinced I am. Again, some of the "clues" this guy points out in the video are a stretch, but the basic premise makes too much sense.
Ag Since 83
AG
I certainly like that theory better than "she is the reincarnation of Anakin/the chosen one" but we'll see.

Now that Life Debt is out, I wonder if what we learn about Jakku at the end does to this theory: (Life Debt spoilers following)

Why would Luke send her to a place so important (for some as yet unknown reason) to Palpatine, if it is indeed Luke who hides her there? For that matter, even if she's not related to Palpatine, why send her there? It seems to make her discovery by the wrong people more likely. I assume whatever Palpatine's connection to the place is will become known to both the audience and to Luke in Empire's End.

End spoilers
The Collective
AG
I think it would be an interesting twist. The nerds are the only ones that will see it as a possibility...
TCTTS
AG
What's the Jakku/Palpatine spoiler twist? If it's from a book, I could not care less if I know it. Just use spoiler tags in case.
Ag Since 83
AG
***Life Debt spoiler warning for those who want to read it still***

The prologue and epilogue to the book were flashbacks that center around Gallius Rax, the Imperial admiral who probably isn't Snoke but is more or less running the Empire behind the scenes immediately after Endor. In the prologue, we see as a young boy he escaped his home planet of Jakku by stowing away on a ship belonging to some visiting noble who had some mysterious business on the planet (something about excavation if I remember correctly). In the epilogue, it is revealed that the noble is Palpatine and he "befriends" the young Rax, sending him back to Jakku to look over whatever it is Palpatine was doing there (and which will feed into, presumably, the battle of Jakku in Empire's End)

***end spoiler***
TCTTS
AG
Cool, gotcha. Thanks for posting. Very interesting indeed...
Jason Ag
AG
quote:
The more I think about this theory, the more convinced I am. Again, some of the "clues" this guy points out in the video are a stretch, but the basic premise makes too much sense.

Sometimes these theories are better than the actual story. I think she would be his daughter, not granddaughter. As for the age, maybe she was frozen in carbonite for a time.
amercer
AG
I like the theory (not as much as her being a Kenobi, but it's still good)

HOWEVER, it's clear to me that fans collectively put a LOT more thought into this then the people who actually make the movies. It woundnt suprise me in the least if they haven't even decided who Rey's parents are, or if they change their minds at some point. Too many creative minds are involved in this for me to think anything can be set in stone until the movie is on film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Skywalker being the dark side and the Palpatine being a Jedi would certainly be kind of poetic.
AliasMan02
AG
The theory is solid. I think a couple of his points show a lot of confirmation bias, but overall the symmetry of it is very Star Wars.

To play Devil's Advocate, we have a lot of source information about Palps. None of it indicates in any way that he has a family. In the aftermath of his death, with the Empire splintered, no spawn of Palpatine came forward to claim part of the Empire. The one exception is one of the VERY FIRST novels ever (The Glove of Darth Vader), which was discarded even before the old EU was a thing, included him having an alleged son.

Many of the things he uses to state his case, like her draw to the Dark Side, has nothing to do with her lineage. That's a fact of life for ALL Force users. Luke faced it in exactly the same way that Rey did. And if you're looking for some evil in her lineage, duh... there's a pretty evil guy in the series who is a Skywalker.

Also, it's very possible for Rey to be a Palpatine AND a Skywalker or Kenobi. She has to have two parents, of course. No more Force babies.

The overwhelming bit of evidence that she may be a Skywalker is the insistence of the people running the show that the saga films are ultimately about the Skywalker family. If it's not Rey, then it has to be about Ben, which means that he has to be redeemed after killing HAN SOLO. That's a long journey to redemption.
TXAG 05
AG
Palpatine was a big time politician, he probably had baby mamas all over the place.
redline248
AG
Rey related to Palpatine is so f-cking stupid. It won't be long before we start getting theories of Vader fathering more kids after Padme died.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Rey related to Palpatine is so f-cking stupid. It won't be long before we start getting theories of Vader fathering more kids after Padme died.
I would think that ability would have been burned off on Utapa, or whatever that lava planet was called.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
Rey is more powerful than Luke, or will be I believe. Lets say Palpatine had a daughter that then was impregnated with some Anakin DNA. Boom, Rey. Pal had this done right after he realized Luke existed.

Obi-wan quote ": The Emperor knew as I did that if Anakin were ever to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him"

So decides to find someone that he could train and be more powerful than Luke
Jason Ag
AG
quote:

Hate to break it to you bro, but it is sort of a space soap opera. Also, this will be the 8th movie of the steady story line. They are making Rouge I, as a change of pace.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Palpatines may not be father or grandfather; but he had to have some hate or tragedy in his life to build up so much hatred. Why is he (mostly) anti-Xeno?

Maybe aliens killed his sister or brother and Rey is is great niece or something more distant?
Jason Ag
AG
It is interesting that even with the prequels we don't know much about him or his past.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Palpatines may not be father or grandfather; but he had to have some hate or tragedy in his life to build up so much hatred. Why is he (mostly) anti-Xeno?

Maybe aliens killed his sister or brother and Rey is is great niece or something more distant?

*cough* read Plaguis */cough*
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

*cough* read Plaguis */cough*

*cough* not canon *cough*
hunter2012
AG
The Collective
AG
quote:
*cough* not canon *cough*

redline248
SwigAg11
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Not sure what you mean, but star the post, folks!

http://texags.com/forums/69/topics/2763819
We did it guys! Getting spoiler tags soon!

http://texags.com/forums/69/topics/2763819
First Page Last Page
Page 457 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.