Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,110 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
AR_Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sadly.... All over Oklahoma.
Duncan Idaho
I've had to spend a fair amount of time in some small towns over the last year and these are surprisingly common
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

Her fighting style still looks like Palpatines to me... Heavy two handed thrusts , not much parrying or slashing
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

Her fighting style still looks like Palpatines to me... Heavy two handed thrusts , not much parrying or slashing

I know one can never say never, so to speak, but I'm not sure we can draw anything from that sort of observation. For one, Ian McDiarmid was too old and slow to really do anything. Rey has zero training, that we know about, so she doesn't have a style. IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
Wow. This thread is huge.

Just watched it again and have no time to go through entire thread.

1) Yokel discovers force
2) Reluctant hero
3) bad guy in mask
4) cute robot
5) hidden plans in robot
6) giant planet shaped gun
7) must disable force field around gun planet
8) Attack to blow up planet shaped gun by a few spacecraft
9) good guys blow up planet shaped gun

How is this not a lazy retread of episode 4? I understand setting the table for future movies but they could have done so much better with the story line. Very, very well acted and it was beautiful to watch but that story was really disappointing. Seemed more like a fanboy reimagining than a new addition to the story. Ugh.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Wow. This thread is huge.

Just watched it again and have no time to go through entire thread.

1) Yokel discovers force
2) Reluctant hero
3) bad guy in mask
4) cute robot
5) hidden plans in robot
6) giant planet shaped gun
7) must disable force field around gun planet
8) Attack to blow up planet shaped gun by a few spacecraft
9) good guys blow up planet shaped gun

How is this not a lazy retread of episode 4? I understand setting the table for future movies but they could have done so much better with the story line. Very, very well acted and it was beautiful to watch but that story was really disappointing. Seemed more like a fanboy reimagining than a new addition to the story. Ugh.

Several of those didn't bother me. Like the first 4. Since they are either classic story telling or what makes star wars star wars.

But yeah the 3rd death star thing was disapointing.it was lazy but (like jedi) but not stupid, boring and completely nonsensical (like the prequels )

But it was still a lot of fun and it was delivered well.
The Collective
AG
Two most cringe-worthy things for me:

Starkiller Base and "That's one helluva pilot"
3rdGen2015
AG
I mean, if you were in charge what would you have done differently? This was, for all intents and purposes, a reboot of the series so they had to stick to familiar themes and give some fan service with call backs to the previous movies. Plus, Star Wars is a take on the hero's journey so the basic outline of the movie will feel familiar no matter what the surrounding events are. It's the same reason that the next movie will be darker and end on a low note for the protagonists and seem like all hope is lost. It's also the same reason that Episode IX will end with the protagonists eventually winning.

As far as Starkiller Base goes, I don't have a problem with it because it is the next logical step in my mind. I mean think about it, it's been 30 years since the events of Jedi and technology has advanced. So what is the next progression in super weapon? You've already shown you can blow up an entire planet so obviously the next step is a weapon that can blow up whole star systems.
wangus12
AG
quote:
"That's one helluva pilot"
Why? Finn has never seen aerial combat since Jakku was his first mission and that was on the ground. Then he watches 1 guy single handedly destroys ~10 Ties. The exclamation makes perfect sense
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
In Oklahoma, they still rent out VHS players.
fig96
AG
If you did go through more of the thread (which I realize is a tall order) you'd see that this was actually discussed a good bit

Personally it didn't bother me, I thought the film overall was a nice blend of the familiar with fresh takes for a new audience.
The Collective
AG
quote:
quote:
"That's one helluva pilot"
Why? Finn has never seen aerial combat since Jakku was his first mission and that was on the ground. Then he watches 1 guy single handedly destroys ~10 Ties. The exclamation makes perfect sense

Maybe it was just the one scene for me... could be PTSD of what I am on the receiving end of anytime I venture online to play multiplayer video games.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
If you did go through more of the thread (which I realize is a tall order) you'd see that this was actually discussed a good bit

Personally it didn't bother me, I thought the film overall was a nice blend of the familiar with fresh takes for a new audience.
This. You can refer to the OP for a bit of help jumping around.
AgMarauder04
AG
Read through all the "X-Ray" trivia spots on Amazon. Those were pretty cool.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

there is still one Family Video (at least) in the middle of DFW....in Coppell.....very popular there too. no other video store in town.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know one can never say never, so to speak, but I'm not sure we can draw anything from that sort of observation. For one, Ian McDiarmid was too old and slow to really do anything. Rey has zero training, that we know about, so she doesn't have a style. IMO.
Abrams talked about the fact at this age, no one really has force training with a lightsaber, so it's all pretty rudimentary. A lot of hack and slashing because of no real training.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So much more Roman Gladiator than Frankish Rapier dueling.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
So much more Roman Gladiator than Frankish Rapier dueling.
I mean, Ren maybe had a LITTLE training, but Finn and Rey had never even seen a lightsaber before they picked it up.
redline248
AG
Kylo obviously learned from Luke, and it's possible Stormtroopers get some basic training in "sword" fighting. The riot trooper basically used that one thing like a saber.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Kylo obviously learned from Luke, and it's possible Stormtroopers get some basic training in "sword" fighting. The riot trooper basically used that one thing like a saber.

Stormtroopers do get hand to hand training.
hunter2012
AG
Don't forget that she used a staff as her weapon of choice and based on the movie she had a talent for it. So her instinct for melee weapons would be wielding it 2 handed.

Also don't forget Luke also fought exclusively two handed.
redline248
AG
Yeah, but unlikely with lightsabers. So he would be using a modified technique.
Dro07
AG
He probably did more Man to Hand combat than anything else
TCTTS
AG
Ugh. I was hoping we'd never see this character again...

http://www.slashfilm.com/maz-kanata-episode-8/
The Collective
AG
quote:

Also don't forget Luke also fought exclusively two handed.

Well, except for that one time.
TCTTS
AG
On a happier, cuter note...

https://instagr.am/p/BDxxnhhlE2k
AliasMan02
AG
That's it. I can't take it any more. I'm moving to London to try and engineer some way to meet her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Ugh. I was hoping we'd never see this character again...

http://www.slashfilm.com/maz-kanata-episode-8/
Nothing wrong with Maz.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Luke vs Vader in the final with Luke winning comfortably.

No real surprise but it was cool to see Rey and Kylo make it to the final four. Goes to show how beloved these new characters already are.

THAT is the big victory for Abrams and TFA.
The Collective
AG
Seems like she is now necessary to get some background info.
512Ag
AG
Or that Maz/Chewy wedding we're all hoping for.
wangus12
AG
I liked Maz
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone gotten their bluray today? Haven't gotten an update from USPS today other than it arrived to the local USPS facility this morning.
First Page Last Page
Page 391 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.