Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,162 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Simplebay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Luke are you sure the computer can hit it?"

blah blah blah more things

"Blast it Biggs where are you??"
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Biggs: "Not now, we'll have so much time to catch up after we attack the indestructible battle station defended by 6 billion guns and a fleet of TIE fighters, one of which is flown by Darth Vader!"

Luke: "Foreshadow much?"
jr15aggie
AG
So why exactly did they have to fly down the trench of death? Pretty sure it would have been an easier shot, you know, flying straight towards the ventilation shaft instead of flying perpendicular to it.

And why was Luke flying an X-wing in the first place? Wouldn't he require some sort of training on basic flight controls, not to mention basic dog fight procedures during a combat situations?

And why was the high ground so important when Obi-Wan fought Anakin? I thought Jedi could jump like really really high... like, jump off a 500 foot thingy that is falling down a lava waterfall!?

Is it best if I just don't think about the many thins that don't make sense in these films?
Ulrich
So why exactly did they have to fly down the trench of death? Pretty sure it would have been an easier shot, you know, flying straight towards the ventilation shaft instead of flying perpendicular to it.Flying straight in puts them in the effective zone of the anti-ship defenses. Down in the trench, the fighters are coming too fast for the turrets to track plus the death star itself provides cover against fighters and turrets.

And why was Luke flying an X-wing in the first place? Wouldn't he require some sort of training on basic flight controls, not to mention basic dog fight procedures during a combat situations?The T-16 referenced earlier in the movie is made by the same company as the X-Wing and has very similar controls. In fact, the T-16 is sometimes used as a flight trainer for fighter pilots.

And why was the high ground so important when Obi-Wan fought Anakin? I thought Jedi could jump like really really high... like, jump off a 500 foot thingy that is falling down a lava waterfall!?George Lucas is the laziest writer of all time.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
And why was the high ground so important when Obi-Wan fought Anakin? I thought Jedi could jump like really really high... like, jump off a 500 foot thingy that is falling down a lava waterfall!?George Lucas is the laziest writer of all time.

LOL!
Red Five
AG
quote:
So why exactly did they have to fly down the trench of death? Pretty sure it would have been an easier shot, you know, flying straight towards the ventilation shaft instead of flying perpendicular to it.
Flying down the trench gives the broadest cross section of the target, which was only 2 meters to begin with, because its perpendicular to the plane of flight. It also provides cover from turrets not located directly above that specific trench and from TIE fighters in the general area.

quote:
And why was Luke flying an X-wing in the first place? Wouldn't he require some sort of training on basic flight controls, not to mention basic dog fight procedures during a combat situations?
Luke already had a reputation as a hot hand in a T-16, a light craft manufactured by Incom that shared so many similarities to its sibling the T-65 X-wing that the Rebellion used them as training craft for X-wing pilots. I doubt the Falcon landed and Luke hopped right into an X-wing. I'm sure they put him in a simulator and he annihilated every training mark they had so they gave him a spot in the squadron.

quote:
And why was the high ground so important when Obi-Wan fought Anakin? I thought Jedi could jump like really really high... like, jump off a 500 foot thingy that is falling down a lava waterfall!?
Really can't help you here. That scene was a travesty.
AliasMan02
AG
I doubt the Falcon landed and Luke hopped right into an X-wing. I'm sure they put him in a simulator and he annihilated every training mark they had so they gave him a spot in the squadron.

Everyone who is a fan of Star Wars should find the radio drama somewhere and give it a listen. It's great, and reincorporates a lot of things that didn't make the movie (Biggs showing up on Tatooine to say goodbye to Luke before running off to join the rebellion, for example) and fills in some other gaps. Luke training on a simulator is included.
redline248
AG
Found this. I wish I had written it, lol.

wangus12
AG
Basically, Kenobi could play some badass defense and wait for you to **** it up
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Basically, Kenobi could play some badass defense and wait for you to **** it up

That's why they call him Iceman.
benMath08
AG
quote:
Found this. I wish I had written it, lol.

I love Star Wars but the amount of rationalizing that fans can do for Lucas' piss poor writing is hilarious sometimes
redline248
AG
To be fair to fans, some of that stuff about the lightsaber forms or the emotions/decisions Anakin were making more than likely come straight from official Star Wars literature or even the novelization of the movie.

So, really, it's Lucas coming up with crap to defend himself.
Red Five
AG
quote:
I love Star Wars but the amount of rationalizing that fans can do for Lucas' piss poor writing is hilarious sometimes
It's not the fans doing it, unless I am reading it wrong that person is just quoting EU source material that hepls explain how it happened. Its the writers of the EU novels who have to do backflips to try to make sense of the non-sensical prequels and retcon things that Lucas has destroyed.
Ulrich
The explanation of 12 parsecs, while plausiblish, is rationalization to cover for a failure in the script. Ditto for the "high ground" explanation above. Luke already knowing how to fly a fighter is intentionally established in the movie before he flies a fighter.
Rudyjax
AG
Someone explain the high ground thing?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Someone explain the high ground thing?

Obi wan and Vader have been fighting in amazingly flashy fashion for about half an hour, flipping around, riding metal rafts through the lava for some reason, and only selectively using various Force powers so as to extend the scene.

When it is time for the scene to be over, Lucas had no way to end it. The conditions of the fight are totally unchanged, the combatants have not gained any advantage or suffered a disadvantage, but have remained exactly evenly matched.

Lucas resolves this by Obi wan leaping onto the shore, which he could have done at almost any point of the battle, and declaring that the fight is over because he has the high ground, which again is something that if it was his objective, he could have done a dozen times during the duel; it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Obi wan had even previously held high ground.

Anyway, this high ground is supposed to be the ultimate advantage (only because time is up and this is how Lucas can end the scene), but because this makes no sense, Lucas just has Obi wan declare it as if it means something. "Give up! I have the high ground!" This is a time honored Lucas writing trope: have characters simply state their emotions or reasons rather than use context, subtext, or... acting/directing, I guess.

Vader tries a move and gets sliced up, and Obi wan does what any Jedi would do: he heals him. No, wait... He drags him to safety to take him into custody. No, sorry... He puts him out of his misery.

Oh, I remember. He leaves his best friend and failed pupil laying on the ground in agony to slide into the lava, assuming that this kills him.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
One off movies for Wicket or Logray? I'm in.

Yub nub!
Ulrich
quote:
Oh, I remember. He leaves his best friend and failed pupil laying on the ground in agony to slide into the lava, assuming that this kills him.

Scott, you just don't get it, do ya? You don't.
Legal Custodian
AG
quote:
quote:

Scott, you just don't get it, do ya? You don't.
InnerCityAg
quote:

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Additional news from Latino Review...

http://www.latino-review.com/news/s7ar-wars-death-becomes-spoiler

Basically, Adam Driver is NOT playing the son of Han and Leia, Stormtrooper armor has been seen on set, and two additional female roles look to have been cast.

Apparently LR will be doing a weekly SW article every Friday with news bits like this.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Stormtroopers
boogieman
AG

[This message has been edited by boogieman (edited 5/16/2014 12:42p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Those pics.

Six to midnight.
TCTTS
AG
Third ‘Star Wars’ Spin Off Could Be About X-Wing Fighters or Luke Skywalker[/url]

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/16/2014 7:15p).]
Red Five
AG
Oh man Oh man Oh man Oh man Oh man Oh man
gigemags-99
AG
Boba Fett? Yes, please
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Oh man Oh man Oh man Oh man Oh man Oh man

Was hoping to see Red Five's take.
Cyprian
AG
quote:
Those pics.

Six to midnight.

I don't see why you'd stare at them quite that long.
BryanAggie2013
AG
quote:
quote:
Those pics.

Six to midnight.

I don't see why you'd stare at them quite that long.

Well played
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
Simplebay
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.