Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,942 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
We haven't seen Threepio yet.

He was in the international trailer, I think, shot with Leia in what appears to be a command center.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
There's a couple of Poe we haven't seen, and Threepio was in the international trailer IIRC.
TCTTS
AG

AgMarauder04
AG

Helmet off?

Does this lead to Finn being the one Rey is crying over?
The Collective
AG
That caption with the quote from Driver on Kylo Ren tells a lot, I think.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

Poe: Does this look like the face of someone who cares?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure why I even had the thought. I should have ignored it and not tried to reason why he hasn't been shown.
It's not worse than Spilner's 4000-word dissertation about the dream he had of a John Williams concert at Kyle Field with X-Wings flying around, or whatever that was.

I wouldn't be talking, fanfic boy.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Yeah the picture of Rey, Finn, and Kylo with mask off in the snow makes you think it is Finn she is crying over.

Also I really think when Finn and Poe escape on the Tie. Finn will think Poe is dead and take his jacket from the Tie when he runs up to it in that other picture. Same reason he is holding it when he walks up on the town and is holding the jacket. He is mourning the "death" of Poe.

Then Han takes Finn and Rey to the resistance base where Finn and Poe meet back up. But we won't necessarily know how Poe got back there.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds about right.
The Collective
AG
So, the raid on Jakku could be as simple as they are looking for Poe. I doubt they would put forth that kind of effort just to find a stormtrooper that went AWOL.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty much. Though, I think BB-8 likely has what they're REALLY after.
The Collective
AG
Yep. BB-8 is the modern R2 in this story.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Pretty much. Though, I think BB-8 likely has what they're REALLY after.

MGS
quote:
quote:
There's a couple of Poe we haven't seen, and Threepio was in the international trailer IIRC.
Yep, in the shot with Leia in the command center, and he had that red arm.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

to me this picture tears it that Rey has some sort of lightsaber hybrid weapon tucks away, and she's the one that bails Finn out if Kylo starts curb stomping him.
twilly
AG
C-3PO and R2-D2 are both 60+ years old in this movie. Doesn't it seem kind of odd that they are still using 60 year old technology? It's like instead of using a PC, you and your co-workers would have an ENIAC to crunch numbers in your office.

I mean how many of us are still using, not just 60 year old technology, but using an electronic item built more than 60 years ago?
Texaggie7nine
They are more personable. Why do people still drive 60 year old cars when there are far more technically efficient cars out there?
7nine
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
C-3PO and R2-D2 are both 60+ years old in this movie. Doesn't it seem kind of odd that they are still using 60 year old technology? It's like instead of using a PC, you and your co-workers would have an ENIAC to crunch numbers in your office.

I mean how many of us are still using, not just 60 year old technology, but using an electronic item built more than 60 years ago?
Because its Star Wars
twilly
AG
But 60 year old cars don't interpret six million forms of communication.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Maybe Kylo realized that Anakin built C3PO, and that is who he is really after.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
But 60 year old cars don't interpret six million forms of communication.
Simple programming upgrades.

Data in Star Trek got plenty of upgrades but always stayed looking the same.
7nine
The Collective
AG
Not much time for R&D efforts on the Rebellion side perhaps? You would think hardware obsolescence would be a huge deal on droids that old.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Maybe Kylo realized that Anakin built C3PO, and that is who he is really after.
I wonder what Kylo's thoughts on sand are.
twilly
AG
I should also point out this holds true for a certain weapon that may or may not hold some significance in this film.
TCTTS
AG
Why would you assume that technology ages the same way in this galaxy / time period as it does in ours?
Urban Ag
AG
quote:

not odd at all. New technology requires investment. It requires money. It requires a logistical path to move from R&D to production and finally to the consumer. In a galaxy far, far, away, ravaged by decades of war and interplanetary strife, economies get ruined. Manufacturing capabilities crippled. New technology is lost among some worlds and races who are forced to make due with what is available and within their means. In other areas technological advancement could be way ahead and flourishing.

Also, don't forget that the US military still fields billions of dollars worth of equipment that manufactured decades ago. B52's were dropping bombs on Astan and Iraq 10 years ago. The Marines still fly the Cobra. The Army still flies the UH1 is some capacity. And so on.

And, I actually have a lamp over my head right now that my dad took to TAMC in the fall of 1962. And....he could remember that lamp on his dad's drafting table back in the early 50's.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
No Steve Jobs/ Bill Gates in star wars universe to push technology forward
twilly
AG
quote:
Why would you assume that technology ages the same way in this galaxy / time period as it does in ours?
Apparently the First Order upgraded a few items, so it can be done.

And yes STAR WARS has never been one to adhere to the universal laws of physics. I'f you'd like to discuss this further, you can telegraph me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
60-year-old technology

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Not much time for R&D efforts on the Rebellion side perhaps? You would think hardware obsolescence would be a huge deal on droids that old.
Eh, I'm of the opinion that the technology in the SWU has probably plateaued in some regards. New X-Wing's or fighters are probably a little bit more important than new droids.
hurleyag
AG

This is the character Simon Peg was dressed as in the behind the scene footage correct?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
plus, technology doesn't really ramp up when there's a civil war going on. all the resistance groups around the world aren't flying F-16s, they're guys in pickup trucks with machine guns.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
plus, technology doesn't really ramp up when there's a civil war going on. all the resistance groups around the world aren't flying F-16s, they're guys in pickup trucks with machine guns.
True, but I think we are about to see tonight how the B-Wing came to be. Well, the prototype of it at least. Here is the clip for tonight's portion from Rebels Recon.
COOL LASER FALCON
I actually think the 30 year old technology will be addressed. I think we see 3P0 hanging in the base with Leia instead of flying around on the Falcon and R2 looks like he's hanging out with Luke in whatever isolation he's put himself in.

I bet we'll see droids with better technology, but these two are being kept around for sentimental reasons.
First Page Last Page
Page 253 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.