Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,795 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
From the international trailer: "Hope is not lost today, it is found". Safe to assume that is a direct reference to Luke in the same way A New Hope is also referring to Luke. The best thing about all this Luke secrecy is the audience (especially the day 1 crowd that I will be a part of) is gonna lose their mind when he shows up finally.

A 2nd viewing will be necessary simply because I'll probably miss certain dialogue pieces because of audience cheering! At least I hope so... I'll be disappointed if the theater I'm in isn't that kind of audience opening night.
My guess is a major character dies, and in response, Rey reveals herself as being a powerful, yet untrained, Jedi, and that is the hope that is found. (Even though so-and-so died and it looks like all hope died with him/her, in fact, hope is reborn because now we have this badass ally to fight for us). Another guess, is that she will have some psychological block to using the force. People will tell her they can feel it in her but she can't unleash it.

It could be Finn who is killed in the duel with Kylo (though I would be surprised), or somebody else (perhaps Han, but that would suck as he is the best character in the series by far). I don't think we have any way of knowing right now, as the trailers could be intentionally misleading on this point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guys.

We are 38 DAYS away from Star Wars Episode VII.

Jesus spent longer wandering the desert.

The Chilean miners spent almost twice as long buried underground.

Nothing stops this hype train.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
From the international trailer: "Hope is not lost today, it is found". Safe to assume that is a direct reference to Luke in the same way A New Hope is also referring to Luke.
I'm not convinced that it is a reference to Luke. Personally, I'm thinking it is a reference to Rey.

Which means that it's still about Luke!
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
From the international trailer: "Hope is not lost today, it is found". Safe to assume that is a direct reference to Luke in the same way A New Hope is also referring to Luke.
I'm not convinced that it is a reference to Luke. Personally, I'm thinking it is a reference to Rey.

I think it's a reference to BB-8.
The Collective
AG
So, movie types, walk me through what is happening with this film right now at 38 days out from release? Are there still finishing touches being completed? What does the timeline from today to release look like at a macro-level?
The Collective
AG
quote:
Step through the sleek, anonymous metal door of J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions and you enter a world of memorabiliathe murderous Talky Tina doll from The Twilight Zone, rows of old VHS tapes labeled "Midnight Movies," a Six Million Dollar Man board game, assorted Godzillas. But if you look closely (we looked closely) you will see a meticulousness to the madness: The props and tchotchkes are all dust-free and carefully arranged. Those vintage 1970s Star Trek action figures aren't just sitting there. They're posed. This stuff is well loved. It's clear that in addition to being one of the most gifted movie directors in the world, somehow the heir apparent to both Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, Abrams is also a superfan.

Kylo is JJ Abrams
Btron
AG
quote:
Half-baked theory:

What if this movie is, in some way, an echo of Luke's basic arc from A New Hope, but told through multiple viewpoints? So far we have:

- A (probably) Force-sensitive adolescent orphaned on a desert planet, who, by chance at some point in the first act, not only meets an important droid, but mets Han Salo and Chewbacca as well, boards the Millennium Falcon, and ultimately gets swept up in a grand adventure because of said droid and Han (just like Luke with R2 and Han in the first act of A New Hope).

- Darth Vader and his original mission essentially being "channeled"/resurrected via Kylo to thwart / attempt to turn our heroes.

- Poe, looking very Luke Skywalker-esque, leading an X-Wing attack on Starkiller base, an attack that is blatantly reminiscent of the initial attack on the Death Star, as seen in the latest TV spot.

For whatever reason, this doesn't feel like lazy writing. Instead, the instances above feel like blatant winks at something bigger and more intentional going on. If so, and if this is the Force somehow, for whatever reason, echoing Luke's story in a way, A) why? B) how does Finn's viewpoint reflect another aspect of Luke's arc, if not A New Hope in a broader sense?

How cool would it be if Luke is so in-tune with the Force that the Force itself is essentially causing his story to echo/repeat itself, with whatever resources and characters are at a hand, but all in service to "save" Luke from himself or the Dark Side? Not that any of these characters are puppets or anything like that, but it would definitely be a unique answer to the question J.J. originally set out to answer: Who, exactly, is Luke Skywalker?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm far from an expert, but I believe the final cut of the film is done (or very close to it), seeing as they showed it already.

My guess is a few finishing touches on the CGI, maybe a couple shots that need to be finished, and finally the score being edited and put into the film. (They've been recording the score in October, I believe.)

But I think it's safe to say that a new Star Wars film exists and is about 95% complete. Exciting stuff.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I'm far from an expert, but I believe the final cut of the film is done (or very close to it), seeing as they showed it already.

My guess is a few finishing touches on the CGI, maybe a couple shots that need to be finished, and finally the score being edited and put into the film. (They've been recording the score in October, I believe.)

But I think it's safe to say that a new Star Wars film exists and is about 95% complete. Exciting stuff.
^ This.
TCTTS
AG
This video gets quite a bit wrong, but still cool to see nonetheless...

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

quote:
A 2nd viewing will be necessary simply because I'll probably miss certain dialogue pieces because of audience cheering! At least I hope so... I'll be disappointed if the theater I'm in isn't that kind of audience opening night.

This is why we are going to Alamo Drafthouse on opening night. Typically, their crowds are pretty great for events like this.

I'll go see it in 70mm IMAX for my second viewing after Christmas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I loved this bit:

quote:
So: John Williams!

Oh my God! First of all, forget his talent and his achievement. As a person, he's the guy you want to know more than anyone. He is the sweetest soul I've ever met. He's like this jazzman who became one of the greatest composers of all time. He literally calls you "baby"! Like, "Hey, baby." He calls me "J.J. Baby." I waited all my life to meet someone who would call me that!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
So, movie types, walk me through what is happening with this film right now at 38 days out from release? Are there still finishing touches being completed? What does the timeline from today to release look like at a macro-level?
The team at Skywalker Ranch is frantically adding Boba Fett, dewbacks, jawas, and extra stormtroopers to every scene. And Force Ghosts.

And any time someone falls more than 3 feet, they yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
The team at Skywalker Ranch is frantically adding Boba Fett, dewbacks, jawas, and extra stormtroopers to every scene. And Force Ghosts.

And any time someone falls more than 3 feet, they yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Ah yes, the Wilhelm Scream.

COOL LASER FALCON
JJ is so awesome.
quote:
You don't really know what the Clone Wars were, or what the Republic was really about or what it looked like. All of those massive story elements are merely brushstrokes in A New Hope. In 1977, none of those things were clear to anyone and maybe not even entirely to George Lucas.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
They're coming in too fast!

This next book has a very very minor spoiler about Max Von Sydow, particularly because it's a kid's book illustration, not anything real from the movie, but still if you wanna stay pure, don't click! It's a look and find book (Where's Waldo esque) with scenes from the movie. Admiral Ackbar is in part of it, and looks pissed as hell.

clicky

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
From that chronological trailer where did that shot of Han come from on the ice world.. I don't remember it?
jabberwalkie09
AG
YES! I was about to post that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yesterday's tv spot.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
TC, you've said in the past that reading full scripts haven't ruined the enjoyment of a film for you in the past. I'm curious, but with TFA has the full plot and order of things been kept under wraps by Disney/Lucasfilm or have you been intentionally holding back for your own enjoyment once it hits theaters?
Quinn
AG
How much do you think Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are getting paid for this movie since they were unknowns before this? Less than the original cast is getting paid for this? Is Adam Driver making more than them since he's a star already and seems to be the third lead? Do they get any of the profits on the back end or just a flat fee?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Starting to think he knows quite a bit more than he is letting on if he is sure they got a few things wrong.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
How much do you think Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are getting paid for this movie since they were unknowns before this? Less than the original cast is getting paid for this? Is Adam Driver making more than them since he's a star already and seems to be the third lead? Do they get any of the profits on the back end or just a flat fee?
If any of these actors were smart, they'd pull a RDJ and negotiate for a percentage of the profits. This film is going to make metric ****-tons of money regardless.

BES, I'm fairly certain that TC has said in the past that he knew roughly the first 2/3's of the movie roughly at some point.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

"No, no! You don't just shoot around them! You try and actually hit the targets!"
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I really don't. There's not that much more to know. It's just obvious that some of those scenes are out of order.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
TC, you've said in the past that reading full scripts haven't ruined the enjoyment of a film for you in the past. I'm curious, but with TFA has the full plot and order of things been kept under wraps by Disney/Lucasfilm or have you been intentionally holding back for your own enjoyment once it hits theaters?
The full plot has been kept under wraps by Disney. There's no one out there in the blogosphere who knows the whole movie. Basically, unless you're currently working on the movie, you don't know everything. And even then, I'd still be there are only a handful of people outside of cast/executives who have read the script or seen the movie at this point. Disney has done a phenomenal job of keeping everything under wraps.

That said, if more plot details had leaked, I probably wouldn't have read them. I feel like I know enough at this point to piece a lot of the story together, but still be surprised in theaters, which is a good balance I think.
jabberwalkie09
AG
New Battlefront trailer. Wait....What the... IS THAT HOME ONE AT THE END?!

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kevin Smith says he's seen quite a bit, but who knows. He may just be trying to seem more in the know than he really is.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
New Battlefront trailer. Wait....What the... IS THAT HOME ONE AT THE END?!

Definitely a Mon Cal cruiser.
TCTTS
AG
gougler08
AG
Anyone know when episodes 1-6 are going to air on TV? I assume they'll run them prior to help hype this even more and I need to get my wife to watch them
Texags is garbage
I haven't had the time to scan through the thread to see if its been mentioned, but just saw the trailer that was released in Japan on reddit (Star Wars Leak). Wouldn't dare to even think about linking it here though. Worth a look for those who don't mind spoilers like myself.
First Page Last Page
Page 249 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.