Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,809 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Knife_Party
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do like the idea of Vader personifying a slow moving, unrelenting, unstoppable death.
FarmerJohn
AG
quote:
I get the impression that he will be more of a slow moving, unstoppable force that over powers his enemies with both his skills with a lightsaber and with the force if he appears in Rogue One on the battlefield.
Exactly, he's the Pepe Le Pew of villainy. That's what makes him so fearsome. He doesn't appear to be trying.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One more day left in September; I'll go ahead and say it. I was wrong about a trailer in September. My sincere apologies to all of you that were let down by my statements.

On the bright side, we're coming up on the home stretch. 79 days to go...
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I am probably alone on this but I prefer the idea that Vader is such a bad ass with the force that he doesn't need to be an agile swordsman.

I hated that they made Yoda a bad ass with a lightSaber in the prequels
I agree about Vader. It's pretty much how I have always envisioned him. Probably that is mostly due to having watched the OT so much in my childhood that he just was never in a hurry, but was very deliberate in his actions.

While I got a laugh out of it, I don't see why they decided to make him like was all hopping around like he was on drugs. Personally, I had always gotten a bit of more an artist in combat vibe from Yoda. Not that acrobatic version we got in the PT.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:

Why was this past over? He just confirmed she has a 2nd name. Not a last name, but a 2nd name. They are being dang sneaky with all of this and I like it. I wonder if her name is really Kira, which was the rumored name many people had associated with her last year.

Or am I an idiot and do some people refer to "last" name as "2nd" name???
Malachi Constant
AG
I think British people sometimes refer to the last name as the "second name"
Hagen95
AG
If you didn't enjoy Yoda kicking Dooku's butt in AotC, I'm not sure Star Wars is the series for you.

Vader is "more machine than man" and I don't picture him as an agile warrior. If you read some of the EU books, his fighting style is not the acrobatic jump around style of Yoda. I like the menacing, I'm better and stronger than you aura he puts out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
If you didn't enjoy Yoda kicking Dooku's butt in AotC, I'm not sure Star Wars is the series for you.

Did he kick Dooku's butt? Dooku suffered no injuries of any kind. I really feel that duel was fought in backwards order. Beings of that level of mastery shouldn't rely on weapons to see who's stronger. My ideal fight would have been.

Lightsabers - but evenly matched, because Yoda is small and agile, but Dooku has a longer reach and is stronger physically.

Dooku says, "It's obvious this contest cannot be determined by lightsaber, but by our knowledge of the Force."

That would have made so much more sense. Dooku thinks he's already learned everything he can in the Light Side, now he's gone Sith and thinks he knows infinitely more than Yoda because he's opened up to the Dark Side.

Thus, he goes through his throwing stuff at Yoda, who deflects it easily, then opens up the Force Lightning we haven't seen since ROTJ and Yoda handles that too.

Dooku realizes his big bag of tricks does jack squat against Yoda and that he better GTFO, so he pulls the cheap shot on Ani/Obi and runs for it.

Of course, Yoda goes against his own teachings and saves 2 lives instead of pursuing the man who will go on to murder millions. And then we go into a whole other problem of why the prequels didn't make no kinda sense.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
In the Rebels S2 premier he wasn't as mobile/agile as he was when he was Anakin in the PT. In the timeline of things, that was a few years prior to Rogue One. So, I'm kind of doubting that a Vader that is pretty agile is going to happen. I get the impression that he will be more of a slow moving, unstoppable force that over powers his enemies with both his skills with a lightsaber and with the force if he appears in Rogue One on the battlefield.
I imagine with all the prosthetisc and his suit just to keep him alive, he probably lost a lot of that agility.
AliasMan02
AG
Vader is depicted as moving very fast when needed (using the Force) and doing other incredible physical feats in the novels, particularly Lords of the Sith.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Did he kick Dooku's butt?
Well, retreating is basically forfeiting, which is a loss as far as I'm concerned.

Yoda beat Dooku, Palps beat Yoda. (And Mace beat Palps, dammit.)
Knife_Party
quote:
(And Mace beat Palps, dammit.)

I still maintain that Sidious knew Anakin was coming and played his cards to put him in a situation where he had to make a choice he couldn't go back from.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I still maintain that Sidious knew Anakin was coming and played his cards to put him in a situation where he had to make a choice he couldn't go back from.
I still maintain there are over 100 ways the final thing that turned Anakin into Vader could have been awesome instead of the turd Lucas gave us!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

Once Anakin arrived, he obviously played to that. But he legitimately lost that fight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Wait, what???? Kylo a Sith after all? Rey a Jedi?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Welp, that confirms a couple few of things.
wangus12
AG
So maybe Finn is the one they try to convert instead of Rey
Saxsoon
AG
What I am interested in is that we have seen Finn with a saber. Unless it was in defense like Han and rey is the true jedi
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
By the end of this thing, even BB8 will have a lightsaber.
jeffk
AG
quote:
By the end of this thing, even BB8 will have a lightsaber.

Lightsaber spoke thingies like on the chariots in Ben Hur!
jr15aggie
AG
Saw those cards a few days ago... forgot to post. Definitely starting to get into spoiler territory that I do not want, but I'm pretty sure we all knew going into this that Rey and Finn are both VERY likely to be Jedi's or future Jedi's. And all the talk about "Knights of Ren" is fine and dandy, but Kylo either is sith or will be in the very near future so nothing here ground breaking spoilers.

But, I don't want toys/trading cards/anything else letting much else out at this point. We are so close and I don't want anything spoiled. Last thing we need is to see something on a box of cereal saying "Rey Solo" or some crap like that! No more spoilers.... we just want a trailer!!!!
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Saw those cards a few days ago... forgot to post. Definitely starting to get into spoiler territory that I do not want, but I'm pretty sure we all knew going into this that Rey and Finn are both VERY likely to be Jedi's or future Jedi's. And all the talk about "Knights of Ren" is fine and dandy, but Kylo either is sith or will be in the very near future so nothing here ground breaking spoilers.

But, I don't want toys/trading cards/anything else letting much else out at this point. We are so close and I don't want anything spoiled. Last thing we need is to see something on a box of cereal saying "Rey Skywalker" or some crap like that! No more spoilers.... we just want a trailer!!!!
Close.... but fixed
TCTTS
AG
This is more true than you think.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Inside scoop? Spill it!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why would she take her mother's name that she never even used?
jr15aggie
AG
I think it's HIGHLY likely that Rey & Kylo are either siblings or cousins (Solo/Skywalker babies). The whole Father & Son Skywalker connection was too prevalent in the past 6 films and I see no reason why they won't continue the drama with Anakin's next generation of kin.

I think Rey & Finn are both Force sensitive and the only reason Finn isn't listed as "Jedi" on the card is that he's had zero training. I think Luke trained both Kylo & Rey as children and something bad happened... so they both have skills, but both are incomplete... Kylo's powers were sped up by giving in to his anger. At some point in this movie they will find Luke and the stage will be set for Ep VIII with Luke & his 2 apprentices.
TCTTS
AG
It's nothing big, but BB-8 apparently has a compartment where it hides Luke's lightsaber at one point (the one that everyone is after).
TCTTS
AG

quote:
I think Rey & Finn are both Force sensitive and the only reason Finn isn't listed as "Jedi" on the card is that he's had zero training. I think Luke trained both Kylo & Rey as children and something bad happened... so they both have skills, but both are incomplete... Kylo's powers were sped up by giving in to his anger. At some point in this movie they will find Luke and the stage will be set for Ep VIII with Luke & his 2 apprentices.

I think this is pretty spot on.
MGS
quote:
quote:
quote:

Once Anakin arrived, he obviously played to that. But he legitimately lost that fight.
4 Jedi vs. Palps -> 4 dead Jedi.

Everything happened according to Palpatine's design, the fight was over before it even began.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Disagree. Guess we'll never know for sure, but I'd direct you towards this clip to see a bit more of Mace's full badass potential.

Keegan99
AG
Mace legitimately had Palps beaten.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Disagree. Guess we'll never know for sure, but I'd direct you towards this clip to see a bit more of Mace's full badass potential.

The Tartakovsky Clone Wars was so great. I need to find Samurai Jack somewhere and rewatch it.
Hulla Baller
AG
I always thought palpatine was just acting weak so he could get Anakin to help him.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It' s impossible to believe Palpatine didn't go down on purpose vs. Mace when you saw the caliber of Force Powers he used in his fight with Yoda. He needed to conjure up a scenario where Anakin had to choose - Jedi or Sith - to get him in the right frame of mind to "do what must be done."

The novelization by Matthew Stover, which is absolutely outstanding by the way, makes this very clear.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Of course, Yoda goes against his own teachings and saves 2 lives instead of pursuing the man who will go on to murder millions. And then we go into a whole other problem of why the prequels didn't make no kinda sense.
This isn't precisely true.

I assume you are referring to him telling Luke (in ESB) that he should finish his training instead going to save his friends, so that he is better prepared to confront Vader, right?

Well, maybe it's this event that forces Yoda to recognize that choosing to confront a mass murderer is better than saving two lives. It's a timeline fallacy, perhaps?
First Page Last Page
Page 190 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.