Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,183 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there any word on whether John Williams will be scoring the anthology films? It would be awesome, but I'm guessing they're gonna do their own thing on those movies?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Is there any word on whether John Williams will be scoring the anthology films? It would be awesome, but I'm guessing they're gonna do their own thing on those movies?
I think I read that Alexandre Desplat (Argo, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Godzilla to name a few) is going to score Rogue One. Not sure they have announced who will be doing the second anthology yet.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

I seriously doubt it. If anything, I think he's just too damn old at this point. There was apparently a question of whether or not he'd be up for scoring even Episode VII, so I'd honestly be surprised to see him score Episode VIII. I'm betting we see Michael Giacchino take over scoring duties on the main films relatively soon.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
I think I read that Alexandre Desplat (Argo, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Godzilla to name a few) is going to score Rogue One. Not sure they have announced who will be doing the second anthology yet.

I think you're right. Desplat scored Godzilla for Gareth Edwards.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Actually here is the link from Film Music Reporter dated 3/15/2015.

quote:
Alexandre Desplat revealed in an interview on Radio Classique's Culture Club that he will be reuniting with director Gareth Edwards on the upcoming Star Wars spinoff feature Rogue One.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't remember much of the Godzilla score except the triumphant sounding music when Godzilla kills the MUTOs. Was it a pretty minimalist score or am I just misremembering?

Either way, will be cool to get some new/different sounds in there for the anthology films, shake things up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couple of digital paintings from the SW subreddit.

double aught
AG
quote:
I'm just glad Star Wars is in the hands of Disney. What they've done with Marvel is incredible, and I know they'll put the right people in there that will steer this universe in the right direction.
Is Marvel's success due to Disney's influence or due to Disney being hands off?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Precisely my point. They have a good history of putting in the right people and letting them run things.

As long as Lucasfilm has the right people at the top, who are planning things for the long term and hiring good writers and directors, all will be good.
AliasMan02
AG
This is a little old, but I hadn't seen it. Star Wars: The Phantom Edit cuts the prequels down to a total of 2 hours. The colors are a little messed up, but still pretty interesting. I can't get over how bad the CG has aged. The whole thing looks like a cartoon. It's obvious that they're always standing in some small little room.
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
I'm just glad Star Wars is in the hands of Disney. What they've done with Marvel is incredible, and I know they'll put the right people in there that will steer this universe in the right direction.

Neither. ****ty superhero movies have a built in audience and the entire thing is a franchise. It isn't as if they're quality story telling.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Neither. ****ty superhero movies have a built in audience and the entire thing is a franchise. It isn't as if they're quality story telling.
I might agree if it weren't for the fact that those movies have drawn in people who are even remotely comic book readers.
fig96
AG
quote:
This is a little old, but I hadn't seen it. Star Wars: The Phantom Edit cuts the prequels down to a total of 2 hours. The colors are a little messed up, but still pretty interesting. I can't get over how bad the CG has aged. The whole thing looks like a cartoon. It's obvious that they're always standing in some small little room.

I'll have to check it out, thanks. And I did notice while watching Episode III last week that a lot of the compositing is pretty off.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

I'll have to check it out, thanks. And I did notice while watching Episode III last week that a lot of the compositing is pretty off.
ROTS IMO looks leaps and bounds better than AOTC and TPM as far as CGI goes.
Ulrich
I've never read a comic book, but the Marvel movies are pretty enjoyable.

Are they groundbreaking storytelling? No. Do they tend to hit you over the head with well-trodden tropes? Yes. Do they consist of colorful bad guys executing fiendishly complex schemes with no discernible purpose all sharing the intermediate step of introducing division in the ranks as the only means of dealing with the fact that the avengers have a Hulk? Yeah, probably.

Are they a lot of fun to watch? Absolutely! They are funny, they do really cool things visually, the characters are distinct and exhibit development and conflict, and the fight scenes are awesome yet still comprehensible.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Don't bother getting into an arguement with him as he loathes comic book movies and makes that point as often as he possibly can, as well as his pure hatred for Platoon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gimme a f-ing break. As if comic book movies can't be good.

Look, there are good comic movies and bad comic movies just like anything else. And Marvel has had a very good track record so far with their MCU.

Here are examples of bad comic movies:
Fantastic Four
Daredevil
Green Lantern
Spider-Man 3

Compare those with:
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
X-Men: Days of Future Past

See the difference?

Edit: And I just realized we're in the Star Wars thread. Let's not derail the thread.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Gimme a f-ing break. As if comic book movies can't be good.

Look, there are good comic movies and bad comic movies just like anything else. And Marvel has had a very good track record so far with their MCU.

Here are examples of bad comic movies:
Fantastic Four
Daredevil
Green Lantern
Spider-Man 3

Compare those with:
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
X-Men: Days of Future Past

See the difference?

Edit: And I just realized we're in the Star Wars thread. Let's not derail the thread.
Good luck with that
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

ROTS IMO looks leaps and bounds better than AOTC and TPM as far as CGI goes.

I think a lot of it is less Jar Jar. The animation isn't bad but a lot of the composites look really off with obvious elements comped over others.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CNN is dumb. Just put out an article comparing Star Wars to ISIS. Obvious clickbait. **** whoever wrote this.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/12/opinions/star-wars-isis-islam/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On another note, apparently teaser 2 reached 200 million views. (Last week.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
On another note, I have opened the Star Wars hooked on phonics books I bought for my twin daughters 6 months before they were born 3 years ago.

My wife now glares at me as my girls open them up and proclaim "I want Yoda! I want the Ewoks! I want Chewbacca!"
Urban Ag
AG
quote:
I might agree if it weren't for the fact that those movies have drawn in people who are even remotely comic book readers.

Read comics when I was a kid. Emphasis on kid. Not since I was about 16 has there been anything "super hero" wise that would get me in a movie theatre. That was until Capt America, Iron Man, Avengers. Still not a super hero movie goer but they are producing some quality family friendly movies these days.
fig96
AG
Forget Episode VII, I'm gonna be in line for The Carbonite Maneuver.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Forget Episode VII, I'm gonna be in line for The Carbonite Maneuver.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Happy Star Wars Tipping Point Day!

Ag Since 83
AG
Phantom Menace came out on my 16th birthday. Next week, The Phantom Menace will have been around for half my life.

Most people get their drivers license for their 16th birthday. I got Star Wars Episode I. Thanks George.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Empire Strikes back re-release came out on my 23rd birthday in 1997. I took off work. When my boss asked why and I said "Star Wars" he called me an idiot. He was fired later that year for pulling a Costanza with the cleaning lady.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TPM came out a month before I turned 11. I don't recall watching the movie as much as I do solving this thing throughout the summer.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't stand those people either.

TCTTS
AG
quote:

I get what this is going for, but it's still kind of dumb. For a true comparison, the tipping point should really come after Revenge of the Sith. Between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace, it had been 16 years since we saw any Star Wars at all. But in the time since The Phantom Menace, we've had TWO Star Wars movies. In comparison, it's only been 10 years since Revenge of the Sith.
jeffk
AG
HOW DARE YOU INSULT XKCD!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

I get what this is going for, but it's still kind of dumb. For a true comparison, the tipping point should really come after Revenge of the Sith. Between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace, it had been 16 years since we saw any Star Wars at all. But in the time since The Phantom Menace, we've had TWO Star Wars movies. In comparison, it's only been 10 years since Revenge of the Sith.
Way to take the fun out the joke.
TCTTS
AG
Was just trying to make everyone feel not as old!
Dro07
AG
embrace the old...
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.