Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,112,112 Views | 44367 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hobbes for the win (Campus LAN share drive)
Used Napster
Kazaa
Then Limewire

Good memories
Decay
AG
Hobbes sighting

Man I haven't thought about that in years. Wonder how long it went on.
The Porkchop Express
SpreadsheetAg said:

Used Napster
Kazaa
Then Limewire

Good memories
Downloaded Episode I Pod Racer game on Kazaa at my job back in 2000-2001 ish
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
I was a senior in high school and a couple of us skipped class the morning of Wednesday, May 19 to go buy 20 tickets for The Phantom Menace in person at the local Cinemark in the mall. Mostly for friends, but also for a couple of parents, my dad included.

Our group was first in line later that afternoon, and my friend's dad - a former Longhorn quarterback in the '70s - made fun of us when they finally opened the doors, by elbowing us out of the way and sprinting through the theater to be the first one seated, acting like a complete lunatic along the way. Everyone was laughing, and so pumped, and in such great spirits. To FINALLY be seated for a new Star Wars movie, after all that time and anticipation, was almost surreal.

We were also days from graduation, and with those two things coming together at the same time, it was such a huge time in our lives, there was something in the air, etc.

And then the movie started.

And then the lights came up at the end.

And I vividly remember all 20 of us looking at each other, as we left our seats, wondering what the hell we just watched. Not a single person in our group liked it, and I remember there almost being a sense of embarrassment that we had been looking forward to that for so long.

I actually ended up seeing it three more times that summer, each time thinking maybe it would finally click and that I would "get it."

I never did.

Sadly, though, I still think it somehow remains the best of the prequels. It's the only one that looks like a real movie, with real locations, is shot on film, etc. IMO, it also has the best action of the bunch, the best villain of the bunch, and Liam Neeson at least brings a certain gravitas the other two movies lacked. To the point where I'm maybe thinking about seeing it again next week, purely out of nostalgia, whereas you couldn't pay me to see Episodes II or III on the big screen again.
bluefire579
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Used Napster
Kazaa
Then Limewire

Good memories
Downloaded Episode I Pod Racer game on Kazaa at my job back in 2000-2001 ish
I still have that for N64

Edit: Also still have Shadows of the Empire and Rogue Squadron. But never got the Naboo Fighter game
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

I was a senior in high school and a couple of us skipped class the morning of Wednesday, May 19 to go buy 20 tickets for The Phantom Menace in person at the local Cinemark in the mall. Mostly for friends, but also for a couple of parents, my dad included.

Our group was first in line later that afternoon, and my friend's dad - a former Longhorn quarterback in the '70s - made fun of us when they finally opened the doors, by elbowing us out of the way, and sprinting through the theater to be the first one seated, acting like a complete lunatic along the way. Everyone was laughing, and so pumped, and in such great spirits. To FINALLY be seated for a new Star Wars movie, after all that time and anticipation, was almost surreal.

We were also days from graduation, and with those two things coming together at the same time, it was such a huge time in our lives, there was just something in the air, etc.

And then the movie started.

And then the lights came up at the end.

And I vividly remember all 20 of us looking at each other, as we left our seats, wondering what the hell we just watched. Not a single person in our group liked it, and I remember there almost being a sense of embarrassment that we had been looking forward to that for so long.

I actually ended up seeing it three more times that summer, each time thinking maybe it would finally click and that I would "get it."

I never did.

Sadly, though, I still think it somehow remains the best of the prequels. It's the only one that looks like a real movie, with real locations, is shot on film, etc. IMO, it also has the best action of the bunch, the best villain of the bunch, and Liam Neeson at least brings a certain gravitas the other two movies lacked. To the point where I'm maybe thinking about seeing it again next week, purely out of nostalgia, whereas you couldn't pay me to see Episodes II or III on the big screen again.
Happy 25th anniversary from Buzz Killington!

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
I did say it was the best of the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Grain of salt...

YouBet
AG
Mr. White said:

Cinemark 10? Carmike 10? What was the theater by the mall called?

That was the theater. The one behind the mall. It was almost brand new at the time if I recall. Carmike 10?

Not North Loop 6. lol.
TCTTS
AG
The earliest College Station theater experience I remember was Rocky IV in '85, and I think it was at Post Oak? Whatever that theater was.

Then I have so many great memories from the Cinemark 18 off Highway 6. First movie I remember seeing there was The Lost World: Jurassic Park in '97, and then of course damn near every release from 1999 to 2005.

I think I've only ever seen one movie at Premiere Cinema, though, and that was The Martian in 2015.

But the best theater in College Station right now is Star Cinema Grill. It's pretty much the only theater we do now when I'm in town. Heck, it's even better/nicer than most LA theaters. I really love that place.
Belton Ag
AG
When I was in school and the big movies would be sellouts, I always went to the Schulman Theater in Bryan where Blinn is now. I never got turned away because it was sold out.

I saw TPM there opening weekend.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Belton Ag said:

When I was in school and the big movies would be sellouts, I always went to the Schulman Theater in Bryan where Blinn is now. I never got turned away because it was sold out.

Was that still there in 99?

I worked at that theater from 88-90. Dollar theater. Got that job shortly after someone hid in the skyboxes, waited until after closing time, donned a clown mask, and went to the office to rob the place. The manager was still there. There was a scuffle, during which the clown mask was pulled off. That guy then murdered the manager.
#FJB
Belton Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Belton Ag said:

Was that still there in 99?

I worked at that theater from 88-90. Dollar theater. Got that job shortly after someone hid in the skyboxes, waited until after closing time, donned a clown mask, and went to the office to rob the place. The manager was still there. There was a scuffle, during which the clown mask was pulled off. That guy then murdered the manager.
I honestly can't recall when it closed exactly but the last movie I remember seeing there was Gladiator so it was open until at least 2000.

Sad story about the murder.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

The earliest College Station theater experience I remember was Rocky IV in '85, and I think it was at Post Oak? Whatever that theater was.

Then I have so many great memories from the Cinemark 18 off Highway 6. First movie I remember seeing there was The Lost World: Jurassic Park in '97, and then of course damn near every release from 1999 to 2005.

I think I've only ever seen one movie at Premiere Cinema, though, and that was The Martian in 2015.

But the best theater in College Station right now is Star Cinema Grill. It's pretty much the only theater we do now when I'm in town. Heck, it's even better/nicer than most LA theaters. I really love that place.
Premiere being built was the best thing for me when I was in school because it forced Cinemark to drop their matinee to $4 to compete. I think I went and saw just about every movie that I had even a passing interest in during my senior year
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounds like we're around the same age. Class of 10?
The Porkchop Express
First look at Tales from the Empire. Morgan Elsbeth and the Nightsisters on Dathomir vs. Lord General Bronchitis

OnlyForNow
AG
I'm 07. Happened while I was there. 10 woulda just been a baby
The Porkchop Express
The CInemark opened my junior year I think - 95? WE were limited to the Post Oak Mall and the Schulman 6 before that I think. I went to the Cinemark opening night and saw Houseguest with Sinbad and Phil Hartman, totally sold out lol

I do love that theater, though. In about 6 weeks in 1996 (whoop), I saw Twister, Mission Impossible, The Rock, and Independence Day all on opening weekend there.
jokershady
AG
25 years ago I was 13….it was opening Friday and my dad got me out of school early and took me and my mom to go see it at west oaks mall….i remember thinking how cool it was that my dad got me out of school for a Star Wars movie and we had been talking about it for a good while…..

What's funny is I don't remember much about any specific moments watching the movie other than being 13 years old and enjoying it….but I still remember pulling into the parking lot on a bright sunny day and walking up to the theatre with my parents but really remember my dad….that was a good day….
The Porkchop Express
jokershady said:

25 years ago I was 13….it was opening Friday and my dad got me out of school early and took me and my mom to go see it at west oaks mall….i remember thinking how cool it was that my dad got me out of school for a Star Wars movie and we had been talking about it for a good while…..

What's funny is I don't remember much about any specific moments watching the movie other than being 13 years old and enjoying it….but I still remember pulling into the parking lot on a bright sunny day and walking up to the theatre with my parents but really remember my dad….that was a good day….
Going with family is the best part of it for me as well. Saw all 9 episodes with my dad and brother from 1977 when my Dad was 29, my brother was 6 and I was 3, through 2019 when my dad was 71, my brother was 48, I was 45, and my own daughter was 7.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sounds like we're around the same age. Class of 10?
maroon barchetta
Millennials
sburg2007
I used to love going to west oaks with my family. It felt like a real treat, a mall with a theater! I was used to sharpstown and Westwood that were nowhere near as nice.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I drove up 6 from Sugar Land to West Houston on Tuesday night rather than taking the beltway. Despite the fact that I live about 5 miles from west oaks I hadn't been through that intersection jn probably 5+ years. What a sad state for a dead mall.
jokershady
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Millennials
ahem….im a Geriatric Millennial….

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I don't remember when Premiere opened, but I feel like it was 07-08? I do know that Cinemark was $4 for most of the time I was a student, which was awesome.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Grain of salt...

member when Doctor Who fans thought Russell T Davis coming back to Doctor Who was going to save it?

I remember.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

jokershady said:

Going with family is the best part of it for me as well. Saw all 9 episodes with my dad and brother from 1977 when my Dad was 29, my brother was 6 and I was 3, through 2019 when my dad was 71, my brother was 48, I was 45, and my own daughter was 7.
I wish I had been able to complete that journey with my dad, but he was in the hospital at the time of The Last Jedi and passed in February 2018.
#FJB
YouBet
AG
C@LAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Grain of salt...

member when Doctor Who fans thought Russell T Davis coming back to Doctor Who was going to save it?

I remember.

Even if this were true, Lucas has said himself that his ideas for what he would do next would be hated re: The Whills.

And if it was anything like the recent iterations of Dr Who I don't think many people would sign on for that either.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

OnlyForNow said:

I don't remember when Premiere opened, but I feel like it was 07-08? I do know that Cinemark was $4 for most of the time I was a student, which was awesome.
Think it was my junior year, so 06-07 range. Cinemark before that was like $6-7 with no matinee at all. Not breaking the bank (certainly not by today's standards) but the price drop was still great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gimme the Whills over the somehow returning dead characters and the grown men being outrun by an 8 year old.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gimme the Whills over the somehow returning dead characters and the grown men being outrun by an 8 year old.

A grown Jedi being outrun by an 8 yr old.
maroon barchetta
Please be real.

redline248
AG
I would likely spend a lot of money on that
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1263 of 1268

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.