Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,607,301 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jokershady
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

So, according to Jeff (who, again, is as dependable as they come, and I can personally vouch for)...

Damon Lindelof's version of the "New Jedi Order" movie was set 60 YEARS after The Rise of Skywalker, with a different, older actor playing Rey, the comp for which they were using was Helen Mirren (before having offered her the role) - who, in the face of a new, emerging threat, would have begun training two younger Jedi.

Apparently the script wasn't great, though, and it was at that point that Kennedy decided to switch to actually using Daisy Ridley herself, thus dialing the time period back 50-ish years. Lindelof presumably didn't want to go that route - or wasn't even afforded the opportunity - and so Steven Knight was then hired to execute the new vision.

As much as I love Lindelof... maybe we dodged a bullet? Or does Ridley coming back still feel "too soon"?

Starting at the 11:57 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/live/oXY3MVwyu8c

I am in the camp that we dodged a bullet. As much as I dislike the execution of the sequel movies. There is at least an interesting idea that Rey is the balance of the force that Anakin was prophesied to bring.

In theory, she is the last child of the Sith Empire trained by the Last Jedi, Luke. The balance and final product of the two force factions at war for so long (Old Republic to Battle for Exegol)

So if she is the fulcrum to a new Star Wars story, then they should tell her story, not skip it.

Personally, I think Jedi/Sith are the most problematic part of Star Wars now. On a practical level, there is so much branding and marketing and awareness of these terms you can't get ride of them. On a story level they pigeonhole the story into good knights vs evil wizard emperors.

Something new should be done. I think a story about a galaxy hostile to Rey and her navigating a place for force users in a post-Jedi/Sith society that hates force users could be really interesting.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

TCTTS said:

So, according to Jeff (who, again, is as dependable as they come, and I can personally vouch for)...

Damon Lindelof's version of the "New Jedi Order" movie was set 60 YEARS after The Rise of Skywalker, with a different, older actor playing Rey, the comp for which they were using was Helen Mirren (before having offered her the role) - who, in the face of a new, emerging threat, would have begun training two younger Jedi.

Apparently the script wasn't great, though, and it was at that point that Kennedy decided to switch to actually using Daisy Ridley herself, thus dialing the time period back 50-ish years. Lindelof presumably didn't want to go that route - or wasn't even afforded the opportunity - and so Steven Knight was then hired to execute the new vision.

As much as I love Lindelof... maybe we dodged a bullet? Or does Ridley coming back still feel "too soon"?

Starting at the 11:57 mark...

https://www.youtube.com/live/oXY3MVwyu8c

I am in the camp that we dodged a bullet. As much as I dislike the execution of the sequel movies. There is at least an interesting idea that Rey is the balance of the force that Anakin was prophesied to bring.

In theory, she is the last child of the Sith Empire trained by the Last Jedi, Luke. The balance and final product of the two force factions at war for so long (Old Republic to Battle for Exegol)

So if she is the fulcrum to a new Star Wars story, then they should tell her story, not skip it.

Personally, I think Jedi/Sith are the most problematic part of Star Wars now. On a practical level, there is so much branding and marketing and awareness of these terms you can't get ride of them. On a story level they pigeonhole the story into good knights vs evil wizard emperors.

Something new should be done. I think a story about a galaxy hostile to Rey and her navigating a place for force users in a post-Jedi/Sith society that hates force users could be really interesting.

Yes! When you have bad guys with force powers, everybody is ok with using good guys with force powers to fight them. If there's only one group of people with force powers then that dynamic becomes very interesting and worthy of a new story. Even though it would probably take a very X-men vibe (mutants place in the world), it would be new ground in this universe to cover. You have factions who would want to kill the force users to truly bring balance to the force in their own way. You would have factions that would want to control them for their own gain or maybe help them for the greater good of the galaxy.

Dekker_Lentz
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

Snip

Well said! I agree some X-Men would be kind of neat and new.
YouBet
AG
Finally finishing up Boba Fett and the hijacking of that show with the last three episodes as really being The Mandalorian 2,5 is almost laughable.

Did they do that because they realized how ****ty Boba Fett was and simply decided to start Mandalorian S3 early to salvage it?

Knocking out the finale today.
ABATTBQ11
AG
No. They straight up said it was Mando 2.5 and a bridge between seasons before it even aired.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

I would absolutely not watch this. It may be SW, but another movie about muh oppression and _____ learning to accept _____ after they save the day is just completely unappealing. If you want to kill the franchise, that's putting a bullet in its head.
Quad Dog
AG
From a Star Wars entire history and arc it's time to kill of the Jedi/Sith distinction and move onto something new after the sequels. But from a marketing productive you also need those names.
AliasMan02
AG
My main pitch for the future of Star Wars is to avoid having a Galactic-spanning Empire, Republic, or anything. That has always been the setting for all eras of Star Wars, but it's what gets you into trouble with the repeated plot lines.

If we jump ahead 10 years, the Galactic Republic should exist, but should only be a chunk of the core, expansion region, and inner rim worlds, and a few others here and there. Let there be four or five legitimate political powers and lots of independent worlds.

How the Jedi fit into this climate would be a good foundation.
YouBet
AG
It seems like they are primed to bring in an outside threat to the known universe? Isn't that what they did in some of the EU books and isn't Thrawn from a race of being from that?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Thrawn is from the Chiss species, which come from the Unknown Regions, which is in the same galaxy.

I think what you're referring to is the Yuuzhan Vong, which invaded from a different galaxy.
YouBet
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

Thrawn is from the Chiss species, which come from the Unknown Regions, which is in the same galaxy.

I think what you're referring to is the Yuuzhan Vong, which invaded from a different galaxy.
I think this correct. Easy way to move on from the current story lines I would think.
AliasMan02
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

The YV were essentially replaced with the Grysks in the current canon.

I think when they're brave enough to attempt a CG Luke, or recast him (the correct course of action), we'll get a version of Mara Jade/Emperor's Hand set post-Jedi.
twilly
AG
While all this speculation is great, you've got to look at this with a Disney corporate mindset for the new trilogy. The main timeline movies will always have tie ins with the other divisions at Disney (parks, stores, cruises, etc.)

Battu will be one of the locations to tie in the theme parks.

The Millennium Falcon will be in it so they can expand Smugglers Run with the new footage.

Whoever the new enemy will be will use walkers so Rise of the Resistance gains new relevance.

Still lots of room to play with, but there will always be Disney corporate fingerprints placed within the story. Sad, but true.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG

Will lead to countless rebel deaths
The Porkchop Express
AG
Return of the Jedi chops up $4.694 million over the weekend in just 475 theaters.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I was surprised at the number of butts in the seats at the Friday noon showing here in Katy. Looked like a bunch of dads took their kids out of school for the experience of seeing one of the OT on the big screen.
PatAg
AG
There better be a 0% chance the Yuuzhan Vong will become canon/used in movies or shows. Its awful
TCTTS
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

No. They straight up said it was Mando 2.5 and a bridge between seasons before it even aired.

No, they didn't. There was a hunch that Mando *might* appear at some point during TBOBF, but neither Lucasfilm nor Disney said as much ahead of time, and it was surprising to just about everyone how and when he did finally show up. Going into the season, the feeling was that maybe Mando shows up late in the game to help Boba Fett out in some way, but no one had any idea there was going to be an entire storyline devoted to Mando and Mando alone, and that it would serve as a crucial, can't-miss bridge, never mind the Grogu (and Luke) of it all.
TCTTS
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

I would absolutely not watch this. It may be SW, but another movie about muh oppression and _____ learning to accept _____ after they save the day is just completely unappealing. If you want to kill the franchise, that's putting a bullet in its head.

What in the world are you going on about? Not only is the entire premise of Star Wars about a galaxy overcoming oppression, but the Jedi were basically treated as weirdos/"others"/non-existent throughout the entirety of the original trilogy.
The Collective
AG
PatAg said:

There better be a 0% chance the Yuuzhan Vong will become canon/used in movies or shows. Its awful

The Porkchop Express
AG
You bring in the Vong, you get Pellaon's greatest moment of all time!
Red Five
AG
TCTTS said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

What in the world are you going on about? Not only is the entire premise of Star Wars about a galaxy overcoming oppression, but the Jedi were basically treated as weirdos/"others"/non-existent throughout the entirety of the original trilogy.
There was no oppression of the Jedi in the OT because the Jedi didn't exist. They didn't have to overcome people's prejudice towards them and save a Galaxy that hated them. That is what the post you quoted was referring to.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, I completely understand that. My counter point to that was that the entire galaxy was being oppressed, so it's not like the theme of oppression - and thus people claiming they're being oppressed - is foreign to the franchise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well there was that one guy who tried to bully Vader at a staff meeting...
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

No, they didn't. There was a hunch that Mando *might* appear at some point during TBOBF, but neither Lucasfilm nor Disney said as much ahead of time, and it was surprising to just about everyone how and when he did finally show up. Going into the season, the feeling was that maybe Mando shows up late in the game to help Boba Fett out in some way, but no one had any idea there was going to be an entire storyline devoted to Mando and Mando alone, and that it would serve as a crucial, can't-miss bridge, never mind the Grogu (and Luke) of it all.
When The Book of Boba Fett was still in production, creator Jon Favreau jokingly dubbed the spinoff series "The Mandalorian season 2.5."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/02/review-the-book-of-boba-fett-is-lots-of-fun-but-its-really-the-mandalorian-2-5/

Why Book Of Boba Fett Is Actually The Mandalorian Season 2.5
https://screenrant.com/book-boba-fett-mandalorian-season-2-continued-reason/
This is from November 6, 2021 - 7 weeks before BOBF debuted.

Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett Teased as "The Mandalorian Season 2.5"
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-wars-book-of-boba-fett-the-mandalorian-release-date-spoilers/
This is from June 10, 2021, 6 months before BOBF debuted

Exclusive: Here's When 'The Mandalorian' Season 3 Is Filming; New Details on 'Book of Boba Fett' Connection
https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-season-3-the-book-of-boba-fett-production-filming/
"The Book of Boba Fett will be a more closely-linked spinoff as well and sources have told us to think of the series as "The Mandalorian Season 2.5," with characters from The Mandalorian slated to appear in the series that currently co-stars Ming-Na Wen as Fennec Shand."
That's June 9, 2021

TCTTS
AG
I don't know what's sadder… that news being so obscure that it could only be found in random articles (i.e. not officially announced/marketed as such), or you taking the time to research and post all of that just to call me out.

My larger point still remains… 99% of us had no idea because we don't read every last Star Wars article in circulation. Again, for the 400th time, when a number of legit fans in this very thread had no idea Mando and Grogu had even been reunited - and thus had no idea how essential TBOBF was - Lucasfilm failed to do their job. Like with so much else, Favreau & co did a sh*t job - in this case, of getting that message out to the masses.
redline248
AG
I remember it was discussed on this site as Mandalorian 2.5 when at least some of those articles came out.

But I'm not gonna dig up any of the posts to prove it

Let's try to refrain from calling people or things they do "sad." Just say "ok" and move on, or ignore it.

And I agree it was all poorly marketed
Sq1dvm
AG
Seeing ROTJ on the big screen for the first time since 83 was awesome! This time I didn't cover my eyes when the rancor came out.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't know what's sadder… that news being so obscure that it could only be found in random articles (i.e. not officially announced/marketed as such), or you taking the time to research and post all of that just to call me out.

My larger point still remains… 99% of us had no idea because we don't read every last Star Wars article in circulation. Again, for the 400th time, when a number of legit fans in this very thread had no idea Mando and Grogu had even been reunited - and thus had no idea how essential TBOBF was - Lucasfilm failed to do their job. Like with so much else, Favreau & co did a sh*t job - in this case, of getting that message out to the masses.
Collider and Screen Rant and Den of Geek don't feel like random articles, but I know you have lots more sources of information than I do because I don't use Twitter.

It's also here, on the very reputable starwarsnews.net
https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2021/06/boba-fett-wraps-obi-wan-kenobi-filming.html
'The Book of Boba Fett' is 'The Mandalorian' "Season 2.5"; Mando Season 3 to Start Filming Late 2021/Early 2022
That's on June 10, 2021.

Otherwise, it took me between 3-5 minutes to research and post those lengths. I look at Star Wars news every day and I remember those articles from the summer of 2021. You've said repeatedly for the last several months that nobody knew BOBF was going to include the Mandalorian. That's not the case. Clearly I'm not the only person who read those articles.

I agree that they should have advertised it better for connectivity to season 3 of Mando, but to say nobody knew about it just isn't true.

TCTTS
AG
I hear you, and there does look to be a decent amount I wasn't aware of. But I wasn't saying no one knew. Again, we all assumed there was going to be some kind connective tissue and that Mando would show up. I just remember most of us here thinking he'd show up toward the end/that his appearance wouldn't be super consequential to the events of his show. And that's basically what happened, we just weren't expecting him to get an entire episode to himself, along with all the Luke/Grogu stuff.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

What? My point is one of the interesting things about having Rey be a Palpatine is how would the galaxy respond to that knowledge. I don't think it is too much a logical leap that people may have negative opinions about a Palpatine trying to create a whole new power base of force users. Hero or not.

That being said I like AliasMan02 thoughts. Having multiple legitimate government powers in the galaxy and no singular one for Jedi to defend is an interesting way to continue the story.

The biggest complaint people had about Rey is she didn't really struggle to obtain her powers. I think telling a whole movie where she setups up a new Jedi school and everyone applauds it and welcomes the school with open arms because she killed her granddad would not be well received.

I just don't think Rey's story should be the old EU Luke's story.

Not everything is about the current culture war.
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Setting aside obvious politics overtones, I thought one of the things we don't like about recent Star Wars is the consistent recycling of storylines, plot points, etc. In that sense I agree with him; they have a completely fresh canvas to paint and hopefully they give us a new theme.
TCTTS
AG
Belton Ag said:

TCTTS said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Setting aside obvious politics overtones, I thought one of the things we don't like about recent Star Wars is the consistent recycling of storylines, plot points, etc. In that sense I agree with him; they have a completely fresh canvas to paint and hopefully they give us a new theme.

To me, this angle would feel new enough, though. I wouldn't mind most people in the galaxy basically being like, "Yeah, after nine movies worth of Force users screwing things up for the rest of, we're good. In fact, you can take the Force and shove it up your --"

Also, we know that Rey randomly starting a new Jedi Academy likely isn't what Lucasfilm is planning. It's not going to be some sociopolitical metaphor where being Force-sensitive is analogous to being gay or trans or whatever, and it becomes the few, prideful Force-users vs the "bigoted," broader galaxy.

Instead, in the Lindelof version, old Rey was resurrecting the Jedi in *response* to a new threat. So my guess is they're keeping that basic conceit, where an evil, Force-using threat shows themselves first. Then let's say Rey, in return, knows the only way to win is to fight fire with fire and so she starts training a new generation of Jedi. Only her doing so is met with resistance by the good guys, somewhat akin to concerns of escalation of nuclear war. In other words, you have the good guys saying, "We don't want to go down that road again. We know where it leads," only for Rey to be caught in the middle, trying to convince the good guys she can do it different this time, she's learned from the mistakes of those he came before her, etc.

This would also be the opposite of The Force Awakens, where Rey, Leia, and co were essentially *depending* on finding a magical wizard to help turn the tables and win the war. In contrast, however, here, maybe the powers-that-be are more secular, nuts-and-bolts, military industrial complex types, and it's Rey trying to convince them that they're going to need a little religion/magic on their side if they want to have any hope of winning this thing.
redline248
AG
Honestly, they should just have Finn as being fed up with Rey ignoring/being oblivious to his affection and he turns to the darkside. (I know that will never happen)
First Page Last Page
Page 1200 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.