Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,611,128 Views | 45382 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by YouBet
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't you already post this?
AliasMan02
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I gotta disagree. They tried to set themselves up for, "A Star Wars Story," sequels, and they've been basically abandoned because the sequels are so widely viewed as trash. The prequels weren't great, but they had solid plot and storylines from which to draw The sequels were a ****ing mess.

The Lindelof movie looks like it will be sequel era. None of the other "Star Wars Story" movies were announced and are seemingly cancelled were sequel era. The Johnson trilogy was supposed to be something totally different. I don't think we ever heard anything concrete about the D&D movies other than speculation they would be Old Republic... I may be remembering that part wrong. Rogue Squadron would presumably be Rebellion era.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

Didn't you already post this?

Which he clearly didn't read, hence why I said "again."
Saxsoon
AG
Not a Bot said:

Rumors that Kennedy is on the way out, Favreau dropped Kylo Ren's helmet from the opening sequence to Mandalorian. Possible plan to "forget" the 7,8,9 trilogy and reboot.

You follow someone named doomcock , seems legit
Flashdiaz
AG
TCTTS said:

Good point. Not to mention, The Mandalorian is clearly building toward establishing the First Order + some kind of eventual Snoke connection/reveal with the cloning subplot.
Serkis would love to reprise his role as Snoke:
"Let me just phrase it like this. When I went in to read The Last Jedi, the first 30 pages thinking, 'This is the most incredible character.' Then I turned the page: 'And then Snoke gets sliced in half.' And I was gutted. Gutted. I actually really love that character. And I'm putting it out there: I wouldn't mind if he came back."

I think a clone army of force sensitives is much more interesting and deadly than what we got in Rise of Skywalker which basically stole the story line of 'Real Genius' plot of making the deadly laser mobile enough to fit on a ship.
Red Five
AG
redline248 said:

They basically have to invent a new evil since ALL THE SITH are now destroyed
They didn't have to invent anything. The EU spent decades creating a coherent post-Rebellion galaxy with scores of new threats to galactic peace. They even had multi-work series featuring *gasp* non-Jedi. Lucasfilm just refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of any of it.
maroon barchetta
Flashdiaz said:

TCTTS said:

Good point. Not to mention, The Mandalorian is clearly building toward establishing the First Order + some kind of eventual Snoke connection/reveal with the cloning subplot.
Serkis would love to reprise his role as Snoke:
"Let me just phrase it like this. When I went in to read The Last Jedi, the first 30 pages thinking, 'This is the most incredible character.' Then I turned the page: 'And then Snoke gets sliced in half.' And I was gutted. Gutted. I actually really love that character. And I'm putting it out there: I wouldn't mind if he came back."

I think a clone army of force sensitives is much more interesting and deadly than what we got in Rise of Skywalker which basically stole the story line of 'Real Genius' plot of making the deadly laser mobile enough to fit on a ship.

They need to find a planet with a mountain-sized Jiffy Pop to hit with that deadly laser.

Also, the bad guy has to have a hot daughter that our main protagonist can woo
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

redline248 said:

They didn't have to invent anything. The EU spent decades creating a coherent post-Rebellion galaxy with scores of new threats to galactic peace. They even had multi-work series featuring *gasp* non-Jedi. Lucasfilm just refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of any of it.

Yuhzn Vong time!
Life is better with a beagle
Red Five
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Red Five said:

redline248 said:

Yuhzn Vong time!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

Red Five said:

redline248 said:

Yuhzn Vong time!

Salavatore had the guts to really kill Chewie.
redline248
AG

Red Five said:

Red Five said:

redline248 said:

Yuhzn Vong time!

Salavatore had the guts to really kill Chewie.
Wasn't that more widely hated than Luke dying in TLJ?
Red Five
AG
He absolutely got hate mail and death threats over that.
The Collective
AG
Red Five said:

redline248 said:

A lot of the EU sucked. But, I guess we still ended up in the same spot.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mark Hamill as LUke on the book commercial for Vector Prime in 1999.

ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

The next theatrical movie, from Damon Lindelof, which will likely be announced at Celebration next month, will take place after the sequel trilogy and is rumored to be using one to a few characters from the sequel trilogy. Combine that with the fact that, again, The Mandalorian is setting up the First Order, and potentially even Snoke, Lucasfilm isn't "abandoning" the sequel trilogy at all. That, and it's only been a little over three years since it ended. They will absolutely capitalize and build upon what little fans liked/what they can squeeze from the sequel trilogy, wherever they can.

I didn't mean to imply they were abandoning the sequels, but they certainly abandoned a lot of the long term plans they had involving the material. The, "A Star Wars Story," lineup was not supposed to end with Solo after only two movies. They were looking to set up a Marvel like franchise with plenty of other movies fleshing out the Star Wars universe with probably a 12 month release cadence. That's why Solo and RoS ended the way they did. With the reception of those two, though, Disney decided to take a break.

The Mandalorian was a testing of the waters for new SW material. It's success brought a lot of focus on D+ content development, and, IMO, brand rebuilding. Yes, it's building towards the sequels, but that's because there's nowhere else to go. The show itself is heavily predicated on the OT, Rebels, and Clone Wars. So is everything else they've done on D+. Ahsoka, Kenobi, Bad Batch, and Andor are all based on that material. Lindelof's project will likely be the first thing that is sourced directly from the sequels instead of to the sequels.

What he's working on is probably going to be some kind of soft reboot. For now it's supposedly a standalone movie, and I think it's more about testing the waters than moving on with the sequels as the next big source of material. We'll see how it pans out, but it'll likely be 2025 before it's released. Like I said, I don't think Disney planned on just a sequel trilogy and a couple of standalone films. They wanted to replicate the Marvel cash cow (why they paid billions for Lucasfilm and the SW franchise), and I don't think a 6 year hiatus between major films was ever the plan. They scrapped what they originally set out to do and were in damage control until Baby Yoda saved the franchise.

That said, Lindelof's movie will be in uncharted territory for SW. The sequels were ultimately wildly divisive amongst the fan base, with a lot of people loathing them but seeing them in theaters anyway because it's SW and they gave them a chance. That made them financially successful. The problem now is the movie will end up on D+ within months. There's no reason to see it in theaters if you're skeptical or it's bad. Another issue is the characters. Personally, I just don't care about any of them because they all seemed bland and never really went anywhere. Are audiences going to care about them enough to want to go to a theater? TFA had the OG characters and nostalgia to bring people out, but Poe and Rose (let's face it, John Boyega probably isn't coming back) likely aren't moving any needles. I don't know who you'd base a new movie around if not them, and I have to wonder how this movie is going to get butts in seats. If it isn't successful, can we really expect a lot of content forced from the sequels, or will we see Disney going back to the tried and true stories and content from the OT and PT?
ABATTBQ11
AG
AliasMan02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I gotta disagree. They tried to set themselves up for, "A Star Wars Story," sequels, and they've been basically abandoned because the sequels are so widely viewed as trash. The prequels weren't great, but they had solid plot and storylines from which to draw The sequels were a ****ing mess.

The Lindelof movie looks like it will be sequel era. None of the other "Star Wars Story" movies were announced and are seemingly cancelled were sequel era. The Johnson trilogy was supposed to be something totally different. I don't think we ever heard anything concrete about the D&D movies other than speculation they would be Old Republic... I may be remembering that part wrong. Rogue Squadron would presumably be Rebellion era.

They were definitely planning something more with the sequels. That was the whole point of Lando and what's her name going off together and Poe's long lost girlfriend showing up again. Those were setups for future story arcs.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

The next theatrical movie, from Damon Lindelof, which will likely be announced at Celebration next month, will take place after the sequel trilogy and is rumored to be using one to a few characters from the sequel trilogy. Combine that with the fact that, again, The Mandalorian is setting up the First Order, and potentially even Snoke, Lucasfilm isn't "abandoning" the sequel trilogy at all. That, and it's only been a little over three years since it ended. They will absolutely capitalize and build upon what little fans liked/what they can squeeze from the sequel trilogy, wherever they can.

I still hope (in vain) that the Mandalorian is essentially the "reboot" that builds an arc playing out in parallel to or with a loose backdrop of the ST.

Retconning is a pathway to many possibilities, some considered to be superior than the original.
redline248
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AliasMan02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

They were definitely planning something more with the sequels. That was the whole point of Lando and what's her name going off together and Poe's long lost girlfriend showing up again. Those were setups for future story arcs.
Oh, well I'm definitely going to miss those stories
Red Five
AG
The Collective said:

Red Five said:

redline248 said:

A lot of the EU sucked. But, I guess we still ended up in the same spot.
We'll just have to agree that you are wrong.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Technically, there can always be more Sith/Dark Jedis. The force being out of balance is what causes there to be Jedi and Dark Jedi/Sith.

If they start with Rey building a Force School who teachings are basically those of the Gray Jedi would be interesting.

Then you could have two different sets of antagonists, Light Side users and Dark Side users vs Gray Jedi. What does "balance" in the force actually mean.

Personally, I would like more Andor style content focused less on the Force.

AliasMan02
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AliasMan02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

The "Star Wars Story" thing was largely abandoned long before TROS. You're giving JJ too much credit to believe he had any sort of plan behind those things you mention. They were concepts he cut or abandoned during production, but left parts of it in. Like Finn being Force sensitive... it was just sort of halfway in the movie.
The Collective
AG
AliasMan02 said:

You're giving JJ too much credit to believe he had any sort of plan behind those things you mention.

TCTTS
AG
You're leaving out some key facts here. The primary "A Star Wars Story" movies planned post-Solo were a Boba-Fett-centered movie and an Obi-Wan-centered movie, both of which became series instead. Basically, two things happened in 2018/2019 that changed everything - Solo failed at the box office, while The Mandolorian saw massive success on Disney+. Given those two factors, and the fact that they couldn't crack Boba Fett's and Obi-Wan's stories as movies, they redeveloped each as Disney+ series. That, and then the pandemic in 2020 was a huge reason to shift to series/productions that could essentially be shot in a controlled environment on sound stages in Manhattan Beach, as opposed to traveling to exotic locations for movies (Andor being the exception). The point is, none of those decisions had much, if anything at all, to do with the reception itself to The Last Jedi/The Rise of Skywalker. Yes, there was some vague Poe/Finn Disney+ series that was rumored at one point, and then there was the failed Rogue Squadron movie as well, but that was about it (the latter of which would have been out by now, but it sounds like Patty Jenkins couldn't crack it/the script was never up to snuff). Sure, the reception to the sequel trilogy certainly didn't help any of this, but the reason there hasn't been a new movie since 2019 has way more to do with the failure of Solo, the success of Disney+, and the pandemic than anything else. Now they're simply taking their time to get the first post-TROS movie right, which I'm thankful for.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I heard Poe was originally supposed to die at the start of TFA, but JJ liked Oscar Isaac's performance and Isaac wanted to stick around so they had him survive.

That's why Poe is so superfluous to the rest of the story in TFA. (Seriously, you can erase him from the rest of the script and not feel you're missing anything).
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

AliasMan02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

The "Star Wars Story" thing was largely abandoned long before TROS. You're giving JJ too much credit to believe he had any sort of plan behind those things you mention. They were concepts he cut or abandoned during production, but left parts of it in. Like Finn being Force sensitive... it was just sort of halfway in the movie.

Beat me to it, but exactly. Literally the only rumored sequel-trilogy-related project I remember anyone mentioning at any point was a Poe/Finn Disney+ series, and it sounds like that was the only real casualty of the TROS reception, if that series was ever a real thing in the first place. I never heard a single peep about any Lando/Jannah project, as someone alluded to above, or anything else. That, and it sounds like there will eventually be something - be it a movie or series - where Rey eventually returns, so that character isn't out of the picture yet either.
The Collective
AG
There was a Lando series announced for Disney +, but I think that was several years ago... and it is young Lando (Donald Glover). No idea if it will ever come to pass.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, there was the Lando series, which might still be in development, though I imagine Donald Glover's crazy schedule has more to do with that not being made yet than anything else. Then there was the Gina Carano series as well, but that got nixed when she went on whatever political rant that was, comparing someone to Nazis or something.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Uh they took out a dreadnought.
AliasMan02
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

I heard Poe was originally supposed to die at the start of TFA, but JJ liked Oscar Isaac's performance and Isaac wanted to stick around so they had him survive.

That's why Poe is so superfluous to the rest of the story in TFA. (Seriously, you can erase him from the rest of the script and not feel you're missing anything).

True. OI actually asked if he could live because he was on a run of playing dead characters and JJ said okay.
cbr
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

True. OI actually asked if he could live because he was on a run of playing dead characters and JJ said okay.
i mean, these fricking movies...

isaac - great actor - whose entire character arc was just a spitoon for some blue haired freak and mary poppins.

Max von freaking sydow - incredible! the super mysterious charismatic leader who sets the show in motion and....then.....nothing

Ridley - fairly well cast, but the character goes absolutely nowhere... its just another luke story only this time a girl with no meaning at all

then you take hammil, ford, and fisher .... and ... you... do WHAT THE ****!?

i mean, they really made ANOTHER death planet, and ANOTHER first order and another fighter attack and called that a movie?

and somehow things got WORSE from there!?

anyway, rant over. at least there has been some really good SW other than the sequels.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Max von freaking sydow - incredible! the super mysterious charismatic leader who sets the show in motion and....then.....nothing
Well, he died and wasn't a Jedi...so
cbr
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Well, he died and wasn't a Jedi...so
i guess so, but we never got any back story, he was just a face on screen for a minute.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Didn't he blow up Starkiller base?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well this is shocking, I thought you loved the sequels.
redline248
AG

Aggie_Journalist said:

Didn't he blow up Starkiller base?
no, I think it's still there
First Page Last Page
Page 1179 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.