Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,640,380 Views | 45410 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady said:

Alrighty…..we started planning for Disney next year…..I've only been once and that was in 2017 so Batu didn't exist.

We want to spend 2 days at Hollywood Studios and I'm super paranoid about making sure we get multiple runs on the Falcon and also the Rise of the Resistance ride (experience? From what I've read even people who've done this don't know how to describe it).

So what's the best strategy to make sure we get reservations for those rides? And the wife and I are definitely making sabers and the boys are making droids
Unless things have changed since Nov 2019, they don't do reservations for Smuggler's Run. They do them for Rise of the Resistance, but I was last at WDW 2 literal weeks before that ride opened, so all I know is what I've read online. Some of the things I recall reading is to start trying for reservations as early as possible, and I think don't use the park's WIFI while on the Disney app to get them.

Regarding Smuggler's Run, we arrived at the park about an hour before the park opened. We stood among a huge group of people waiting for rope drop. Then they started to play a piece of music that sounded a lot like the Imperial March (but was most decidedly not the Imperial March), the rope dropped, and everyone went off to the left in one huge mass of people, all to the cadence of that music. Waited in a long line, finally went aboard the Falcon, where I got to touch those padded walls as a kind of bucket list experience, and they broke everyone off into queues for the individual "cockpits". It was at that point that my wife ruined my day. I say ruined, I was ticked off but had a great day other than the refs stealing a game away from the Ags against UGA. We were at the head of the line, meaning when they started filling the cockpit queues with the next round of riders, we were going to be in the first 2 positions. Meaning we would be the pilots, which was exactly what I wanted. But then a Cast Member announced that they actually had 2 openings at the end of a queue, and my wife just blurted out, "We'll take it!" So we were relegated to the engineer seats at the back. I still remind my wife of that, and that we'll be returning to Disney and spending all that money just so I can pilot the Falcon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Belton Ag said:

Vince Blake said:

The Rise of the Resistance ride is the most awesome amusement park experience I have ever had. The scale of it is just mind blowing. We paid whatever it was to reserve a spot. I think it was $15 a person and totally worth it.
This. It's so hard to describe the ride, but it's guaranteed that you'll never experience anything like it anywhere.

I heard that Avatar flight of the whatever ride is incredible. Better than that one?

Personally I have Flight of Passage just ahead, but they're easily the best two theme park rides I've ever been on.
OnlyForNow
AG
My 6 year old wanted to ride Flight of Passage and only that during our day at AK.

I admit, it was a GREAT ride. The que wasn't that bad, and it's more enjoyable that quite a few of the older type rides at MK.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

Alrighty…..we started planning for Disney next year…..I've only been once and that was in 2017 so Batu didn't exist.

We want to spend 2 days at Hollywood Studios and I'm super paranoid about making sure we get multiple runs on the Falcon and also the Rise of the Resistance ride (experience? From what I've read even people who've done this don't know how to describe it).

So what's the best strategy to make sure we get reservations for those rides? And the wife and I are definitely making sabers and the boys are making droids

Rise of the Resistance Guide for getting a reservation.

https://blogmickey.com/2022/04/how-to-ride-rise-of-the-resistance-2022/

This works great. We're Disney-holics and have been to Galaxy's Edge right after it opened in Anaheim in 2019 and to Galaxy's Edge in Orlando in 2020, twice in 2021 and also this past April.

If you haven't already watched YouTubes of the ride, avoid them at all costs. Going in with no idea of what's going to happen, which we managed to do, was incredible. This will be 10-15 minutes of your life where you will believe 100% that you are in the movies.

Non-spoiler tips for RotR

• When you get on the transport shuttle, go straight to the back so you can look out the back viewport, you see a ton of stuff nobody else will see as they crowd about the front to be closer to the pilot.
  • Make sure you look at lots of video screens on the transport, you'll see different characters doing different stuff.
  • Look EVERYWHERE on the ride when you get in the car and the ride properly begins. The little details are beyond belief.
  • Engage with the First Order officers while waiting for the proper ride to start. They are awesome at their job and know a ton about Star Wars to make you believe you are in the experience.

Tips for Smuggler's Run

• Drag your feet or suddenly remember you have to tie your shoe or do any distraction you can when you get into the main hold of the Falcon, because it's all there - the seats, the holo-game table, the hyperdrive, painstaking detail, and they want to whisk you through it, but slow yourself down and get a selfie or 50.
  • You're probably thinking you are going to be a nice guy and let your kids fly the Falcon. DO NOT DO THAT! Either put them both on the guns (row 2), or pick your favorite kid and put them in the LEFT HAND pilot seat. You MUST have the right-hand pilot seat, because that is the person who gets to throw the lever to jump to hyperspace. And if you're a big Star Wars fan, sending the Falcon into hyperspace has to be on your bucket list, and it is every bit as awesome as it looks in the movies. I'm sure your kids are great at video games and would do a good job, but they can wait their damn turn.
  • There's also a single-rider line that you have to be careful of full of nerds that are basically who I would be if I hadn't gotten married - not that I'm not a huge nerd, but at least I can drag a family around pretending it's for the kids at Galaxy's Edge. If one of these single-rider nerds tries to cut in front of your family and get the coveted pilot chair, sick your wife on him. I would say him or her, but you know it's going to be a guy. Let your wife tear into them about how this is for the kids and they can wait their damn turn if it's so important to them. If they get past anyway and get the pilot chair, pick your worst pilot - the youngest child or your wife - and let them in the other pilot chair, beacuse the single-rider nerd will hate it. It will ruin their score, and then they'll either have to sit there and stew about it or mouth off and then you can light them up like a Christmas tree for insulting your family. Our first time at Anaheim a guy snuck ahead of us since we had no idea what to do, so I paired my then 7-year-old daughter with him in the other pilot seat. The looks on his face were worth not getting to fly it.

Life is better with a beagle
kdm_01
AG
We visited Orlando in late January with two days at Hollywood Studios.
To maximize your Smugglers Run and Rise of the Resistance arrive early. We stayed at Disney properties so were able to take advantage of Early Entry. (Different parks opened differing amounts of early so it's hard to be exact here.). Need to plan to be at the Hollywood Studios gates at least 1 hour prior to official early entry opening - this is earlier than their "stated early entry" time. Our first day we were 30min prior and rides were already going. 2nd day did better and got in and had ridden Rise before official early entry had even begun. Could have gotten back in line for a shortish 30min Rise wait but opted for two quick Falcon rides.
Things are always changing but Falcon was part of Genie Plus (definitely would purchase Genie Plus for everyone at each park except Animal Kingdom (felt we didn't get $$'s worth there for Plus).
Don't wait in line for Star Tours - we love the ride but there were multiple times of day where there was no line.
You could rope drop Rise, and also buy a Fast Pass for it later in the day if you want multiple minimum wait rides/day.

Regarding Avatar ride - that was epic. It's different than Rise - flight simulator and CGI vs 'I'm in an actual Star Wars adventure!' But both were 100% first rate.

Early Entry varies park-to-park and can be frustrating due to that but it's a great way to boost the amount of top tier rides you can do.
jokershady
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

jokershady said:

This works great. We're Disney-holics and have been to Galaxy's Edge right after it opened in Anaheim in 2019 and to Galaxy's Edge in Orlando in 2020, twice in 2021 and also this past April.

If you haven't already watched YouTubes of the ride, avoid them at all costs. Going in with no idea of what's going to happen, which we managed to do, was incredible. This will be 10-15 minutes of your life where you will believe 100% that you are in the movies.

Non-spoiler tips for RotR

• When you get on the transport shuttle, go straight to the back so you can look out the back viewport, you see a ton of stuff nobody else will see as they crowd about the front to be closer to the pilot.
  • Make sure you look at lots of video screens on the transport, you'll see different characters doing different stuff.
  • Look EVERYWHERE on the ride when you get in the car and the ride properly begins. The little details are beyond belief.
  • Engage with the First Order officers while waiting for the proper ride to start. They are awesome at their job and know a ton about Star Wars to make you believe you are in the experience.

Tips for Smuggler's Run

• Drag your feet or suddenly remember you have to tie your shoe or do any distraction you can when you get into the main hold of the Falcon, because it's all there - the seats, the holo-game table, the hyperdrive, painstaking detail, and they want to whisk you through it, but slow yourself down and get a selfie or 50.
  • You're probably thinking you are going to be a nice guy and let your kids fly the Falcon. DO NOT DO THAT! Either put them both on the guns (row 2), or pick your favorite kid and put them in the LEFT HAND pilot seat. You MUST have the right-hand pilot seat, because that is the person who gets to throw the lever to jump to hyperspace. And if you're a big Star Wars fan, sending the Falcon into hyperspace has to be on your bucket list, and it is every bit as awesome as it looks in the movies. I'm sure your kids are great at video games and would do a good job, but they can wait their damn turn.
  • There's also a single-rider line that you have to be careful of full of nerds that are basically who I would be if I hadn't gotten married - not that I'm not a huge nerd, but at least I can drag a family around pretending it's for the kids at Galaxy's Edge. If one of these single-rider nerds tries to cut in front of your family and get the coveted pilot chair, sick your wife on him. I would say him or her, but you know it's going to be a guy. Let your wife tear into them about how this is for the kids and they can wait their damn turn if it's so important to them. If they get past anyway and get the pilot chair, pick your worst pilot - the youngest child or your wife - and let them in the other pilot chair, beacuse the single-rider nerd will hate it. It will ruin their score, and then they'll either have to sit there and stew about it or mouth off and then you can light them up like a Christmas tree for insulting your family. Our first time at Anaheim a guy snuck ahead of us since we had no idea what to do, so I paired my then 7-year-old daughter with him in the other pilot seat. The looks on his face were worth not getting to fly it.

i read this out loud to my wife just now over the phone and straight up lol'd over this. really looking forward to it and thank you!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm sure you know this too but Guardians of the Galaxy just opened in EPCOT and it looks super cool. Haven't been on that yet.

And some other newer rides are Ratatouille in EPCOT and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in Hollywood Studios, both of which are pretty darn cool. I really like the trackless rides.
bluefire579
AG
Is it different from the Tower of Terror Guardians rework at California Adventure?
kdm_01
AG
Yep - Epcots new Guardians ride is a new build. Similar in technology to the trackless coaster they've used for Rise, Frozen, Ratatoullie etc.
Supposedly six different sound tracks and ride versions.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This. It's basically a cooler, more modern Space Mountain with a cool 80's soundtrack.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Can't wait to do the new Guardians coaster, we are going back in November. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is probably the most underrated ride at Disney right now. You'll have a blast. And make sure you get on Slinky Dog at night if possible, it's amazing when it's lit up.
redline248
AG
There is also a cool ride in Toy Story land where you get to shoot virtual ping pong balls at targets and build a high score. I forgot what it's called
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Midway Mania. One of the most technologically advanced rides in all the parks, super fun.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
jokershady said:

helloimustbegoing said:

i read this out loud to my wife just now over the phone and straight up lol'd over this. really looking forward to it and thank you!
Additional Tips
  • RotR
    • There is one big inside hall that is amazing. Pause, look around, take a selfie with the background. There should not be any rush in this section since you are just going to leave it to get into another short line to enter the next section of the ride.
    • The reservation systems evolves so keep checking on updates up until your trip. It's worth whatever it takes. My son and I rode it 3 times right after it opened, but it was easy if you got up and to the park at 5AM, ugh. It's not that easy anymore.
  • Galaxy's Edge - Download the Disney Play app on all phones. There is a separate datapad for Galaxy's Edge. It lets you scan codes on boxes, play games that interact with the environment (really cool) and let you do puzzles. Great for standing in line in Smuggler's Run and Rise since there are storage boxes with codes in the queue. Also good just to stroll around the area.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm sure you know this too but Guardians of the Galaxy just opened in EPCOT and it looks super cool. Haven't been on that yet.

And some other newer rides are Ratatouille in EPCOT and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway in Hollywood Studios, both of which are pretty darn cool. I really like the trackless rides.
Yes we definitely want to do the GotG ride. We've heard the Disney staff actually have barf bags ready for that one cause it's super intense.....we're still going to go on it but I'm planning on having something to assist with motion sickness stuff
heddleston
AG
Did EPCOT on monday. Guardians is pretty phenomenal. Definitely like a newer better Space Mountain on steroids. Ratatouille was great, that was our kids' first ride and it set the tone for the day for them.

Going to Hollywood tomorrow, probably not going to make rope drop but we're gonna see what we can get done.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Last I was there, they were starting work on a new TRON coaster next to Space Mountain. Is that still under construction, getting near to completion, or what?
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Last I was there, they were starting work on a new TRON coaster next to Space Mountain. Is that still under construction, getting near to completion, or what?

It's just you racing light cycles against two other people and some tanks and Recognizers.
TCTTS
AG
Seeing 18 new posts and excitedly thinking news broke or a trailer just dropped, only to discover grownups talking about theme park rides, might actually be more disappointing than discovering it's all just a ridiculous political argument.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Seeing 18 new posts and excitedly thinking news broke or a trailer just dropped, only to discover grownups talking about theme park rides, might actually be more disappointing than discovering it's all just a ridiculous political argument.

I'm sure one of them will invite you along.
redline248
AG
No one wants to ride a star wars ride with that Debbie downer
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This again? We got it the first time.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

maroon barchetta
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Still under construction but from what I've seen, progress has sped way up this summer. Should open in 2023.
PatAg
AG
preach
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Perfect
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Rare image of TC's mom pregnant with him at Disney World.

Decay
AG
How about the blue and green milk?

I thought the blue was better. Plus you can add rum.
maroon barchetta
helloimustbegoing said:

TCTTS said:

Rare image of TC's mom pregnant with him at Disney World.

TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
Decay said:

How about the blue and green milk?

I thought the blue was better. Plus you can add rum.
Blue.
Green tastes like a Bath and Body Works store smells.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Perfect
everytime I see this gif I laugh my balls off but dangit I want some context here….how the hell does this happen????
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, we were a Six Flags family. (The rides there were so much better than what I experienced at Disneyland too.)

Just start a theme park thread. This stuff is about as relevant to the the movies/shows/books as my last dentist appointment.
bluefire579
AG
Well, did you have any cavities?
Decay
AG
TCTTS said:

Sorry, we were a Six Flags family. (The rides there were so much better than what I experienced at Disneyland too.)

Just start a theme park thread. This stuff is about as relevant to the the movies/shows/books as my last dentist appointment.

It's Star Wars entertainment... It will die down in short order unless you keep whining and then we'll start comparing droid workshops and ronto wraps
First Page Last Page
Page 1131 of 1298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.