so i just saw the hobbit (SPOILERS)

4,906 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by amercer
jpb1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read here that there is a 48 fps and a 24 fps version... is that the difference between the 3D and the 2D?

OR is that the difference between the RealD 3D and the regular 3D versions?
sharkenleo
48fps is separate from 3D. The only thing is, 48fps is only available in 3D.

RealD 3D is just the brand name of the 3D. They also have 3D in 24 fps.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 12/27/2012 1:50p).]
jpb1999
AG
That is what is confusing.

In theaters near me, I see some that have it in 2D, some in 3D, and some in RealD 3D...

I want to see it in 48 fps.

Which one of those options gets me the 48 fps?

Oh yeah, I read about the 3D and RealD 3D. They are different technologies, but about the same picture. One is just marketed better. Nothing mentioned 24 or 48 fps....?!?

[This message has been edited by jpb1999 (edited 12/27/2012 2:51p).]
jpb1999
AG
Figured it out... I didn't realize that the showings actually state HFR for the 48 version. I just wasn't looking at any of them that showed it in 48.

Finally found one, but wasn't showing at a time that worked for me.

I have read some bad reviews of it, but I think I would like it, and definitely want to check it out.

Hobo Zombie
AG
Watched The Hobbit with some friends on Sunday. I thought it was really good, much better than the LotR trilogy, but then again, I hated the LotR trilogy.
amercer
AG
Late to the nerd party, but I do love some Tolkien.

Not much to add, but it's never actually confirmed that the wizards are Maia is it? I agree that is what they probably are, but I'm not sure Tolkien ever spelled it out. It's possible that they were of a different order not named in the text.
jlb2957
AG
amercer:

Here is a quote I found in a discussion about this topic in another forum. I don't have Unfinished Tales in front of me so I cannot guarantee it's accuracy, but I don't know why someone would post this if it were not a direct quote:

quote:
Unfinished Tales: the Istari
We must assume that they [the Istari] were all Maiar, that is persons of the "angelic" order, though not necessarily of the same rank. The Maiar were "spirits," but capable of self-incarnation, and could take "humane" (especially Elvish) forms. Saruman is said (e.g. by Gandalf himself) to have been the chief of the Istari – that is, higher in Valinórean stature than the others. Gandalf is evidently the next in the order. Radagast is presented as a person of much less power and wisdom. Of the other two nothing is said in published work save the reference to the Five Wizards in the altercation between Gandalf and Saruman [The Two Towers III 10]. Now these Maiar were sent by the Valar at a crucial moment in the history of Middle-earth to enhance the resistance of the Elves of the West, greatly outnumbered by those of the East and South. It may be seen that they were free each to do what they could in this mission; that they were not commanded or supposed to act together as a small central body of power and wisdom; and that each had different powers and inclinations and were chosen by the Valar with this in mind.
OnlyForNow
AG
Only problem I have with that quoted text is that in all of the LOTR books and all movies from P.J.
, is that Galadriel is presented as the most powerful of the group.

Maybe I am mis-interpreting this, but I summarized (mostly from the LOTR books) that she is on a whole other level than Gandalf, even when he returns.
sharkenleo
There's a line Tolkien wrote that says Galadriel "threw down" Dol Guldur in a matter of seconds.

Think of the possibilities with PJ's imagination. ****'s gonna be insane.
amercer
AG
The relitive power of beings in the Tolkien universe is much more tied to thier lineage than to what sort of creatures they are. Galadriel is descended from Elves that were near gods themselves.

I looked up that bit in the unfinished tales, and it's just not specific. It says "others of thier order" . It doesn't really matter as Maia can refer to all the lower orders of immortals, but it's interesting when deciding if Gandalf was really on Saurons level or not. As for the Nazgul, men are sort of a wild card in the Tolkien universe. Some can contend with Gods and others not so much. Even as Gandalf the white though, I think he understood that his role was not to overpower the enemies of good, but to persuade the people's of middle earth to band together to overcome evil.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.