Tron Legacy

10,753 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TCTTS
tejas87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really want to see this, but I haven't seen the original. For some reason Netflix doesn't have it. Do I have to see the original in order to follow this one?
NoACDamnit
GO WATCH IT NOW. And Netflix most definitely does have the original.
Fenrir
quote:
And Netflix most definitely does have the original.

Nope
StickyNote
Tron DVD is out of print and going for $50 to $100 on EBAY. Rumor is Disney pulled the DVD to re-release when Legacy hits DVD.
Gradin
AG
I am really pumped for this movie. not sure why. I think it just looks awesome.

Now the first Tron is not good IMO. It was sorta entertaining, and the graphics were good for back then. I actually watched it with some friends for the first time a few weeks ago. It cleared up a few things for me before I see this new movie, but I would say for the most part, you really don't need to have seen the first one.

[This message has been edited by Gradin (edited 12/13/2010 10:41a).]
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Already have 4 tickets for the IMAX 3D at 12:04 Thursday!!!! Can't wait.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
Now the first Tron is not good. I actually watched it with some friends for the first time a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately for you movies have come along way since Tron first came out. But this movie IS good. In fact it was GREAT when it first came out. But I can see how people who have been subjected to the new technology and newer types of action movies would feel this way if they've only seen it a few weeks ago. But there's a whole generation who think this movie was beyond it's time. Much like the The Last Starfighter.

[This message has been edited by AGSPORTSFAN07 (edited 12/13/2010 10:45a).]
sharkenleo
the torrent is widely available on all torrent sites. just watched it last night.
mazag08
AG
This is a remake right? Not another chapter..?
aTmAg
AG
Looks sorta chaptery if you ask me.
Gradin
AG
It is a sequel I am pretty sure.

quote:
But there's a whole generation who think this movie was beyond it's time. Much like the The Last Starfighter.

I actually enjoyed Last Starfighter.

[This message has been edited by Gradin (edited 12/13/2010 3:51p).]
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
There's a movie I would love to see a sequel to.
Furlock Bones
AG
tron was on netflix. i rented it 2009 when i first heard that tron legacy was coming out.
bluefire579
AG
It is most definitely a sequel

And i got Tron on Netflix only a few months ago, guess they pulled it
sharkenleo
I really hope the movie doesn't bomb. Tron's been hyped for over a year, and Disney really put together a terrific ad campaign. But like someone else said, most people have never seen Tron and might not be interested in a sequel to a movie they've never seen. Not to mention it opens against Yogi Bear. Lost of kids will be wanting to see that one.

I don't expect a huge opening weekend, maybe $50 million due to 3D. Here's hoping it at least breaks even with $200 million. As for worldwide, I doubt the rest of the world has even heard of the original. Maybe the global appeal of Daft Punk will help it sell a bit in Europe.
Caliber
AG
You can catch Tron on youtube

Here is part 1 of 8 to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbOLqgEptS0
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
This is a remake right? Not another chapter..?

This takes place 28 years later. Main character is Flynn's 30 year old son.
NoACDamnit
That would make sense if disney pulled it.

As for the movie not holding up I couldn't disagree more. The cycle scene is still just amazing.
Sully
AG
Ahhhh TRON...still gets me excited to this day. I can remember watching the Light Cycles and Recognizers and just being blown away as an impressionable teenager. The futuristic feel, the vision, the music...

Du du du du da dah, dah duh dah DEEEEEHHHH!

And now TRON Legacy...with Daft Punk, too? Oh yes, I am as giddy as a little school girl.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The first TRON still holds up incredibly well. The visuals (especially on it's recent showings on HDNet) are amazing.

I'm pretty sure box office expectations will be very high this weekend. Hell, with so much buzz, I'm thinking $75+ million for the weekend. That number will drop next week after the hardcore fans see it, but positive word-of-mouth may help bring the non-fans in after the heavy crowds die down.
Philip J Fry
AG
How long ago was it on HDnet? I've been checking my guide every few days and haven't seen it listed at all. I thought for sure it would be all over TV before it released this week.
Texas Aggie '99
AG
I just rewatched the entire thing via the YouTube episodes. I have to agree with NoAC, the cycle scene is still fantastic to watch.

I can't wait to see the sequel.
The Lone Stranger
As to the movie holding up, it's more than just a matter of how super-techno-cgi-far out-and groovy the special effects were.

The movie holds up for the same reason "The Day The Earth Stood Still" holds up; it's creative, has an interesting story, the acting is good, and the action is cool.

Shoot I still think that "The Wizard of Oz" holds up rather well, and it's effects are crap.

I am sooooo going to this movie.

I will also hit True Grit.

P.S. I should also add that I have been a science fiction nerd since 67, so this is, at least for me, a personal classic.

[This message has been edited by The Lone Stranger (edited 12/16/2010 8:04a).]
aTmAg
AG
I was pretty young back in the day when Tron came out, and back then I was dabbling in writing software on my Apple ][e. I didn't like the notion that every program I was writing was actually fighting a gladiator duel to the death. I was unable to suspend disbelief on that, and it sorta ruined the movie for me, but I did like the the motorcycle scene.

Weird, I know.
TXAG 05
AG
atmag, its just a movie man, it will be ok
aTmAg
AG
Who knows how many programs I have killed or sent to their deaths over the years... It is probably 100's of thousands by now. I'm basically Hitler.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
For those of you who haven't watched the original but plan on watching the new one, IGN did a good job recapping.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/12/13/10-things-to-know-about-tron-legacy
Gradin
AG
quote:
I didn't like the notion that every program I was writing was actually fighting a gladiator duel to the death.

I thought they typically did not fight each other. I thought Master Control basically started that through his minions and them gathering up programs to force them to fight each or prove who is worthy to serve him.

[This message has been edited by Gradin (edited 12/16/2010 1:26p).]
aTmAg
AG
So you are saying that not all of my programs had a gladiator fight to the death? Only some of them? So that makes me not really a Hitler, but more of a Ted Bundy? Yay!!!!
ashleyschaeffer
Thanks for the youtube link. Just watched the whole movie.

And glad I did because I didn't remember any of that.
sharkenleo
Just got back from the midnight showing. Excellent movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Truly shows off what 3D can do.

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie on a big screen and in 3D.
GoAgs92
AG
is it appropriate for an 8 year old...my kid is going to a birthday party and they're going to see it.
YouBet
AG
If you watch it on Torrent is the quality any good?
sharkenleo
Yes the movie is fine for 8 year olds.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
It's PG. Saw it last night. It was excellent. The critics are right. You're not going to get a very thick plot line, but the visuals were absolutely stunning. And there's enough of a plot to keep it moving. I really enjoyed this movie and I'm glad they can produce a well made movie I can share with my kids.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.