General
Sponsored by

tell me about San Antonio

8,800 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AgsMyDude
TexasAggie_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The official language is Spanish
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm with you FIDO. FNB. Been here for 27 years and ready to get out. The traffic, the people, the politics. Seguin is no better now. The growth in Seguin is crazy. Add San Marcos to the mix and you have the same as the HEB area in Dallas.

I'm sure it is worse in other places but doing anything in the area is a pain these day. Year, year and a half I'm out of here.I want nothing to do with it anymore.
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FIDO*98* said:

Yay! I'm moving here Tuesday


Oh cool, I used to live between Rich Whites and Boring Gays! The map basically checks out. Also TIL that I'm probably younger than Tandy.

The good:
- The mountain biking / trail riding and running options are pretty good. I liked the Leon Creek trails a lot and used to hit them up more or less every day
- Decent flights out of SAT to go visit somewhere better
- HEB, which is a lot better than Fred Meyer / Harris Teeter / Safeway / Publix / Schnucks if you've lived in other parts of the country

The not-so good:
- Check your shoes for scorpions before putting them on
- People cry and complain about traffic but really it's like a 7 / 10. It's nothing compared to 405 from Bellevue to I-5 or State Route 520 (this is Seattle stuff, deal with it).
- Houses are horribly constructed. Slab on grade + expansive clay = foundation issues. Also lots of neighborhoods are the kind of thing where you get to choose between floorplan A, B, or C and it's all some shade of brown/gray.
- It's hot, but not a horribly oppressive heat + humidity + afternoon rain showers with steam coming up off the road so it could be worse
- If there's a horizontal surface within reach, someone will have tagged it
- Lots of car theft, not a lot of insured people, and drivers are a bad combo of aggressive + dumb but they aren't quite to the same degree that people in Houston are
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not much has changed for the better in the 60+ years since I walked out of the DPS office having passed my driver's licenses test and got this advice from my class of 1950 dad.........Son, if you're gonna drive the streets of San Antonio, get out there and assume everybody's drunk.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
NoahAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like to make fun of San Mexico and I hate pinche Spurs. But I can't think of anything about SA that is "worse" than Houston (where I've been for 20+ years).

-weather = not as bad
-traffic = not as bad
-access to funner outdoors stuff = much better
-sports: Spurs, Cowboys, Rockets, Texans, Astros = all suck. Draw.

What's wrong with New Braunfels? My sister's family lives there and we always enjoy visiting.
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is no longer a New Braunfels. It is just a suburb of San Antonio or Austin. You saw it die with the Mayor Popcycle error - a systematic killing of a small town. It was unique with a unique culture. Everything got overpopulated and over commercialized. You have to pay to park down town now. You have to pay to park at Prince Solmes Park. The chains (food, retail, whatever) have taken over. Might be fine for most. For me, a guy that used to visit every summer as a kid and raised a family here, what made is special is dead.

Happens a lot to us old timers. That's why we yell at clouds. No one else will listen.
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How old are you? I'm 39, my girlfriend is 45
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aquin said:

Moved here 12 years ago. It is the most livable big city in the country. Everyone is pretty nice. The trades are actually competent. The Mexicans make it work (60%). So everyone gets along. If someone is born here they never leave…hell some haven't even made it to Austin. The medical resources are far better than one would think. I would not feel a need to leave if faced with a serious medical condition.

What are the problem areas. The political leaders are grossly incompetent…I mean really bad. The local news boils down to Spurs, Spurs, Weather,Weather,Food Drive. They haven't done an investigation in decades. Did I mention the Spurs?

Despite what they say it is a sanctuary city…but Catholic Charities buses the illegals out as soon as they get here. So violent crime is here but confined to certain areas. Now the life expectancy of a F150 is about twenty minutes.

It is hot. If you are a gardener, the only plants that will grow have to start with Texas or Mexican. Full sun does not mean San Antonio full sun. On balance it is a pretty good place to live.

I grew up in SA.

Now I live in Corpus. SA doesn't know what true incompetence is with political leaders compared to here.
You can turn off signatures, btw
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The SA Aggie club is awesome

https://www.aggiepark.com/


SA is fantastic for the size it is. It's hot as hell, yeah. But great access to the Hill Country. We find ourselves in Fredericksburg, Wimberley, Concan, etc. a lot.

Grew up in Houston and don't think I could move back
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoosegow said:

There is no longer a New Braunfels. It is just a suburb of San Antonio or Austin. You saw it die with the Mayor Popcycle error - a systematic killing of a small town. It was unique with a unique culture. Everything got overpopulated and over commercialized. You have to pay to park down town now. You have to pay to park at Prince Solmes Park. The chains (food, retail, whatever) have taken over. Might be fine for most. For me, a guy that used to visit every summer as a kid and raised a family here, what made is special is dead.

Happens a lot to us old timers. That's why we yell at clouds. No one else will listen.

This. Grew up there in the 80s and 90s. It is almost unrecognizable now. Too many people have moved there wanting the small town experience and ruined it.
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hoosegow said:

There is no longer a New Braunfels. It is just a suburb of San Antonio or Austin. You saw it die with the Mayor Popcycle error - a systematic killing of a small town. It was unique with a unique culture. Everything got overpopulated and over commercialized. You have to pay to park down town now. You have to pay to park at Prince Solmes Park. The chains (food, retail, whatever) have taken over. Might be fine for most. For me, a guy that used to visit every summer as a kid and raised a family here, what made is special is dead.

Happens a lot to us old timers. That's why we yell at clouds. No one else will listen.



When we moved to NB in 2010 my commute was about 40 mins. As the time started creeping up, I started leaving earlier and earlier and now leave at 5:45 so my commute is "only" 50-55 mins instead of 70-80 minutes leaving at 6:45. Now they are building tract homes and apartments on any spot of bare land that can be found and there is no infrastructure to support it. Our shortcut through Seguin to get to the coast is nothing but traffic lights,m so going to NPI is now a 3 hour affair regardless of which route. I have to pay $20 to park at 8:00am on a Sunday if I want to go scuba dive the Comal despite paying $10,000 a year in property tax. If I want to go visit Gruene on a Sunday afternoon all I have to do is put the address in my Tesla and I can still enjoy an occasional trip, but it's no longer more enjoyable to live here day-to-day vs San Antonio

TX AG 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a good town to live outside of. North (Spring Branch, Bulverde, Blanco, etc), Northeast (Randolph communities, New Braunfels, etc), Northwest (Helotes, Fair Oaks, Boerne, etc. Those are what I'm most familiar with. There are some other pockets to the west toward Medina Lake and Bandera, as well as Castroville, and places like St Hedwig and LaVernia to the SE.

The city and Bexar County are run like crap. The utility monopolies are not transparent. The various school districts fire superintendents for corruption like clockwork. Seems the police chief and sheriff are mostly interested in getting on TV and re-elected until it's time to cash in on the notoriety.

I greatly prefer living in one of the bedroom communities that's outside Bexar Co. I've lived in and out of S.A./Bexar, and recommend out.
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tandy miller said:

How old are you? I'm 39, my girlfriend is 45


Rule #1 cuz TTIWWP

And SA is full. Head east.
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UnderoosAg said:

tandy miller said:

How old are you? I'm 39, my girlfriend is 45


Rule #1 cuz TTIWWP

And SA is full. Head east.
I posted a picture
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not on this page I ain't flipping back.
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

Not a torta.


SA has a cure for everything. And everyone.
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UnderoosAg said:

It's not on this page I ain't flipping back.


Use your imagination
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
People seem thinner and more attractive in El Paso than San Antonio.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
brotherbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like you don't live in NB but rather Comal county. Probably Bulverde.
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is she your a really girlfriend or just someone you're dating?
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
brotherbear said:

Sounds like you don't live in NB but rather Comal county. Probably Bulverde.


I can sit on my back porch and hear music from Gruene Hall
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tatem said:

Is she your a really girlfriend or just someone you're dating?



She's my girlfriend.
Hoosegow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My commute from Seguin to the house has increased to 20 minutes. I lived off of 46 when it was a two lane road. In the early 2000's my commute was 10 minutes home and 8 minutes to work. Used to go home for lunch every day.

Life happened, moved to the south side of the Guadalupe. 725 and 1044 are both nightmares now. Going home is at least a 25 minute commute. I get to work before 6 in Seguin. 725 is basically non-stop traffic, even at that hour.

I'm sure it if fine for most people. I was fortunate enough to raise a family here when it was still special. Daughter went K-12 in the NBISD system and has done well for herself. I have no complaints of what it was. Just don't want anything to do with what it is, now.
Hwy30East
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tandy miller said:

I met a lady. She lives there


Does Chester approve of her? What are his feelings on San Antonio?
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He has not and will not like her initially bc he doesn't like anyone.
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did you meet her online?

Also, does she know her face is posted?
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tatem said:

Did you meet her online?

Also, does she know her face is posted?


Yes x 2

And I'm not leaving that picture up lol
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Met her on grindr
Threetoedcoyote
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The river walk is amazing at Christmas time. Also its not 110 degrees at that time....usually.
Agsquatch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got to live in San Antonio for a while for my first job. I loved it. It is by far my favorite city and the only metro I'd ever consider living in. It's a Mexican city that happens to be in Texas.

The drivers are awful, tortas are real. Expect to get some sort of spanglish fluency in short order.

The Good:

Food. My God the food is so good.
1. Taqueria Datapoint (on De Zavala). I might dox myself to people on here because I make loving this place my entire personality. When I visit my friends over a weekend, we go at least 3 times. It is the ultimate hole in the wall, soccer on a tiny tv mexican place. If you go around lunchtime you'll see tons of landscape crew rigs parked around eating there.
--------
Distant 2nd: Mama Margies - like a Mexican waffle house. Incredible drunk food.
3. Texas Tacos - just went there yesterday. I'll post a picture of my enchiladas when I am near my phone.

Charthouse on top of the tower of americas sucks as a restaurant, go there for drinks. I actually got engaged up there. Great views of the city.

KSAT - They have a GREAT airport. Extremely easy to navigate and connections everywhere, with a lot of directs with Southwest.

There is an extremely cool blues / rock n roll / jazz club I used to haunt called Luna. It was an incredible, initmate live music place with relatively cheap drinks.

Cowboys Dancehall was also on my list, they had a killer live band and a big dancefloor.

Boerne is close enough to commute, and IMO is the perfect community. If I weren't living where I am now, I'd move to Boerne tomorrow.

Lost Maples. Just go. Camp and look at the Milky Way. I just got back from there this past weekend and it was incredible.

The Bad:
- 1604 is a hellhole filled with agony and folks selling their souls just to get one lane moving.
- If you drive any kind of upmarket offroad truck (raptor, trx, etc) or modified it's not a question of if but when it'll be stolen. There's a high profile former cop and MARSOC YT creator who had his TRX stolen out of his driveway.
- It's HOT.
- utsa. you'll never meet a group of people more proud of going to a commuter school.
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tandy miller said:

Tatem said:

Is she your a really girlfriend or just someone you're dating?



She's my girlfriend.



Does Chester approve?
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No. Not yet
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Threetoedcoyote said:

The river walk is amazing at Christmas time. Also its not 110 degrees at that time....usually.


It's a dirty creek. [/Charles Barkley]
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shhh stop telling people about the airport. Only once in 10 years I've had to wait more than 5 minutes.
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have lived in Boerne for 7 years now. Love it. Still has that small town feel regardless of what the longtime locals say. Popular bumper sticker says "Boerne, TX, Gone Forever" Blah blah, we still have parades multiple times a year. Thats a small town thing.

Only go into SA down to about the rim area, much further and traffic and drivers are horrible. Stay north
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.