How do newly retired people spend their time?

15,072 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone mentioned that when every day is Saturday there's nothing to look forward to. I very much look forward to the weekend.
bagger05
AG
StockHorseAg said:

I'm in my late 20s so I have a ways to go but my dream retirement would be to have a smaller explorer yacht like a Bering 77 that I could captain myself yet go anywhere in the world. Yes, it's a 6mil dollar boat but, one can dream right?

If I wanted to spend the summer cruising up and down the Alaskan coast I could. Spend the winter in the Bahamas, why not? Cruise over to Europe and spend a year going around there. My grandchildren want to go see some penguins in Antarctica? lets go there. It just sounds like a really fun way to spend retirement to me.

Nothing about this sounds unreasonable at all. This is a really good goal. I hope you truly go for it.
Buck Turgidson
I'm retiring slightly early in about a month. Already partly retired as my remaining work obligations are winding down fast. I don't have a big hobby that consumes a ton of time. I do have three high school kids that will be taking up less time as they all start driving. Remodeling our new house is taking up a bunch of time. After that we might travel some and I will get more serious about real estate investing.
TyHolden
AG
jja79 said:

Someone mentioned that when every day is Saturday there's nothing to look forward to. I very much look forward to the weekend.
That's not a college sports fan. I live for Saturday.
Buck Turgidson
I'm not sure I buy the idea that you have to make 5 days a week suck just so you can better enjoy the weekend.

However, if you actually enjoy work more than leisure time, more power to you. My work is rewarding, but also frustrating and stressful. I'm trying to cut daily stress back see what that feels like for once.
harleyds2
AG
I retired 2.5 years ago aged 60. Always very active in community service, church etc. lots of hobbies. Work on the ranch a lot. Travel a lot. Never been so busy but can't ever imagine going back to work. I dont miss work one bit, some peolple yes and I also take my old company new business if it pops up in my doings.I feel for the people that retire that have not of the mentioned hobbies. I watch them sit and rot in front of the TV
Hamburger Dan
I'm 64 now, will be 65 in December. I retired May of "23 from 41 years of High School coaching. I work 2 days a week at a high end golf store doing Trackman fittings and a little club repair. I play golf twice a week with a Sr group of approximately 48 guys at a nice golf club. I'm still fairly competitive, so I like that. I also take a week off every month, starting in May for fly fishing in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. I paid cash for a Little Guy travel trailer, (from many years of golf lessons and camps) so I can move around pretty easily. Also have a nearly three year old Grandson that I see almost daily. ( another one on the way in mid January) My wife is an accountant- she'll work 4 more years. We're not rich, but money is good and shouldnt be a problem. We try and take a nice trip once a year to go somewhere - Denver, Charleston, Montana, Phoenix area, etc. I live in Lubbock area- and the airport here is nice. We've been very lucky and will readily acknowledge that fact. Life is good, these day.
Retired Principal
AG
Awesome retirement!. As a retired public educator, thank you for fighting the good fight for 41 years.
permabull
AG
infinity ag said:

My only fear is when I get to 60 or 70, I will regret not "achieving" enough in my career. I don't want to be CEO or anything but because I picked a bad location and stuck there I have struggled a lot more than I needed to. My plans are to move West next year where jobs in my field are.

Did anyone feel this after they retired?

Almost no one puts their job title on their tombstone
Beer Baron
AG
Mostly *****ing about things on Facebook and Nextdoor.
MooreTrucker
AG
Beer Baron said:

Did anyone just hear gunshots???
maroon barchetta
MooreTrucker said:

Beer Baron said:

Someone was shooting at the mountain lion we saw in our gated subdivision in the middle of the city!
MooreTrucker
AG
maroon barchetta said:

MooreTrucker said:

Beer Baron said:

Someone was shooting at the mountain lion we saw in our gated subdivision in the middle of the city!

Usually in our area it's fireworks or roofers nail guns + dumb people.
Nuke_Ag05
AG
Rick Dalton said:

I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state.
State to state….no papers?
Buck Turgidson
permabull said:

infinity ag said:

My only fear is when I get to 60 or 70, I will regret not "achieving" enough in my career. I don't want to be CEO or anything but because I picked a bad location and stuck there I have struggled a lot more than I needed to. My plans are to move West next year where jobs in my field are.

Did anyone feel this after they retired?

Almost no one puts their job title on their tombstone

Career "success" is mainly something that guys obsess over before retirement. Then that's all in the rear view mirror and it becomes more important to have been a good father, husband, grandfather.
MooreTrucker
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Career "success" is mainly something that guys obsess over before retirement. Then that's all in the rear view mirror and it becomes more important to have been a good father, husband, grandfather.
VERY much this!!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Im a simple man. Dont need fancy titles. Just millions of dollars and a 25 year old wife and Im set.
Complete Idiot
https://www.investopedia.com/cost-of-the-american-dream-2024-8705906

American Dream costs $4.4 million.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Complete Idiot said:

This made me feel pretty good about my chances. Not because I am worth 4.4M, but because I am spending nowhere near any of those totals on anything. 44k for a wedding, what are you a kennedy? What that is really saying is that it costs 4.4M to be financially illiterate and still comfortable.
MooreTrucker
AG
44k for a wedding actually isn't that far off and not extravagant these days.
FIDO*98*
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

You can be successful in a career and still be a good husband and father. I'd argue having a successful career makes you more likely to be a good husband and father.
Complete Idiot
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Complete Idiot said:

This made me feel pretty good about my chances. Not because I am worth 4.4M, but because I am spending nowhere near any of those totals on anything. 44k for a wedding, what are you a kennedy? What that is really saying is that it costs 4.4M to be financially illiterate and still comfortable.
To be clear, it's not saying you have to be worth $4.4 million it's saying you would need to have made that much lifetime income in a married household with 2 kids.

It's somewhat silly since not many households meet all their assumptions.

Wedding probably isn't too far off for people in that income range, if including honeymoon (which it doesnt list).

Their vacations average out to be super cheap per year. We could pick it apart all day because it's somewhat silly.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Just because everyone else is ******ed doesnt mean you have to be ******ed too. If you spent 44k on a wedding youre ******ed and deserve to eat dogfood in your retirement years.
MooreTrucker
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

MooreTrucker said:

Just because everyone else is ******ed doesnt mean you have to be ******ed too. If you spent 44k on a wedding youre ******ed and deserve to eat dogfood in your retirement years.
I'm guessing you don't have a daughter of marrying age.
MooreTrucker
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Buck Turgidson said:

You can be successful in a career and still be a good husband and father. I'd argue having a successful career makes you more likely to be a good husband and father.
Not saying that they are mutually exclusive, just that one is not necessarily dependent on the other.
permabull
AG
On your death bed no one ever says "my biggest regret is I didn't stick around for that last promotion", they are much more likely to say "I wish I retired sooner"

Edit to add i think only one person I ever ask said they wish they spent more on their wedding. Most people who I have asked are embarrassed how much they spent and wish they had that money for a down payment on a house.
bagger05
AG
My wedding was awesome. We didn't go cheap, but if we had it to do over again we'd still spend a little more. There are a handful of things we'd spend less on, but biggest regret was not getting a videographer and that would definitely cost more than the things we'd save on.
jja79
AG
Observations from a retired guy.

1. We're all running out of somedays. Hanging on for another dollar is worthless if you reach the end of your somedays.

2. Find the place you want to be and your people. Might be where you are today or maybe not. In my case it was a place and group of people I never knew.
BenFiasco14
AG
As a millennial, I don't expect I'll be able to "retire" in the traditional sense. Can't even imagine what things will look like 35+ years from now, but have a feeling private retirement accounts will have gone the way of the dodo in favor of some expanded single payer social security Medicare combo abomination.

I assume I'll be gone before retirement age anyways from cancer or heart problems.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
permabull
AG
We didn't video our wedding, mostly because everyone I asked said they had either never watched or only watched their wedding video once and we had a church wedding so having a camera crew would have taken away from the moment
bagger05
AG
I didn't really understand what my wife meant when she talked about a "videographer" - I assumed it was a fancier version of an old school wedding video. So I was not really for it and my wife didn't press it. Now that I have seen what she was really talking about I wish we would've done it.
GIF Reactor
AG
jja79 said:

1. We're all running out of somedays. Hanging on for another dollar is worthless if you reach the end of your somedays.
I think the fear is running out of dollars before you reach the end of your somedays.
maroon barchetta
GIF Reactor said:

jja79 said:

I think the fear is running out of dollars before you reach the end of your somedays.

Username doesn't check out.

I expected something among the lines of this.

GIF Reactor
AG
jja79
AG
I failed to add a 3rd point. Identify wants and needs and stick strictly to the needs and limit indulging yourself in wants. I live in a 55+ community in Arizona and think most of my friends would agree. That doesn't mean you can't have fun but be judicious.

And I feel pretty certain that I have less than most on this thread.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.