How do newly retired people spend their time?

15,035 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I retired July 17 after 45 years. My employer agreed to let me work remotely the last 18 months i worked. I donated all my possessions to an assistance ministry, loaded my clothes and golf clubs in my Telluride and moved to Arizona where i didn't know anyone. Being single for the last 18 years made that easier. I've made a bunch if great friends, play golf 4 days a week and whatever i want to the other days. I live about 10 miles from the Tonto National Forest so i spend a lot of time at the Salt River there fishing, site seeing and floating the river. I was bored to death for about 2 weeks but that's over.

Fat fingered the wrong emoji.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Attention retired farts: I don't want to see you at the gym or grocery store at 4-6 pm on the weekdays. Those hours are reserved for working people. You got all damn day. Do that stuff before lunch. Weekends, ok, I guess.
Aggie Dad 26
I got a part time job. I was tired of being home all day
Complete Idiot
Aggie Dad 26 said:

What type of job? I figured I could drive a school bus or work at Home Depot to get out of the house
bagger05
AG
NoahAg said:

I don't understand people that get bored in retirement. Or keep working 40+ hours a week in a regular job long after they need the money. I have way too many interests and hobbies. I can't wait to not work.

I'm the opposite. Year after year I spend more time and energy on things I enjoy and find energizing and less time and energy on things that irritate me.

If I keep doing this I can't imagine why I would ever want to hang it up.

I think retirement is a bad deal for a lot of people (and would be for me).
Ragoo
AG
I would be a full time amateur age group triathlete and travel the country from April to October racing once a month.
B-1 83
AG
Golf at least two mornings a week, there's fishing, yard work, vegetable garden, financial stuff, part time job (maybe 4 weeks a year), ……..I'm not bored.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Aggie Dad 26
Complete Idiot said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

What type of job? I figured I could drive a school bus or work at Home Depot to get out of the house

A job similar to Home Depot. I work 2 or 3 days a week. Early hours
one safe place
I never liked work, not a single day of it. It provided me the opportunity to make a very good living (unlike so many on here, I do not have an eleventy billion dollar portfolio nor do I pay well into six figures in income tax, but we do ok).

Transitioning into retirement was pretty easy. I had a lot of things I had put off doing and then suddenly no longer had an excuse for not doing them. Spent some time emptying out my old office so I could sell it, doing things to the current home so it can be sold, and dealing with building a new house.

Fish, hunt, kayak, pick berries, put up a bluebird trail (starting to at least), and might even do a little trapping this winter.

I am not sure how I envisioned retirement would be, but it has been different than I ever imagined. The main parts of it I like is not having to deal with as many people as when working, not having to get up and go to work, and being able to decide I don't want to do something today, but might do it tomorrow. Or the next day.
jja79
AG
Went fishing today.

infinity ag
Aggie Dad 26 said:

I didn't realize you were retired. For some reason I thought you were in your 20s. Maybe 26.
infinity ag
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

HD is a company. What kind of work do you do? Is it like one of those people who help customers figure out what to buy?
maroon barchetta
infinity ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

I didn't realize you were retired. For some reason I thought you were in your 20s. Maybe 26.

He claimed to have created the username because his daughter is Class of '26.
Aggie Dad 26
maroon barchetta said:

infinity ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

He claimed to have created the username because his daughter is Class of '26.

She sure is. Ag Eco. Dating her HS sweetheart who is class of 27

So dumb
Aggie Dad 26
infinity ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Complete Idiot said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

HD is a company. What kind of work do you do? Is it like one of those people who help customers figure out what to buy?

I work for a company similar to HD. It's just a basic job to get me out of the house. I'm retired military and I'm only allowed to work Xamount of hours, and make Xamount per year given my medical based retirement.

It's a sham
maroon barchetta
Flagged for being hateful.
Aggie Dad 26
infinity ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Because you've seen about 5 pics of me and I don't look old enough to be retired?
Aggie Dad 26
maroon barchetta said:

Flagged for being hateful.

Cool. I'm flagging you for trolling (again)
maroon barchetta
I was just stating facts.
Aggie Dad 26

Yep, retired, 1 at A&M, 1 at UTI for HVAC, and my 13 year old turns 14 this month
Aggie Dad 26
maroon barchetta said:

I was just stating facts.

No, you post trolling responses and apparently flag people when you don't like their responses from YOUR troll

Stop responding to my posts. I've ignored you for a long time now
maroon barchetta
Someone doesn't know what trolling OR ignoring is.
evestor1
1. Mow grass daily with my reel mower

2. Watch Fox News all day
Jetty
AG
Volunteer at Church Pantry…. We served over 500 families last week. Very rewarding. Retired from A&M at 50… after working for 31 years. Spending time dejunking our house. Don't want our kids to have to do that!
Tanker123
I take care of my wife who has PTSD. I wrote a cookbook and volunteer my time to help people and veterans with PTSD. Retirement is a great opportunity for you to pursue what you want to.

Watch this Ted Talks video. Retirement
RAB87
AG
NoahAg said:

I don't understand people that get bored in retirement. Or keep working 40+ hours a week in a regular job long after they need the money. I have way too many interests and hobbies. I can't wait to not work.
This is the correct answer. I speak from experience. If you're bored in retirement, you're not doing it right.
ABATTBQ11
AG
My uncle does a ton of woodworking and stuff on the castle they're building. My aunt is doing a lot of painting.
Burdizzo
AG
RAB87 said:

NoahAg said:

This is the correct answer. I speak from experience. If you're bored in retirement, you're not doing it right.

Friend of mine retired in his early 50s. He decided he was going to do woodworking projects, which he tried. Problem he had was that he had no other retired friends doing woodworking projects to hang out with, and he got bored. He was back working within about two years.

I should have hooked him up with agrams
Sweating BulletS
Aggie Dad 26 said:

... I'm retired military and I'm only allowed to work Xamount of hours, and make Xamount per year given my medical based retirement.

Branch? I am guessing USAF. You are probaly a 100% VA disability.
No need to answer any of the above, just curious. I was USAF.
Anchorhold
Jetty said:

Volunteer at Church Pantry…. We served over 500 families last week. Very rewarding. Retired from A&M at 50… after working for 31 years. Spending time dejunking our house. Don't want our kids to have to do that!

Flagged for being helpful.
Ordinary Man
Retired 4 years ago after working for nearly 43 years at my company.

It felt strange the first year since I had been working since my teen years. It took that first year to not feel like I had to be working.

Since retiring, I have been busy nearly everyday doing some type of chore or hobby. I reorganized and ran our church's food pantry for two years. I am now the benevolence coordinator for the church. That has kept me busy (almost daily) helping people needing financial assistance with mortgage, rent, or utilities. It seems that most of the people needing help are divorced and/or single mothers.

I am also a webmaster for a hunting, fishing, and shooting club. I also run a bi-monthly clay shoot for the club.

I also work out at the gym 3 times a week and walk a 6 mile course several times a week. As far as travel, we haven't done much since I have put a lot of $$ into fixing up areas of the house. We plan to do some traveling in 2025.

It's still hard to believe I'm retired. I thought the day would never come. I'm not into leasure much, and want to give back to others, and plan to continue doing so while our health is good.
Aggie Dad 26
Sweating BulletS said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

... I'm retired military and I'm only allowed to work Xamount of hours, and make Xamount per year given my medical based retirement.

Branch? I am guessing USAF. You are probaly a 100% VA disability.
No need to answer any of the above, just curious. I was USAF.

Not USAF
Aggie Dad 26
Aggie Therapist said:

Get ahold of Von Miller

Lol
maroon barchetta
Ordinary Man said:

Retired 4 years ago after working for nearly 43 years at my company.

It felt strange the first year since I had been working since my teen years. It took that first year to not feel like I had to be working.

Since retiring, I have been busy nearly everyday doing some type of chore or hobby. I reorganized and ran our church's food pantry for two years. I am now the benevolence coordinator for the church. That has kept me busy (almost daily) helping people needing financial assistance with mortgage, rent, or utilities. It seems that most of the people needing help are divorced and/or single mothers.

I am also a webmaster for a hunting, fishing, and shooting club. I also run a bi-monthly clay shoot for the club.

I also work out at the gym 3 times a week and walk a 6 mile course several times a week. As far as travel, we haven't done much since I have put a lot of $$ into fixing up areas of the house. We plan to do some traveling in 2025.

It's still hard to believe I'm retired. I thought the day would never come. I'm not into leasure much, and want to give back to others, and plan to continue doing so while our health is good.

Petition to change your username to Extraordinary Man.

This is some good bull.

The benevolence group at our church growing up made a real difference for local people in need. What you are doing in retirement is a great thing.
zephyr88
AG
I'll be moving to the country. I look forward to microfarming and golfing. Wife wants to raise chickens and garden. Presently waiting for to get to 'Medicare age', but clearly ready to eject from the workforce and the big city.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.