How do newly retired people spend their time?

15,048 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
Bondag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to retire at 55-60 and hopefully still be healthy enough to play golf, go to gym and enjoy those parts of life without the annoying work getting in the way.
Jbob04
AG
What is your plan for medical insurance?
Bondag
AG
Jbob04 said:

By that time the government will cover it all.
cas8019
AG
How do the "early" retirees bridge the healthcare gap?
Kiss my beans
Jbob04
AG
Bondag said:

Jbob04 said:

By that time the government will cover it all.

Sounds like a good plan
jja79
AG
I practiced retirement by moving to my retirement destination 14 months before i quit working just to be sure it was right for me.
infinity ag
Jbob04 said:

Why not Obamacare?
gooberhead
AG
What is everyone's experience with Medicare? Scares hell out of me moving from employer sponsored plan to Medicare
MooreTrucker
AG
gooberhead said:

What is everyone's experience with Medicare? Scares hell out of me moving from employer sponsored plan to Medicare
I'm fortunate, having worked for a state university for 26 years, to get to keep all my benefits including the insurance, and Medicare Advantage.

We're currently working through how to add my wife to that and what the Medicare Advantage of it will work for her.
MooreTrucker
AG
Oh and also, you don't have to worry about what to wear every day. You can just wear whatever you want.

If you're in a coat-and-tie type business, it's even better. I only wear suit and tie for weddings and funerals these days.
Sweep4-2
Haven't thought about it (in my early 50's with a kid in college)....but between running, climbing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and sailing I'm hoping to stay busy. Honestly , the hard part will be when my wife retires and my hobbies take a hit.

In reality though....the part I dread is when I eventually slow down and can't be physically active. THAT will be rough....I hate to be inside and/or sitting.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Retired 3 years ago. Not one regret. Not one dull day.

My advice is to retire as quickly as you can. You can be as busy or as lazy as you want to be. You'll be surprised at the opportunities that come your way. The trick is to choose wisely.

This is my view this evening. Somewhere in Colorado wondering what the rich people do!
jja79
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Oh and also, you don't have to worry about what to wear every day. You can just wear whatever you want.

If you're in a coat-and-tie type business, it's even better. I only wear suit and tie for weddings and funerals these days.

I don't have long pants or suits anymore. The only wedding I've been to since I retired was on the number 1 tee box so everyone was in shorts.
MAS444
AG
Where is that?
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Just below the Spanish Peaks near Cuchara CO.
Wahoo82
AG
FIDO*98* said:

The number of people on this thread who look at retirement as an escape makes me sad. I enjoy what I do and have a great time with the people I work with. I feel like work is my escape from reality half the time. I just turned 49 so maybe I'll feel differently in 5 years, but right now I'm having the most fun I've ever had working. Living in NB helps because we can enjoy living in a vacation town and we spend plenty of weekends at the coast. Work has never caused me to feel like I'm missing out on leisure time and enjoying life
I am 68 and still working and totally agree with you. I have friends in their 70's and 80's doing the same. My wife and I (and my older friends) do all of the travelling, etc. we want and lead a wonderful and low stress life. I see no reason for an arbitrary age limit to force a lifestyle change.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

Just below the Spanish Peaks near Cuchara CO.
Nice! Only about 150 miles from us (as the crow flies)...but a 6+ hour drive! Beautiful time of the year there.
infinity ag
My only fear is when I get to 60 or 70, I will regret not "achieving" enough in my career. I don't want to be CEO or anything but because I picked a bad location and stuck there I have struggled a lot more than I needed to. My plans are to move West next year where jobs in my field are.

Did anyone feel this after they retired?
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Somewhere between 6 weeks and 6 months thoughts of your career will began to fade!
MooreTrucker
AG
infinity ag said:

My only fear is when I get to 60 or 70, I will regret not "achieving" enough in my career. I don't want to be CEO or anything but because I picked a bad location and stuck there I have struggled a lot more than I needed to. My plans are to move West next year where jobs in my field are.

Yeah, but you get over it. I made many not-so-good career choices, but I married WAY up (no rule 1), so we're doing fine, and my "retiree's guilt" is made better by taking care of stuff around here while she works.
Shoefly!
AG
Hookers and blow baby!!!
chick79
AG
I retired at the end of 2023 and went on Medicare. My wife hasn't worked in years. However the company I retired from brought me back with a new hourly contract rate. I'm still putting in 25-30 hours a week. We are traveling a lot. Going to Europe next month and have a couple of nice trips planned for next year. I am delaying taking social security. I'll be 68 next month.
Complete Idiot
My grandfather died at age 103.

His son, my father, died at age 55.

I'm approaching age 55.

It's hard to know when to retire. But I DO want to retire from this job that causes me some stress. I enjoy the challenge, but my feelings of "enough" are slowing rising. I could drive a school bus or do some contract work or any number of lower stress part time jobs.
fc2112
infinity ag said:

My only fear is when I get to 60 or 70, I will regret not "achieving" enough in my career.

Things I was on the design team for:

I'm good.
maroon barchetta
Sure, Jan
Caliber
AG
infinity ag said:

I'm not retired, but no, I do not ground my identity in my career beyond being successful in the moment. I have goals looking forward, but those also are in competition with my FI number. When I hit my number, I'm done, I'll gladly wave goodbye to it.
jja79
AG
I was going to take a spin on my golf cart at 6PM but went to the grocery store instead just to mess with the people getting off work.
one safe place
Was a little cooler this morning, so I took a walk in the woods, a place I have walked for almost all of my 71 years. Remembered others that once walked there, gone now, would love to hear their voices again. It is so quiet there, I almost can if I listen hard enough.

As it warmed, I went and collected rent from two people, a man has got to eat!
CaddoAggie96
AG
I fish 4-5 days a week and have several projects going all at various stages of completion.
Stages include:
Thinking about it.
Looking into it.
Actually working on it.
Floppy Leon
AG
I turn 47 next week and will retire in 3 years at age 50. My son will be in high school and my daughter will be beginning kindergarten so I plan to not miss a single one of their events and soak up all the time I can with them. Immediately after I retire I want to attend a 2 week hand made boot making school in Montana and make a place in my shop for this hobby. I want to have a perfect lawn. My wife and I also plan on visiting more national parks.
TexasAggie81
Moving to Valencia Spain, and enjoying the rest of their lives there. That's what I did this Tuesday.
StockHorseAg
AG
I'm in my late 20s so I have a ways to go but my dream retirement would be to have a smaller explorer yacht like a Bering 77 that I could captain myself yet go anywhere in the world. Yes, it's a 6mil dollar boat but, one can dream right?

If I wanted to spend the summer cruising up and down the Alaskan coast I could. Spend the winter in the Bahamas, why not? Cruise over to Europe and spend a year going around there. My grandchildren want to go see some penguins in Antarctica? lets go there. It just sounds like a really fun way to spend retirement to me.
maroon barchetta
It's all fun until pirates or drug cartels board you and kill you and use your boat for smuggling.
MAS444
AG
The $6MM boat cost is just the tip of the iceberg, as I'm sure you know.
GIF Reactor
AG
I may never be able to retire due to finances, but I'm hoping that if I do, I'll be able to spend time with grandkids, light travel, and enjoying coffee on the back porch every morning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.