How do newly retired people spend their time?

15,033 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by jja79
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am middle aged and still have some years before I decide to retire. I am in good shape financially and don't need to work for money but at this point, I still enjoy working in the right job. But at some point I will quit.

From being busy with commute + work for 5 days a week to nothing 5 days a week + weekend is quite a change. How did you handle it when you were newly retired? It is likely that the kids have flown the coop too, so you cannot go back to babying them.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
i look forward to raising chickens and a microfarm
Uncle Howdy
S
My dad spent the first 6 months or so getting on my mom's nerves since she wasn't used to him being home all the time

They eventually adjusted and do a lot of traveling now
javajaws
AG
Not retired yet - but hobbies will be it for me. I have way too many of them.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Get ahold of Von Miller
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Uncle Howdy said:

My dad spent the first 6 months or so getting on my mom's nerves since she wasn't used to him being home all the time

my FIL found new employment promptly after spending a couple weeks with his wife. Dude woke up at 4Am for work, was in bed by 8:30 for like 30 years. He never actually had to talk to his wife.
NoahAg
I don't understand people that get bored in retirement. Or keep working 40+ hours a week in a regular job long after they need the money. I have way too many interests and hobbies. I can't wait to not work.
Uncle Howdy
S
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Uncle Howdy said:

my FIL found new employment promptly after spending a couple weeks with his wife. Dude woke up at 4Am for work, was in bed by 8:30 for like 30 years. He never actually had to talk to his wife.
My dad did some consulting for a few months, but he got tired of it quickly and hasn't gone back
Anchorhold
Idle hands are the devil's playthings.
ToddyHill
AG
I officially 'retired' from my job on July 31, 2023. Given the technical nature of my former role, I still work 10 hours per week remotely as contract (1099). It's provided a few extra dollars but has also helped me ease into full time retirement, which I plan to do this coming January.

There's always a lot to do at our place. Right now, my primary focus is cutting/splitting wood as we have a wood stove and rely on it heavily for about five months a year. Beyond that there's always stuff to do as we have acreage and a few farm animals that need to be tended.

Presently, our biggest issue isn't finding something to do...it's finding a capable house sitter to tend to our brood while we're away. In our case, 'down-sizing' is taking on a whole different meaning.
Rick Dalton
AG
I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state.
Fins Up!
AG
If I could retire today, I'd run every morning after I took my kid to school. I'd drop that 25 extra lbs that I need to shed by not eating crap anymore and being more active.

I'd fish, kayak, cook supper for the fam, and my yard would be impeccable.

I'd go to my church's Monday am prayer session and help out around the church more.

There wouldn't be enough hours in the day for me to do everything I would want to do if I could retire this instant!
NoahAg
Anchorhold said:

Yeah, again I have too many interests to be idle. I'm also not fat and out of shape like a lot of old retirees. I actually like to get up and do stuff.
infinity ag
javajaws said:

Not retired yet - but hobbies will be it for me. I have way too many of them.

Examples please.

My friend who is still working but older by 2-3 years told me that it is best to cultivate hobbies while working so that the transition is easier.
infinity ag

Uncle Howdy said:

How did he make your wife then? Divine conception?
infinity ag
NoahAg said:

I don't understand people that get bored in retirement. Or keep working 40+ hours a week in a regular job long after they need the money. I have way too many interests and hobbies. I can't wait to not work.

You may be right I have many hobbies too, like reading, investing, and even some tech stuff. I am not one of those people who get bored easily, I can find ways to keep busy. If nothing else, I'll just annoy some TexAgers to pass time.

Just trying to see if folks here have any perspectives on this topic.
infinity ag
Uncle Howdy said:

Uncle Howdy said:

My dad did some consulting for a few months, but he got tired of it quickly and hasn't gone back

My FIL did the same for a few years but he got sick of it. It is still a job with the same pressures and annoyances.
NoahAg
infinity ag said:

NoahAg said:

You may be right I have many hobbies too, like reading, investing, and even some tech stuff. I am not one of those people who get bored easily, I can find ways to keep busy. If nothing else, I'll just annoy some TexAgers to pass time.

I'm not close to retiring. But I look forward to it. Work is just a paycheck.
After 3 tries my dad finally retired for good in his late 70s.
infinity ag
NoahAg said:

infinity ag said:

NoahAg said:

I'm not close to retiring. But I look forward to it. Work is just a paycheck.
After 3 tries my dad finally retired for good in his late 70s.

70s is too late. By that time health issues may have set in.

Ideally (and not everyone can achieve this), one should retire when one is healthy and has enough money. Time comes with retirement. I believe that starts around 50 and ends around 75.
GCRanger
AG
Still 10 years out. In theory kids will be done with college.

On our to do list
- travel the US, rv some, fly and drive, stay in a particular location for weeks at a time to get a feel for living there there and use as hub for exploring
- live in Ireland a few months out of year. We have a house and family there. Use as hub for exploring Europe
- when not traveling well volunteer at church and other non profit stuff
- maybe do part time work in IT
- home gardening
Serious Lee
definitely retire as early as you can. you've got to be able to ease your way into it.

Quote:

From being busy with commute + work for 5 days a week to nothing 5 days a week + weekend is quite a change.
or else that abrupt change will do you in. my dad waited until his 70s and is too tired to do anything now. hes practically just wasting away in his recliner, and its affected his mental state dramatically.
UTExan
You read a lot, experiment with new recipes, watch your investments, do yardwork, garden, have lunch, travel abroad, take road trips in the US and commiserate with other old fogies about how worthless younger generations are.

I think that covers most of it.
“If you’re going to have crime it should at least be organized crime”
-Havelock Vetinari
Complete Idiot
Anchorhold said:

Trust me, my hands won't be idle.
Burdizzo
AG
Uncle Howdy said:

TIL retired people don't have a lot of sex.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I retired at 55. The first few mornings I looked at the clock and thought I'd forgotten to set the alarm. Jumped out of bed thinking I was late for work before it dawned on me that i don't need to do this anymore. The great thing about retirement is that you can do whatever you want whenever you want or you can do nothing at all. I highly recommend it.
stonksock
I retired earlier this year. Early 40s and could lose a few pounds so I have been better at going to the gym and taking my dog on walks every day.

I have a ton of airline and hotel points from all my work travel so I have gone on 4 relatively cheap vacations this year and will likely be out of town again next month. It's nice I can plan things last second.

I did try to garden a little this year and grew some peppers but I got bored with it and let them all die. My house is cleaner than it's ever been and I my yard looks better too. I am a little embarrassed that I play spend a few hours a day playing video games but I don't really watch much TV anymore.

I love running errands during the day when people are at work or seeing a movie in an empty theater at 1pm on a Tuesday. I actually don't like the weekends much because there are too many people out and about

I have a feeling my next big adventure will be to move but I am still trying to figure out where I want to move to which is part of the reason I have been traveling so much.
stonksock
The one thing that surprised me is I actually get to bed earlier and get up pretty early now. When I worked I would stay up late doing stuff bc I knew that once I want to sleep it was wake up and get to work. Now that I have all the free time I need the next day the second I start to get tired I just go to sleep since I will have plenty of free time the next morning.
lotsofhp
AG
I'm a long ways off with young kids still but hoping I can find a meaningful role doing some sort of ministry work locally. Find a way to mentor younger generations.

One thing is for sure, beyond the finances, you need to be prepared for retirement. My parents are living it up in retirement compared to others I know who are seemingly just waiting around to die one day. I contribute their success to finding themselves in a good community of friends from decades of being in the same town and different church groups and stuff. They just went in a seniors trip with the church to see the Noah's Arch replica and had a great time seeing that and socializing with everyone else on the trip. Some people wouldn't dream of doing something like that. At one time I don't think they would have thought they would ever do something like that. But they're open to new things and it's great.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Running errands and grocery shopping during the week and avoiding the weekend crowds is a big plus.
permabull
AG
infinity ag
UTExan said:

You read a lot, experiment with new recipes, watch your investments, do yardwork, garden, have lunch, travel abroad, take road trips in the US and commiserate with other old fogies about how worthless younger generations are.

I think that covers most of it.

I do all of these even now.
infinity ag
stonksock said:

I retired earlier this year. Early 40s and could lose a few pounds so I have been better at going to the gym and taking my dog on walks every day.

I have a ton of airline and hotel points from all my work travel so I have gone on 4 relatively cheap vacations this year and will likely be out of town again next month. It's nice I can plan things last second.

I did try to garden a little this year and grew some peppers but I got bored with it and let them all die. My house is cleaner than it's ever been and I my yard looks better too. I am a little embarrassed that I play spend a few hours a day playing video games but I don't really watch much TV anymore.

I love running errands during the day when people are at work or seeing a movie in an empty theater at 1pm on a Tuesday. I actually don't like the weekends much because there are too many people out and about

I have a feeling my next big adventure will be to move but I am still trying to figure out where I want to move to which is part of the reason I have been traveling so much.
40s is quite early, you must have done well $$$ wise.

You didn't mention or maybe I did not catch it. Are you married? Or have a girlfriend? Do you have someone to spend time with?
infinity ag
lotsofhp said:

I'm a long ways off with young kids still but hoping I can find a meaningful role doing some sort of ministry work locally. Find a way to mentor younger generations.

One thing is for sure, beyond the finances, you need to be prepared for retirement. My parents are living it up in retirement compared to others I know who are seemingly just waiting around to die one day. I contribute their success to finding themselves in a good community of friends from decades of being in the same town and different church groups and stuff. They just went in a seniors trip with the church to see the Noah's Arch replica and had a great time seeing that and socializing with everyone else on the trip. Some people wouldn't dream of doing something like that. At one time I don't think they would have thought they would ever do something like that. But they're open to new things and it's great.

I still am at an age where I enjoy working but in the right company doing the right work. I started a new job this year but I hated it so much (they misrepresented the job) that I quit and am at home now. My wife works. I make more than my salary through investing so I can afford to chuck the job. But I am studying some tech stuff and working on certifications so I am ready when the market turns again next year. I am going to enjoy being out of work this time! And not feel guilty about it.
Complete Idiot
infinity ag said:

stonksock said:

40s is quite early, you must have done well $$$ wise.

You didn't mention or maybe I did not catch it. Are you married? Or have a girlfriend? Do you have someone to spend time with?

Pacifico
AG
Sounds like you don't want to retire.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.