AT&T, Verizon and others experiencing cell outage

8,159 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Broncos
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GETS card for the win.
Independence H-D
I am getting the CB's out of storage.....
jetch17
AG
Jock 07 said:

Time to switch to a PrimeCo phone

I'm switching from Motorola
IndividualFreedom
This is a moment to opine. Look at us all. Cell phones go dark and we run to the internet to tell each other. When that goes out, we had better be prepared. I am deciding today to get citizen band radio/solar/battery. We need to then work with Sheriff departments to understand what shat means over the radio.
MouthBQ98
AG
They will find the bad update or setting and undo it.
Furlock Bones
AG
jetch17 said:

Jock 07 said:

Still an absolute Banger.
Independence H-D
You don't already do this? Make sure to include the GMRS/ HAM bands as well.

I actually have a set of single side band CBs for all of our vehicles
IndividualFreedom
Quote:

Make sure to include the GMRS/ HAM bands as well.
Thank you.
IndividualFreedom
Do you have suggestions to what should be purchased? I was thinking like a home base style and then you mentioned all the rest and it pointed to mobile tactical chyna brand units. What say you?
Know Your Enemy
AG
SECTAMU#1 said:

I have AT&T and it's working fine.

Same
Independence H-D
I can only tell you about my opinion and there's a bunch of them out there.

I would focus on ham GMRS and CB. I love CB because it's older proven technology and there's still a ton of it out there. For CB, my preference is to have a single side band unit. This enables somewhat secure communication. Other people would have to have a single side band unit and be on that particular sideband channel to be able to pick you up. It also has a little bit longer range. CBs are also very easily tunable for longer ranges. My plan is for family communication on that. They're is a Brazos County GMRS Facebook page with a ton of information and a lot of great contacts. Ham is essentially for longer range comms.
Independence H-D
For more information than you could possibly ever want....

Consult the outdoors board. They know things.
wangus12
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

SECTAMU#1 said:

I have AT&T and it's working fine.

Same
Same
superunknown
AG
I don't know what a ham band is but it sounds delicious.
IndividualFreedom
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Sideband-WeatherBand-Cancelling-Compatible/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3NVQO8U8H8S41&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.VAbVRPP0mYuhaDGRmeFvqDtzRVo6gwcddlacFA5YMfOWMrtWdzzo4nacSgaNd-0ABvln0Li9HkX5tQFIbgCoRwsCMwQhbiwofCy3CkMMlhvlQEZp_yiRSB9amgWYm9wW0FHCO4jPQ8-jeOdfXJ41Dntzk67br9KluEyAYGpbk7RMdJ2XJCbLhdepBne4-FqBn0nItUZkZhUGHB1AUaVItQIqANmCqvYFPiZYApXFBV0.Am4xOdLqHhfshmoRK_J8UXXrCLUu8eQA-ZPlz7KYYDs&dib_tag=se&keywords=single+band+cb&qid=1708615697&sprefix=single+band+c%2Caps%2C487&sr=8-2

with

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Sideband-WeatherBand-Cancelling-Compatible/dp/B007B5ZAES/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3NVQO8U8H8S41&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.VAbVRPP0mYuhaDGRmeFvqDtzRVo6gwcddlacFA5YMfOWMrtWdzzo4nacSgaNd-0ABvln0Li9HkX5tQFIbgCoRwsCMwQhbiwofCy3CkMMlhvlQEZp_yiRSB9amgWYm9wW0FHCO4jPQ8-jeOdfXJ41Dntzk67br9KluEyAYGpbk7RMdJ2XJCbLhdepBne4-FqBn0nItUZkZhUGHB1AUaVItQIqANmCqvYFPiZYApXFBV0.Am4xOdLqHhfshmoRK_J8UXXrCLUu8eQA-ZPlz7KYYDs&dib_tag=se&keywords=single+band+cb&qid=1708615697&sprefix=single+band+c%2Caps%2C487&sr=8-2
Independence H-D
I have a Uniden. I have a classic CB from the '70s that might be a little bit outside FCC parameters. Peaked and tuned. The range is significant. The older CBs are easier to tune up. In order to get more wattage out of a new model you would need an amp. But great for car to car communications or over short distances.
BluHorseShu
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

They will find the bad update or setting and undo it.
I hope so...or my daughters are going to have meltdowns when they're not in wifi range.
El Gallo Blanco
jetch17 said:

Jock 07 said:

I have a feeling some of these boys round here don't understand virtual reality caravan.
toucan82
Thanks a lot, Biden
agsalaska
AG
That was the weirdest thing in the world. This thread just disappeared and came back.

WTF?
toucan82
China really knows how to hit us where it hurts. Or is it AI? I suppose it could be Chinese AI.
Baby Billy
AG
Iphone 15- down

iPad Pro 4th Gen- LTE service working fine
Dad-O-Lot
AG
4 Cricket phones in the house. None of them working. Says they aren't registered on a network.

strangely, my phone now shows "T-Mobile" as the network. I've never been on T-Mobile.

Can dial out on wi-fi calling, but no one is answering.

Central Texas.

People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
Stupid@17
AG
Is this potentially 5g tower vs non 5g tower related. My folks are out in the boonies and on my at&t plan and have service and calling ability. We are in a large suburb of Dallas and do not have calling. I'm android and cannot text or wifi call it goes to bad gateway. My wife is iPhone and can text other iPhone. But not call or get wifi calling working.

My only though is we have a 5g tower and my folks dont.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
It appears that the Cricket website is down as well.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
kyledr04
AG
My phone, samsung s23 works but my wife's older s21 doesn't. East Texas.

My phone can do 5g+ so maybe that's something that works.
Booma94
AG
It's good to see that AT&T is on top of getting this resolved in typical AT&T fashion. The outage reportedly began about 3:30am and 7 hours later no updates or anything other than "they're aware and working on it".
fooz
Workaround for me was enabling wifi calling since I work remote and internet is still up.

20ag07
They'll never say what happened. And they are claiming 75% of the network is restored. But I find that not believable right now.

Also, I don't know what the hell this means:
Quote:

Although AT&T provided no official reason for the outage, the issue appears to be related to how cellular services hand off calls from one network to the next, a process known as peering, according to an industry source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There's no indication that Thursday's outage was the result of a cyberattack or other malicious activity, the industry source said.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/22/tech/att-cell-service-outage/index.html
Tailgate88
AG
20ag07 said:

They'll never say what happened. And they are claiming 75% of the network is restored. But I find that not believable right now.

Also, I don't know what the hell this means:
Quote:

Although AT&T provided no official reason for the outage, the issue appears to be related to how cellular services hand off calls from one network to the next, a process known as peering, according to an industry source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There's no indication that Thursday's outage was the result of a cyberattack or other malicious activity as far as you know, the industry source said.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/22/tech/att-cell-service-outage/index.html
FIFAT&T
TX04Aggie
AG
My AT&T phone just started working again downtown Htown. Started buzzing like crazy on desk with texts, emails etc.
jbeaman88
AG
Yep, just got it back in Texas City
Waffledynamics
AG
I'm surprised nobody has posted this. It's very possibly due to a pair of solar flares.

https://www.space.com/sun-2-solar-flares-february-22-2024-cell-phone-outages
texasaggie2015
AG
MagnumLoad
Unless we depend on China for cell service.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.