Drinking from the garden hose ..

10,915 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Krazykat
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apache said:

Quote:

We sometimes didn't even wear shoes.

I guess I was around 10-11 when I made a bet with a buddy of mine I could go a week without wearing shoes. Started after Church & went until Sunday School the following Sunday. Such a sweet victory, but man you shoulda seen my feet.

The Guadalupe river was about 1/2 mile from the back of our house growing up. Momma yelling to come home wasn't an option, so a red blanket on the back fence was the signal to "get the F home now". Otherwise we were back before dark.

It was nothing for us to be gone all day swimming in the river, building fires, constructing forts, running traps, etc. The guy who owned the property gave us permission to ride his wild a$$ shetland pony in an effort to break it so his daughters could ride it. By the end of that summer, the pony wasn't just broken, it was damn defeated.
Some of the fun had:
  • Re-enacting that scene form "Man from Snowy River" on the creek bank.
  • Hooking up a commandeered sheet of plywood & making a sled/surfboard for the Shetland to pull.
  • Learning to joust with a long piece of Chinaberry as a lance.
  • Putting a bandana over the pony's eyes while someone climbs on top. The blindfold was removed and the pony smacked on the hindquarters when the "bronc rider" yelled "Let'r Buck!".
  • Shooting a little Bear longbow at targets while at full gallop just like the Commanch.

Username kinda checks out. Maybe.
Burdizzo
AG
txags92 said:

Apache said:

I miss those little windows. Bring back the high/low beam clicker on the floor board while you're at it.
I heard they were going to have to do that anyways because the Cajuns kept getting their foot caught in the steering wheel trying to turn on/off their high beams.

Also an Aggie joke.
txags92
AG
Burdizzo said:

txags92 said:

Apache said:

I miss those little windows. Bring back the high/low beam clicker on the floor board while you're at it.
I heard they were going to have to do that anyways because the Cajuns kept getting their foot caught in the steering wheel trying to turn on/off their high beams.

Also an Aggie joke.
Yep. Right there with the Aggie that locked his keys in his car and it took him 2 hours to get his family out. Or the 4 aggies that drove off the bridge into a river. The two up front survived, but the two in the back drowned because they couldn't get the tailgate down. They all work well as Aggie jokes, Cajun jokes, Polack jokes, etc.
gigemags-99
AG
My mom would leave me and my sister in the car in the grocery store parking lot while she went in to shop. Only instruction we got was "don't touch the gear shift".
JaxDad
AG
The Real Napster said:

Quantum Entanglement said:

How are you people still alive?

There were some losses. But dammit, the odds were in our favor and we lived man. We lived.
I was about 10 or 11 and at a summer camp in Arkansas. They sent about a dozen of us on an overnight camping canoe trip. No adults. Only instruction was meet counselor so and so at the fourth bridge you crossed by noon tomorrow.

Once checked out, the 22 rifle range was come and go free shoot.
Quantum Entanglement
Hear any banjo music?
maroon barchetta
Or pigs squealing?
Aggie12B
AG
deadhead aggie said:

you had three options for these and no, using the gun wasn't one of them.......

1. pop one at a time with a hammer
2. pop the full roll with a hammer
3. bite them one at a time

You forgot the 4th option:
use a match and light the entire roll on fire

and the ultimate option:
throw the box into the camp fire at deer camp and scare the crap out of drunk uncles and cousins
Texker
AG
Swimming in a 3 level blow up plastic pool that likely contained every supposed toxic chemical now known to man filled by a water hose that reeked of the Sears Automotive Dept that we've been drinking out of for years. Yet here I am.

I miss that America.
jja79
AG
This isn't the garden hose but speaks to how different everything is. You could have a cooler in the bed of the pickup, be pulled up to a red light next to DPS, finish your beer, jump out, throw it in the pickup bed, get another beer and wave at the trooper before the light turned green.
maroon barchetta
jja79 said:

This isn't the garden hose but speaks to how different everything is. You could have a cooler in the bed of the pickup, be pulled up to a red light next to DPS, finish your beer, jump out, throw it in the pickup bed, get another beer and wave at the trooper before the light turned green.

With a shotgun and a rifle on the rack in the back window.
pillow
AG
I grew up a quarter mile from the training grounds on Fort Hood in Killeen. A lot of fun was had once we crossed that pathetic barbed wire fence. Artillery simulators are a good time.
GasPasser97
AG
Getting shot with a BB gun

Friend shot in the knee cap with an arrow

Another friend played baseball with bandages on his arms - burned up jumping over a burn pile and tripped

Same friend shot by his brother with a bottle rocket

Same friend sprayed a line of cigarette lighter fluid down the hallway in his house and lit it

WWF trampoline wrestling - suplex, DDT, pile driver…I Jimmy Superfly Snuka'd his little brother all the way off the trampoline

Lawn darts

Blackcats in ant mounds

Cinder block and plywood bike ramps…severe "rack" if u don't hit it dead center

Smear the Q

Climb 20 feet up in a tree…no ladder

Pull a dead go kart with a rope behind a 3-wheeler (flat tires = smashed into a tree)

Knee boarding behind a 4-wheeler in a flooded pasture…Fire ants were a *****

Crushed coke cans wedged in the fork of your bike for a motorcycle sound

Spear grass wars waiting on ur baseball game to start…baseball pants don't stop them

Wax paper cups with "coca cola" on them and "suicide" snow cones at baseball games

First spin the bottle meet up between girl/boy slumber parties in a tent

Stolen bottle of peach Scnaaps for a JrHi camp out…puke

Next time was Jack Daniel's (12-13 year olds)

45 min French kissing sessions at back to school parties in the "party room"

Sniffing gasoline

Burns from metal seatbelt latches

Melted crayons in the crack of vinyl car seats

Not wanting to be the last one to get a pull from the shared Coke bottle in the long car ride

Sprinting barefoot on hot concrete/asphalt from car to town pool

JrHi dances…polo (green) cologne, George Strait, and girls teaching boys how to 2-step…forced by their moms cause the boys were sitting in the corner jackassing around

The sting of snack bar grill smoke on ur eyes after getting out of an overly chlorinated pool and the "ring vision"

Girls wanting to fool around just as much as the boys did

Cold ass football games with a shared blanket and hot chocolate

Grass stains on ur best school jeans

School shoes vs play shoes

King of the hill

The REAL football game behind the stands while the big kids played on the field

Born in the 70s…raised in the 80s…graduated HS in the 90s

A blessed generation
GasPasser97
AG

MAS444
AG
I remember my dad driving me and my brother several hours to my grandparents house in the summer. He'd always have to stop a few times along the way to buy a fresh cold beer at the gas station along the way.
TXAG 05
AG
GasPasser97 said:

Getting shot with a BB gun

Friend shot in the knee cap with an arrow

Another friend played baseball with bandages on his arms - burned up jumping over a burn pile and tripped

Same friend shot by his brother with a bottle rocket

Same friend sprayed a line of cigarette lighter fluid down the hallway in his house and lit it

WWF trampoline wrestling - suplex, DDT, pile driver…I Jimmy Superfly Snuka'd his little brother all the way off the trampoline

Lawn darts

Blackcats in ant mounds

Cinder block and plywood bike ramps…severe "rack" if u don't hit it dead center

Smear the Q

Climb 20 feet up in a tree…no ladder

Pull a dead go kart with a rope behind a 3-wheeler (flat tires = smashed into a tree)

Knee boarding behind a 4-wheeler in a flooded pasture…Fire ants were a *****

Crushed coke cans wedged in the fork of your bike for a motorcycle sound

Spear grass wars waiting on ur baseball game to start…baseball pants don't stop them

Wax paper cups with "coca cola" on them and "suicide" snow cones at baseball games

First spin the bottle meet up between girl/boy slumber parties in a tent

Stolen bottle of peach Scnaaps for a JrHi camp out…puke

Next time was Jack Daniel's (12-13 year olds)

45 min French kissing sessions at back to school parties in the "party room"

Sniffing gasoline

Burns from metal seatbelt latches

Melted crayons in the crack of vinyl car seats

Not wanting to be the last one to get a pull from the shared Coke bottle in the long car ride

Sprinting barefoot on hot concrete/asphalt from car to town pool

JrHi dances…polo (green) cologne, George Strait, and girls teaching boys how to 2-step…forced by their moms cause the boys were sitting in the corner jackassing around

The sting of snack bar grill smoke on ur eyes after getting out of an overly chlorinated pool and the "ring vision"

Girls wanting to fool around just as much as the boys did

Cold ass football games with a shared blanket and hot chocolate

Grass stains on ur best school jeans

School shoes vs play shoes

King of the hill

The REAL football game behind the stands while the big kids played on the field

Born in the 70s…raised in the 80s…graduated HS in the 90s

A blessed generation

A little differences here and there, but that was pretty much what it was like for us. I had forgotten about spear grass!
maroon barchetta
We called them Pygmy spears.

It was great to have a handful of those and be sitting on the bleachers in the gym for some big school presentation and be able to toss them a few rows down and have them stick in someone's shirt.
91_Aggie
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Sunscreen? We put Coppertone on to make sure we maximized the suns rays. We also had to bring nail polish remover to get the tar off our feet and legs. Then we'd pile into the back of a truck and head back home. Great times.

I can still smell the Solarcane that we sprayed on our sunburnt selves in car
maroon barchetta
91_Aggie said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Sunscreen? We put Coppertone on to make sure we maximized the suns rays. We also had to bring nail polish remover to get the tar off our feet and legs. Then we'd pile into the back of a truck and head back home. Great times.

I can still smell the Solarcane that we sprayed on our sunburnt selves in car

I think there was a billboard of one of their ads on the way to Mustang Island from Portland.

maroon barchetta
A solaracaine ad gets flagged?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
It's basically a giant water fountain for all to drink from.

Larry S Ross
Sea Pony 07
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

We sometimes didn't even wear shoes.

I guess I was around 10-11 when I made a bet with a buddy of mine I could go a week without wearing shoes. Started after Church & went until Sunday School the following Sunday. Such a sweet victory, but man you shoulda seen my feet.

The Guadalupe river was about 1/2 mile from the back of our house growing up. Momma yelling to come home wasn't an option, so a red blanket on the back fence was the signal to "get the F home now". Otherwise we were back before dark.

It was nothing for us to be gone all day swimming in the river, building fires, constructing forts, running traps, etc. The guy who owned the property gave us permission to ride his wild a$$ shetland pony in an effort to break it so his daughters could ride it. By the end of that summer, the pony wasn't just broken, it was damn defeated.
Some of the fun had:
  • Re-enacting that scene form "Man from Snowy River" on the creek bank.
  • Hooking up a commandeered sheet of plywood & making a sled/surfboard for the Shetland to pull.
  • Learning to joust with a long piece of Chinaberry as a lance.
  • Putting a bandana over the pony's eyes while someone climbs on top. The blindfold was removed and the pony smacked on the hindquarters when the "bronc rider" yelled "Let'r Buck!".
  • Shooting a little Bear longbow at targets while at full gallop just like the Commanch.

Shetland are the devil. Only horse that ever tried to run me into traffic was a Shetland named cinnamon. Only pony that ever bit me was a devils Shetland mix named cocoa. I was payed to teach those 2 manners in high school.

In the summers, I'd head down country roads on my horse on my own, my grandpa had us driving the stickshift pickup and the tractor by 12, laying pipes in the cornfield, running around town with friends we met at the pool and not telling our parents where we were. We drank from the well and the hose, shot my brother's bb-gun that my daddy bought when he was 5, learned to light firecrackers with black cats and those arsenic snakes. They
scd88
AG
Great thread. Being a kid in the '70's and then high school/A&M in the '80's was a fantastic experience. I grew up in Houston and loved every minute of it.

When we were young, our bikes were our chariots. Skateboards were a close second.

My family moved to a townhouse complex in 1975, and it had a pool and clubhouse. We learned how to break into the clubhouse and play pool and ping pong.

Great common area for smear the Q.

We drank out of plenty of hoses but the clubhouse had a water fountain that pumped out the coldest water. Outdoor water fountains were the shlt for cold water on a hot summer day.

Biked to Westheimer and hung out at Evan's Music City and Sound Warehouse. Biked along Buffalo Bayou before they built it up.

Make moto cross trails in the field between our complex and the next street over. Had BB gun wars in the same field.
Snuck into the Y on Augusta to play basketball, tennis, and football.

My buddy and I would sometimes hop on a bus and go downtown to skyscraper hop. Then we'd bus it back.

Helped another buddy with his Chronicle paper route. The best was Sunday morning and we'd load all the papers into the trunk of his dad's Ford Granada. Then we'd sit back there and toss the papers as the car slowly crept down the road.

We were always doing something outside the house. Most of the time it would involve our bikes.

Went to a skatepark on Saturday mornings off of Wirt and 10. I still have some of those scars on my elbows.

.25 Cokes that were so cold out of the Coke machine.
MouthBQ98
AG
I remeber getting my thighs nearly burned almost red by stainless steel slides in the summer sun combined with those short 80's shorts. That July sun could burn the crap out of you from top to bottom of the slide if it was in direct sun. Even if you lifted your legs up, you backside got slow roasted, so you made sure to go for maximum speed.

Bear creek park on the west side of Houston has this giant right angle triangle shaped stainless steel slide about 30 feet long and 12 feet tall, with the long end at the ground and tilted about 40 degrees. The next longest angle to the top had a short hand rail from ground level to the top so you could climb up along it as high as you liked and slide down from there anywhere along the way to the apex. The whole climb you would get the piss burned out of your hands and knees until you couldn't take it, then you'd slide down to the hot sand at the base.

It was great fun in the morning, but brutal in the afternoon until the sun went behind the pine trees some.

I also remember being able to walk and run on asphalt streets barefoot as a kid. I think our feet all went numb or something.
txags92
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I remeber getting my thighs nearly burned almost red by stainless steel slides in the summer sun combined with those short 80's shorts. That July sun could burn the crap out of you from top to bottom of the slide if it was in direct sun. Even if you lifted your legs up, you backside got slow roasted, so you made sure to go for maximum speed.

Bear creek park on the west side of Houston has this giant right angle triangle shaped stainless steel slide about 30 feet long and 12 feet tall, with the long end at the ground and tilted about 40 degrees. The next longest angle to the top had a short hand rail from ground level to the top so you could climb up along it as high as you liked and slide down from there anywhere along the way to the apex. The whole climb you would get the piss burned out of your hands and knees until you couldn't take it, then you'd slide down to the hot sand at the base.

It was great fun in the morning, but brutal in the afternoon until the sun went behind the pine trees some.

I also remember being able to walk and run on asphalt streets barefoot as a kid. I think our feet all went numb or something.
My mom used to give us sheets of wax paper to slide down the metal slide with. After a few kids went down the slide waxing it, it was like greased lightning after that.
MouthBQ98
AG
Speaking of feet: Stepping on pop-tops/pull tabs was a real concern in the late 70's and early 80's. And there were cigarette butts frigging everywhere.
Builder93
AG
I loved building ramps to jump out bikes in the driveway. No kind of PPE to be seen. A helmet wasn't even a consideration. Many scraped arms and legs.

Climbing trees was expected. My parents would've been concerned if I didn't want to climb a tree.

JABQ04
AG
When my old man found out we were building bike trails and ramps around this dirt hill on the woods behind our house, he gave us axes and saws to clear the area better so he wouldn't have to, as well as access to any step lumber he didn't need.
We also used to have rock wars and take survey stakes out of yards and beat the sheet out of each other running around the same woods.
Played every seasonal sport, and even got into hockey when The Mighty Ducks came out. All we knew was hit the puck in the other goal and beat the hell out of each other. No helmets, no knee pads, no nothing. Just try to stay up and take your fall on the grass. Also full tackle football (unless you were in school clothes) in the yard.
jja79
AG
Hatchets, axes, hammers and propane torches were the best toys.
txags92
AG
jja79 said:

Hatchets, axes, hammers and propane torches were the best toys.
Don't forget 20' wasp spray and cigarette lighters.
Apache
AG
My buddies & I had a little "business" when i was probably 10-11 of knocking down wasp nests in the neighborhood. One summer we really hit it hard.
Pretty sweet gig! We targeted the elderly, checking out their houses for nests and then tell them we'd knock down all the nests for a quarter a piece. (Every nest was a game of Donkey Kong, genius I know.)

We had a lot of repeat business because I think the sadistic old f'rs enjoyed watching us get chased by yellow jackets & red wasps after we knocked them down. I know I would pay to see it today!!
Aggie Infantry
AG
3 pumps on the Crossman BB gun won't puncture skin.
I know...
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
Blacque Jacque Shallaque
I was working outside this weekend...it was hot and I was nasty and didn't want to go inside. I grabbed the garden hose, turned it on, hosed down to cool off and proceeded to take a long drink straight from the hose. Did it all the time as a kid, I see no issues doing it now.
Krazykat
AG
Chinaberry fights.

Shoot bottlerockets at each other.

Full Evel Knievel on driveway ramps with no pads or helmet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.