Drinking from the garden hose ..

10,895 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Krazykat
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What you do is wait until someone starts drinking, then grab a loop of the hose and bend it sharply to pinch it off for just a second. When they look into the hose end puzzled why the water stopped to a trickle, you let go, and hit them in the face with the pressure surge.
VaultingChemist
AG
Ogre09 said:

We would lay down the backseats of the station wagon and make a pallet back there for sleeping on long road trips.
My father made a small platform to place over the back seat floorboards in our sedan to align with the top of the rear seat. Room for 4 kids to sleep.
Burdizzo
AG
Quantum Entanglement said:

Reminded me: We would chase behind the mosquito truck until we couldn't keep up then the fog cloud would surround us as we gasped for air. I don't want to even think about possible consequences in my old age.

You are probably free of parasites.
Drawkcab
Meh. This guy did it better.

https://www.tiktok.com/discover/the-guy-explains-drinking-from-the-hose
deadhead aggie
AG
you had three options for these and no, using the gun wasn't one of them.......

1. pop one at a time with a hammer
2. pop the full roll with a hammer
3. bite them one at a time

dabo man
AG
Was all but impossible to set off a cap with the pistol you got. Cheap piece of crap. It invariably came down to a hammer on the back patio.
maroon barchetta
deadhead aggie said:

WTH
Quantum Entanglement
I considered myself lucky to get 3 pops in a row from caps. Usually 1 and sometimes two. The feed didn't work well so only the first shot was guaranteed if lined it up well. I remember the smell. Definitely popped the caps with a hammer on the driveway. No safety goggles (:
AggieArchitect04
AG
3-man water balloon slingshots.

We would launch and hit the roofs of our neighbors, hide, and watch them come out, walk around wandering what the hell was going. Then we'd do it again. Only broke one window (that was my cousin's fault) which we paid to replace.

Also...
- dirt clod wars at empty lots in the neighborhood
- riding bikes in the drainage ditch
- some light B&E at vacant homes so we could hang out and look at nudie magazines

Good times.

ETA: my little brother and I were rough. my mom had to take us to the ER 3 times in one week. Injuries included a hockey stick to the eye (my brother, he's a pilot now. Lol) and dog bite from a neighbor's dog (me). Don't remember the reason for the 3rd visit...
AggieArchitect04
AG
deadhead aggie said:

These worked better, but only marginally...

Agasaurus Tex
AG
We had a period where we had chinaberry gun wars. They were fashioned out of a 2' length of 1x4, a strip of tire innertube and a clothespin glued in place as a "trigger". Very effective and fairly accurate.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone bottled actual water from a hose and marketed it as such. I know one old dude that would at least give it a try.
rednecked
AG
deadhead aggie said:

we used to scrape the tops off and pour the powder onto a piece of foil that you could pull off from a piece of wrigley's gum. when you have enough, roll it up and make a little fuse. I don't remember what we made the fuses from. it would make a nice little firecracker!
Quantum Entanglement
AggieArchitect04 said:

deadhead aggie said:

These worked better, but only marginally...

Sir it is absolutely impossible to disagree with you more. I've put about 300 of these through my revolvers and not only were there never misfires / duds, the pop was 2-3 times louder. They worked because the cylinder rotated faithfully. The issue is that they were much more expensive and then of course the paper caps became increasingly hard to find.
B-1 83
AG
ptothemo said:

dabo man said:

You have to let it run until it cools off (or just drink straight from the faucet).
And you couldn't always trust the first time that it felt cool to the touch. There was inevitably some scalding hot water that had hidden in a corner somewhere that was ready to get you if you did.
And NEVER trust a guy holding the hose several feet away - you'd get a trickle or "'Ol Faceful".
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
bodaciousbood14
AG
HoseMad said:

still do, but as an adult im just too lazy to kick my boots off and go inside for a glass of water
Username checks out

I drank from the hose last weekend and my wife looked at me like I'd lost my mind. Millennial who grew up the way that lady described as well.
jja79
AG
Harkening back to the days when a hatchet was a toy.
Burdizzo
AG
jja79 said:

Harkening back to the days when a hatchet was a toy.

And pocket knives
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Sunscreen? We put Coppertone on to make sure we maximized the suns rays. We also had to bring nail polish remover to get the tar off our feet and legs. Then we'd pile into the back of a truck and head back home. Great times.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
We had a very old and established forsythia hedge in our yard that went all along the entire edge of our property. I would spend hours a day playing inside the hedge. I had cut a tunnel all the way through so I could crawl the length of the hedge from end to end, and then I had "bases" set up at wider spaces. I imagined I was Indiana Jones spelunking for antiquities and would be filthy with ripped jeans and sticks in my hair.

Where is your kid Mrs. Cobra? "Oh, playing in the hedge again."
Iowaggie
AG
It's not that we couldn't go inside for a drink, but that was an unnecessary waste of time when the water hose was right there. If you were going inside for a drink, it had better be for some lemonade or Kool-Aid (2 cups of sugar when you made it) or some snack, but the risk was always there that a parent was going to put you to work.

Staying outside until the lights came on and playing with the neighborhood kids was just part of childhood that today's kids, for the most part, don't experience. They have way better video games though.
jja79
AG
My dad provided a complete toy box. We never lacked for wooden matches and lighter fluid, box cutters, balpine hammer, everything a 10 year old boy needed for fun.
Quantum Entanglement
How are you people still alive?

Surely you wore helmets when on your bikes? Surely your parents were active in arranging play dates? Are you in therapy because you got spanked for sucker punching a much smaller kid?
dcaggie04
AG

Easy, duct tape and bailing wire.
The Real Napster

There were some losses. But dammit, the odds were in our favor and we lived man. We lived.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG

Surely you wore helmets when on your bikes? Surely your parents were active in arranging play dates? Are you in therapy because you got spanked for sucker punching a much smaller kid?

My parents literally had a bugle they would blow when I needed to be home. I am not kidding. The goal was that I would return early so that I did not have to be humiliated by being summoned by the bugle
Quantum Entanglement
That's how the first Reveille felt so she arrived early to the first call.
AggieBand2004
AG
I used to look forward to Saturdays. Me and my grandpa would get away. We'd hop in his pickup truck and go to town.
We had a couple chores, but it didn't take long before we were through. So we'd let the pickup truck just wander around.
AgEng06
AG
jja79 said:

My dad provided a complete toy box. We never lacked for wooden matches and lighter fluid, box cutters, balpine hammer, everything a 20 year old boy needed for fun.

Ball peen hammer
Quantum Entanglement
Peen
You typed peen
deer corn
I rode my dirt bike (spiked pedals) bare foot and always had bloody toe tips from dragging the ground to stop. We also had those flat style go carts, no seat belts, and flew out on curves taken too fast.

We had an old chicken coop as a playhouse and no lung issues. We played in the drainage ditch of dad's cotton crops when they were full of water and God knows what chemicals mixed in. We were never sick.

Best childhood ever.
Quantum Entanglement
You should have worn proper footwear without exposed laces, a helmet, knee pads and arm pads, gloves, an epi pen nearby lest a wasp or bee sting you, and constant adult supervision. Of course an approved bicycle riding safety course goes without saying.
maroon barchetta
Emotional Support Cobra said:

My parents literally had a bugle they would blow when I needed to be home. I am not kidding. The goal was that I would return early so that I did not have to be humiliated by being summoned by the bugle

My cousin's house was kinda Grand Central Station for kids in his neighborhood.

When we all went to another house or yard or the park or the church yard or the fire station to play or do dumb stuff like bust out lights with pieces of brick or really hard dirt clods, my aunt would step outside and whistle when it was time to come home.

You could hear it for blocks.

In the Star Trek remake, when Kirk is in the bar fight and Pike shows up and whistles and everyone stops what they were doing? That might have been modeled after my aunt's whistle.

It might as well have been a bugle. We would all hightail it home. Lots of other kids would show up just to see if this was a case of her handing out popsicles, or handing out ass whippings. You just never knew.
gigemags-99
AG
Neighborhood street football. "On 2, everybody just go long"…"CAR!!"
gigemags-99
AG
Toy guns so realistic your parents would warn you not to get shot by the police when playing outside.

I had a cap gun almost exactly like this:

ptothemo
AG
gigemags-99 said:

Neighborhood street football. "On 2, everybody just go long"…"CAR!!"

I lived on a cul-de-sac for a number of years growing up, and there were lots of kids on our street. We would set up very official looking traffic barriers to stop people from coming down the street. One of the adults on the street was a police officer, and he would just happen to park his squad car near the barriers when he was off or home for the day.

Full court basketball, hockey, soccer, etc was not to be interrupted by those car things.

When people talk about the 90s and how things were, that neighborhood is always the first thing I think about.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.