First Date Activities

9,137 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ForeverAg
double fault
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am curious what the rules are these days for first date activities. Movies are a no go of course. Do you prefer a quick coffee date, go with dinner, or try an activity? Research suggests that doing an activity that you're both new at can be a great first date. But I went ice skating with a date one time and proceeded to crash all over the place while she glided like it was nothing. Slightly embarrassing
AggieArchitect04
AG
I stated this in another thread but I rarely do dinner dates on a first date. It's too much of an investment financially and time-wise. And there's a percentage of women that just want a free meal which is a turn off for me.

I usually like meeting at a bar/brewery/tasting room and having a drink to get the small talk out of the way.

A good second date would be dinner and ice cream or something like that.

Third date would be something fun like axe throwing, bowling, or mini-golf, maybe an arcade….where you can be slightly competitive, laugh at one another and yourself, and keep things light and fun with very little effort.
Uncle Howdy
S
I usually do dinner, and then propose an additional activity if things seem to be clicking between us
aglaohfour
AG
Quote:

And there's a percentage of women that just want a free meal which is a turn off for me.

Men always say this. My question is, where are y'all finding these women who are willing to spend that much time with someone they otherwise wouldn't, just to get a free meal? I've not once known a woman to admit to doing that.

Personally, even in my early 20s, I was capable of buying all my own meals (within my means) and I'd have gouged my own eyes out before I would have sat through an awkward meal with a stranger just to eat somewhere that I couldn't afford on my own. These days there isn't a restaurant I would hesitate to take myself to if I just wanted to eat there. No date required.

OP, something that could be short, like meeting for coffee or a glass of wine is ideal. If it's going well, you can extend it. If not, everyone has an easy out. Activities are awesome, but I like to save those with longer time commitments for second or third dates, once I already know that I've hit it off with someone.
LupinusTexensis
Bouldering at the climbing gym
maroon barchetta
Putt Putt Golf
Top Golf or Big Shots Golf or something like that
Go enjoy some live music at a local small venue. Have some food and drink there or before or after depending on what the venue offers and the schedule allows
Sporting event? Maybe minor league?

Coffee house meetup is good. I don't know why there has to be some major "financial commitment" for a dinner date. You don't have to spend $200 on dinner

Hit up a low-key Asian restaurant with good food. No pressure.

An art showing can also be good. You can see if she has a sense of humor if she starts making fun of the art or if she is totally serious and into all that stuff.
maroon barchetta
Geralt of Rivia said:

I usually do dinner, and then propose an additional activity if things seem to be clicking between us
The Dirty Sock
Straight to the in and out. We can hit the DQ afterward if things click before.
maroon barchetta
The Dirty Sock said:

In and Out Burger?

Why would you go to DQ if you already went there?
The Dirty Sock
maroon barchetta said:

The Dirty Sock said:

In and Out Burger?

Animal style. Gnome sayin?
Uncle Howdy
S
maroon barchetta said:

Geralt of Rivia said:

Whoops, didn't mean that to be dirty…but it definitely works

I may still be a bit exhausted from everything going on this weekend
maroon barchetta
The Dirty Sock said:

maroon barchetta said:

The Dirty Sock said:

In and Out Burger?

Animal style. Gnome sayin?

You should probably lead with the DQ.
Talon2DSO
AG
First date: coffee for about an hour in a coffee shop I don't use as my regular shop.

Thats the only acceptable answer. Use that as a way to filter through the trash to find something meaningful.

If she has big cans, then a second date happens.
Ags4DaWin
aglaohfour said:

Quote:

And there's a percentage of women that just want a free meal which is a turn off for me.

I've not once known a woman to admit to doing that.

Here is your key word.

But guys can tell. When you show up and are making an effort and she is on her phone, doesn't engage, and orders the most expensive thing on the menu it's pretty obvious what's going on.

EDIT* See the anecdote below.
AggieArchitect04
AG
aglaohfour said:

Quote:

Men always say this. My question is, where are y'all finding these women who are willing to spend that much time with someone they otherwise wouldn't, just to get a free meal? I've not once known a woman to admit to doing that.

Personally, even in my early 20s, I was capable of buying all my own meals (within my means) and I'd have gouged my own eyes out before I would have sat through an awkward meal with a stranger just to eat somewhere that I couldn't afford on my own. These days there isn't a restaurant I would hesitate to take myself to if I just wanted to eat there. No date required.
It's 2022.
All women are capable of making their own income, providing for their own needs and material wants, and purchasing their own meals. That doesn't mean they all do it. Some women are old fashioned and expect men to pay for everything. I didn't generalize. I said a percentage of women have this attitude. I would agree that it probably diminishes with age.

I know there are women that approach a date with this attitude because I listen and have heard them say, "at least I'll get a meal out of it" or something to that effect - in the office, friends of friends, female acquaintances, etc.. And I remember a specific woman I was talking to who flat out said I had to take her to restaurant A or restaurant B AND pay for her uber to/from said restaurant or she wouldn't go out with me. Spoiler alert! I never took her anywhere.

Most everyone has a dating history. Men have just as much cynicism in dating as women do and they didn't arrive there out of the blue on unsubstantiated reasons.
Not a Bot
AG
My last two first dates were lunch dates. Both of those relationships ended with her cheating on me.

Avoid lunch dates at all cost.
AggieArchitect04
AG
I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune and I'm not sure if you intended it to be funny, but that made me laugh. Thank you.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Depends on whether I think the woman is legitimate girlfriend material versus a smash and dash or a keep it casual for a few weeks until she calls me out on not progressing.

For legitimate girlfriend candidates, I typically will take them somewhere with a bar I really like nearby, so I can suggest going to it after if things are going well.

For smash and dash/casual dating I choose a popular restaurant that is a few blocks away from my house and casually mention that I walked there during the date, which typically leads to a ride offer and a "can you give me a tour of your house?"

Usually I let them pick the second date.

Third date, my go to is a rock climbing gym near my place that is also next to a brewery.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Private PoopyPants said:

My last two first dates were lunch dates. Both of those relationships ended with her cheating on me.

Avoid lunch dates at all cost.

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Ags4DaWin said:

aglaohfour said:

Quote:

I've not once known a woman to admit to doing that.

Here is your key word.

But guys can tell. When you show up and are making an effort and she is on her phone, doesn't engage, and orders the most expensive thing on the menu it's pretty obvious what's going on.

EDIT* See the anecdote below.

I have several women friends that have admitted to doing this with no intention of ever dating the guy.

I've thankfully never been on one of those dates, but I'm pretty good at weeding people out prior to going on a date.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Claude!
There are really only three viable options for a first date:
1. Demolition derby
2. Couple's police ride-along
3. Panning for gold
LupinusTexensis
Claude! said:

1. Demolition derby
3. Panning for gold

All three of those would be really fun
Sponge
AG
Perhaps they just discovered your texags username?
maroon barchetta
LupinusTexensis said:

Claude! said:

1. Demolition derby
3. Panning for gold

All three of those would be really fun

Another successful TexAgs hookup!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I haven't been on a first date in over 16 years.

That said, my go-tos were always stuff like coffee if she appeared to be "wife" material, chill bar near my house if she was casual relationship/bang-n-run type, or something in public with lots of people around if she appeared high on the "crazy" scale - stuff like an art festival or a watch party for a team where it's easy to deescalate/remove self from situation if BSC rears it's head.
AliasMan02
AG
Putt putt and let her win.
AliasMan02
AG

one safe place
double fault said:

I am curious what the rules are these days for first date activities. Movies are a no go of course. Do you prefer a quick coffee date, go with dinner, or try an activity? Research suggests that doing an activity that you're both new at can be a great first date. But I went ice skating with a date one time and proceeded to crash all over the place while she glided like it was nothing. Slightly embarrassing
Well, on the ice skating, I would have gone Tonya Harding on her and taken out a knee.
B-1 83
AG
Claude! said:

1. Demolition derby
3. Panning for gold
I read the post without paying attention to the poster, but immediately knew who it was! Bravo, Good Sir!

And the answer is Chili's…….but use a credit card because you might not get all your change back.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
aglaohfour
AG
I still don't buy that there are functioning adult women who go into a date with the mindset, "This guy sucks, but I want a free meal." I think it's more likely that they discovered that the guy sucked during the course of the meal, and consoled themselves with the fact that they at least got a free meal out of it.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
https://www.puttery.com/

Perfect to see how she reacts to competition… or you can put together furniture if you really want to learn about someone's personality and quirks
Claude!
What can I say - I like lists.
ac04
SBS

kobe!
jwoodmd
aglaohfour said:

I still don't buy that there are functioning adult women who go into a date with the mindset, "This guy sucks, but I want a free meal." I think it's more likely that they discovered that the guy sucked during the course of the meal, and consoled themselves with the fact that they at least got a free meal out of it.
You must not know my older half-sister
maroon barchetta
jwoodmd said:

aglaohfour said:

You must not know my older half-sister

Or my younger step-sister.

Or some of my daughter's single friends.

It definitely happens.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.