How did you Propose/Get proposed to?

10,292 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Paul Dirac
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wrote "Carol, will you marry me?" On the bathroom mirror in my own blood

She said no
histag10
AG
He proposed in front of Gruene Hall, where we ahd our first date. Then we went to Wurstfest.
Tree Hugger
AG
We had been dating for a few months (working together too) and had been at the "Taste of Bryan" restaurant show working a booth for Applebee's (obviously where we worked) and went back to Applebee's after the event to unload gear and then have a few drinks. We had had a bit of a scare the month before when she was about 10 days late and were talking about that and I mentioned that it was slightly disappointing because then we could have been getting married. She said she felt the same way, and I just blurted out "So will you marry me anyway?" and she said yes.

I already had a ring back at my house and we headed back there to celebrate.

That was March 9, 1999.

We obviously celebrated a little too much because my son's due date ended up being December 12, 1999, almost exactly nine months later. In true form, he was 15 days late and not born until December 27.

We were married in June 1999 but at least I can tell all of my cousins that at least I was engaged before the whole gestation thing began to occur, lol.

We are about to hit our 23rd anniversary this year.
LeonardSkinner
Last week. All the family over for my birthday.

I said, "I hate birthday parties. So what if we made this an engagement party?"
bigfoot10s
AG
Had barely known her 4-5 months, planned a trip to the Lubbock Lake Landmark (not much else out there) to watch the sunset. Had the ring for about 7 hours at this point. Super cloudy, freezing wind, not ideal.

Stood there wrapped in a blanket, both freezing. Couldn't see the sunset for the clouds. She was ready to go, I dropped to a knee, she cried (but wind quickly dried the tears), she said yes, went to Whataburger

Romance is my middle name.

15 years this November. Didn't even know her a year by the wedding.

Yes, we met on MySpace. Looked for an Aggie in Lubbock, she was cute and wearing a football jersey. Done deal!
Dill-Ag13
AG
I hired a plane that flew a banner that read "Dill-Ag13's wife will you marry me" outside of our favorite pizza spot in the woodlands at dinner time. This was after we spent the day in Galveston which was where she was convinced I was going to propose.
swimmerbabe11
that's primo grumpy cute
Duncan Idaho
Its a story as old as time. She gave me an ultimatum. I caved. Two weeks later after deposits were made, I called it off
GarryowenAg
AG
At the top of the steps to the Admin building; one of my favorite places on campus. It was a few months before I left for Iraq. Grateful she waited around for me.
EFE
AG
Had originally planned to propose to her out in Big Bend. The Wednesday before we flew out I got a call from my dad that he'd been admitted to the ER for something to do with his heart, but the Dr didn't have a good explanation for him other than is was good that they admitted him because he might have had a heart attack if they hadn't. So we ditched those plans to be with my Dad that weekend while Dr's sorted him out. Turns out it was a simple outpatient procedure to get my Dad fixed, and the ring was burning a hole in my pocket, so I filled in my brother and sister in Law in on my plans to propose in SA that weekend. My loose plan to make dinner plans at Bohannon's and wing it from there. Once I remembered where Bohannon's was at in relation to other land marks downtown, I figured it would be fitting to propose to my Mexican girlfriend in front of the Alamo. We get married in Cabo this summer. There will be at least 2 people from the internet present for the vows.
maroon barchetta
Hey, don't forget I added a +1.
mrad85
AG
The running track in Spence Park in 1985. Seemed like the right time being the romantic I am.

Later that night after she goes to some frat/ sorority mixer thing, I'm cleaning up the puke. Trash can punch is not her friend.

IMO it isn't where or how you propose, it's that you propose to the right person. 36 years so far and she hasn't kicked me out yet.
EFE
AG
maroon barchetta said:

OMG! What's his name!?!?
maroon barchetta
EFE said:

maroon barchetta said:

OMG! What's his name!?!?

Hedge
MEENag
AG
On stage in the middle of Hotel Yorba. Got married minutes later.
Claude!
Dill-Ag13 said:

I hired a plane that flew a banner that read "Dill-Ag13's wife will you marry me" outside of our favorite pizza spot in the woodlands at dinner time. This was after we spent the day in Galveston which was where she was convinced I was going to propose.
Well, if her name is Dill-Ag13's wife, you basically had to marry her.
The Fife
I proposed to Ex-Mrs Fife at a nice park on the Seattle side of Lake Washington. She said yes, got married a little over a year later.

I learned my lesson, never proposing ever again!
scd88
AG
This was back in late 1994. I had this little bungalow that I remodeled in the Heights (I wish I would have kept that little gem on E13th St...). My girlfriend and I were watching TV on a weeknight.

I had the ring in my pocket and, unlike these days where an elaborate plan and speech is hatched, I was just going to wing it. I started talking about how we have been together for a while (2 years or so) and it was time to move on...

At that point, she started to slowly freak out and she slid off the couch and was half kneeling on the floor to face me. She later told me she thought I was going to break up with her...

Anyway, I'm still sitting and, before I started talking, I took the ring out of my pocket. I don't remember exactly what I said next, but I went on and told her how much it would mean to me if she were to marry me.

Neither of us thought about how we were sitting, but it turned out I was on the couch, and she was kneeling on the floor. She still said yes. Lol.

Then we went and had a late dinner at Birra Poretti's in downtown Houston. It was one of our go-to's back in the day and I think it's still around. They were nice enough to give us a couple of glasses of champagne to celebrate.

Got married in 1995 - a little Catholic wedding in the small town she grew up in near St. Louis on the Illinois side of the river. Then we did another, much larger, Indian wedding in Houston three weeks later. Honeymoon was after the Big Fat Indian wedding.

Still together.
Pinochet
maroon barchetta said:

EFE said:

maroon barchetta said:

OMG! What's his name!?!?

Hedge

This has to be fake news. I think permas carry over to real life.
abileneag09
AG
We were in New Orleans for a few days and my plan was to find a nice romantic spot somewhere on our way to dinner. Unfortunately it was raining, and forecast to rain every day we were there. I didn't want to wait any longer so i asked her in our hotel room before going out. Not ideal but she said yes so that's all that matters. We went to dinner then out on Bourbon Street in the rain and celebrated. One of the best nights of my life!
maroon barchetta
Pinochet said:

maroon barchetta said:

EFE said:

maroon barchetta said:

OMG! What's his name!?!?

Hedge

This has to be fake news. I think permas carry over to real life.

If so then a lot of TexAggers are named Jesus.
infinity ag
what a sorry bunch of beta males!
Tatem
He walked into my apartment after work one day and he said "hey Tatem, wanna get married?" and threw the ring on the counter.
18 years later
rubberygloves
Smart man. Not sure if I will ever say yes to a proposal ever again.
Coog97
She put together a big shindig at Kay's Lounge for my 40th birthday... lots of our friends and family there. I turned it around on her by proposing to her there.

Yes, I proposed to my wife in a dive bar.
scd88
AG
Kay's Lounge!

Is it still around? Used to see all the Channel 13 people in there including pumpkin head Dave Ward after his 10:00 broadcast. Loosened tie, stogie, beers.
maroon barchetta
scd88 said:

Kay's Lounge!

Is it still around? Used to see all the Channel 13 people in there including pumpkin head Dave Ward after his 10:00 broadcast. Loosened tie, stogie, beers.

Gone
atag
AG
It was a second marriage for both of us. No one proposed. We just knew we wanted to get married and didnt want a wedding per se so we planned to get married during a round of golf on our favorite hole of the course we lived on. That morning he jokingly asked if id marry him. It was pretty awesome. Its now been both of our longest relationships and he is currently finishing packing to go home from our golf vegas extravaganza. I learned from my first marriage that if you care more about the other stuff than the actual marriage then thats the first big red flag.
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
GrapevineAg
AG
Was Kay's Lounge the same as Kay's Cabaret (at the mall)?
CDub06
AG
Lots of sinners on this thread.
maroon barchetta
GrapevineAg said:

Was Kay's Lounge the same as Kay's Cabaret (at the mall)?

No

Kay's Lounge was on Bissonett in the Southampton area, north of Rice Village by several blocks.

And just down the road from Channel 13.
GrapevineAg
AG
Ah, Houston. thanks.
Malibu
My wife is an American who grew up as an expat and lived in England for middle and high school. I did the scavenger hunt thing of our favorite places in LA with the last clue being her bag packed and the confirmation code for her to enter at the the airport kiosk. She typed in the confirmation code and voila LAX to London where her best friend from childhood was going to pick her up and instructions to meet me at Trafalgar Square at 7PM sharp.
OriolePete
I never actually proposed. I bought a ring but it wasn't an engagement ring, at least I didn't think it was. When I gave it to her she asked "what is this is supposed to be?" and I said in your typical Pete way "it's whatever you want it to be" I'm like the guy on Seinfeld who makes bets with women to lose on purpose. I've never been good at asking women out, let alone asking them to marry me. Now, every single movie or show with a mushy proposal, I get a stare down. So I've been married for 17 years now without even asking. Go figure.
Gateman
AG
2nd marriage, 3 kids between us. Made t-shirts with iron on letters for me and the kids. Hanging out at her house one day I was upstairs with the kids while she was busy doing something downstairs. Sent youngest kid downstairs with a rose and wearing t-shirt that said "WILL". Sent next kid downstairs with a rose and wearing t-shirt that said "YOU". Sent last kid downstairs with rose and wearing t-shirt that said "MARRY". Then I walked downstairs with a dozen roses and wearing a t-shirt that said "ME". 18 years and counting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.