How did you Propose/Get proposed to?

10,218 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Paul Dirac
Coog97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
scd88 said:

Kay's Lounge!

Is it still around? Used to see all the Channel 13 people in there including pumpkin head Dave Ward after his 10:00 broadcast. Loosened tie, stogie, beers.
It was shortly after Dave stopped going frequently, but I was part of the contingent of Channel 13 regulars in the place for a number of years.

As MB said, yes, sadly it is gone. This is what the location looks like now...

swimmerbabe11
that is 1000x depressing
maroon barchetta
Gateman said:

2nd marriage, 3 kids between us. Made t-shirts with iron on letters for me and the kids. Hanging out at her house one day I was upstairs with the kids while she was busy doing something downstairs. Sent youngest kid downstairs with a rose and wearing t-shirt that said "WILL". Sent next kid downstairs with a rose and wearing t-shirt that said "YOU". Sent last kid downstairs with rose and wearing t-shirt that said "MARRY". Then I walked downstairs with a dozen roses and wearing a t-shirt that said "ME". 18 years and counting.

Did your shirt need to say anything?
scd88
AG
Coog97 said:

scd88 said:

Kay's Lounge!

Is it still around? Used to see all the Channel 13 people in there including pumpkin head Dave Ward after his 10:00 broadcast. Loosened tie, stogie, beers.
It was shortly after Dave stopped going frequently, but I was part of the contingent of Channel 13 regulars in the place for a number of years.

As MB said, yes, sadly it is gone. This is what the location looks like now...

Well that just sucks.
Carlo4
AG
First date - Grapevine downtown. One of the places we stopped was Messina Hof and played battleship. She cheated. I think we made out in her car for 3-4 hours after that.

Purchased the ring by December and was figuring out a moment after Valentine's Day to propose. In late January, she got in a wreck where she totaled her car. Decided to propose sooner as she wouldn't suspect it.

A few days later, went to a Honda dealership to help her buy a new CRV. The guy joked with us why we weren't married yet, but I had the ring in my pocket. I should have asked for a discount if I proposed right there.

Afterwards, I told her we should make the 45 min drive back to Grapevine flit celebrate. We ate at Tommy Tamale and befriended the owner, who later catered our wedding. I took her back to Messina Hof for some wine and stock up the bar at home in Allen.

What she didn't know was that I purchased a new game of Battleship for the winery and worked with them on the proposal. I figured out I could make the ships look like a question mark and "let her win".

She won the game and laughed at how dumb I was to make it into an easy pattern. I asked her to look at her board again, and she finally realized it was a question mark. I was already on one knee at that point.

It worked out. We got married across the street from Messina Hof in the old movie theater.
Al Bula
AG
Yikes. Buncha folks here who don't realize marriage is a pretty common contract that doesn't require expensive and emotional fanfare. The contract itself is expensive. Why set an expensive precedent up front?
swimmerbabe11
literally Noone asked you to rain on their parade.
maroon barchetta
David Happymountain said:

Yikes. Buncha folks here who don't realize marriage is a pretty common contract that doesn't require expensive and emotional fanfare. The contract itself is expensive. Why set an expensive precedent up front?

Never met any engaged women?
Coog97
David Happymountain said:

How very romantic!
Jimmy McNulty
AG
here
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
sitting on the couch during lockdowns
pete_claw98
AG
Under the Century Tree…. Where else?
Dad-O-Lot
AG
At the Kettle at 2 am after closing up the Chicken one night. 34 years ago.
Tomdoss92
AG
Dad-O-Lot said:

At the Kettle at 2 am after closing up the Chicken one night. 34 years ago.
and she's been very, very tired every since.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Like a good Aggie.

After the t.u. game in 2001 under the Century Tree.
Swarely
EFE said:

Had originally planned to propose to her out in Big Bend. The Wednesday before we flew out I got a call from my dad that he'd been admitted to the ER for something to do with his heart, but the Dr didn't have a good explanation for him other than is was good that they admitted him because he might have had a heart attack if they hadn't. So we ditched those plans to be with my Dad that weekend while Dr's sorted him out. Turns out it was a simple outpatient procedure to get my Dad fixed, and the ring was burning a hole in my pocket, so I filled in my brother and sister in Law in on my plans to propose in SA that weekend. My loose plan to make dinner plans at Bohannon's and wing it from there. Once I remembered where Bohannon's was at in relation to other land marks downtown, I figured it would be fitting to propose to my Mexican girlfriend in front of the Alamo. We get married in Cabo this summer. There will be at least 2 people from the internet present for the vows.

Well, you made it easy for your guests to get hookers and blow.
Sea Speed
AG
Wife and I went out to dinner and I had her roommates do up the house while we were gone and then get out of there and there was a card and a big bouquet of flowers on the table and while else was looking at them I got down on one knee and when she turned around and saw that is when I asked.
Sea Speed
AG
Thst was one week after we met and we've been together 9 years now.
maroon barchetta
One week?
Wicked Good Ag
maroon barchetta said:

One week?
Mail order brides dont take long
Sea Speed
AG
maroon barchetta said:

One week?

When you know you know
maroon barchetta
But how did she know?
Sea Speed
AG
Idk but I'm not about to start questioning her now.
maroon barchetta
La Fours
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

It was all you could eat steak night at the Golden Corral. I had 5 steaks. She had 6. I went back for more, but there was none. She gave me her last one. I knew right then and there she was the one. She said do you want some pie? I said, I ate it all, already, but I could still go for some cake. She said that's not what I meant. I said, would ya marry me? She said sure why not. So I slipped a couple of onion rings on her finger as she licked the mashed potatoes off her plate. Later that night I could still taste the mashed potatoes as I ate the onion rings off her fingers. Been happily married for almost 16 years now.

Y'all had the most beautiful wedding at a Waffle House I have ever been a part of.

La fours Jr turns 16 a few days before yalls anniversary. We are getting old, my friend.
AGBU94
AG
She was working on a Saturday afternoon, and we were going to go out to dinner afterwards.

I had decided that when she came over to my place to shower and get ready, I would bring out all of the props...flowers, candles, wine, and the ring. I lived in a third story apartment, so I had all of the items stashed in places that I could quickly set up while she was in the shower. The plan was for two dozen red roses with one white rose. When she pulled out the white rose, there was going to be the engagement ring attached to it and I would be on my knee to ask her. It seemed romantic and simple enough.

I waited until I heard the shower water running and a burst into action. Pulling balloons from the ac closet, roses from under the sink, the ring from the dresser drawer and candles and matches from the kitchen cabinet. I hadn't even lit the candles when I hear the shower stop. The quickest shower ever in our 22 years of marriage had just happened. I thought that there may be time to salvage this, but then I heard the shower door close. I think I was standing there in disbelief about two seconds later when she walked out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel. She knew immediately what was happening. I didn't even make it on to my knees before she said yes.
....Rememberin' the fallin' down and the laughter and the curse of luck from all those sonsabitches that said we'd never get back up!! (REK)
maroon barchetta
AGBU94 said:

She was working on a Saturday afternoon, and we were going to go out to dinner afterwards.

I had decided that when she came over to my place to shower and get ready, I would bring out all of the props...flowers, candles, wine, and the ring. I lived in a third story apartment, so I had all of the items stashed in places that I could quickly set up while she was in the shower. The plan was for two dozen red roses with one white rose. When she pulled out the white rose, there was going to be the engagement ring attached to it and I would be on my knee to ask her. It seemed romantic and simple enough.

I waited until I heard the shower water running and a burst into action. Pulling balloons from the ac closet, roses from under the sink, the ring from the dresser drawer and candles and matches from the kitchen cabinet. I hadn't even lit the candles when I hear the shower stop. The quickest shower ever in our 22 years of marriage had just happened. I thought that there may be time to salvage this, but then I heard the shower door close. I think I was standing there in disbelief about two seconds later when she walked out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel. She knew immediately what was happening. I didn't even make it on to my knees before she said yes.

ib4 several guys on this thread point out flaws in this story
AGBU94
AG
maroon barchetta said:

AGBU94 said:

ib4 several guys on this thread point out flaws in this story
Flaws?....that's funny.
swimmerbabe11
I have a story for this thread now

My Fiance had me take him on a walk all throughout TCU's campus, making me highlight all of the cute spots, go to the football stadium and look at the hall of fame and field, and everything so I thought it might be the thing, but then we were basically done and supposed to meet our friends at Buffalo Bros for dinner. So we were at this statue I spent a lot of time staring at in college because I loved it the most, right by Froghenge. I thought the walk was done and it was hot as all get out, so I turned to head across the street and that's when he proposed.

We ate wings and pizza after. Then my mom called and said my dog got out, so we had to cut the celebrations short to go search for my dumb dog, who had indeed taken a walkabout.
One Louder
AG
KidDoc proposed to me at Bonfire 1993 after we had been dating 5 months. We got married in Bryan a few months later and the A&M lacrosse team turned the reception into quite the rager!
AliasMan02
AG
After my graduation, outside Reed with Kyle in the background. Fitting, since so much of our courtship was related to football and Aggie Band stuff.

I was in my uniform for graduation and we took family pictures after, then pics of me and her. In the second to last pic you can see I'm holding the ring. On the last pic I get down on my knee. There's a great series of pics where she is confused, surprised, then screaming. The reactions of people walking by in the background are great.

Two things almost derailed us. One, I was going to do it BEFORE the ceremony. She forgot her purse and was late, and almost didn't come because she had a headache.

The other is, this was a bit of a last minute thing. I was going to do it a few months later at her Ring Dance, but once I had the ring I couldn't hold off. But I had already encouraged her parents NOT to come to my graduation because graduation is stupid and we didn't have any kind of party or dinner or anything planned. So they could have been there, but weren't. It's PROBABLY for the best because they would have done something to screw it up, though. I also didn't ask her dad's blessing because it was last minute... also for the best because he would have given it away.

All in all I give it about a B.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

that is 1000x depressing

I put a lot of memories into Kay's and Blanco's. But as long as the West Alabama Ice House remains there's still a part of the old Tine left alive.
TX_COWDOC
AG
During my stint as an clinician at the large animal teaching hospital, I had a student (now a practitioner in South Texas) that was a poultry science major. He surgically placed the engagement ring in a laying hen's infundibulum aka egg factory. Took 3 tries and he finally had an egg with the engagement ring inside.

He brings the soon to be fianc (also Poultry Science major) over and they proceed to make brownies. She cracks the egg into the bowl and viola out comes the ring. Pops the question. Rest is history.

Best engagement story I've heard.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
gigemags-99
AG
Under the century tree. Told her I had a Saturday meeting with my prof and she bought it. It will be 22 years on July 15.
maroon barchetta
TX_COWDOC said:

During my stint as an clinician at the large animal teaching hospital, I had a student (now a practitioner in South Texas) that was a poultry science major. He surgically placed the engagement ring in a laying hen's infundibulum aka egg factory. Took 3 tries and he finally had an egg with the engagement ring inside.

He brings the soon to be fianc (also Poultry Science major) over and they proceed to make brownies. She cracks the egg into the bowl and viola out comes the ring. Pops the question. Rest is history.

Best engagement story I've heard.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.