Let talk about Aldi

7,611 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ragoo
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So a friend talked me into going to Aldi for the first time. I've been a few times and the place grows on you. I do like saving $$$.

In case you aren't familiar:

• German based discount grocery store
  • Has mostly only their store brands, which are VERY cheap (think large bag potato chips for 89)
  • Usually only has ONE of every product
  • Have to leave a quarter deposit for shopping cart and get quarter back when you return cart.

In short - you have to get used to their store brands of stuff to shop there. Some are fine - some are not. Everyday items like milk, eggs, meat, canned fruit and vegetables, etc, are fine. Their meats are actually pretty good as it's a German based store. Their potato and tortilla chips were good too. Their fake saltine crackers and Ritz crackers were fine too.

I did not care for their frozen pizzas - crust was weird. I haven't cared much for their pickle either. But so far those are the only things I haven't cared for.

What are your thoughts on Aldi? What items do you like and not like from there?

HarleySpoon
AG
What produce they have, is quite good. Wine is cheap. Meat is good. Gourmet bread is very good. Employees stink.
wbt5845
AG
HarleySpoon said:

What produce they have, is quite good. Wine is cheap. Meat is good. Gourmet bread is very good. Employees stink.
Have yet to try this. Thanks for suggestion.
ToddyHill
AG
Their sparkling mineral water is bottled in Italy and is as good, if not better, than Pellegrino or Topo Chico. It's also much cheaper.

I second the quality of their gourmet breads. The Ciabatta rolls are as good as it gets.

Their beef is very high quality and is aged 21 days prior to cutting.

Interesting history. After WWII, the chain was taken over by the two sons of the founder. In the 60's, one of the brothers wanted to sell cigarettes in the store, the other did not. They could not resolve this issue so they divided the stores...one took the stores in Northern Germany, the other took the stores in Southern Germany. The company that operates the stores in Northern Germany now operates the Trader Joe's stores in the U.S. as well.

wbt5845
AG
ToddyHill said:

Their sparkling mineral water is bottled in Italy and is as good, if not better, than Pellegrino or Topo Chico. It's also much cheaper.

That's one I walked right past as I love Topo Chico and figured their's wasn't any good. I'll try it next time.
Pirate04
AG
As someone who loves German food, I've been wanting to try their schnitzel and spatzle. I've heard very good reviews.

As an Instacart shopper during the shutdowns, I visited Aldi a lot. Overall, they have quality stuff for less, especially notable is the low cost of milk and other dairy products. Personally, I'm not a fan of their eggs, as the containers are flimsy and you have to really look for ones that aren't broken. I also hate the taste of their packaged lunch meats. But the quality of produce they carry is pretty impressive.
wbt5845
AG
Pirate04 said:

As someone who loves German food, I've been wanting to try their schnitzel and spatzle. I've heard very good reviews.

As an Instacart shopper during the shutdowns, I visited Aldi a lot. Overall, they have quality stuff for less, especially notable is the low cost of milk and other dairy products. Personally, I'm not a fan of their eggs, as the containers are flimsy and you have to really look for ones that aren't broken. I also hate the taste of their packaged lunch meats. But the quality of produce they carry is pretty impressive.
I will admit I had to pick through their eggs to find a dozen unbroken. But since I either cook with or scramble my eggs, the ones I found were fine.

I don't typically eat lunch meats and thus will likely avoid them. Have you tried their ham? I though about getting that for sandwiches but haven't yet.

And yes - the 79 quart of milk at Aldi is pretty awesome.
Aston04
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Employees are actually generally very good. They check people through much faster than Walmart, etc because of efficiencies they've built in (ex: put bar code in multiple places, have checker sit in raised chair, call another checker when line backs up, etc). When not busy, they send a checker (or two) to go do other inventory stuff.

My family doesn't have time right now to go here every week. So I went yesterday to stock up. Cart literally overflowing with food and I still spent under $200. Almost every food item is cheaper than Walmart. ex) bought a big box of their brand corn flakes (tastes same) for $1.19 (that's a normal price).

The biggest downside of Aldi is you can't just go there to get everything like walmart. You have to shop there and somewhere else for less popular items ex) the kind of deodorant you prefer, etc...

Lavender Gooms
AG
Used to live in a city with an Aldi and now we don't. Grocery bill went up a good 30% for the same number of people.

We always enjoyed their little blue tin of butter cookies for a treat, and their dark chocolate bars.

Can't wait until they expand to where we live now!
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

I also hate the taste of their packaged lunch meats

The only packaged meat I purchase at Aldi is their Dry Italian Salami (which I don't consider a lunch meat). In my opinion, it's comparable to Boar's Head, at half the cost.

OK, I'm on a roll...as we shop Aldi weekly. Some of the other items that we think are the bomb....

Orange Juice
Both the Pink and Regular Lemonade
Cashews
Pistachios
Brioche Rolls
Any meat item
Kettle Cooked Potato Chips

We really like the produce, but find that you have to use it within a day or so before it goes south. Then again, we're in the Knoxville area, so it could be the supplier.
B-1 83
AG
Corpus Christi will never let them in. Walmart and HEB have that part of city council/building permitting sealed up.
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

The biggest downside of Aldi is you can't just go there to get everything like walmart. You have to shop there and somewhere else for less popular items ex) the kind of deodorant you prefer, etc...
100% agree.

Ironically, our Aldi is right across the street from the Wal Mart. We shop at Wal Mart first, then head to Aldi.

wbt5845
AG
ToddyHill said:

We really like the produce, but find that you have to use it within a day or so before it goes south. Then again, we're in the Knoxville area, so it could be the supplier.

It seemed like their bananas went straight from green to brown. But they still tasted fine.
clobby
AG
I went once and didnt have a coin for the cart. Had to carry all my stuff.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Friendly reminder.
bushytailed
AG
The store brand sparkling water is great and even cheaper than HEB's store brand. I've had good experience with the produce and can often find avocados cheap. Cheeses are great, especially during the holiday season. I enjoy the "Aldi finds" aisle for random things.

I find that the bacon turns green super quick, even well before the sell by date. Has happened several times with different varieties.

As others have said, I can't get all my groceries there but it's worth going occasionally.
Ag with kids
AG
B-1 83 said:

Corpus Christi will never let them in. Walmart and HEB have that part of city council/building permitting sealed up.
I'm surprised the IGA on the island ever managed to get past them...I know they've been fighting that forever...
Baba Ganoush
AG
Do they still require you to pay with cash?
wbt5845
AG
Baba Ganoush said:

Do they still require you to pay with cash?
No, they now take credit cards.
expresswrittenconsent
Sounds like a dump. No wonder they can't make a dent in HEB territory.
combat wombat™
AG
It's funny that some of you have said they have superior produce. The few times I've gone there I've had to pick through the produce to get acceptable quality. And it was only just acceptable. Maybe it was that specific store.
Charpie
AG
It's ok...but Trader Joe's is better
nai06
AG
combat wombat said:

It's funny that some of you have said they have superior produce. The few times I've gone there I've had to pick through the produce to get acceptable quality. And it was only just acceptable. Maybe it was that specific store.

I feel the same way. I always think their produce is the worst part of their store
Cramp00
Quote:

Ironically, our Aldi is right across the street from the Wal Mart. We shop at Wal Mart first, then head to Aldi.

SW Arlington?
ToddyHill
AG
Alcoa, Tennessee

Demographically, not even close to SW Arlington as this area is over 90% Caucasian.
Economically, the majority are lower middle class. In fact, that's probably being overly generous.
wbt5845
AG
The Aldi in SW Arlington is about a mile south of the Super Walmart.
Old Tom Morris
Maybe I should try again, but in my one visit 7-8 years ago, it felt like I was buying my groceries at a garage sale. It was kind of what pictured grocery shopping in the soviet union was like
wbt5845
AG
ToddyHill said:

Alcoa, Tennessee

Demographically, not even close to SW Arlington as this area is over 90% Caucasian.
Economically, the majority are lower middle class. In fact, that's probably being overly generous.
Pretty part of Tennessee though.

But yeah - get up in those hills east of you and there's a lot of poverty and a ton of meth production.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Cramp00
Right across Little Road.
0.2 miles per maps
wbt5845
AG
Cramp00 said:

Right across Little Road.
0.2 miles per maps
I thought he was talking about Cooper Street.
Cramp00
Wasn't aware of that one. Aldi strategy to be close WalMart?
wbt5845
AG
Cramp00 said:

Wasn't aware of that one. Aldi strategy to be close WalMart?
Interesting thought. The one in Mansfield I usually go to is walking distance to a Walmart Neighborhood Market.
doctorAg13
AG
Went for the first time today. Prices definitely lower on most things. I didn't realize you have to bring your own recyclable bags, but when I mentioned it was our first time there, the checker gave us a free paper bag. Maybe you have to buy them if you don't bring your own?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OilFieldIRI
S
Visited a few when I was in Germany. Not to bad.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.