Do you like the courthouse in your home county?

4,536 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAGGIES
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Hidalgo might have the ugliest one out there. Seems they took a note from the same people that constructed much of A&Ms campus.

MD1993
AG
The 70's were a bad decade for buildings designs.
TJJackson
Grew up in Gatesville. The county seat for Coryell County. I've always thought our courthouse was very nice looking.

My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.

-Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
OCEN99
AG
The Angelina County courthouse used to look nice. Now, not so much.

OverR
AG

Doesn't get worse than my home county
Claude!
lotsofhp
AG
JD Shellnut
AG
Not bad.

Tatem
I now live in Ohio and ours is pretty old and neat. My husbands office is across the street in the original post office building. Outside is super cool but the building def needs some updating
Beer Baron
AG
Townspeople: "We want something that depicts total hopelessness and evokes the aesthetic of a Soviet era turnip-canning factory. Something harsh and boxy where dreams go to die that will completely disappear when the red dirt starts blowing like the end times are beginning.

Architect: "Say no more:"

FNG
OverR said:

Doesn't get worse than my home county

An OverR sighting!
Ragoo
AG
Yep, comal is very nice. I think I went inside maybe once over 15 years living there.
proc
AG

It's alright.
Slagathor
AG

Fort Bend County's is pretty neat.

And the Lavaca County courthouse at Christmastime is downright magical.
aeon-ag
MD1993 said:

The 70's were a bad decade for buildings designs.
Reminds me of Brazos County, sterile looking no character.
aggieforester05
AG
It's aight I guess

Old was better:

TxSquarebody
Always liked my hometown courthouse.

Lampasas County
goodAg80
AG
hbc07
AG
Hidalgo's new courthouse is going to be pretty nice.
Unemployed
AG
Not bad.

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Old one:

Current one. So much meh:

Claude!
I said, your old courthouse is kinda run down
He said, naw, it'll do for our little town
Builder93
AG
The Angelina or Hardin County were probably very exciting to the people at the time. It was when anything "Modern" "Space" or "Astro" was assumed to carry a promise to make life better and easier. Moving away from the physical toil through new technology. We look at these things through our current eyes and don't see what it meant to people back then to have something new and shiny and sleek. Many of the old court houses that many think are beautiful old buildings were quite ugly by past standards. I have seen commentary about some of the "fancy and ornate" buildings from the late 1800's to early 1900's that were quite critical of what many today see as a beautifully ornate and grand building. For example, I'm betting the Fort Bend courthouse roof was considered to be very out of scale when it was new.
gomerschlep
AG
Winner

Swarely
I didn't even realize they were building a new one! You still going down there for work a lot?
The Fife
Hays County. The dome was painted silver when I was a kid for some reason.

gif
Looks like an old school. Wharton county

goatchze
AG
Oldest courthouse in continuous operation in Texas. Started using her in 1861 before the war. 159 years, not a bad run.

Cass County
elfurioso92
AG
RiskManager93
AG
Fun fact:

On the south side of the Tarrant county courthouse, take a look at the balusters that encircle the roofline. Look closely at the third one from the westernmost end. It's inverted. Architects Gunn and Curtiss flipped it upside down as their flare.
AggieStan
My home town
hbc07
AG
Swarely said:

I didn't even realize they were building a new one! You still going down there for work a lot?
Up until this whole fiasco... I'm down there at a minimum of once a month. I"m usually staying by the McAllen airport, and eat at the sushi restaurant right next to the la plaza mall and the courtyard marriott. Was down there for something the start of March, and I tentatively have hearings down there 4/6, 4/15, and 5/8. 4/6 is being postponed, and waiting to see on the rest.
lotsofhp
AG
Man I've looked really closely and I don't see what you're talking about. Really interested to see it though. Love little stuff like that in architecture
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.