Do you like the courthouse in your home county?

4,535 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAGGIES
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TxSquarebody said:

Always liked my hometown courthouse.

Lampasas County
Only one on this thread I've actually been inside.
_lefraud_
AG

Builder93
AG
jickyjack1
If the Smith County courthouse were a person it would turn a funeral up an alley.
RiskManager93
AG
You can't see it in this picture. It was taken from the SW corner. If you were standing where the lamp is on the right side of the picture (In front of the Daiches Jewelry bldg.) and were looking back at the courthouse, it's at that corner. The west end of the south-facing side of the courthouse. The balusters are the pear-shaped forms that run across the top edge of the brick, just before the roofline. Third one from the westernmost end. Can't miss it once you've seen it.
Gibbs Slap
AG
B-1 83
AG
leakypipes said:

Grew up in Gatesville. The county seat for Coryell County. I've always thought our courthouse was very nice looking.

The rock for that courthouse came off the ranch next to ours - beautiful Leon Junction. There was even an old railroad spur in the Leon River bottom to support it.
aggiegeog
AG
I live in Smith County which is in the beloved Cold War concrete block style that all Aggies love.
Buck Compton
AG
I live in New Braunfels and will echo how much I like the Comal County one. Grandparents are from Giddings and I've always liked that one as well.

CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

Wilson County Courthouse - Floresville, Texas
Not great, but not bad

My vote for ugliest Courthouse in the land is Zavala County in lovely Crystal City, Texas
Ornlu
AG
Hideous.

GarryowenAg
AG
I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread. I love Texas courthouses.
GarryowenAg
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

Old one:

Current one. So much meh:

Fun fact: the "original"courthouse was built in 1882 (or '83, can't remember), and the current courthouse was built in 1939. It's, surprisingly, not the '50s era soviet style that we all expect it to be. Also, it's designated as the city's fallout shelter.

Edit: I'm an FBG person as well.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
The 1910 Harris county courthouse is lovely:

The current civil courthouse is a colostomy bag of a dumpster fire of post-modern gross:

My actual home county (Tarrant):

Not too shabby.
chipotle
Old school courthouse:

BostonAg74
I saw a picture of the newest Midland County Courthouse, and my first thought was "What a hideous design for a courthouse. It looks like an office building from the '80s". After checking it out, it turns out that it was indeed an office building from the '80s, repurposed as a courthouse. Probably appropriate for Midland, as a celebration of its blandness.

That did get me thinking about other buildings that might be candidates for repurposing as a courthouse. I don't think I'll be able to eat in a Cheesecake Factory without imagining one of the dining rooms as a potential courtroom.
WestGalvestonAggie

FNG
WestGalvestonAggie said:

I like Grimes except for those stairs.
FNG
BostonAg74 said:

I saw a picture of the newest Midland County Courthouse, and my first thought was "What a hideous design for a courthouse. It looks like an office building from the '80s". After checking it out, it turns out that it was indeed an office building from the '80s, repurposed as a courthouse. Probably appropriate for Midland, as a celebration of its blandness.

That did get me thinking about other buildings that might be candidates for repurposing as a courthouse. I don't think I'll be able to eat in a Cheesecake Factory without imagining one of the dining rooms as a potential courtroom.

It's like someone added a few stories to Blocker and made it a courthouse.
BrazosBendHorn
Randall County - it's OK. Not among the most beautiful in the state, but still attractive (even more so since they restored the dome in 2010. It had been removed in 1945, and the courthouse looked kind of blah without it).
wbt5845
AG
As has been pointed out several times on this thread, Tarrant has a sweet one.

That being said, most trials are held in the new one down the street which is ugly as sin.

goodAg80
AG
wbt5845 said:

As has been pointed out several times on this thread, Tarrant has a sweet one.

That being said, most trials are held in the new one down the street which is ugly as sin.

I like the handcuff motif on the corners
Seven Costanza
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Always liked my hometown courthouse.

Lampasas County
For anyone curious, this is called Second Empire (Napoleon III)/Baroque Revival architecture.
Ag9701
AG
Denton County

mike_ags_fan12

The latter looked better
jm94
AG

Kind County, Washington. It's not bad, not awesome.
TXAGGIES
My current home, Oxford, MS

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.