Ship Car

4,544 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oryx
MsC2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi everyone,

I'm moving back to TX from California, and company is paying me to ship my stuff. Has anyone used a car shipping company? There's so many options, I don't even know where to start.

Any help is appreciated.
riverrataggie
AG
You can start by posting cans.

Thanks and Gig'em!
Uncle Howdy
S
Thought this was going to be about the creation of flying cars
EastTexAg09
HollywoodBQ
AG
In 2005, I bought a BMW M3 from a dealer in Boston and had it shipped to LA for about $950. I think it took about two weeks. I had to go pick it up from a depot in Santa Fe Springs which was kind of a hassle.

This week, I'm shipping my Jeep Grand Cherokee from Sydney to Los Angeles for about $1,500. It's going to take about 2-3 months and mountains of paperwork.
concac
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

In 2005, I bought a BMW M3 from a dealer in Boston and had it shipped to LA for about $950. I think it took about two weeks. I had to go pick it up from a depot in Santa Fe Springs which was kind of a hassle.

This week, I'm shipping my Jeep Grand Cherokee from Sydney to Los Angeles for about $1,500. It's going to take about 2-3 months and mountains of paperwork.
OP didn't ask about what kind of cars you own.
Not a Bot
AG
MsC2012 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm moving back to TX from California, and company is paying me to ship my stuff. Has anyone used a car shipping company? There's so many options, I don't even know where to start.

Any help is appreciated.

Would definitely post this on the automotive board.
90 bull
AG
We did this several years ago, but it was handled by the relocation company hired by my wife. I would ask whatever moving company you are using if they have a suggestion.
woodyhayes
Enclosed carrier or open carrier will make a difference, but since the company is covering the cost, insist on enclosed carrier. I've used Reliable Transport in the past.
redd38
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

One of these days they're gonna make a mobile car, I just know it
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
HollywoodBQ
AG
C@LAg said:

HollywoodBQ said:

If you had a REAL Jeep you could drive it to LA yourself.
If I was an Emirati, I'd just put it on a pallet as checked baggage.
HollywoodBQ
AG
RealTalk said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Well, sadly, I don't own 38 cars like our friend Barnes who got busted on the Automotive Board.

Was the detail too much for you to handle? Did your head explode like if you took the drug called "Charlie Sheen"?
Old RV Ag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Why would you send a left side driver car to Australia which uses right side driver cars? Makes it hard to see around to pass, take a ticket at a car park, etc.
Rutedown
Exxon shipped both of our cars from Minn to Texas. Does your company Not have some relocation program?
I Am A Critic
RealTalk said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Hollyweird has never missed an opportunity to bring up some useless factoid about himself in any conversation.
Username checks out.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I Am A Critic said:

RealTalk said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Hollyweird has never missed an opportunity to bring up some useless factoid about himself in any conversation.
Sorry you're boring.

I didn't ask for this life (exactly). Doesn't mean I'm not going to keep living it and sharing.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Why would you send a left side driver car to Australia which uses right side driver cars? Makes it hard to see around to pass, take a ticket at a car park, etc.
Good question but, it's the opposite direction. I'm shipping a RHD car from Australia to the USA. Questioning why I would do that is fair dinkum.

I have a need for a beater 4x4 for my mountain property in Northern Nevada. This is a vehicle I've had for twelve years and I know what works and doesn't work. Think of it as the equivalent of somebody's deer lease vehicle.

I'll have to make a few cosmetic changes like the speedometer and turn signals. But otherwise, I'm spending $1500 to keep a vehicle I already know pretty well.
Old RV Ag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Good question but, it's the opposite direction. I'm shipping a RHD car from Australia to the USA. Questioning why I would do that is fair dinkum.

I have a need for a beater 4x4 for my mountain property in Northern Nevada. This is a vehicle I've had for twelve years and I know what works and doesn't work. Think of it as the equivalent of somebody's deer lease vehicle.

I'll have to make a few cosmetic changes like the speedometer and turn signals. But otherwise, I'm spending $1500 to keep a vehicle I already know pretty well.
dinks
TheDraw
AG
the trap has been set for the poop slap bet bandit to make his appearance.
Martin Q. Blank
MsC2012 said:

Hi everyone,

Any help is appreciated.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3088944

Thread on California's homeless moving to Texas. You could probably get a good price on one of them driving it for you.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I guess good ol' RealTalk must have thought my M3 story was somehow a "flex" as my kids call it. That story is 15 years old broheim. I've moved on from cars to Real Estate now (as you do when you get old).

And for "I Am A Critic", I'm flattered that you would spend 0.01% of your posts over the past 18 years, coming at me. I really do feel honoured. And to stay in character, I've been sitting on this one for a bit, I did finally crack through the mythical $300K barrier so I'm no longer in the TexAgs $200K realm. I never thought I'd even get to $100K when I was a young 2LT making $18K/yr.

But... I digress. Now, back to the OP topic...

This afternoon, I dropped off my raggedy old Jeep Grand Cherokee for shipment to California. They did an inspection of the vehicle noting every single scratch or dent on the car. They also checked out weird functional stuff like the cigarette lighter, etc. The funniest thing the Maori guy inspecting my car said was "You got a lot of scratches bro" [in high pitched big Kiwi guy accent]. I told him just to write "the body is all beat to hell" on the form and I'd be fine with it.

For the OP, good luck with your move out of Cali, back to The Promised Land. This weekend is the 20th anniversary of me leaving Austin to move to Denver. I planned to move back to Austin within 2 years but, unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Cheers!
SquareOne07
AG
I'm gonna get this thread back on track and remind the OP that breasts would definitely go a long way in helping her out.
BenFiasco14
AG
After seeing the first reply I scrolled down. A disturbing lack of cans.

No cans, no advice.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
SquareOne07
AG
No canny
No advicey
Tatem
we used the below company when we moved from TX to OH last year. No complaints.
American Auto Transport

12525 Orange Drive Davie, FL 33330

it cost $950.
Bondag
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I guess good ol' RealTalk must have thought my M3 story was somehow a "flex" as my kids call it. That story is 15 years old broheim. I've moved on from cars to Real Estate now (as you do when you get old).

And for "I Am A Critic", I'm flattered that you would spend 0.01% of your posts over the past 18 years, coming at me. I really do feel honoured. And to stay in character, I've been sitting on this one for a bit, I did finally crack through the mythical $300K barrier so I'm no longer in the TexAgs $200K realm. I never thought I'd even get to $100K when I was a young 2LT making $18K/yr.

But... I digress. Now, back to the OP topic...

This afternoon, I dropped off my raggedy old Jeep Grand Cherokee for shipment to California. They did an inspection of the vehicle noting every single scratch or dent on the car. They also checked out weird functional stuff like the cigarette lighter, etc. The funniest thing the Maori guy inspecting my car said was "You got a lot of scratches bro" [in high pitched big Kiwi guy accent]. I told him just to write "the body is all beat to hell" on the form and I'd be fine with it.

For the OP, good luck with your move out of Cali, back to The Promised Land. This weekend is the 20th anniversary of me leaving Austin to move to Denver. I planned to move back to Austin within 2 years but, unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Cheers!

I call BS. No where in that picture do I see Russel Crowe single handedly combating global warming by putting out wildfires.
agnerd
AG
HollywoodBQ
AG
You know Crowey is really a Kiwi, right?
Tomdoss92
AG
agnerd said:

you caught Leach in his move from Pullman to Starkvegas?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Serious question: what reactions do you get for the stickers on the back of your car? Which one gets the most?
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

I'll have to make a few cosmetic changes like the speedometer and turn signals.
Okay, I'm curious. Why do those have to be changed?
concac
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

They're upside down.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Hey Nav said:

Quote:

the turn signals are yellow/amber where they're red in the USA (I think). And of course the speedometer is in metric.

I had a Canadian friend in California who kept her PoS Mustang registered in Ontario for the first eight years I knew her in California because she didn't want to / couldn't afford to change the speedometer.

Now a few years later, I found out that she didn't actually own the car, it belonged to her ex and I think it was part of the leverage he held over her to allow him access to see their kid.
HollywoodBQ
AG
blindey said:

Serious question: what reactions do you get for the stickers on the back of your car? Which one gets the most?
The "Don't Mess with Texas" one gets a lot of positive comments from random Aussies. Very few know what Texas A&M is except for a handful who follow College "Gridiron". But, when I run into any Texans, they flip their lid over the Bucees trailer hitch cover.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.