Ship Car

4,536 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Oryx
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RealTalk said:

Hey Nav said:

Quote:

I'll have to make a few cosmetic changes like the speedometer and turn signals.
Okay, I'm curious. Why do those have to be changed?
They're upside down.
That was a good guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

In 2005, I bought a BMW M3 from a dealer in Boston and had it shipped to LA for about $950. I think it took about two weeks. I had to go pick it up from a depot in Santa Fe Springs which was kind of a hassle.

This week, I'm shipping my Jeep Grand Cherokee from Sydney to Los Angeles for about $1,500. It's going to take about 2-3 months and mountains of paperwork.
Why would you send a left side driver car to Australia which uses right side driver cars? Makes it hard to see around to pass, take a ticket at a car park, etc.
Good question but, it's the opposite direction. I'm shipping a RHD car from Australia to the USA. Questioning why I would do that is fair dinkum.

I have a need for a beater 4x4 for my mountain property in Northern Nevada. This is a vehicle I've had for twelve years and I know what works and doesn't work. Think of it as the equivalent of somebody's deer lease vehicle.

I'll have to make a few cosmetic changes like the speedometer and turn signals. But otherwise, I'm spending $1500 to keep a vehicle I already know pretty well.

You're dumb. No offense.
5C
AG
agnerd said:

I drive this road 3 times a week
EliteZags
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Old RV Ag said:

HollywoodBQ said:

In 2005, I bought a BMW M3 from a dealer in Boston and had it shipped to LA for about $950. I think it took about two weeks. I had to go pick it up from a depot in Santa Fe Springs which was kind of a hassle.

This week, I'm shipping my Jeep Grand Cherokee from Sydney to Los Angeles for about $1,500. It's going to take about 2-3 months and mountains of paperwork.
Why would you send a left side driver car to Australia which uses right side driver cars? Makes it hard to see around to pass, take a ticket at a car park, etc.
Good question but, it's the opposite direction. I'm shipping a RHD car from Australia to the USA. Questioning why I would do that is fair dinkum.

I have a need for a beater 4x4 for my mountain property in Northern Nevada. This is a vehicle I've had for twelve years and I know what works and doesn't work. Think of it as the equivalent of somebody's deer lease vehicle.

I'll have to make a few cosmetic changes like the speedometer and turn signals. But otherwise, I'm spending $1500 to keep a vehicle I already know pretty well.

You're dumb. No offense.

is that car worth even $3K?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're dumb. No offense.
None taken. You probably don't own four cars and I know you sure as hell don't own a RHD Skyline. You're probably not even a cop.
HollywoodBQ
AG
EliteZags said:

is that car worth even $3K?
Not a chance. It's probably not worth $1500.

But, it is a 4x4 which I need for my "off the grid" mountain property and, most importantly, I know where it's been for the past 70,000 miles / 12 years. I don't have to spend $3K to buy somebody else's heap of crap and then discover what's wrong with it. I already know what wrong with this one.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

RHD Skyline
go on.......
The Fife
HollywoodBQ said:

I guess good ol' RealTalk must have thought my M3 story was somehow a "flex" as my kids call it. That story is 15 years old broheim. I've moved on from cars to Real Estate now (as you do when you get old).

And for "I Am A Critic", I'm flattered that you would spend 0.01% of your posts over the past 18 years, coming at me. I really do feel honoured. And to stay in character, I've been sitting on this one for a bit, I did finally crack through the mythical $300K barrier so I'm no longer in the TexAgs $200K realm. I never thought I'd even get to $100K when I was a young 2LT making $18K/yr.

But... I digress. Now, back to the OP topic...

This afternoon, I dropped off my raggedy old Jeep Grand Cherokee for shipment to California. They did an inspection of the vehicle noting every single scratch or dent on the car. They also checked out weird functional stuff like the cigarette lighter, etc. The funniest thing the Maori guy inspecting my car said was "You got a lot of scratches bro" [in high pitched big Kiwi guy accent]. I told him just to write "the body is all beat to hell" on the form and I'd be fine with it.

For the OP, good luck with your move out of Cali, back to The Promised Land. This weekend is the 20th anniversary of me leaving Austin to move to Denver. I planned to move back to Austin within 2 years but, unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Cheers!

Blue star for Buc-ee's!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You're dumb. No offense.
None taken. You probably don't own four cars and I know you sure as hell don't own a RHD Skyline. You're probably not even a cop.

Tbone`17
AG
To be fair, it would be pretty tough to drive from Sydney to LA.
Oryx
Australia looks terrible
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.