stubhub sent me to collections

33,035 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Lost
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's the timeline;

I post a ticket for sale on stubhub in July. It sells right away for $500 (I net $425). It's a mobile ticket and on a release delay. My deadline to transfer ticket is 9/6. Show is 9/8.

I express concern with a stubhub forum customer service person that I may not be able to transfer tickets, because I'm getting emails from ticketmaster saying they are non transferable. After a bit of back of forth, we decide to just wait until that day comes to see what happens. If I cancel sale, I get hit with a huge fee, based on the sale price of $500. Meanwhile, I start looking for a buyer, and find an interested person here on texags.

On Aug 29, I get an email from stubhub saying my order was canceled. It says :
"The tickets sold for this order were listed incorrectly. Because the buyer didn't receive the exact tickets they ordered, this sale was canceled."

Now, I am actually a bit relieved, because I'd rather sell it to someone who I can meet outside the venue (you don't get contact info for buyers on stubhub). I finalize sale with texager, so I'm good to go. I ignore the canceled ticket email.

On 10/30 I get an email from stubhub saying contact them immediately because I owe them $463 due to an error in my listing, and I have no card on file for them to charge. they threaten to send to collections and suspend my account. I ignore it.

On 12/24, I get an email from TrueAccord, a debt collector, saying I owe Stubhub $463 and stub hub tried to contact me to no avail, so they are attempting to collect the debt. This is due to me canceling the sale and the fee involved. I have no credit card info in my stubhub account, so they couldn't charge anything.

What should I do? Ignore it, try to deal with these people, or try to deal with stubhub? No f-in way I'm paying them $463, because I didn't cancel ****, and it was canceled before the deadline I had to transfer the ticket.

This was the first time I ever used stubhub, and never plan to use them again, so their threat of restricting my account is not a threat at all to me. But I am curious as to what the debt collection company can do to me. How far can that go?

**********************************************************************************************************
Edit to add, neither stubhub or this collection agency has my SSN or DOB. They have my email and name, that's it.
Woody2006
AG
You should definitely keep ignoring it. Nothing to see here
wangus12
AG
Well you have the email that says they canceled the sell, so seemingly I'd tell them that they canceled the transaction so they can shove that 463 up their ass
No Bat Soup For You
AG
It's going to screw up your credit score big time. Dispute it with the credit reporting agencies.
Not a Bot
AG
Quote:

On 10/30 I get an email from stubhub saying contact them immediately because I owe them $463 due to an error in my listing, and I have no card on file for them to charge. they threaten to send to collections and suspend my account. I ignore it.

Had you contacted them immediately (as they suggested) you may have been able to explain the situation and have the charge removed or significantly reduced. They told you exactly what they were going to do, and they did it. Perhaps you should not ignore those emails and deal with things like that when they come up.

The collections people will harass you about it for a long time. Could potentially end up in your credit report.
swc93
AG
Call collectors and settle for $20.
Charpie
AG
hennyj15 said:

It's going to screw up your credit score big time. Dispute it with the credit reporting agencies.
How? You give your SSN to sell tickets on stubhub?
AgGrad99
AG
Why do people ignore stuff like this?

Call, and get it straightened out when you're made aware of the issue, and then you dont have to deal with an expensive mess later.

And why would you suggest ignoring it further, now that it's been sent to collections? That's what caused the problem to begin with.
DE4D
AG
Wait. So. You never received any funds and are now being asked to repay them for nothing?

Nope. First tell the collection agency that the debt is invalid. Secondly contact stub hub and advise them to review their records.

But dont ignore it.
62strat
AG
Moxley said:

Quote:

Had you contacted them immediately (as they suggested) you may have been able to explain the situation and have the charge removed or significantly reduced.
Honestly I didn't feel like wasting min. 30 minutes of my day trying to correct an accounting error that was not the result of any action on my part.
62strat
AG
Charpie said:

hennyj15 said:

How? You give your SSN to sell tickets on stubhub?
This is my thinking. Stubhub has nothing of mine but an email and name. How can they possibly report this to my SSN?
62strat
AG
sw@n said:

Wait. So. You never received any funds and are now being asked to repay them for nothing?

Nope. First tell the collection agency that the debt is invalid. Secondly contact stub hub and advise them to review their records.

But dont ignore it.
Correct.. they have a ridiculous cancellation policy. If you cancel a sale/listing (after it's sold, but before you've swapped money/tickets) you owe them "penalty of 40% of the total ticket cost or the difference in cost to find replacements; whichever is greater."

I never received money from sale, because funds are not transferred until ticket is uploaded/transferred, which my deadline to do so was 9/6.
Old RV Ag
AG
Send them a copy of the email from Stubhub. The collector should go back to Stubhub and tell them it's on them and not your problem. The collector is obligated to mark it as an error in effort to collect and should not bother you ever again. If they do tell them you'll pursue them for harassment and false claims.

Debt collectors are shady but not all are that awful. I had one call one time and all I said was I didn't pay the invoice because they never provided the services. The gal just said ok and that was the end of it.
Charpie
AG
62strat said:

sw@n said:

But dont ignore it.
Correct.. they have a ridiculous cancellation policy. If you cancel a sale/listing (after it's sold, but before you've swapped money/tickets) you owe them "penalty of 40% of the total ticket cost or the difference in cost to find replacements; whichever is greater."

I never received money from sale, because funds are not transferred until ticket is uploaded/transferred, which my deadline to do so was 9/6.

And yet you still listed a ticket with them, right?
rwtxag83
AG
I'd print out copies of all the correspondence they sent, and then call StubHub and explain the situation and tell them you expect them to resolve it by X date. If they haven't notified you by that date with confirmation of the action they took to clear the collections action, then attempt one more time to resolve it with them. If they don't, then you start the dispute resolution process with the collection company, and simultaneously take legal action against StubHub while murdering them on multiple social media platforms.

The social media action, believe it or not, will likely get you the fastest and best results. Their marketing people will likely see it and won't want it to affect their marketing presence.

Sad, really. One more reason not to use StubHub.
Greater love hath no man than this....
BenFiasco14
AG
No tits, no advice.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Sad, really. One more reason not to use StubHub.

I've used StubHub for years. They've always been great. But like with any company, errors can occur.

Likely a 10 minute phone call would've straightened this out from the beginning. Not sure this is a reason not to use them.
62strat
AG
Charpie said:

62strat said:

sw@n said:

But dont ignore it.

And yet you still listed a ticket with them, right?
Yes, my original intention was to list and sell.

But then the order was canceled for some reason (well, they say because I didn't upload my ticket, but it was canceled before my deadline to do so), so I sold it elsewhere.

I think maybe the buyer might have canceled.. maybe he was getting nervous he didn't have a ticket 7 days before the show. But the listing, and more importantly email from the sale said:
"Congratulations, you've sold your tickets!
  • You should have your tickets by 09/06/2019.
  • We'll send you a reminder email when it's time to upload."

and
"Give your buyer the guarantee of an awesome event by transferring the tickets to them by 09/06/2019."
62strat
AG
Specifically the email received on 8/29 says:

"The tickets sold for this order were listed incorrectly. Because the buyer didn't receive the exact tickets they ordered, this sale was canceled."

Nothing else in the email about cancellation fees, or money that I owe.. nothing.

So that's why my gut feeling is this was result of a buyer cancellation. I have no idea why/how they would have been listed 'incorrectly.' It certainly sold {correctly} 7 weeks before this cancellation.
Duncan Idaho
It is in collections. Any damage that is done is done.

Wait a few months and pull your credit report. If it is on there, dispute it. Repeat every year.

Unless you are lol poor or really young, your credit might take a ding but not enough to drop you from excellent to good or good to low.

Since I am not looking for a new job or to buy a house, I would ignore it completely. But then again, I cut my nose off years ago.
rebag00
AG
It sounds to me from the 8/29 email that they believe you fraudulently advertised the ticket. If the sale was cancelled, I don't know why they are looking for money from you. You may want to review the ticket selling agreement you entered into with SH.
chipotle
I miss flashseats
62strat
AG
Quote:

Since I am not looking for a new job or to buy a house, I would ignore it completely. But then again, I cut my nose off years ago.
I have 800+ credit, and am not buying a house/car any time soon. I really don't want to deal with what is likely some foreign hard to understand accent on the phone for 30+ minutes explaining the timeline of things and why I haven't done anything warranting a cancellation fee and they need to check their records.

If Stubhub contacted me through an email that didn't say 'don't reply to this email, it does not receive replies' perhaps I would have replied and sorted this out through email.. But a phone call? Forget it.
Proposition Joe
Once you expressed to the rep that you had concerns on whether or not you were going to be able to transfer you ticket (fulfill you order), the order was open for cancellation and you were at risk of being hit with non-fulfillment fees.

You should try and argue that the last thing that was agreed upon between you and the rep was that you'd wait until 09/06 to see if you could transfer it, but like with any mega corporation they may have recorded phone call showing otherwise, or they may just stonewall you.
Ginormus Ag
AG
You should bang Stubhub's wife.
toucan82
I want to do a p0rnhub dy/dx of this so bad
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Once you expressed to the rep that you had concerns on whether or not you were going to be able to transfer you ticket (fulfill you order), the order was open for cancellation and you were at risk of being hit with non-fulfillment fees.

Umm.. no. Their contract doesn't specify they can cancel my order if I 'think I might not' be able to fulfill the order.

If/when 9/6 came and I don't fulfill, that's when they can cancel it. I was simply having the conversation before hand to see if I had any other options. In particular, can I get the buyers contact info so I can let him know that I may have to go into venue with him. But alas, they don't give out buyer contact info, so we decided to wait it out.

My order was canceled a week before my deadline of 9/6, and this was several weeks after my conversation with the rep (which was in the forum section of their website, not on the phone).

If they canceled it before my transfer deadline purely based on my fear of possibly not being able to fulfill, then that is on them. I contractually had the right to transfer up until the deadline of 9/6.
62strat
AG
toucan82 said:

I want to do a p0rnhub dy/dx of this so bad
Something something... my deposit was lost and the sperm bank is trying to collect.. something something.
ORAggieFan
You can either call Stubhub or just ignore it. I doubt it affects your credit rating given you didn't give them important details needed.

I've had something similar and ignored. My credit rating is still in the 820s.
Proposition Joe
62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

Umm.. no. Their contract doesn't specify they can cancel my order if I 'think I might not' be able to fulfill the order.

If/when 9/6 came and I don't fulfill, that's when they can cancel it. I was simply having the conversation before hand to see if I had any other options. In particular, can I get the buyers contact info so I can let him know that I may have to go into venue with him. But alas, they don't give out buyer contact info, so we decided to wait it out.

My order was canceled a week before my deadline of 9/6, and this was several weeks after my conversation with the rep (which was in the forum section of their website, not on the phone).

If they canceled it before my transfer deadline purely based on my fear of possibly not being able to fulfill, then that is on them. I contractually had the right to transfer up until the deadline of 9/6.

If there's a forum post where it clearly shows the rep acknowledging you would wait it out until 09/06 then that would serve as pretty easy proof.

However if you listed and sold the ticket as mobile transfer, ultimately you were just delaying the inevitable. Night 2 of Metallica S&M clearly stated they were for fan club members only and no-transfers would be allowed.
Post removed:
by user
62strat
AG
Proposition Joe said:

62strat said:

Proposition Joe said:

If there's a forum post where it clearly shows the rep acknowledging you would wait it out until 09/06 then that would serve as pretty easy proof.

However if you listed and sold the ticket as mobile transfer, ultimately you were just delaying the inevitable. Night 2 of Metallica S&M clearly stated they were for fan club members only and no-transfers would be allowed.
Hence my reaching out to them ahead of time to try and get buyer contact info. Had I succeeded in that, I would have contacted buyer and come up with a meeting place/game plan for him to get in with me. I had no idea when I listed it that stubhub didn't swap contact info between buyer/seller. I assumed it was like ebay, since ebay owns S.H.. On ebay, you get buyer info and can communicate with them. My bad for not maybe researching this somehow before listing. But.. as it turns out, the ticket was transferable after all. The ticket appeared in my account as transferable on the 6th, and on the day of show, I transferred it to the texagger on here, and he got in. Had S.H. not canceled my order, I wouldn't have sold it elsewhere, and I would have transferred it to the buyer on 9/6. But it was canceled beyond my control.

I tried to log in to the stubhub forums to pull up my private messages with the SH rep, but my credentials aren't working. (doesn't work for regular stubhub page either.. they were separate).

I'm thinking they canceled my account.
Proposition Joe
Stubhub isn't going to let you meet up with the buyer, they'll cancel the order and find replacements. And from what I read they didn't open transfer until morning of show so you still would have missed your transfer deadline (though I could be wrong on that).

But ultimately once you brought into question your ability to deliver tickets as promised, they moved forward.

Your best bet is to push that you were given clear acknowledgement from the rep that nothing would be done until 09/06 but seeing as it already got to the point where they sent it to collections I doubt you'll have much luck getting a hold of anyone who cares, and without any kind of email/screenshot proof, you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

But rest easy in knowing credit score is just the financial industry trying to sell you a different product. As long as it's not bad, it will matter very little in your life.
Punked Shank
AG
You keep saying you dont want to waste 30 mins to resolve this on the phone, but 100% certain youve spent over 3x that tines worrying, starting a texags thread, reading responses, responding more, and reading this reply.

62strat
AG
coastsrs said:

You keep saying you dont want to waste 30 mins to resolve this on the phone, but 100% certain youve spent over 3x that tines worrying, starting a texags thread, reading responses, responding more, and reading this reply.

I enjoy reading and writing on texags. I don't enjoy talking to a customer service rep on the phone.

So I called stubhub. It was 15-24 minute wait so I did the call back. They called me back, and I still waited 5 minutes for a rep.

The SH rep reminded me that I did contact the buyer. I remember now, after I spoke with a SH rep through forum about getting buyer info, I ended up seeing the buyer email in the sale page of my listing. Again, I was new to SH, I had no idea you weren't supposed to contact the buyer. On ebay, this is common practice.

I emailed buyer asking if he could meet me outside the venue. I emailed him 3 times, but never heard back from him. In my last email I said if I don't hear back from you we may have an issue because I'm not 100% sure I can mobile transfer the ticket, so it would be best to meet at the venue. My emails were on 7/9-7/17. I received an email on 7/17 (per this guy on the phone.. I kind of remember it but didn't keep it) from SH saying I'm not supposed to contact the buyer. OK.. didn't know that.. duly noted.

Back to phone call today, SH rep says this buyer is a known reseller/flipper, not an end user, and he had already sold it to someone else. (I don't know how you'd make any money, SH takes 25% off buying and selling, so he paid $575 or so, he'd have to sell for $750+ to make any money.. when I sold for $500.)
SH rep said it's in collection company hands now, not Stubhubs. I called collections, and they are marking it as disputed so it will go back to stubhub.

So basically, this buyer of my ticket got freaked out thinking he wasn't going to get his ticket (and in turn be able to give it to his buyer) since I was saying this may have to be canceled if you don't agree to meet me outside the venue, and so on 8/29, (more than a month after my attempted email communication with him) he had SH cancel my order. HE Canceled the order, still before my deadline to upload the ticket. Sure, I threatened that I wasn't 100% sure I can transfer the ticket, but I never canceled it, and it was still a week before my deadline to upload.

No way I owe them $500 when we he canceled the order due to his own fear. He was reselling a ticket that he didn't even have yet.. kinda like me, except my ticket was from the source; ticketmaster, so I was 100% sure I would have one. He can't say the same. That's his problem, not mine.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.