Job in Anchorage, Alaska

6,302 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cavok
Ag_SGT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You should see the half finished roads in Gainesville, FL
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Ag_SGT
AG
I was going to PM but it doesn't look like I can, I'd gladly discuss it with you if you'd like
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Oldmanriver
Do it...
Drive the ALCAN highway...do not rush, I did 4K+ miles in 5 days, should've planned better...Canada is spectacular
Do it...
Work around the Salmon runs too...don't miss out on the Kings in June, unpacking can wait for September after the silvers and reds...
Do it...

OMR
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Alaska is fun. For a week or two.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Ag_SGT said:

I was going to PM but it doesn't look like I can, I'd gladly discuss it with you if you'd like
No big deal. It's just something that I've seen mis-represented/faked so many times. Sounds like it genuinely benefits your wife. Her story could help change the minds of ultra-conservatives like myself. I've got a childhood friend who just started using edibles for dealing with pain from numerous sports injuries and he's just nonstop on FB about how great it is which makes me kind of skeptical. Mostly because his primary bent is that it's the drug companies keeping it illegal man.

With respect to moving to the 49th State, as others have mentioned, coming from the Lower 48, the day length, expenses, etc. are going to be a major adjustment. I have a childhood friend from Saudi Arabia who lives in Wasilla. She worked up there like three summers before she finally took the plunge and stayed through the winter.

Living in Anchorage would be alright. I lived in Valdez for 3 years when I was a kid. It was a 300 mile drive from Anchorage so things were a little different in my small remote town.
falconace
I lived in eagle river growing up. Would move back in a heartbeat.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I grew up in Anchorage. As an adult it would be harder to live there and a lot depends on your personality and the job. I left in '95 to attend A&M and have only been back twice. Winter daylight is limited if you have a standard job, so seeing the sun is a lunch time activity. The Spring that is referred to as "Breakup" for a few reasons and it's the crappiest time of year. Can't do much, waiting like hell for warmer days and sun, everything is wet and muddy.

Summers can be spectacular, but also dependent on the job and if you can get out to enjoy it.

With 20 year hindsight I wish I would have returned for summer jobs while in school. Now I'm looking forward to spending time up there with my wife during the summer to show her around. But Europe would be a cheaper trip.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

But Europe would be a cheaper trip.
Airfare for sure. IIRC, we paid about $1400 per person on United from IAH to ANC. When we went to Paris/Switzerland last year, our flights from IAH to CDG via DFW on AA was $500 per person.
Ag_SGT
AG
The wife and I are also Church going Conservatives, your friend isn't wrong. I've worked in the medical industry for a decade with the VA. We are different because we are bounded by federal law but he isn't wrong, the pharmaceutical industry has definitely done all they can to fight legalized cannabis. My wife's pain management doctors haven't been able to help her over the last few years, she lived in constant pain, prescribed a crap ton of opioids that not only don't help, but tear up her stomach, but she went outside the system to get the MM prescription and the difference was immediate. Next appointment with her regular doctor she was told she could no longer receive care there because they don't recognize MM prescriptions and immediately cut off her other prescriptions, many of which she needed the MM to live with. It isn't a secret, the doctors will freely admit it, the system locally has an agreement with their various pharma contracts to keep MM out of the treatment plans. Thankfully, a fellow Aggie who is a doctor out here helped us navigate the bs and get her in touch with a doctor covered by my insurance that is not beholden to that agreement. Insurance doesn't cover the MM but at least they still work with her. I personally would never use it, I'm that rare person that weed exacerbated my PTSD related anxiety, but many of the Vets I hang out with were able to give up all their prescriptions due to MM. this should t be a liberal or conservative issue, it should be a patient driven issue. Recreational is entirely different, couldn't care less about that, but medicinal should be legal nation wide.
Arctic Ag
AG
Alaska isn't for everyone, but it can be awesome. Make sure your job will allow you to take advantage of the nice weather....when it happens.

Anchorage isn't all that different from most other large populations of people in the USA. Malls, big box stores, crime, loads of crap you don't need. Your biggest issues will be planning travel "outside" and shipping discrimination from online vendors.

Pick up a hobby or 10 that work with Alaska and you can enjoy it.

Weather and daylight issues in ANC ain't so bad
Ag_SGT
AG
It's a government job, if it is anything like my current one, I should be able to take advantage but if not I would definitely have to rethink
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the insight. Glad to hear your wife is being helped. I have heard a lot of folks talk about the downsides of opioids outweighing the pain relief.
cavok
AG
I lived in Anchorage for 7 years after living in McGrath, AK for about 8 months. Anchorage is GREAT!! Agreed that Alaska isn't for everyone but if you have any sense of adventure and willing to explore and make the most of your time, you'll make lifelong memories.

What eventually drove me and my wife back to the Lower 48 was two main things that have been discussed already so I'll just reiterate. The cost of living in Anchorage is such that we could not afford the kind of house we wanted. Once we had children, I desperately wanted to spread out more. I think long-time Alaskans have the mentality that their house is just a jumping off point to the real reason they live there, the outdoors. I wanted more though.

The second reason was distance from family. Again, once we had children and our parents began having health issues, it was just too far away. We looked back at the Lower 48 and settled in Spokane, WA which we think is the perfect fit for our lifestyle and proximity to family.

Best of luck!!

We're actually taking the family back up to Anchorage this summer for the first time since we moved and we call CAN'T WAIT!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.