Job in Anchorage, Alaska

6,313 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cavok
Ag_SGT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Posted this on the Around the Nation page but that doesn't get much traffic so I figured I'd post it here. Not putting the cart before the horse but there is a job in Anchorage, AK I'm qualified for and would enjoy but the idea of moving to Alaska from Florida is a little daunting. First off, I want out of Florida for somewhere in the mountains but Alaska seems a little extreme. No matter what, I'd travel there beforehand to see it for myself but I wondered if any of y'all had any experience up there? I don't think it would be long term, but I think it would be a good 8-10 year job to make some good money before returning to somewhere in the Appalachians to finish up my professional career. Any advice would be much appreciated.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Shakes the Clown
I'll be up there in 6 weeks.

If you're not married, just do it!

concac
AG
jetescamilla on the Outdoors board lives there. Might try asking there.
TxAg20
AG
How do you feel about very long and very short days?

I've never lived in Alaska, but have visited many times. The transplants I've talked to say the tough part is getting used to the short days of winter with 17+ hours of darkness. You get just the opposite in the Summer though.
Ag_SGT
AG
RealTalk said:

jetescamilla on the Outdoors board lives there. Might try asking there.
Thank you, I will look them up
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Ag_SGT
AG
I think I'd be ok with that but I don't know that anyone could answer that without experiencing it. I will say though, that for around a year after 9-11 I worked the night shift while in the Army so I essentially experienced little sun and mostly dark and was good back then but who knows now.
Bird Poo
AG
I would do this in a heartbeat. Make a ton of memories and could probably get a good deal on a summer cabin for when you head back South.
Hey Nav
AG
I lived in Anchorage for 4 years back in the day (Air Force assignment). I never experienced the cabin fever thing since I traveled to every conceivable corner of the state, and then plenty of trips back "outside" and all over the Pacific.

Anchorage weather is actually pretty mild, unlike the interior of the state.

IF you like being outdoors, it's Heaven On Earth.
Bill Bigfoot
AG
Lived there for 6 years...would move back in a heartbeat if I had a job lined up. Headed there this summer with the wife and wish she'd fall into a job up there so we could move back.
Ag_SGT
AG
I was told it is pretty expensive, like Hawaii expensive. It's a federal job so there isn't a lot of room for negotiation on salary, would $125k go far up there? I'm not talking some lavish lifestyle, just looking for some acreage and a small cabin or house.
Hey Nav
AG
Can't answer that, as I'm not up to date on the current situation there.

But here's some economic data:

http://live.laborstats.alaska.gov/col/col.pdf
aggiederelict
I grew up in Anchiorage, Alaska so I am biased. I interviewed there after grad school and I hadn't been back in years. It was like almost nothing had changed. Freaked me out a bit.

People visit Alaska in the summer and think they want to move there. I tell them to visit in Feb and if they still love it, then go for it.

If you love the outdoors, then Alaska can't be beat. But the winters, even though in Anchorage are mild, can be really difficult if you are used to a lot of sunshine. People really do struggle with the lack of light in the winter. It can mess with your head.

In the end, I could never move back to Alaska. It is a great place to be from but the distance from everything makes it difficult to see family. Colorado offers much of the beauty and noticeably more sunshine. And it so much closer to everything.

I found Alaska to be very homogonized. The lack of diversity made me not want to move back. But i do love the independent spirit that Alaskans have. They take care of you if they 'know' you. If you aren't one of them, then it is a different experience.

If you are single the dating scene is rough. Not many good looking women in Alaska honestly. If you have a family, then it eases that transition.

And yes you are correct. It is very expensive there. The cost of goods can be quite shocking at first.

Just wanted to provide a bit more perspective.

nonameag99
Do you like earthquakes?
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
torrid
AG
Visited Alaska for a couple weeks in early September and loved it. Don't think I would survive the winter.
aTm2004
AG
I spent a little over a week in Alaska about 6-7 years ago. My wife and I arrived into ANC around mid-July and the high was 49 that day.
Ag_SGT
AG
Thanks, that is the type of stuff I was wanting to know from a cons perspective. I felt that isolation when I was stationed in Hawaii but it really didn't bother me that much. I hate traveling so being that it was Hawaii, family always wanted to fly there rather than me travel to VA which was a bonus. I could see that being the same in AK. I was surprised to see the average airfare to my folks in VA and my wife's in AZ, is actually cheaper than from where I am in FL. The daylight thing is the one thing I just don't know about, I don't know if it would be similar to when I worked the night shift and was only awake a few hours during daylight or not. In that area what is the timeframe of the worst of it, would it be about 6 hours of daylight at it's worst in Dec & Jan?
zephyr88
AG
Shakes the Clown said:

I'll be up there in 6 weeks.

If you're not married, just do it!
another successful TexAgs hookup... congrats you two!
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

I found Alaska to be very homogonized. The lack of diversity made me not want to move back. But i do love the independent spirit that Alaskans have. They take care of you if they 'know' you. If you aren't one of them, then it is a different experience.

I noticed they were jealous as hell of Texas and our awesomeness. A lot of little brother syndrome in the shops we visited in Anchorage. That said, driving through Denali is awesome.
Bones08
AG
The driving around Denali and other parks/nature around the area would make moving to Anchorage a pretty easy choice for me.

That being said I could probably only do 2 or 3 years before moving back.
agz win
AG
Honestly, it'd be too far away to make Aggie football games. Shirley, you can find similar employment in a closer state?
Ag_SGT
AG
One of the factors is that I have to be somewhere with legal Medical Marijuana for the wife, which is one reason states like GA, NC, VA, & TN aren't options. Quite literally my wife wouldn't be able to get out of bed without it due to the pain fibromyalgia causes her. So states where it is legal is a big factor but I'm not a fan of CO, WA or OR. Utah is another state I keep watching for though.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Recreational MJ is also legal. You don't need a scrip to walk into a smoke shop and pick up some Northern Lights or Alaskan Thunderfook.
Ag_SGT
AG
Not my thing and the medical stuff works differently than everyday stuff. She doesn't like the high feeling, which most of the recreational stuff gives a person. She doesn't feel functional on that stuff.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Either way, good luck to you.

I have a buddy that is a fishing guide in Ketchikan. He bugs out in October of every year, to go guide in North Carolina, because he is unwilling to deal with the brutal winters any longer. And that's way farther south than Anchorage.
Dad
AG
This thread makes me want to visit Alaska in the summer.

To the OP, I think you should go for it. If it sucks, you can always change your mind and find another job.
Rongagin71
AG
nonameag99 said:

Do you like earthquakes?
My Geology prof (in 1970) said Anchorage is built on the proverbial bowl full of jelly.
Ag_SGT
AG
I'm a geographer so I studied a lot of geology as part of that degree, your prof isn't wrong. I've dealt with them before, but everywhere has things to worry about. I tell you what though, I never want to deal with another hurricane again
Hey Nav
AG
My oldest daughter still remembers a little earthquake in Anchorage one night that caused her to fall out of her bed

That 1964 earthquake was pretty amazing. Just think about the Cook Inlet losing water and then it coming back.

wbt5845
AG
The weather in Anchorage is very much like the weather in Seattle. A little colder in the winter.

Yeah, the very long nights in the winter is the biggest ass kicker. Sun coming up about 10 AM - at noon it says F it. And it's down by 2:00-2:30.

It's also expensive as hell. Don't be seduced by a higher salary until you ascertain how much more it'll cost to live there.

murphyag
AG
Not sure if this is true or not, but I've been told that cold weather is bad for people with fibromyalgia. A co-worker had a cousin move to Texas from South Dakota because her doctor told her that living in a warmer climate was easier on fibromyalgia patients. Might be something to look into regarding your wife before you make the move up there.
Ag_SGT
AG
murphyag said:

Not sure if this is true or not, but I've been told that cold weather is bad for people with fibromyalgia. A co-worker had a cousin move to Texas from South Dakota because her doctor told her that living in a warmer climate was easier on fibromyalgia patients. Might be something to look into regarding your wife before you make the move up there.
I will have to look into that
HollywoodBQ
AG
Hey Nav said:

That 1964 earthquake was pretty amazing. Just think about the Cook Inlet losing water and then it coming back.
The Good Friday 9.2M quake wiped my town off the map. They literally relocated the city of Valdez after that.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
HollywoodBQ
AG
If legal Mary Jane is part of your criteria, you might out Nevada. No state income tax either.

On a separate thread, I would like to know about your wife's medical usage. I lived in Los Angeles where medical marijuana was a joke so I am curious to hear about somebody who actually benefits medically.

I don't know what the distinction is between medical and recreational these days as far as are there many still states that are medical yes, recreational no?

Alaska is a different way of life if you choose to go that way.
TTUArmy
The roads in Anchorage will give your cars/trucks cancer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.