Aunt Becky to prison

21,038 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zemira
PoohAh97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, that'd be fine. Hilarious, too.
Serious Lee
Al Bula
AG
queso1 said:

Aunt Becky is one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived.
overrated
quanah
AliasMan02 said:

So, maybe an unpopular opinion, but what would be actually wrong with paying a school cash to admit your kid, as long as it was a private school? It's private. It doesn't really owe anyone any level of actual fairness. Bad optics, sure, but still within the bounds of the discretion of a private entity, right?

I think the issue with that is even private universities receive a lot of federal funding.
Not a Bot
AG
AliasMan02 said:

So, maybe an unpopular opinion, but what would be actually wrong with paying a school cash to admit your kid, as long as it was a private school? It's private. It doesn't really owe anyone any level of actual fairness. Bad optics, sure, but still within the bounds of the discretion of a private entity, right?
I'm sure that happens all the time.

In this case, though, they weren't paying the school. They were defrauding the school by paying other people to falsify admissions data to have a better chance at getting admitted.
Dad
AG
For the amount some of the parents spent a direct donation to the school probably gets their kid in and is not only legal but encouraged by most schools.
expresswrittenconsent
aggie-master said:

For the amount some of the parents spent a direct donation to the school probably gets their kid in and is not only legal but encouraged by most schools.

The implication was that the legit donation route was going to cost 10x more.
Zemira
AG
So my number one question is if you have to bribe someone to get your kid into college, then how in the hell are they going to stay in college? Especially if they don't attend class, party, drink and make failing grades? You gonna bribe all of their professors through 4 years?
BostonAg74
It's times like these that we should be thankful for John Sharp's forward thinking vision, ensuring that this kind of scandal could never include A&M.
Fairview
AG
It worked for Thornton Melon.

MonkeyKnifeFighter
BostonAg74
Pretty much.
Turf96
We are worried about a few Hollywood elites bending rules to get kids in yet we allow illegals to plug up the college systems on a daily basis? Talk about inconsistency. Sad when people do stupid stuff but worse when your economic level allows so many to turn a blind eye. You think if this was illegals forging paperwork we would hear about this?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tomdoss92
AG
Fairview said:

It worked for Thornton Melon.

Right, Phil,
but I'd just like to say...

in all fairness
to Mr. Melon here...

it was a really big check.

mike_ags_fan12
Aunt Becky released on one million dollar bond

Equivalent to Two semesters.
RAB91
Shife said:

queso1 said:

Aunt Becky is one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived.
overrated
Do you know how we know you're gay?

Since she's now the queen of the Hallmark Network, they may have a new reality show on their hands (if she ever does in a day in prison). I don't know why, but I just don't care that they did this.
Duckhook
AG
Turf96 said:

We are worried about a few Hollywood elites bending rules to get kids in yet we allow illegals to plug up the college systems on a daily basis? Talk about inconsistency. Sad when people do stupid stuff but worse when your economic level allows so many to turn a blind eye. You think if this was illegals forging paperwork we would hear about this?

There's a separate forum for this hand wringing.
coupland boy
AG
aTm2004 said:

MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I can't imagine someone smart enough to have that much money being stupid enough to pay $400k to get your kid admitted to a particular college.

Do you think the kids/grandkids of people who's name is in a building don't get preference?

This is a good point and I was talking with the wife about this last night. Assuming someone's kid got in because of such a donation is it really any different from the parents' actions?

The answer is that at least the school got a benefit as opposed to individuals taking bribes and gaining personally.
aTm2004
AG
coupland boy said:

aTm2004 said:

MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I can't imagine someone smart enough to have that much money being stupid enough to pay $400k to get your kid admitted to a particular college.

Do you think the kids/grandkids of people who's name is in a building don't get preference?

This is a good point and I was talking with the wife about this last night. Assuming someone's kid got in because of such a donation is it really any different from the parents' actions?

The answer is that at least the school got a benefit as opposed to individuals taking bribes and gaining personally.
I think that is the biggest difference. With the donation, it's the schools decision to accept them based on their actual credentials. With what come to light recently, that often wasn't the case and they were accepting kids based on false scores/abilities.
coupland boy
AG
Accidentally hit the angry face

I'm happy today
aglaohfour
AG
I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be mad about this or not. I mostly just think it's hilarious that all these people got caught when they clearly thought they were outsmarting the system. But to an extent it seems like a victimless crime, and the fact that the FBI spent so much time and money investigating it is crazy to me.

Also, all this whining about how there shouldn't be an uneven playing field in favor of the wealthy is absurd. That's life. You have an advantage in every single aspect of life if you're wealthy. Don't like it, make more money.
Tomdoss92
AG
coupland boy
AG
Agoodlittleag04 said:

I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be mad about this or not. I mostly just think it's hilarious that all these people got caught when they clearly thought they were outsmarting the system. But to an extent it seems like a victimless crime, and the fact that the FBI spent so much time and money investigating it is crazy to me.

Also, all this whining about how there shouldn't be an uneven playing field in favor of the wealthy is absurd. That's life. You have an advantage in every single aspect of life if you're wealthy. Don't like it, make more money.

While I agree with you that money gives you an advantage in every aspect of life, I disagree that this was a victimless crime. I'm assuming for every person that gets in because of these types of efforts someone got displaced or denied admission.

What's wrong about this is the people with money failed to take advantage of their, well, advantage and then had to resort to a high level of cheating.
quanah
Cut it out
Stat Monitor Repairman
Is that Full House reboot still going?

Maybe they could incorporate it into the storyline.

Who knows, maybe they will try and slip in a 'new' Becky lookalike like they did with Rosanne Becky, Coy and Vance on Dukes of Hazard and John from CHiPs.
agdidastech11
AG
Should have just come to A&M...we let everybody in!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Aunt Becky is a crook.
Dr.Huxtable is a sexual predator.
My youth has been one big lie.

If Erkle ends up some sort of crook I am not sure my moral foundation could handle it.
coupland boy
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Aunt Becky is a crook.
Dr.Huxtable is a sexual predator.
My youth has been one big lie.

If Erkle ends up some sort of crook I am not sure my moral foundation could handle it.

Not that I ever watched his show but that PeeWee Herman dude pleasured hisself too.
expresswrittenconsent
coupland boy said:

Agoodlittleag04 said:

While I agree with you that money gives you an advantage in every aspect of life, I disagree that this was a victimless crime. I'm assuming for every person that gets in because of these types of efforts someone got displaced or denied admission.

What's wrong about this is the people with money failed to take advantage of their, well, advantage and then had to resort to a high level of cheating.
yeah, mostly victimless but every one of these kids took the spot of a deserving student.
infinity ag
I find it hard to understand how parents raise their kids to be rotten spoiled brats. There are videos of Laughlin's daughter saying how she was in college only for partying. She's a kid, but what about her 50+ year old parents?
infinity ag
agdidastech11 said:

Should have just come to A&M...we let everybody in!

You see, we aren't in the list with schools like Stanford, UT, Yale and USC.

I hope I am alive to see the day when people commit crimes to get into Texas A&M.
I hope I see days when parents bribe our football coach, basketball coach and soccer coach.
Not a Bot
AG
$1 million bond is insane. #freebecky
Slicer97
AG
infinity ag said:

I find it hard to understand how parents raise their kids to be rotten spoiled brats. There are videos of Laughlin's daughter saying how she was in college only for partying. She's a kid, but what about her 50+ year old parents?

You have to realize they're being raised by a woman who earned a good living mainly by being and staying pretty. Not a real strong correlation between that and the development of life skills.
PoohAh97
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

yeah, mostly victimless but every one of these kids took the spot of a deserving student.
Eh, slow down... They at best took the spot of a deserving student athlete. Water polo and crew and sailing teams are country-club sports anyway. They were gonna be A-okay to begin with.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.