Aunt Becky to prison

21,047 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Zemira
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

MonkeyKnifeFighter
Duncan Idaho
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I can't imagine someone smart enough to have that much money being stupid enough to pay $400k to get your kid admitted to a particular college.

In that case, it is clear that you know exactly zero people that are the grandkids of someone that made a fortune.
aTm2004
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I can't imagine someone smart enough to have that much money being stupid enough to pay $400k to get your kid admitted to a particular college.

Do you think the kids/grandkids of people who's name is in a building don't get preference?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

what's crazy to me is that they went with the direct bribe route.

If you have that much money, I assume getting your kid admitted is as easy as making the right donations, showing up at the right galas/dinners, glad handing the right people, and voila! Your questionable/borderline kid is going to Yale.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

LOL

You see all those folks' names on all those buildings on all those college campus' all across the country?

What do you think that does for those folks' kids and grand kids?
Serious Lee
Quote:

If you have that much money, I assume getting your kid admitted is as easy as making the right donations, showing up at the right galas/dinners, glad handing the right people, and voila! Your questionable/borderline kid is going to Yale
maybe they already tried that. makes you wonder just how dumb laughlins daughters are
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Either they're that dumb or their parents just didn't want to buy USC an international airport.
P.C. Principal
How stupid can you be Aunt Becky? Use that money to pay for an amazing SAT tutor and encourage your kid to actually work for it.
Serious Lee
so they are like....really dumb

Celee04
AG
aTm2004 said:

MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

Do you think the kids/grandkids of people who's name is in a building don't get preference?
I actually know 2 prominent A&M building kids who had to go through that summer school pre-admission provisional program. Would have expected them to have "auto-admit, any major you want" stars on their applications.

EDIT: Not to say they didn't have preferential treatment even getting that option.
Duncan Idaho
Walt Luddiger said:

so they are like....really dumb

That quote makes me more upset than the actual crime.

Years ago my department had a female mormon intern from a very conservative family. It absolutely infuriated me that we wasted a spot on this chick that was never going to join the work force. She clearly stated that she was going to marry her boyfriend the weekend after they graduated and be a stay at home mother.

I mean good for her but don't waste a limited number of college spots or internship opportunities when you have no interest in using them.

If the kid in the qoute was going to UC Santa Barbara or ASU or SWT, I wouldnt care, but her taking a spot at USC is pretty damn disgusting.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I actually know 2 prominent A&M building kids who had to go through that summer school pre-admission provisional program. Would have expected them to have "auto-admit, any major you want" stars on their applications.

EDIT: Not to say they didn't have preferential treatment even getting that option.
Those kinds of admissions started coming under a lot of scrutiny by the 90's (if not sooner).

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

Those kinds of admissions started coming under a lot of scrutiny by the 90's (if not sooner).
The pushback isn't a shock, but when push comes to shove, money is money. The detente they probably reached was that the cash will keep flowing and you give our kids a summer to prove themselves.
uneedastraw
This happens a lot. Regular joes with cash in the bank pay "consultants" to get an edge for their kids admission into certain colleges. This isn't a new thing and isn't just for the super rich or famous.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
what is this? Rich people are treated differently?

Shocked I tell ya. I'm shocked

Totally shocked.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Aunt Becky in an HBO late night women's prison movie...

Have mercy!
Not a Bot
AG
She's being charged with mail fraud. Up to 20 years but will never get close to that.

She got off light with that charge -- some of the worst offenders are being charged with racketeering, which can be up to 20 years and sentencing guidelines are tougher.
The Collective
AG
Where did Nicky and Alex go to college?
The Collective
AG
Cactus Jack said:

She's being charged with mail fraud. Up to 5 years.

PoohAh97
AG
I guess NCAA would be annoyed if athletic departments just made this a routine fundraising event, without the bother of having to glue dozens of names onto (for example) Reed Arena.
Cancelled
AG
Aunt Becky is one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived.
PoohAh97
AG
queso1 said:

Aunt Becky is one of the most beautiful women to have ever lived.
Her daughter is hot too. Turns out neither of them mention this turn of events on Instagram.
Agmechanic
AG
If the NCAA had balls they'd come down on these schools biblically. Make the punishment so severe that no one would dare.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
Not a Bot
AG
Cactus Jack said:

She's being charged with mail fraud. Up to 5 years.

She got off light with that charge -- some of the worst offenders are being charged with racketeering, which can be up to 20 years.
Used a bad source - the mail fraud is up to 20 years but no one in this case will come close to that. The guidelines for her situation will likely call for 0-6 months.
BostonAg74
What is it about USC? This reminds me of that incident with the Walton granddaughter a few years ago where she paid someone to do virtually all her assignments for the entire four years she was at USC. She ended up having to give back her degree when she was found out. No wonder they call it The University of Spoiled Children.

Not a Bot
AG
If you ever wanted to know how federal judges are guided in terms of how to determine sentences: https://www.sentencing.us/
Beer Baron
AG
All those years living in a small attic apartment with a person with a mullet have prepared her well for prison.
aTm2004
AG
Celee04 said:

aTm2004 said:

MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

I know somebody who's grandpa has his name on a building at Baylor, who started and Baylor and transferred to A&M because Baylor sucks.
infinity ag
P.C. Principal said:

How stupid can you be Aunt Becky? Use that money to pay for an amazing SAT tutor and encourage your kid to actually work for it.

Yeah, why do some people think they can just throw money and buy everything?
Canyon99
AG
Aunt Becky gets better looking with age. Post her up on the mugshawtys thread.
infinity ag

Quote:

Numerous schools were targeted, including Georgetown University, Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California and UCLA, among others.

So we don't seem to be targeted. So does that mean that we are not good enough?

Or are we grouped in "among others"

PoohAh97
AG
infinity ag said:

Quote:

Numerous schools were targeted, including Georgetown University, Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California and UCLA, among others.

So we don't seem to be targeted. So does that mean that we are not good enough?

Or are we grouped in "among others"

[a joke] The rest of Texags would probably speak up when they pored through the records of high school kids that just signed to play women's lacrosse, but had never posted pictures of themselves playing women's lacrosse, and who did not go to a high school where women's lacrosse was played, and also they were super-rich and 18-year-old boys.

That said, they would insist that this young man would put A&M Women's Lacrosse on the MAP.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

The pushback isn't a shock, but when push comes to shove, money is money. The detente they probably reached was that the cash will keep flowing and you give our kids a summer to prove themselves.
The talk I remember hearing was that administrators and faculty believed - rightly or wrongly - that we had a reputation as a legacy school, which was hurting the academic reputation. This was the Vision 2020 era. I was neither a legacy nor a rich kid, but the impression I got from friends who did check both boxes was that the old men would try to work around it by swapping very strong recommendations for the kids.
AliasMan02
AG
So, maybe an unpopular opinion, but what would be actually wrong with paying a school cash to admit your kid, as long as it was a private school? It's private. It doesn't really owe anyone any level of actual fairness. Bad optics, sure, but still within the bounds of the discretion of a private entity, right?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.