Teens Are Protesting In-Class Presentations

9,080 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aeon-ag
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Students who support abolishing in-class presentations argue that forcing students with anxiety to present in front of their peers is not only unfair because they are bound to underperform and receive a lower grade, but it can also cause long-term stress and harm.

"Nobody should be forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable," says Ula, a 14-year-old in eighth grade, who, like all students quoted, asked to be referred to only by her first name. "Even though speaking in front of class is supposed to build your confidence and it's part of your schoolwork, I think if a student is really unsettled and anxious because of it you should probably make it something less stressful. School isn't something a student should fear."

To the thousands of teens who support the effort to do away with in-class presentations (at least enough to like a tweet about it), anxiety is no small issue. Students said they understood why older people might tell them to "suck it up," but that doing so was unproductive. Some responses to the most recent viral tweet, though, noted that giving a presentation in spite of anxiety might reduce a student's fear of public speaking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/09/teens-think-they-shouldnt-have-to-speak-in-front-of-the-class/570061/
Geralt of Rivia
S
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I agree. If they don't want to participate don't make them. Just give them a 0% and move along.
Double Talkin' Jive...
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
My children are going to dominate their generation in a huge way. It will be glorious
Esteban du Plantier
AG
School is training and training sucks.

To paraphrase Goggins: take whatever you hate and do that until you're the best. He hated pullups, so he trained and set the 24 hour pullup record.

So if you hate public speaking, you need to do a lot more, not less, public speaking.

LupinusTexensis
Doing things that make you feel uncomfortable makes you grow. Good luck in life if you never do anything that makes you nervous.
tlh3842
AG
The real world is F-ed once it's full of just these kids who are too uncomfortable to speak in front of their grade school class.
quanah
Quote:

"Nobody should be forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable," says Ula, a 14-year-old in eighth grade, who, like all students quoted, asked to be referred to only by her first name.

Smart thinking using only her first name, that way no one will know which Ula said that.
TecRecAg
AG
I work in sales and I have all the confidence in the world that my job won't be taken by a kid fresh out of school. They're too scared to call and order pizza for God sakes.
Arthur Stilwell
quanah said:

Quote:

"Nobody should be forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable," says Ula, a 14-year-old in eighth grade, who, like all students quoted, asked to be referred to only by her first name.

Smart thinking using only her first name, that way no one will know which Ula said that.
Someone should introduce her to Opah.
Flashdiaz
AG
will it be though? take a look around at the real world. The real world is catering to these folks. Every subsequent generation has it easier than the one before it.

That being said, the tougher ones will dominate while the softer ones whine about it.
DrZ
AG
From our current perspective our children will "dominate". But we don't know what the future holds. They may be punished.
chipotle
I never liked being forced to present and while I understand completely their intentions I firmly believe that those little accidents need to get their asses up there and suck it up because I had to do that s*** too.
Flashdiaz
AG
I hated public speaking too but the class at A&M is one of the few good ones I remember.
AgEng06
AG
All interviewees w/ our company have to give a technical presentation as part of the interview process. Guess that will keep us from having to hire any of these whiners.
Humorous Username
AG
AgEng06 said:

All interviewees w/ our company have to give a technical presentation as part of the interview process. Guess that will keep us from having to hire any of these whiners.

How hard can it be to get up in front of large swaths of people and say, "I'm an engineer, which means I know a lot more about math than regular people, and I think I can do everything better than they can"?
CDUB98
AG
I'm not very good at public speaking either, and get rather nervous, like many.

However, rather than whine, I'm now in Toastmasters to improve myself.

Bunch of pansy asses.
Shoefly!
AG
Arthur Stilwell said:

quanah said:

Quote:

Someone should introduce her to Opah.

Ahaha, yea Opah is in the Hill Country, she can teach you how to speak with a Chech accent. But in all seriousness pushing your limits is all about growth.
It's the same as seeing your classmates cross the stage because they busted their butts to achieve awards. This too has been addressed & in our school district it has been abolished, very sad.
Ragoo
AG
All it will take is a charismatic politician and these ******* will elect a dictator.
BombayAg
I grew up in India and in school we did not have to do presentations. I had never heard of one. In my final year of Engineering undergrad, we had to present a project that we did and while most of us were pathetic, I was abysmal. This was the first presentation I did at 21. I didn't know how to make a slide (transparency) and I was too fast talking as I was nervous speaking to a crowd of just 5 people. I had similar problems at A&M when a Prof made us present on a topic. Gradually I got better but the fear never goes away completely.

My son was born and raised in the US and does presentations all the time and is like a pro presenting. He started high school this year and has joined Debate so will get better. Most American raised folks are good at communicating.

Communication skills are CRUCIAL and CRITICAL. You may be smarter than Einstein but if you cannot communicate your ideas, you will not succeed. These kids complaining will be left behind in life.
AliasMan02
AG
Quote:

Nobody should be forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable,

And there you have it. The summary of the world view of a whole generation. Well done, Ula.
80s Guy
So a personal story. My daughter hated speaking in public and avoided it everywhere. In HS, she was asked to be the stage manager for their one act play and as usually happens, kids dropped out and she ended up with a speaking part on stage. Ever since then, she conquered her fear of it and now can stand in front of 50-500 and give a great speech whether it be written ahead or off the cuff.

You just have to get up there and do it a few times to realize that it's not difficult.
Duncan Idaho
Fyi. It is impossible to take anyone named Ula seriously.
CajunAg97
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
I hate public speaking and presentations.

I do them at work just to get them over with. As such, I am RARELY asked to give them because they are so terrible. I'm a slide reader and don't particularly give two ****s otherwise.
Zemira
AG
So so so dumb.

Did I hate getting up in front of a class and speaking? Hell yes.

Did I suffer through a speech class in high school and college? Yes

Did I have a problem getting up in front of work colleagues to give a presentation? No. I worked through my anxiety by doing it repeatedly in school.

A bunch of sissy wimps in Generation Z.
Humorous Username
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I do them at work just to get them over with. As such, I am RARELY asked to give them because they are so terrible. I'm a slide reader and don't particularly give two ****s otherwise.

Best advice I got about speaking: If you're just going to read the slides, then the company only needs to pay for PowerPoint, not you.
Humorous Username
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Fyi. It is impossible to take anyone named Ula seriously.

Had a girl named Ula in one of my business classes at A&M. Great rack. Terrible group project member.
rooftop18403
Swarely said:

"Nobody should be forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable,"

It was awfully uncomfortable when a generation a young men were forced to go to war.
Duncan Idaho
BrazosDog02 said:

Definitely something I would brag about
ellebee
Oh **** off Ula
Alpha Texan
AG
Communication and Presentation are irrelevant in today's jobs anyway
Ag_07
AG
TecRecAg said:

I work in sales and I have all the confidence in the world that my job won't be taken by a kid fresh out of school. They're too scared to call and order pizza for God sakes.

Cmon man...Calling for pizza is completely irrelevant nowadays.

Username definitely doesn't check out.
PatAg
AG
Don't start making quality posts now.
Woody2006
AG
LupinusTexensis said:

Doing things that make you feel uncomfortable makes you grow. Good luck in life if you never do anything that makes you nervous.
Listen up, ladies. Perfect description as to why you should be doing anal.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.