Teens Are Protesting In-Class Presentations

9,091 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aeon-ag
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PatAg said:

Don't start making quality posts now.

Well Sir, horses for courses, as they say. Why waste my intelligence in the GB?
GB usually gets GB-worthy posts. Other boards like Business & Investing or Health get posts befitting the status of the board.

The zoo gonna zoo.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I give my students a choice to present or not. I also clearly mark the presentation points on the rubric. Their choice to get a zero in that space.
jah003
S
This is the exact reason my students are required to participate in science fair. Don't want to present...? Ok... you aren't passing my class.
Chickenhawk
Woody2006 said:

LupinusTexensis said:

Doing things that make you feel uncomfortable makes you grow. Good luck in life if you never do anything that makes you nervous.
Listen up, ladies. Perfect description as to why you should be doing anal.

MouthBQ98
AG
This is why adults should listen to kids, then pretty much ignore them and make adult decisions.
ellebee
Sometimes I don't feel comfortable going to work. I would feel more comfortable sleeping some more. Work triggers me. Life triggers me. Pay my bills for me.
The Fife
BrazosDog02 said:

I hate public speaking and presentations.

I do them at work just to get them over with. As such, I am RARELY asked to give them because they are so terrible. I'm a slide reader and don't particularly give two ****s otherwise.
Humblebrag!

Look at me, I don't have to present stuff
WES2006AG
AG
School is supposed to be challenging and make you feel uncomfortable at times. Overcoming something you are uncomfortable with is a skill that needs to be taught. Otherwise we end up with a generation of kids who shut down the moment something becomes challenging or frustrating.
Flashdiaz
AG
don't hate on kids who strive to be average... not everyone can be a leader. we need worker bees.
CDUB98
AG
The world needs ditch diggers too.

And nowadays, they actually make decent money.
Ag03 CQE
AG
Dr. Nefario
CDUB98 said:

The world needs ditch diggers too.

And nowadays, they actually make decent money.

****ing unions.
Zemira
AG
What if math or English give kids anxiety?

Just ridiculous!
AliasMan02
AG
Zemira said:

What if math or English give kids anxiety?

Just ridiculous!

Almost everything gives me anxiety and I still have to do stuff.
Old_Ag_91
AG
Wow what a bunch of *******. The Chinese will beat their ass some day.
The Dog Lord
AG
BombayAg said:

I grew up in India and in school we did not have to do presentations. I had never heard of one. In my final year of Engineering undergrad, we had to present a project that we did and while most of us were pathetic, I was abysmal. This was the first presentation I did at 21. I didn't know how to make a slide (transparency) and I was too fast talking as I was nervous speaking to a crowd of just 5 people. I had similar problems at A&M when a Prof made us present on a topic. Gradually I got better but the fear never goes away completely.

My son was born and raised in the US and does presentations all the time and is like a pro presenting. He started high school this year and has joined Debate so will get better. Most American raised folks are good at communicating.

Communication skills are CRUCIAL and CRITICAL. You may be smarter than Einstein but if you cannot communicate your ideas, you will not succeed. These kids complaining will be left behind in life.

I tell students this all the time. It starts with an application/resume. You have to communicate in writing why you should get an interview. Then in the interview you have to convince them you are the best person for the position even if you truly are. People con their way into jobs all the time because they are able to sell themselves well.

Same goes for convincing your boss or a superior to listen to you. You may be right, but that doesn't mean they'll act on what you're saying if they're unconvinced. Looking for an investor? You have to sell your idea/product to them.
Dr.Rumack
Philo B 93
By protesting, they ARE presenting. Nice job. C-

They passed. Now sit down and shut up.
BombayAg
Old_Ag_91 said:

The Chinese can't even speak English, but they will manage to learn and even give reasonably good presentations. I admire how hard they work. They may not be too bright or innovative, but they have found a way to be successful by working hard.
BombayAg
The Dog Lord said:

BombayAg said:

I grew up in India and in school we did not have to do presentations. I had never heard of one. In my final year of Engineering undergrad, we had to present a project that we did and while most of us were pathetic, I was abysmal. This was the first presentation I did at 21. I didn't know how to make a slide (transparency) and I was too fast talking as I was nervous speaking to a crowd of just 5 people. I had similar problems at A&M when a Prof made us present on a topic. Gradually I got better but the fear never goes away completely.

My son was born and raised in the US and does presentations all the time and is like a pro presenting. He started high school this year and has joined Debate so will get better. Most American raised folks are good at communicating.

Communication skills are CRUCIAL and CRITICAL. You may be smarter than Einstein but if you cannot communicate your ideas, you will not succeed. These kids complaining will be left behind in life.

I tell students this all the time. It starts with an application/resume. You have to communicate in writing why you should get an interview. Then in the interview you have to convince them you are the best person for the position even if you truly are. People con their way into jobs all the time because they are able to sell themselves well.

Same goes for convincing your boss or a superior to listen to you. You may be right, but that doesn't mean they'll act on what you're saying if they're unconvinced. Looking for an investor? You have to sell your idea/product to them.

Exactly. Life is full of selling, selling and more selling/

We sell ourselves to our prospective mates, to our employers, to our friends... everyone.
If you cannot sell, then you cannot live.
ellebee
BombayAg said:

Old_Ag_91 said:

The Chinese can't even speak English, but they will manage to learn and even give reasonably good presentations. I admire how hard they work. They may not be too bright or innovative, but they have found a way to be successful by working hard.

Well based on the OP, English will be too hard to learn at some point and we won't either.
Change Detection
AG
My first presentation as a professional (not a student) was to Gene Kranz (Apollo 13 fame) during his last year in Management during the shuttle program. I was told that he could read well so just don't read my charts. I was pretty confident doing the presentation because I had done much harder during coursework at A&M. Got my funding!!

I just think of all the future marriage proposals that will be done on Twitter. Bunch of wusses..
aeon-ag
Swarely said:

Quote:

Students who support abolishing in-class presentations argue that forcing students with anxiety to present in front of their peers is not only unfair because they are bound to underperform and receive a lower grade, but it can also cause long-term stress and harm.

"Nobody should be forced to do something that makes them uncomfortable," says Ula, a 14-year-old in eighth grade, who, like all students quoted, asked to be referred to only by her first name. "Even though speaking in front of class is supposed to build your confidence and it's part of your schoolwork, I think if a student is really unsettled and anxious because of it you should probably make it something less stressful. School isn't something a student should fear."

To the thousands of teens who support the effort to do away with in-class presentations (at least enough to like a tweet about it), anxiety is no small issue. Students said they understood why older people might tell them to "suck it up," but that doing so was unproductive. Some responses to the most recent viral tweet, though, noted that giving a presentation in spite of anxiety might reduce a student's fear of public speaking.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/09/teens-think-they-shouldnt-have-to-speak-in-front-of-the-class/570061/
Poor baby's, show them to their safe space!!!!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.