Chili's vs. Applebee's

10,761 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lostrg
IceAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Club Apple for the drinks
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I worked at Applebees in college, outside of Texas, and it was super popular. I made a ton of money on tips back in the day on Friday and Saturday nights.

In Texas their style of food just doesn't resonate as well and they were not as busy.

We went to Applebees last year for a group thing and despite the new menu, Chili's is way better.

Applebees smelled like an old mop and there were a ton of rowdy Spurs fans at the bar, wtf.
Hamburger Dan
FIDO*98* said:

If only they had just stopped here.....sigh

You're absolutely correct. I'm old enough to remember that menu. They did have a better product back then.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Username checks out!
jopatura
AG
I love the Original Chicken Crispers at Chili's. I think I went to Applebee's once in college to meet some friends.

Plus with Chili's rewards program, they usually send me a coupon for a free kid's meal every week, so it makes an easy meal when we want to eat out but can't decide what we want. It's also one of the closest restaurants to us so it's an easy choice.
Jack Cheese
AG
Used to eat at the original chili's on Greenville Avenue in Dallas when I was little. When it was new, the line wrapped around the outside front of the building, snaked past the bar before you got to the hostess stand. They had all the pictures on the wall from Terlingua, but they were real photos... Also had the chalkboard art menu specials.

As a young dude I was most impressed that they had free soft drink refills, only place that I remember doing that at the time. Everywhere else charged for refills. I would load up on 10 Dr Peppers each trip. Good chili, good chili tacos, chips and salsa... It was all good. Eventually they added a 2nd story, before finally expanding to other locations, eventually succumbing to the suckage we have now.

After 2nd story addition, I believe:

Even older menu:
Dr. Faustus
AG
Chili's >>>> Applebee's, but mainly due to memories.

I used to spend more time than I'd care to admit at the Chili's in Eagle Pass, TX. At the time, there were only like 3 places to eat in town that wouldn't immediately give you the runs. When you're rotating down there for two weeks at a time, you end up eating at the same couple of places over and over again. The burgers were always decent/good, and the bar was reliable. We managed to drink them out of Crown on a number of occasions. Gotta make the best of where you're stuck.
Warsteiner
FIDO*98* said:

Oh wow
I remember that menu.
Seven Costanza
AG
Where does TGIF fit in this hierarchy? I haven't been to one of these places in probably 15 years.
Humorous Username
AG
My favorite quote about Applebee's comes from this article on celebrity chef Tyler Florence.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eater.com/platform/amp/2012/11/14/6522339/tyler-florence-defends-3-million-applebees-partnership

Quote:

Applebee's paid me a lot of money, dude they paid me $3 million for 10 recipes and 10 days of my life.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Seven Costanza said:

Where does TGIF fit in this hierarchy? I haven't been to one of these places in probably 15 years.

The one closest to me recently shut down. Falls in-between Applebee's and Chili's. Applebee's is still arguably the worst casual chain out there.
SJEAg
AG
Bennigan's (RIP for the most part) >>>>> Chili's > TGIF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Applebees

Bayside Tiger Ag
Bennigan's fries were kinda weak. Didn't know whether they wanted to be sugary or salty.
bac
AG
I called Applebee's Crapplebee's in a thread last year and the staff deleted my post. Wonder if they'll censor me again.
Humorous Username
AG
bac said:

I called Applebee's Crapplebee's in a thread last year and the staff deleted my post. Wonder if they'll censor me again.

I wonder if Applebee's is Looch's favorite establishment not named The Tap?
chipotle
bac said:

I don't believe you. Staff, please verify because I don't believe you'd be this....s***y.
bac
AG
Oh man. My apologies. I just did a search and found it. I must not know how to internet very well. At least not last year.

OR, did the staff re-post my post due to Chipotle's inquiry? THAT seems more feasible to me!
BostonAg74
FIDO*98* said:

...served in a basket
jetch17
AG
Chicken crispers dipped in awesome blossom batter with AB sauce
Jack Cheese
AG
I want my baby back baby back baby back
I want my baby back baby back baby back

Chiliiiiiiiiis
Baby back riiiiiiibs
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Comic Sans
aeon-ag
BlueDeviledAg said:

Your preference and why? Help me settle this.

I'm surprised by the # of people I meet who seriously believe Applebee's is the better restaurant.

I'll concede that the fajitas at Chili's are awful, BUT everything else at Chili's is objectively better than the **** at Applebee's.
Do either of them provide barf buckets?!
ballchain
OasisMan
AG
I would have a hard time being convinced to eat at either place for free
lostrg
IHOP is better

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.