When did princesses become bad?

6,962 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggieforester05
Dread Pirate Roberts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife watches Man With a Plan (I think its basically because she still has a crush on "Joey"), and the show devoted an episode to the dad being horrible because he bought his daughter a princess dress. It explained that princesses make girls weak.

Why does everything have to be girl power at the expense of everything else?

Can't we teach girls they can be strong and still like princesses? I thought that was the main point of Frozen. Girls should be able to choose what they want and not be forced into "strong" roles. If they want to go into S.T.E.M., sports, etc - great. If they want to play princess, have tea parties, and cook, then great, also.

I have girls, and I want them to be strong, but also do what they want - not follow to 1850s roles or current pc roles. And my daughter that loves princesses, tea parties, and dresses is much stronger than the one that hates girlie things and is a great athlete. I dare some boy or manager to tick her off. Sure, she might have to take her tiara and purse off to fight, but beware: you're about to get hit with the purse and the tiara will be stuck somewhere that will ensure you never doubt her again.
Tatem
tv
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
PBC is still as good as ever!!!
Geralt of Rivia
S
Tatem said:

tv
aTm2004
AG
They became bad the moment I had a daughter and I felt the need to treat her like one and have lost all ability to tell her "no."
3 William 56
AG
Now to the same show and have the dad buy a princess dress for his son and watch all the praise be heaped on the show.
Woody2006
AG
What's wrong with princesses? Have you been with a girl who was raised to think she's a princess?

It's the worst.
Sweet Clementine
AG
I think the perception is that princesses (of the past at least) are damsels in distress that need to be rescued, or are not validated unless they have a prince. The other problem is that you can make a child feel entitled if you adopt the "my little princess" mentality.
With my daughter we didn't push (or really even expose her) to princess stuff, but she picked it up anyway. She loves dresses and tea parties and wearing a crown. I'm fine that she picked it up on her own and she'll spin around and say "I a princess girl!" When she has a dress on. But I will not call her my princess or say "whatever you want princess" because I'm trying to raise a responsible, self sufficient human.
Furlock Bones
AG
SeattleAgJr
DrHeadShrink said:

Some of the time.
Claude!
SeattleAgJr said:

DrHeadShrink said:

Some of the time.

When she is good she is very good
When she is bad she is horrid.
Celee04
AG
nothing wrong with a little girls idyllic view of a princess and pretending to be so. that should have a hard stop at 10 with a healthy understanding that that previously held perception of what a princess is is pure fantasy.

In reality, being an actual princess would truly suck. No privacy, have to be "on" 24/7, weird family dynamics, etc. Who in their right mind would want to go through life without being able to trash it up a every once in a while?

I don't think they get to go tubing down a river drinking beers or spend a full day binge watching entire seasons of Americas Next Top Model, and that my friends is no life for me.
Hamburger Dan
Best damn gif ever. Thank you very much, I enjoy your posts.
AgEng06
AG
Woody2006 said:

What's wrong with princesses? Have you been with a girl who was raised to think she's a princess?

It's the worst.
Don't talk to me like that, you sonofabeech, I'm a princess!
BombayAg
aTm2004 said:

They became bad the moment I had a daughter and I felt the need to treat her like one and have lost all ability to tell her "no."

That is because you a cowardly wimp. You need to grow balls and man the F up.

Yesterday.
I tell my 10 year old daughter 15 minutes of bedtime story every night where we cuddle and I read it to her. She loves it and it's a long time tradition. She did not do her studying in the evening and spent her time watching videos on Youtube. I was pissed.
No story time.
She begged, she pleaded, she made all her cute faces.

No means no. Next time she will learn. Do your work, you get the benefits. You laze around, you get NOTHING. Yes, daddy can be a jerk. But for your good.

It's not easy. In Hinduism we call it "Dharma" or the right path. Do what is right selflessly. She was angry at me yesterday but she will love me for it tomorrow when she grows up. If she does not, it is okay too as I have done my Dharma.
BombayAg
Woody2006 said:

It's the worst.

Nothing wrong with being a princess. My wife was brainwashing my daughter to "not be a princess" as it that was a bad thing. I said let her do what she wants, she is a kid. Teach her to be strong and brave. Not "don't be a princess".
I definitely want my daughter to be girly but also be strong and ambitious.
Martin Q. Blank
Of all the Disney princesses to emulate, I want my daughter to be Snow White, Aurora, Belle or Cinderella. Graceful, humble, kind, etc.

Not strong, disrespectful, independent, etc. like the "progressive" princesses.
DevilD77
AG
My daughter is 31. I still call her princess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BombayAg
DevilD77 said:

My daughter is 31. I still call her princess.
chipotle
This thread needs an obscure gif:

Hamburger Dan
I've been around HS kids everyday for over 30 years - for the most part, snowflake and princess is interchangeable.
Aggies Revenge
AG
My daughter loves to dress up as a princess. She also has no problem throat punching a kid when the time comes. It is pretty easy to teach them they can be both a bad ass and a princess.
bmc13
AG
Woody2006
AG
BombayAg said:

Woody2006 said:

It's the worst.

Nothing wrong with being a princess. My wife was brainwashing my daughter to "not be a princess" as it that was a bad thing. I said let her do what she wants, she is a kid. Teach her to be strong and brave. Not "don't be a princess".
Girls with princess issues grow up with wildly unrealistic expectations of how life should be for them and they inevitably end up very disappointed by reality.
chipotle
Aggies Revenge said:

My daughter loves to dress up as a princess. She also has no problem throat punching a kid when the time comes. It is pretty easy to teach them they can be both a bad ass and a princess.

She's not a princess. She's a WARRIOR princesss! YayYayYayYaayyyyyy!
HBCanine08
AG
Woody2006 said:

BombayAg said:

Woody2006 said:

It's the worst.

Girls with princess issues grow up with wildly unrealistic expectations of how life should be for them and they inevitably end up very disappointed by reality.
Or they end up as "instagram models" on a free flight to Dubai. Either way, they're going to be disappointed.
BombayAg
Woody2006 said:

BombayAg said:

Woody2006 said:

It's the worst.

Hmm maybe our definitions of "princess" are vastly different...
I would say the girls who are girly, dress like princesses (occasionally) etc. That is okay. The Mean Girls type chicks are not.
Woody2006
AG
BombayAg said:

Woody2006 said:

BombayAg said:

Woody2006 said:

It's the worst.

Hmm maybe our definitions of "princess" are vastly different...
I would say the girls who are girly, dress like princesses (occasionally) etc. That is okay. The Mean Girls type chicks are not.
I mean if you're talking about a 5-year old girl pretending to be a princess that's one thing.

A woman who grew up her whole life being treated as if she were a princess carries a ton of baggage from that experience. She will almost certainly think she is more important than she really is, have unrealistic expectations about relationships and ultimately be an unhappy person. Perpetually disappointed because life didn't turn out like the fairy-tale she fantasized about her whole childhood.

There is a point at which you should stop treating your daughter like she is more special than other girls or "daddy's little princess". I don't know exactly when that time is but it's definitely before she becomes a teenager.
PrincessButtercup
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

DrHeadShrink said:

Some of the time.
I never should have told you italics bother me.

I hate the princess complex. I will never tell my daughters they are princesses. They won't be unless I marry a king... and I just sort of doubt that is going to happen.
PrincessButtercup
AG
chipotle said:

This thread needs an obscure gif:

I can hear her voice saying it. She's so cute.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ignatius_of_Silesia
It's good to be King, if just for a while, to be there in velvet, yeah to give em a smile.
rhoswen
AG
All I know is whenever I see an "Aggie Princess" window decal, that princess can't drive for *****
Woody2006
AG
rhoswen said:

All I know is whenever I see an "Aggie Princess" window decal, that princess can't drive for *****

That's sounds like a rectangle / square situation.

As in all women are bad drivers, but not all women identify as princesses.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.