Texas Monthly's Top 10 Texas BBQ places

21,465 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lungblood
Slicer97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get a smoker. $40 Brinkmann water smoker with a few mods will get you reasonably close.
champagnepapi
Slicer97 said:

Get a smoker. $40 Brinkmann water smoker with a few mods will get you reasonably close.

Will invest.
Tanya 93
Snow's has the best chicken.

I should order a few.
Slicer97
AG
Getting chicken at a bbq joint is like going to to a texmex joint and ordering a hamburger.
mm98
AG
Disagree. A good smoked chicken is one of my favorites at a BBQ joint.
GinaLinetti
AG
Truth in brenham is really really good. As long as the list doesn't include salt lick I feel it's valid.
Tanya 93
Slicer97 said:

Getting chicken at a bbq joint is like going to to a texmex joint and ordering a hamburger.
Do you not know who you are quoting?
Slicer97
AG
Of course I know. I still feel compelled to cast dispersion upon your opinions in culinary matters though. I'm sure you understand.
Tanya 93
Slicer97 said:

Of course I know. I still feel compelled to cast dispersion upon your opinions in culinary matters though. I'm sure you understand.
I made pork chops last night.

They said they were good.
toucan82
Burgers from home in the wall Mexican restaurants rule
ChoppinDs40
AG
Cattleack is damn good.
80s Guy
Slicer97 said:

While I have been known to throw a yard bird on the smoker just because I can when smoking better meats, the bald one is correct.
Claude!
Tanya 93 said:

Slicer97 said:

I made pork chops last night.

They said they were good.

I think you're burying the lede here. Your pork chops were talking?
ViralAg
Slicer97 said:

Kreuz was one of the worst bbq experiences I've ever had. Asked for lean brisket, was served shoulder clod which tasted like it was roasted in a conventional oven. The sausage was a tube of grease with little chunks of meat floating in it.

If ever bbq needed sauce, this was it.

The surliness of the counter folks made up for the lack of sides and utensils though.

Kreuz is absolutely god ****ing awful, no doubt. I've had the same experience as you, multiple times. It only stays in business because there are a bunch of old ass fogies in Lockhart who go there for no reason other than that they've been going there for years. It is beyond terrible, and the people who work there are definitely pr*cks. Every time I am forced to go there, I go to the counter and ask for sauce just to annoy them. When they arrogantly respond that they don't have sauce, I tell them that they serve the driest, most flavorless meat I've ever tasted, and that they really need to start serving sauce with it. I've now had that exchange on three or four occasions.
ENG
AG
ViralAg said:

Slicer97 said:

Kreuz was one of the worst bbq experiences I've ever had. Asked for lean brisket, was served shoulder clod which tasted like it was roasted in a conventional oven. The sausage was a tube of grease with little chunks of meat floating in it.

The surliness of the counter folks made up for the lack of sides and utensils though.

Kreuz is absolutely god ****ing awful, no doubt. I've had the same experience as you, multiple times. It only stays in business because there are a bunch of old ass fogies in Lockhart who go there for no reason other than that they've been going there for years. It is beyond terrible, and the people who work there are definitely pr*cks. Every time I am forced to go there, I go to the counter and ask for sauce just to annoy them. When they arrogantly respond that they don't have sauce, I tell them that they serve the driest, most flavorless meat I've ever tasted, and that they really need to start serving sauce with it. I've now had that exchange on three or four occasions.
atag
AG
Corkscrew is the best in houston imo....i hated it when they moved because is used to be behind the heb corporate office. Every time I had a meeting there I had lunch to look forward to.
hunterntexas
AG
I would like to add the brisket queso from Redneck Heaven here by Six Flags to the list.
Being served by some "hot" trailer park trash makes it taste even better.
Hamburger Dan
I've been to many on that list over the years, they are all good. It was good to see a " local" on that list. Evie Mae's, just west of the loop in Lubbock at #9. I just moved to Lubbock about a year ago. They were running a food truck a year and a half ago. Now they have a brick and mortar building, and adding a new pit soon. Well worth standing in line for.
superunknown
AG
Slicer97 said:

Lol @ lean brisket. Why bother?
ViralAg
superunknown said:

Slicer97 said:

I like having abs. It's easier to keep my abs when I eat leaner protein.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Kreuz does serve shoulder clod, not brisket. They also cook at 600 degrees +

That place went to **** 20 years ago.

I would go so far to say that all the BBQ joints in Lockhart have been living on an unfounded reputation for decades. Smitty's, Blacks, Chisolm...none of them should be in the top 50 BBQ places in Texas.
Shelton98
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Has anybody had the burnt end boudin from Bodacious?

I have the urge to drive 4 hours just to try it

Nope. I work about 2 miles from there, but when we go out for BBQ we go to a place called Carter's..... damn good BBQ and they know how to get people in and out.
Gil Renard
AG
ViralAg said:

superunknown said:

Slicer97 said:

I like having abs. It's easier to keep my abs when I eat leaner protein.

Brah!
OregonAggie
AG
Woobie said:

Kreuz does serve shoulder clod, not brisket. They also cook at 600 degrees +

That place went to **** 20 years ago.

I would go so far to say that all the BBQ joints in Lockhart have been living on an unfounded reputation for decades. Smitty's, Blacks, Chisolm...none of them should be in the top 50 BBQ places in Texas.

Kreuz sells both brisket and shoulder clod.
AustinCountyAg
Zimmerhanzels in Smithville..... Best ribs in TX
KidDoc
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Zimmerhanzels in Smithville..... Best ribs in TX
If you can get there early enough, they always sold out of ribs so quickly when I lived there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
coupland boy
AG
I prefer Davis barbeque in Taylor to Mueller's. Mueller's has become a tourist attraction which is good for Taylor but personally not worth waiting in line so long. Davis has replaced Muellers as the hometown joint.
Leander - Ag
AG
Mueller's = rip off

CaddoAggie96
AG
Outlaws in Daingerfield is pretty damn good.
wxguy95
AG
gigem70 said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

I'm a big fan of Railhead in Fort Worth, but that's because I enjoy fatty brisket & fall off the bone ribs. Their fries are also great.

The $2 schooners don't hurt either.
Railhead has some of the best ribs I've ever had and their fries with grilled onions are outstanding,
Railhead has been inconsistent for me (but I get only brisket).

Angelo's is spot on with their brisket every time I've eaten there. Not sure if they don't get love for the rest of their offerings.

Big D's in Mansfield is my top spot right now. They are serving some amazing food right now.

Either way, I suspect that some of these 'old school' places are left off since there isn't a hipster with a neck beard serving up the food. There also seems to be an Austin bias, probably due to the fact the mag is there so there are more chances to impress.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Every time I am forced to go there, I go to the counter and ask for sauce just to annoy them. When they arrogantly respond that they don't have sauce, I tell them that they serve the driest, most flavorless meat I've ever tasted, and that they really need to start serving sauce with it. I've now had that exchange on three or four occasions.
This never happened.
PrincessButtercup
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

KidDoc said:

aggiebrother33 said:

Been to Truth multiple times, I would put it tops on my list that I've had. Haven't heard of a couple of those but think Truth is in point. Only Thur-Sat I believe.
The wife & I are taking up golf with the kiddos aging out of the house. I'm planning a Saturday morning road trip to play at the Brenham golf course then lunch @ Truth.
let us know how the country club in Brenham is over on the golf board. I haven't played out there in 10 years or so. Course was extremely average and overpriced then. I'm curious how it is these days

I worked there in 2010 and it wasn't great.

Ummmm I'm from Brenham and have never heard of Truth. Did that used to be Big Daddy's?
PrincessButtercup
AG
CherryLodes said:

Truth in brenham is really really good. As long as the list doesn't include salt lick I feel it's valid.

When did that open? Must be fairly recent..
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Truth is where J's used to be. Across from the bowling alley.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Truth is where J's used to be. Across from the bowling alley.

Oh way out there. I didn't know there was anything exciting in that part of town.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.