Texas Monthly's Top 10 Texas BBQ places

21,594 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lungblood
Al Bula
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Im not going to stand in line for 45 minutes for BBQ.
people who wait in line for BBQ are most definitely idiots.
aggiepublius
AG
cr0wbar said:

Good list - but leaving Ronnie Killen out of Top 10 smells political to me.

#NotMyTop10BestBBQinTxList
Killen's is just outside the Top 10 based on the score listed on the full Top 50 breakdown
FabricatorAg
City Market in Luling was 49 last year. What a ****ing joke. I feel like bbq is slowly being taken over by hipster's and people out for an "experience" instead of what's on the butcher paper.

Wear black frame glasses or flannel, use real wood, be a ******, and open in Austin....the key to making the top 10 for Tx monthly. Frankly, who the hell are these people making this list?
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
Burrus86
AG
If it was truly the best BBQ in the State, the top ten list would exclusively include members from the Outdoor Board......
Wicked Good Ag
RPM said:

AgGrad99 said:

Im not going to stand in line for 45 minutes for BBQ.
people who wait in line for BBQ are most definitely idiots.

Too each their own. It is about preferences. I find the concept of waiting for 30-45 mins for BBQ to be no problem but others would but those same people will wait outside of Cheddars for an hour for a table.

Are people who wait in a line for a roller coaster idiots as well because I know very few amusement parks that don't have any lines even with a "flash pass" for $80 a day extra. What I am saying is some people have no problem talking to people whether it is in a line or in general especially when you have something in common

jah003
S
The Franklin line is essentially tailgating... Except at the end of Franklin tailgating you get delicious brisket instead of another disappointing loss...
Capstone
AG
Corkscrew, in old town Spring is legit. I'm not a huge fan of brisket, but will suffer the line/number pulling to get theirs.
Max Power
AG
chipotle said:

Rudy's is like the Whataburger of the BBQ world. It may not be the best but it's ight in a pinch. I feel like they should at least get an honorable mention in the ad soaked liberal pages of this month's austin smut.
Living out of state I would pay top dollar for Rudy's these days, or Whataburger. Damn, I miss Texas.
champagnepapi
Kreuz
Corps_Ag12
AG
I'm a big fan of Railhead in Fort Worth, but that's because I enjoy fatty brisket & fall off the bone ribs. Their fries are also great.

The $2 schooners don't hurt either.
WestTexasAg
AG
Evie Mae's in Wolfforth is amazing!

Hard to beat the Ponderosa in Dickens, TX as well.
aggiebrother33
Been to Truth multiple times, I would put it tops on my list that I've had. Haven't heard of a couple of those but think Truth is in point. Only Thur-Sat I believe.
The Fife
Why the hell isn't Bill Miller's on the list?
DifferenceMaker Ag
1. My House
2. My House
3. My House
4. My House
5. My House
6. My House
7. My House
8. My House
9. My House
10. My House
Slicer97
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Snows is right down the road from me. Gotta try it sometime.

You should remedy this ASAP. Just get there before 930. What I usually do is fill a small ice chest with hot water and take an old towel that can get greasy.

Order a couple pounds of brisket and whatever other meats suit your fancy (the other meats are anywhere from really good to average, but the brisket is outstanding), unsliced. After the meat is wrapped in foil, wrap that in the towel, dump the water and stick it in the chest. Just keep the lid closed and it will still be steaming hot at lunch time.
treetop flyer
Pecan lodge in Dallas used to make these lists. Have they fallen off? Haven't been in a while.
Leeman
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

1. My House
2. My House
3. My House
4. My House
5. My House
6. My House
7. My House
8. My House
9. My House
10. My House

Wrong.

My House is the best.
Rusty GCS
AG
Has anybody had the burnt end boudin from Bodacious?

I have the urge to drive 4 hours just to try it
Rusty GCS
AG
Max Power said:

chipotle said:

Rudy's is like the Whataburger of the BBQ world. It may not be the best but it's ight in a pinch. I feel like they should at least get an honorable mention in the ad soaked liberal pages of this month's austin smut.
Living out of state I would pay top dollar for Rudy's these days, or Whataburger. Damn, I miss Texas.

Here.
KidDoc
AG
aggiebrother33 said:

Been to Truth multiple times, I would put it tops on my list that I've had. Haven't heard of a couple of those but think Truth is in point. Only Thur-Sat I believe.
The wife & I are taking up golf with the kiddos aging out of the house. I'm planning a Saturday morning road trip to play at the Brenham golf course then lunch @ Truth.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AustinCountyAg
KidDoc said:

aggiebrother33 said:

The wife & I are taking up golf with the kiddos aging out of the house. I'm planning a Saturday morning road trip to play at the Brenham golf course then lunch @ Truth.
let us know how the country club in Brenham is over on the golf board. I haven't played out there in 10 years or so. Course was extremely average and overpriced then. I'm curious how it is these days
OregonAggie
AG
No sir. You and Leeman are both wrong.

It's my house.

Last weekend

[URL=.html][/URL]

Two weekends ago

[URL=.html][/URL]
Tex117
AG
treetop flyer said:

Pecan lodge in Dallas used to make these lists. Have they fallen off? Haven't been in a while.
Fallen off? No. But they have lost a step just due to the amount of BBQ they have to produce. It is a Deep Ellum/Dallas attraction at this point. Any major sporting event held in Dallas, and the tourists all come line up (as well as locals). The line still goes out the door.

Don't get me wrong, its still excellent (especially when you consider the operation they are running now), but its not that truly god-tier bbq they were serving at their stall in the Farmers Market.

Wildcat
AG
I took some fellow geeks to Pecan Lodge the last time I was in DFW for a meeting. It did not disappoint.

I'm surprised the places in Mason didn't make the list. But I haven't been in one of them in 15 years.

Madaman
the one time i went to snows about 4 years ago, i wasn't that impressed. the brisket was extremely tender, but basically had no flavor.
Slicer97
AG
Last time I had it, it tasted like smoked beef and pepper.
Madaman
outlaw had pretty good bbq in giddings back when they were around. haven't seen them in a few years though.
gigem70
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I'm a big fan of Railhead in Fort Worth, but that's because I enjoy fatty brisket & fall off the bone ribs. Their fries are also great.

The $2 schooners don't hurt either.
Railhead has some of the best ribs I've ever had and their fries with grilled onions are outstanding,
ENG
AG
Heim in Fort Worth is strong and well deserved to be on this list
champagnepapi
Slicer97 said:

Last time I had it, it tasted like smoked beef and pepper.

Give this place a try man. My family and I have been going for years. Always a nice small roadtrip from S.A. to Lockhart. They have a place in Bryan now too.

If you don't like something there, I will PERSONALLY send you the money for the cost of your meal.

chipotle
champagnepapi said:

If you don't like something there, I will PERSONALLY send you the money for the cost of your meal.

LMAO!!!! Noted. Free food everyone.
Biz Ag
AG
Damn, that looks good Oregon!
Slicer97
AG
Kreuz was one of the worst bbq experiences I've ever had. Asked for lean brisket, was served shoulder clod which tasted like it was roasted in a conventional oven. The sausage was a tube of grease with little chunks of meat floating in it.

If ever bbq needed sauce, this was it.

The surliness of the counter folks made up for the lack of sides and utensils though.
champagnepapi
Slicer97 said:

Kreuz was one of the worst bbq experiences I've ever had. Asked for lean brisket, was served shoulder clod which tasted like it was roasted in a conventional oven. The sausage was a tube of grease with little chunks of meat floating in it.

If ever bbq needed sauce, this was it.

The surliness of the counter folks made up for the lack of sides and utensils though.

Haha well at least you got options brother. Nothing but Vinegar Based Pork "BBQ" with a mound of sauerkraut on top! N.C. ain't got sh*t! I would kill for an HEB Oven ready Brisket.......its that bad. I would kill to walk in an HEB.
OregonAggie
AG
Thank you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.