Texas Monthly's Top 10 Texas BBQ places

21,389 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lungblood
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OldArmy91 said:

GtownRAB said:

Josepi said:

Bocephus said:

Josepi said:

I can think of 3 or 4 locations just in Longview, then there's others in the surrounding area. The bodacious in Lakeport was owned by Gary Adams and after some type of falling out with the Bodacious 'franchise' owner, it became Adam's Rib. His place was hands down better than any other Bodacious around, probably because of the conveyor rack custom smoker he used. Gary passed a few years ago and it has a new owner, not as good but probably just as good as Bodacious. Franklin's is at the top because of liberal hipsters/propaganda. If you don't cook a brisket 1hr per pound I don't care how much secret sauce you slap on it....it aint gonna be worth a damn.

Adam's Rib is now owned by one of the former managers of my restaurant and his father. It is pretty good compared to Bodacious, but Gary Adams had it going on too.
Here4Beer
AG
It's great stuff. On Saturdays they do breakfast before 10:30 and their brisket tacos are out of this world. Also, I highly recommend their Micheleda.
Josepi
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Bocephus said:

Josepi said:

Quote:

4)Bodacious-Longview

This one surprised me. I used to go there a lot. Not because it was good...just because it was convenient. Then it shut down for a long while. I guess the new owner has really upped the quality. That's great to hear. I will give it a try again.

Bodacious as a whole is so hit or miss. I love the one in Mt Pleasant. Dont like the one in Tyler.

I thought the one in Longview was horrible. This was 3 years ago though so maybe it has changed.
I live in Longview and Bodacious is a joke compared some of the places I've eaten at in Texas. That being said they are hit or miss. The best one is on Mobberly across from Letourneau University, which has a different owner than the others.

How did Coopers in Llano not make the list? I've never eaten better barbecue in my life.

Every Bodacious has a different owner. That's why some are good and some aren't. The only unifying factor is the sauce. Every Bodacious has ro have the same sauce, but that's it. Different smokers. Different meat vendors. Different wood. Different cooking methods, etc... Anyone who thinks Bodacious is a joke doesn't know what they are talking about. Some are a joke, and some are good.
Dalhousietrio
Had lunch at Tejas in Tomball today...the best brisket I've tasted.
HC
The best BBQ joint in Texas, possibly the entire world, is in Lockhart, TX, and it is named Chisholm Trail.
PetrolAg
AG
SMAggie2007 said:

Tejas is great! It's across Main St from the Depot. Before this article they were Tomball's best kept secret. They would be busy, but nothing like the last week. I think they sold out every day last week. Now there line is out the door and the down the street. You should definitely try it out, but go early!
They're even considering doing away with breakfast tacos on saturdays just to handle the lunch crowd. That would be a huge bummer. Their breakfast tacos and pastrami hash were killer. Here's some photos from a coursed dinner they did on valentines day:

duffelpud
AG
Griffin's just missed making the list - them brains shure is sweet!

phatbc
ViralAg said:

superunknown said:

Slicer97 said:

Kreuz was one of the worst bbq experiences I've ever had. Asked for lean brisket, was served shoulder clod which tasted like it was roasted in a conventional oven. The sausage was a tube of grease with little chunks of meat floating in it.

If ever bbq needed sauce, this was it.

The surliness of the counter folks made up for the lack of sides and utensils though.

Lol @ lean brisket. Why bother?

I like having abs. It's easier to keep my abs when I eat leaner protein.

the word you are looking for is carbs
boy09
AG
HC said:

The best BBQ joint in Texas, possibly the entire world, is in Lockhart, TX, and it is named Chisholm Trail.

Lol. No.
HC
boy09 said:

HC said:

Lol. No.
trust me. You don't know good BBQ
Wes97
AG
The best BBQ hasn't been from anyplace in Lockhart in a long time.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Can we all just agree that Texas-style barbecue is the best?
HC
Wes97 said:

I'm sorry you are wrong
cr0wbar
AG
Had Corkscrew Friday after the Buffett concert

• Half Rack of Ribs
  • 1.5 lbs 'moist' brisket
  • Potato salad
  • Baked beans
  • Spicy pico
  • apple cobbler

Rusty GCS
AG
Had the munchies?
chipotle
cr0wbar said:

Had Corkscrew Friday after the Buffett concert

• Half Rack of Ribs
  • 1.5 lbs 'moist' brisket
  • Potato salad
  • Baked beans
  • Spicy pico
  • apple cobbler

The cheap bread dressed across the layout is just as hilarious as the handful of celery restaurants give you with your hot wings.
Jack Cheese
AG
Take Tejas "Craftory" off the list. Brooks Place is better and you don't have to wait an hour.

Brisket ok/good but sausage suuuuucks.

And "craftory". Jeezus.
agcrock2005
AG
HC said:

Wes97 said:

I'm sorry you are wrong
If you think the best bbq in Texas is found in Lockhart, then I'm sorry but you are very wrong and are missing out on some really good BBQ. Lockhart has the history but they've been getting blown out by some really good places up in the Austin area for 5 years or so. Not even comparable to the Franklins, Snows, Micklethwaits of Central Texas.
Rusty GCS
AG
Y'all sure are snobby about BBQ. Most of these places all taste damn near the same.

It'd be like me arguing over who makes the best boiled crawfish.
979ag
AG
KidDoc said:

Anyone been to Truth? Brenham isn't too far from BCS I could justify a road trip on a weekend for good bbq.
Truth is the absolute TRUTH. Get there early and try everything
KidDoc
AG
wadehill10 said:

KidDoc said:

Anyone been to Truth? Brenham isn't too far from BCS I could justify a road trip on a weekend for good bbq.
Truth is the absolute TRUTH. Get there early and try everything
Eh it looks like we will be late and try whatever is left haha. Plan to try and get a round of golf in at Brenham country club first and I stink at golf so that will take close to four hours most likely. I'm assuming they will have brisket & sausage left over between 12-1 I'm not counting on ribs or anything.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG
Gotta have Gatlin's in Houston.
mm98
AG
astros4545 said:

I'm from Tomball and have never heard of the place they list from Tomball

Anyone know anything?
My coworkers went there two weeks ago. Have not stopped raving about it. Suppose I'll have to check it out soon.

Jack Cheese
AG
mm98 said:

astros4545 said:

I'm from Tomball and have never heard of the place they list from Tomball

Anyone know anything?
My coworkers went there two weeks ago. Have not stopped raving about it. Suppose I'll have to check it out soon.

See my post above. The word "craftory" tells you all you need to know... hipster pretentiousness, no substance. You're better off going to corkscrew. Top 10 ranking is laughable.
AgsMyDude
AG
Bill Millers
Lungblood
It's pronounced Beel Meeeeler's

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.